Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone will you be getting?

• iPhone 9 6.1" LCD

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • iPhone X 5.8" OLED

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • iPhone X Plus 6.5" OLED

Votes: 118 51.3%
  • Will not be purchasing new model.

Votes: 50 21.7%

• Total voters

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
X+ gold, i've wanted an iphone X in a 8+ body since the X was originally announced. Now im getting the iphone i've always wanted. I won't upgrade again until there is a marked development, so probably 2 years.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I really can't decide. My 8 is my favorite phone of all time, but I'm tempted by the 6.1" IF it has wireless charging and 3D Touch. I'm also tempted by the XS to have a flagship phone again IF Face ID is improved, but I'm also intrigued by the XS+ IF Face ID Is improved and it's not comically expensive.

In other words, my mind is wide open. I would be just fine keeping my 8 long term though.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Touch choice. I went from Plus phones (6+ to 6s+ to 7+) to X because I was tired of having a huge phone to lug around and it was inconvenient, but I liked the screen size and the camera so I stuck through. Now that I've used X for quite some time, I'm starting to miss the bigger screen (bigger width was better for gaming). Maybe I'll upgrade my husband's iP7+ to the X plus this year and I get to have both :D (Performance-wise or feature-wise, I don't really see the point of upgrading my current X, so going to Xs (or whatever it will be called) is unnecessary in my opinion -- unless there's a new enticing color... I'm a sucker for looks)

LunarFalcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I've never had any of the plus models thus far, but depending on the final price, I'm planning on going for it this time.

Reactions: apolloa

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I really can't decide. My 8 is my favorite phone of all time, but I'm tempted by the 6.1" IF it has wireless charging and 3D Touch. I'm also tempted by the XS to have a flagship phone again IF Face ID is improved, but I'm also intrigued by the XS+ IF Face ID Is improved and it's not comically expensive.

3D Touch for the 6.1 LCD iPhone is *supposed*to be a software emulated feature, and wireless charging is still an unknown, but I don’t believe it will, mainly because it will have a much cheaper price point, which may be deleting that specific feature that the other top OLED models will have to reflect the cheaper price point.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
3D Touch for the 6.1 LCD iPhone is *supposed*to be a software emulated feature, and wireless charging is still an unknown, but I don’t believe it will, mainly because it will have a much cheaper price point, which may be deleting that specific feature that the other top OLED models will have to reflect the cheaper price point.

If the 6.1 doesn't have a glass back as is rumored, its unlikely to have wireless charging imo

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012

All Apple phones going forward will have wireless charging

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
If the 6.1 doesn't have a glass back as is rumored, its unlikely to have wireless charging imo

It would be kinda weird if it didn’t have the features of the phones of last year, but 3D Touch will apparently be absent or software emulated so who knows. I’ve had two non glass back phones with wireless charging, but I bet Apple don’t want to use a plastic back.

I have never used wireless charging by the way, and my current phone does not support it, so I don’t care, but I would be kinda surprised if it’s not there. On the other hand I would like to not have a glass back that can break so maybe I should hope it doesn’t have wireless charging after all? :p

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It would be kinda weird if it didn’t have the features of the phones of last year, but 3D Touch will apparently be absent or software emulated so who knows. I’ve had two non glass back phones with wireless charging, but I bet Apple don’t want to use a plastic back.

I have never used wireless charging by the way, and my current phone does not support it, so I don’t care, but I would be kinda surprised if it’s not there. On the other hand I would like to not have a glass back that can break so maybe I should hope it doesn’t have wireless charging after all? :p

The glass looks nice and sometimes I wireless charge but agreed

Plus it adds heft to the device 8+ is considerably heavier than 7+

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I love the screen size of the X (my hand actually started cramping after a year of the 7 plus) so I think I’ll stay with the 5.8 size. I haven’t seen anything to suggest I’ll be enticed to by the XS or whatever it’s called but we’ll see. I really would love usb-c to be standard but doubt that’s a thing.

Reactions: charlyee

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
If no Face ID 2 and no weight reduction on new iPhones i ll stay with current X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All Apple phones going forward will have wireless charging

I know I’m being a bit technical with this statement, but you _can’t_ definitively say that without actually knowing for sure. However, The 6.1 LCD iPhone is still unsure if it will have wireless charging or not because of the price point. As another member alluded to, if it does not have a glass back, then it won’t be supporting Wirelsss charging. (Unless Apple chooses to use another material that would support wireless charging other than glass.)

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
I think it'll heavily depend on how much better the X plus is in the camera & battery departments. I use my IPX to film a lot so if its remarkably better I'll go with the plus. If not I'll just upgrade to the new regular X model.

fumi2014

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
California
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know in the UK how Apple Pay would be used to pre-order the new phone via the Apple Store App? Once the per-order has been placed, do you still get the option for either a home delivery or a store pick-up or does Apple Pay mean you have to stick with a home delivery?

Regards

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
I was tempted to upgrade to the X Plus this year as the screen would be great for media but after holding an 8 Plus in store I'm not so sure. I currently use a 6S which I can hold comfortably in one hand but the plus just seems like it would be awkward to carry round daily for how often I watch content on my phone, not to mention being a fair bit heavier.

Reactions: NorthSeaBeach

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Honestly, I'm leaning toward the 5.85". What i care about most is OIS on both cameras. It would be surprising to me if Apple removed that from the smaller OLED phone. I never understood their decision to have it only on the wide-angle lens on the 8+ considering the telephoto lens benefits from it more. Here's a wild guess, maybe the front-facing camera gets OIS on the 6.5" phone.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
While I voted that I'm not going to upgrade in actuality, it will depend on the deals offered by Verizon or Apple. If something similar to what the carriers did when the 7's came out, I'll most likely upgrade to one of the X's. If not, I probably won't upgrade at all simply because the new phones bring nothing to the table that I need that I don't already have on my iPhone 7+.

I take few photos and never watch videos on the phone. It is primarily for calling, texting and playing music. And on occasion using Swing by Swing golf gps app.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My wife and I both have iPhone 7 Plus.

I am formerly iPhone 6 user, my wife 6 Plus. So I would like smaller iPhone X for myself but my wife will probably prefer larger iPhone 9.

vin1717

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
iPhone Plus 6.5" what will get over 5.8" one?
1) bigger display in every way
2) a slightly better camera
3) bigger battery
4) ipad UI
5)

If the X+ has the iPad UI, then I will definitely pull the trigger. If not, I am seriously contemplating sticking with my 8+ and using the funds for the redesigned Apple Watch that should be announced at the event.

Reactions: jbizzybeetle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.