Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone will you be getting?

• iPhone 9 6.1" LCD

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • iPhone X 5.8" OLED

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • iPhone X Plus 6.5" OLED

Votes: 118 51.3%
  • Will not be purchasing new model.

Votes: 50 21.7%

• Total voters

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys,

So I ordered the iPhone X initially but then cancelled it because we saw that it has less usable screen space than the plus models, even though it is a larger screen in terms of area. Especially when things are squeezed, it can look a bit odd. The other problem I had was with the current apps not adjusting to the notch, but this normally takes about 1-2 years to correct and get updates.

I have my eyes firmly set on the iPhone X Plus, from most reports it will be £1000-1100 ish which people in the office are telling me is stupid to be paying that much for an iPhone.

Some of my friends are saying get the cheaper iPhone 9, which will have the same screen layout with the notch - but I have a few problems with that model. The bezel will be thicker around the edge and it will almost definitely be marketed like the 5c, so many colours, plasticy finish and just a bit more bulky look over all. But most importantly the screen, my friends have had oled screens on their Samsungs for years and although in my opinion the latest galaxy and note screens are better, the oled iphone x plus screen will be striking.

So which phone will you guys be getting? Is the massive price of the X Plus justified? iPhone 9 lcd model sensible choice?

Apple-iPhone-X-2018-3-phones.jpg

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I currently have the iPhone 7 Plus with a 5.5 LCD. I am looking forward to having the opportunity to downsize my phone to something a little easier to pocket without losing screen real estate. I would buy the X now but that seems silly when the new ones will traditionally come out next month. Of course if the bigger ones have a "killer feature" I may reconsider.

chsvicks

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2018
Depends on the cost for me.
Will sell my iPhone 8 Plus after the release. If the Xs will be the same as the X last year, I will go for that.
If the Xs Plus goes for 999$ I'll choose the Plus :)

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I think this cheap iPhone 9 model is a direct result of iPhone X performance. It did sell well but not as well as Apple were hoping, and that is why they are aggressively targeting all budgets this time round.

It's a common business practice, for example most Audi and VW cars are exactly the same car in terms of engine, but the trim and design are slightly different so that Audi models are priced higher and more desirable. The outcome is they have a car to sell for all budgets, and more domination of the market.

So Apple will be successfully employing this strategy with three new phones this year.

Reactions: Soulman

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So which phone will you guys be getting? Is the massive price of the X Plus justified? iPhone 9 lcd model sensible choice?

The iPhone 6.5 X price has not been determined yet, so it’s not Necessairly ‘massive’, given that the 5.8 iPhone X might start at $899, where as the 6.5 X might start at $999 as rumors suggest. So there really is not much of a difference if those prices are actually accurate, being the 5.8 might see a price reduction this year. It just depends if someone can justify the price tag.

With the 6.1 LCD iPhone, It will start somewhere around $750 will be a huge selling point, and it’s going to include Face ID, with a similar form factor to the iPhone X. However, it likely will be lacking certain camera capabilities, no OLED display, And may or may not have wireless charging.

The phone with the most constraint this year I suspect will be the 6.1 LCD iPhone strictly because of the price point and the consumers will see a similar experience to the other higher priced iPhones, but still getting that larger form factor with the display.

Last edited:

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
if i ever push the button 'am going back to the plus model, otherwise i'd just wait it out till next year for the real upgrade

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I currently have the iPhone 7 Plus with a 5.5 LCD. I am looking forward to having the opportunity to downsize my phone to something a little easier to pocket without losing screen real estate. I would buy the X now but that seems silly when the new ones will traditionally come out next month. Of course if the bigger ones have a "killer feature" I may reconsider.

Same. I watch a lot of video and the X just offers too little screen real estate for that. The X Plus will be slightly smaller than the 7 Plus, I'd love that.

I will however wait a month or three before buying to get them second hand at a lower price. Unless the have limited stock for those first few months (which is likely) the prices should come down.

I really like the dual cameras on the 7 Plus, so I don't think the '9' will be a great option for me. Maybe the price difference makes it better? Colors are certainly fun as well.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I would have to see what compromises the 6.1" model has. The 6.5" is too big for me, the 5.8" is just right but I don't care that much if the screen is OLED or not.

Reactions: bhodinut

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I like the price point of the 6.1”. I’ve been looking forward to Apple introducing a nice, rich blue phone in a quality material. However, I’m concerned with the screen of the 6.1” being less resolution than my current 8 Plus. I’m also not a fan of dropping to a single lens camera which I left with the 6 Plus. Of course, there will be other specs and features that will be lacking in the 6.1” vs the 6.5” Plus.

If I still had my old 6 Plus, the 6.1” would have been a more serious contender, but as it is for me right now, I’m not a fan of the compromises I would be making. Forward progress, not backwards.

So if the rumors hold true, I’m going for the 6.5” Plus.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I’m not fussed about OLED, (in fact I prefer Apple’s LCD screens), or wireless charging, but I do want a good camera and dual SIM. I loved the 5.5” screens on the Plus phones, but the bezels make the footprint too big for easy use. Where that leaves me I don’t know, just have to wait until the announcement in September, but my priority will be the rumoured dual SIM option.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would have to see what compromises the 6.1" model has. The 6.5" is too big for me, the 5.8" is just right but I don't care that much if the screen is OLED or not.

I think most consumers don’t even know the differences between LCD and OLED. They might be able to physically show you the differences side-by-side comparisons, but in general, the consumer cares about the form factor, camera and whatever Apple chooses to market specific in that relation, not the OLED panel in most cases.

Reactions: Azzin and MarkX

Ravenbrook

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2015
I saw the supposed specs in terms of size for these phones. The X Plus is almost identical to an iPhone 8 Plus, but with a much larger screen and much smaller bezels. If this is true, it is the same size as my Pixel 2 XL and probably what I’ll switch to when available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.