Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I can post photos if anyone wants to see them, I ordered the Pitaka Pro series 4 for the 15 ProMax.

- For those worried about it being a fingerprint magnet- it isn't that bad. But if you're someone who wears lotion on their hands then I would definitely not recommend this case. I've been using the case for 3 days and can count on one hand how many times I've had to wipe the phone case on my pants (I do have moderately dry hands though, and it's getting colder outside). The magsafe does leave a ring on the phone though (this goes away with a wipe).

- The biggest concern everyone had was the inside of the buttons being raw metal. They are indeed metal, but they're black metal so there's some form of coating on them. Further, the buttons are entirely flush with absolutely no wiggle to them. I don't see how it's possible in any way to scratch your actual phone buttons.

- The phone case is extremely stiff and I feel saying that is a understatement. It's STIFF stiff. There is nothing remotely soft about this case. The website claims they used Nappa leather on the inside but I have no idea where they put said Nappa leather. There isn't a millimeter of leather inside the case. There is a "soft" sorta felt lining on the inside backing, but it's so thin you can barely feel it.

- Lastly, build quality. This is by far the best built and designed phone case I've ever held. There isn't a single flaw with it. The build tolerances are TIGHT. And it's not only beautiful but feels like you're holding a piece of art. I've had multiple people remark on it and the lady who helped me at the Apple store was blown away by the case. It truly is well made.

Last edited:

Paul1980

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2020
United Kingdom
I’ve got a UAG Pathfinder clear ash on my 15PM at the moment but also have a Caudabe Sheath coming over from the US to the UK. Caudabe cases are superb!

Advent0903

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2021
I can post photos if anyone wants to see them, I ordered the Pitaka Pro series 4 for the 15 ProMax.

- For those worried about it being a fingerprint magnet- it isn't that bad. But if you're someone who wears lotion on their hands then I would definitely not recommend this case. I've been using the case for 3 days and can count on one hand how many times I've had to wipe the phone case on my pants (I do have moderately dry hands though, and it's getting colder outside). The magsafe does leave a ring on the phone though (this goes away with a wipe).

- The biggest concern everyone had was the inside of the buttons being raw metal. They are indeed metal, but they're black metal so there's some form of coating on them. Further, the buttons are entirely flush with absolutely no wiggle to them. I don't see how it's possible in any way to scratch your actual phone buttons.

- The phone case is extremely stiff and I feel saying that is a understatement. It's STIFF stiff. But there is nothing remotely soft about this case. The website claims they used Nappa leather on the inside but I have no idea where they put said Nappa leather. There isn't a millimeter of leather inside the case. There is a "soft" sorta felt lining on the inside backing, but it's so thin you can barely feel it.

- Lastly, build quality. This is by far the best built and designed phone case I've ever held. There isn't a single flaw with it. The build tolerances are TIGHT. And it's not only beautiful but feels like you're holding a piece of art. I've had multiple people remark on it and the lady who helped me at the Apple store was blown away by the case. It truly is well made.
Thats interesting. I too previously have ordered for my iphone 15 pro max and canceled it. I think the concern is mostly the metal buttons. As normally for such case to be install since its gonna be rigid it had to go in volume button side( sideways ) first then push it in. Which over the period of time does the friction damage the finish on the device since the button of the device is potrude it will push against the flush side of the metal buttons of the case. ( trying my best to describe). Will be interesting to find out how it goes

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Not to be a brand ambassador, but the Ringke onyx with MagSafe is solid. I’m normally one to buy 20+ cases for the same reasons you’ve stated. I returned one speck case and cancelled the dbrand grip because this case is what I think a good case should be (slim, grippy, strong MagSafe and good camera protection).
How is your metal camera protector thingy going to work with the Ringke Onyx?

Reactions: UnjustifiedBot

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have had a lot of cases in the past, but I am trending towards fewer and fewer. I will miss the Apple leather since the fit and button feel was just so good. I always buy at least one Apple silicone for the same reasons. For leather I am going to try a Mujjo for the first time. I have had Bullstrap for my 13Pro, but the Max is big enough without adding extra thickness.

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
Thats interesting. I too previously have ordered for my iphone 15 pro max and canceled it. I think the concern is mostly the metal buttons. As normally for such case to be install since its gonna be rigid it had to go in volume button side( sideways ) first then push it in. Which over the period of time does the friction damage the finish on the device since the button of the device is potrude it will push against the flush side of the metal buttons of the case. ( trying my best to describe). Will be interesting to find out how it goes

I get what you're saying, taking the phone in and out of the case will overtime cause scratches to the coating of the phone buttons. Like I said in my previous post, the design tolerances to the case are the tightest I've ever seen. Even if I use the tip of my fingernail and only press the corner edge of the case button, the entire button uniformly depresses. I just don't see how it's possible to scratch the buttons with button use. Taking it off and on I can't vouch for. I only take my phone out of the case maybe a few times a year for a cleaning. And dust getting inside this case is going to be one heck of a surprise considering how tight it is.

