Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Akor

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
Original Leather fron last years 14 PM. It fits

g8xva3.jpg do4m53.jpg

Kaulini

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2023
counterfit Apple silicon case with nfc chip to recognise it as genuine, and good magnets, but for 1/5th of the price of official.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Same as always - Caudabe Sheath. Perfect balance between protection and thickness. Edge to protect lenses and front. Texture that does not show fingerprints and has grip. My iPhone 12 case looks almost new after 3 years.

Thanks. What does the Sheath feel like? is it similar in grippiness to the Apple Silicon, or more grippy, or less?

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I've tried 5 cases.

1) Apple fine Woven.... utter garbage for $60

2) Mujjo Leather - feels like crap, fit is bad and it smells of chemicals

3) Lonli Classic - Feels like plastic

4) Lonli Edition - now this one surprised me given the classic was awful. It claims to be full grain leather and feels very nice. It DOES have an actual button for the action button despite the pictures on amazon showing a cutout. The buttons look a bit crooked when on the phone though and the area around the volume buttons pushed away from the phone a bit. Could probably live with that especially given the price. However, reviews for the 14 pro edition case had a lot of people showing theirs peeling....so while it might feel like good leather, I'm not sure it is. The lip protecting the cameras is just barely high enough to clear the lenses so not great there.

5) Andar Aspen - I keep coming back to this case over the Lonli Edition. The leather just seems to be actual full grain. I wish it had a button instead of a cutout for the action button (I'm sure they will release one soon). I would prefer matching color buttons and camera surround to black, but not a deal breaker.

I'll probably keep the Lonli Edition and Andar Aspen...the others are going back for sure. If you order the Lonli, be sure it's the Edition...the Classic is trash. Crazy since it's the same company, same price.

As a side note, titanium in black at least sucks to clean. at least with mirrored stainless fingerprints wipe right off. This matte titanium stains and it takes moisture and microfiber to buff it off. That paired with the aluminum internal frame and the results of the bend and drop tests and Apple has gone backwards in durability. Reminds me of the 6 Plus bendgate issues. Makes me really paranoid swapping cases. They should have gone with brushed stainless or at least kept the internal frame steel. It ain't THAT much lighter. Maybe those with the natural titanium are faring better.

Some comparison pics.
Check out Decoded for a decent leather case 👍

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Damn. Doesn’t look like my caudabe synthesis is going to be here before my phone arrives. Only other case I like is the dbrand ghost which isn’t available till October.

Hmm seems I need to grab something from Amazon to tide me over.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2012
I’ve only found out Caudabe. I plan to get 15PM this week if it’s in stock.

For drop protection and to prevent screen and body cracking for the iPhone, which is better for me? Sheath or synthesis? I like the look of the sheath better especially the camera cutout area.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I just spent ours trying to find the right case for me and every time i think i finally found one, i find something about it i don't like. 😂

too bulky, ugly cutouts, bad quality (thanks for the pictures in here), ugly camera protection ring, etc...

it's impossible!

bigup

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
United Kingdom
I just spent ours trying to find the right case for me and every time i think i finally found one, i find something about it i don't like. 😂

too bulky, ugly cutouts, bad quality (thanks for the pictures in here), ugly camera protection ring, etc...

it's impossible!
Which ones have you looked at ?

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA

it's impossible!
Not to be a brand ambassador, but the Ringke onyx with MagSafe is solid. I’m normally one to buy 20+ cases for the same reasons you’ve stated. I returned one speck case and cancelled the dbrand grip because this case is what I think a good case should be (slim, grippy, strong MagSafe and good camera protection).

Reactions: Hooterville

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
Not to be a brand ambassador, but the Ringke onyx with MagSafe is solid. I’m normally one to buy 20+ cases for the same reasons you’ve stated. I returned one speck case and cancelled the dbrand grip because this case is what I think a good case should be (slim, grippy, strong MagSafe and good camera protection).
The sheath is your friend

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The paradox of going caseless is that the phone will look good to begin with however after a few accidents over the span of 1-2 years, it’ll end up with dings, scratches and dents and look like trash.

The paradox of using a case is that your phone will always look as good as new but you’ll rarely get to see it because of the protection.

Jaw3000

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I ordered Spigen Ultra Hybrid MagSafe, a Spigen Mag Armor (basically an updated Liquid Armor with MagSafe), and a Caudabe Sheath in blue. The Sheath is well made, I love the darker blue color, but is quite heavy. The Mag Armor is a great cheaper case. I would recommend it. Inside is covered with fabric. MagSafe is strong. Only downside is the button covers have small slit cut-outs on them where dirt could enter the case, but so does the Sheath. Not sure why they are doing this, other than for clickability. My old Liquid Armor did not have these cutouts, and the buttons clicked fine. I do not like the Ultra Hybrid at all. It's very minimalistic and cheap, and is very slippery. The sides of the case are also sharp and inflexible, and might scratch the phone's frame going in and out. I've also read having a hard back (this is clear polycarbonate) can scratch the back of the phone over time. For the exact same price, the Mag Armor is a lot nicer than the Ultra Hybrid. The Caudbe is a more luxurious and heavier than the Mag Armor, bigger in hand, and probably better made, but I'm not sure it would be a lot more protective for drops.

Reactions: UnjustifiedBot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.