Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone will you be getting?

• iPhone 9 6.1" LCD

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • iPhone X 5.8" OLED

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • iPhone X Plus 6.5" OLED

Votes: 118 51.3%
  • Will not be purchasing new model.

Votes: 50 21.7%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If the X+ has the iPad UI, then I will definitely pull the trigger. If not, I am seriously contemplating sticking with my 8+ and using the funds for the redesigned Apple Watch that should be announced at the event.

What part in particular?

Messages / settings / home screen orientation flip? That’s it right?

vin1717

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
What part in particular?

Messages / settings / home screen orientation flip? That’s it
What part in particular?

Messages / settings / home screen orientation flip? That’s it right?

My line of thinking has more to do with the dock and split screen. The one thing that also is probably going to need to be addressed is the difficulty to swipe down for notifications and control center.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
more big more better >> will go 6.5 oled

remembering iphone 6 plus release few yrs ago , apple store were crowd waiting inline walk in purchase >> and this yrs i believe will be same /

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Undecided...for the longest time i felt the 7Plus was perfect size then i got the X and feel that’s the perfect size...almost seems like the X Plus would be too big.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Cheapest one for me! I am still rocking 6s but it is has been showing its age.

I used to really care about latest and greatest but now don't really care, I think I'm getting old :( or Apple is not innovating much.

That depends what your interpretation of ‘innovation’ is, because clearly Face ID is a major step forward, and you’re using an iPhone 6s back from 2015 when they have now moved forward advancements in camera technology, new OLED display, form factor, ect . Smart phones can only ‘Innovate’ so much, but I think Apple Still leads in many ways with the technology they use in their iPhones.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That depends what your interpretation of ‘innovation’ is, because clearly Face ID is a major step forward, and you’re using an iPhone 6s back from 2015 when they have now moved forward advancements in camera technology, new OLED display, form factor, ect . Smart phones can only ‘Innovate’ so much, but I think Apple Still leads in many ways with the technology they use in their iPhones.
I watched the promo video of the Galaxy Note 9 earlier and even though I’d never go back to Android, I couldn’t help but be impressed by their exploration of innovative features. The S-Pen remote particularly. Apple do innovate but in a much more discreet fashion. FaceID was a big step I agree but on the ‘face’ of it (lol sorry) it’s not thrilling as a unique selling point. I think average consumers are more sucked in by sexy aesthetics and off the wall features they haven’t seen before.

The problem is as you say smartphones are at their peak and it’s only really companies like Samsung with their huge R&D resources that can explore further. Apple outsource to companies like this and perhaps don’t get what their suppliers want to keep exclusive? I think this year the 6.1” LCD will be a big hit due to its new look and cheaper price. Phones like the iPhone 8 will also do well I think.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I watched the promo video of the Galaxy Note 9 earlier and even though I’d never go back to Android, I couldn’t help but be impressed by their exploration of innovative features. The S-Pen remote particularly.

The Galaxy series is very nice. The S-Pen is a very intuitive feature that I would actually use from the Note that’s built in, but in the end, you choose the platform of what you’re using in terms of iOS or android. Android is not an option for me in terms of software updates and ecosystem.

Apple do innovate but in a much more discreet fashion. FaceID was a big step I agree but on the ‘face’ of it (lol sorry) it’s not thrilling as a unique selling point. I think average consumers are more sucked in by sexy aesthetics and off the wall features they haven’t seen before..

I don’t think they Face ID needs to be thrilling, I think it needs to work efficiently for the consumer to want to put their trust in a biometric security feature that Apple is calling the future. Animoji‘s are something interesting, but not for everybody. But the real tech is what Face ID is capable of the 3-D facial mapping. And as far as aesthetics are concerned, that wears off. That’s just a temporary attraction, but the iOS is what really is so captivating about the iPhone for many in terms of how fluid, simplistic and structural it is.

IThe problem is as you say smartphones are at their peak and it’s only really companies like Samsung with their huge R&D resources that can explore further.

Apple spends millions of dollars every year with R&D with the iPhone, I don’t know necessarily that android is exploring further over Apple, if they are, it certainly isn’t features like Face ID. But that’s not to say that android isn’t offering interesting technology, it just might be differing technology from what Apple is offering.

I think this year the 6.1” LCD will be a big hit due to its new look and cheaper price. Phones like the iPhone 8 will also do well I think.

The 6.1 LCD iPhone will do well, because of the price point and the consumer will see the new form factor, which will also include face ID. It makes sense Apple is venturing out to the 6 inch form factor, because many competitors already have.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Galaxy series is very nice. The S-Pen is a very intuitive feature that I would actually use from the Note that’s built in, but in the end, you choose the platform of what you’re using in terms of iOS or android. Android is not an option for me in terms of software updates and ecosystem.