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
  • Wow
Reactions: ChoiMinji

Hedo

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
I'm really disappointed in reading about the Andar leather cases with the cut out making the action button difficult to press, both on this forum and Reddit. I paid 25$ just for shipping the darn thing to Norway, it arrives on Monday as I wasn't home when Fedex came by with it last Friday.

Andar pulled a fast one by making the case without the action button or a proper cut out, I will not give them any more money as a 20-30% discount on a case with an actual button is not good enough. Returning the case will be expensive so I'm stuck with it and will give it a go but I´m already using the action button quite a bit in launching the camera, so if it's difficult to press with the case on I won't enjoy using it. Thought I bought from a company with a good reputation but this shows that you can't always trust past greatness.

Think I will be buying either a Decoded or Nomad leather case as I don't have to import those from abroad.

For those who own the Nomad leather case, is it still a bit sharp in the cut outs on the bottom. The one I own for my 14 Pro Max got little use as it hurt my pinky. With the lower weight of the 15 Pro Max this might not be as a big of an annoyance.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
It won’t. It’s sitting in my “phone drawer” with the rest of the things phone related.
My Ringke magnetic onyx had reverse saggy top and I sent it back. Might just have to try another one in the near future.

Did you try the Ringke metal camera thingy and how did it fit?

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I’m reporting you to Tim Cook for circumventing Apple’s overpriced acce$$orie$.

Some of these replicas appears well made.
Okay good, thank you. Hopefully you filing a complaint will inspire Apple to lower prices/?- 😊🌸

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I wanted to go caseless but the phone is just too darn slick. Right now I’m using a Spigen Ultra Hybrid ($14 at Amazon) until I find a patterned case to my liking. The Spigen has a very tight fit.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I'm really disappointed in reading about the Andar leather cases with the cut out making the action button difficult to press, both on this forum and Reddit. I paid 25$ just for shipping the darn thing to Norway, it arrives on Monday as I wasn't home when Fedex came by with it last Friday.

Andar pulled a fast one by making the case without the action button or a proper cut out, I will not give them any more money as a 20-30% discount on a case with an actual button is not good enough. Returning the case will be expensive so I'm stuck with it and will give it a go but I´m already using the action button quite a bit in launching the camera, so if it's difficult to press with the case on I won't enjoy using it. Thought I bought from a company with a good reputation but this shows that you can't always trust past greatness.

Think I will be buying either a Decoded or Nomad leather case as I don't have to import those from abroad.

For those who own the Nomad leather case, is it still a bit sharp in the cut outs on the bottom. The one I own for my 14 Pro Max got little use as it hurt my pinky. With the lower weight of the 15 Pro Max this might not be as a big of an annoyance.
Yeah that’s a pain in the ass, sorry to hear that. My thoughts exactly, 20-30% ain’t it… hopefully they come to their senses because they will most certainly lose some customers because of situations like yours.

Reactions: Hedo

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
My Ringke magnetic onyx had reverse saggy top and I sent it back. Might just have to try another one in the near future.

Did you try the Ringke metal camera thingy and how did it fit?
I would try it again.

I didn’t even try the camera protector. I got the phone, tried the onyx and immediately returned the speck and canceled my grip. I’m so burned out on spending $100’s on cases. I’m good.

Reactions: Hooterville

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Which ones have you looked at ?

pretty much all of the leather ones that were posted in here. i would like it to feel and look "premium", if i'm gonna give up the naked feel.

i do kinda like the look of the pitaka cases though.

also like the look of the native union "reclassic", but bit worried about the quality after pics i've seen here.

might also give finewoven a stance. but currently don't trust it to look good after a couple of months.

Reactions: bigup

appletvbob

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Amazon clear el-cheapo of course. Best 6 bucks I ever spend on a new iPhone. (8+ then 12pro now 15 Pro Max)

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Has anyone used Ghostek before? I know I said no more cases, but I’ve been eyeing this one.

IMG_0176.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm using the evergreen color FineWoven on my new 15 Pro. Ordered it along with the phone sight-unseen. It's fine, really. Will keep it for now unless something else amazing catches my eye.

Reactions: timeconsumer

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
My Caudabe Sheath Gray is on back order.

Meanwhile the Apple silicone case is keeping my phone protected. It’s my first Apple silicone case - love the Winter Blue color and I’m curious how long it’s going to hold up before it falls apart. Anyone know if I clean it with an alcohol wipe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.