I don’t think they Face ID needs to be thrilling, I think it needs to work efficiently for the consumer to want to put their trust in a biometric security feature that Apple is calling the future. Animoji‘s are something interesting, but not for everybody. But the real tech is what Face ID is capable of the 3-D facial mapping. And as far as aesthetics are concerned, that wears off. That’s just a temporary attraction, but the iOS is what really is so captivating about the iPhone for many in terms of how fluid, simplistic and structural it is.

Apple spends millions of dollars every year with R&D with the iPhone, I don’t know necessarily that android is exploring further over Apple, if they are, it certainly isn’t features like Face ID. But that’s not to say that android isn’t offering interesting technology, it just might be differing technology from what Apple is offering.

The 6.1 LCD iPhone will do well, because of the price point and the consumer will see the new form factor, which will also include face ID. It makes sense Apple is venturing out to the 6 inch form factor, because many competitors already have.

Same here, iOS is my chosen platform too. When looking at Samsung I do wish Apple were a little more creative. They certainly implement features the best.

I never intended to suggest I thought FaceID should be thrilling. I was highlighting that it was the main feature used to promote the iPhone X when it really wasn’t all that exciting on its own. I think the new aesthetics of that iPhone sold it well.

Reactions: apolloa

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
I'm almost sure to switch from my iPhone 8 plus (with which I feel great) to the X plus.
The ability to have an edge to edge screen, the same / a better battery life, an improved camera and 1 GB of extra RAM, is too much intriguing and tempting.

What “worries” me is the new OLED screen, probably developed and distributed by LG: some problems are known to the screens on LG phones (blue tint).

But I think nobody can give us reassurance about it until the launch, next month.

For those who will buy the X plus, what do you think of the "future display"?

Last edited:

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Difficult choice of Note 9 vs X Plus. Samsung has finally upped their game with bigger battery. I want the X Plus to have something close to the 7 Plus which ran all day no problems. I like both operating systems. Right now I have a Sammy 8 plus and I typically upgrade yearly, alternating between platforms as each have their advantages. Might come down to price for me.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I'm almost sure to switch from my iPhone 8 plus (with which I feel great) to the X plus.
The ability to have an edge to edge screen, the same / a better battery life, an improved camera and 1 GB of extra RAM, is too much intriguing and tempting.

What “worries” me is the new OLED screen, probably developed and distributed by LG: some problems are known to the screens on LG phones (blue tint).

But I think nobody can give us reassurance about it until the launch, next month.

I’ve had the X since launch day and I’ve gotten used to the notch, screen size, Face ID and OLED screen. I love the X’s form factor so if I were to upgrade this year I would definitely go for the X+.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Currently running a 6S. I originally looked at the X+ for the big screen but after holding an 8 Plus in store I'm not so sure. Will probably get the new 5.8 X which is still comfortable to hold.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I greatly doubt Apple of all companies will settle for unsatisfactory low quality parts, which include the displays they source.

I'm sure the display on the X Plus will be ace. Apple has always been a major player in pushing screen tech and putting excellent displays on their products.

Reactions: MacWins

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

But are you really going to let an LG panel stop you from purchasing an iPhone X Plus if They do indeed conduct manufacturing? It might have some disparity between Samsungs 5.8 OLED panel, but it also rumored that Samsung and LG will both be supplying the OLED panels, and I believe LG signed a contract with Apple to supply future OLED panels for the iPhone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/lg-apple-deal-supply-oled-lcd-panels-2018-iphones/amp/

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
iPhone 7 Plus (128GB) to iPhone X Plus for me.

Just hope they don't offer the pointless (IMO) 64GB on the flagship phone. 128GB minimum would be great!

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
But are you really going to let an LG panel stop you from purchasing an iPhone X Plus if They do indeed conduct manufacturing?It might have some disparity between Samsungs 5.8 OLED panel...]
No, I’m not....Not at all.
As a matter of fact, and as I said earlier, “I’m almost sure to switch from my 8 plus to the X plus.....is too much intriguing and tempting“!
I have only expressed a concern about the quality of future displays.
I hope that Apple has been really scrupulous on its controls as well as on the contractual agreements in reference to the "guaranteed" quality on the panels manufacture.
I greatly doubt Apple of all companies will settle for unsatisfactory low quality parts, which include the displays they source.

I'm sure the display on the X Plus will be ace. Apple has always been a major player in pushing screen tech and putting excellent displays on their products.
That was my thought as well.

We just have to wait 1 month to find out more specifications on camera (front and back), face id 2.0, etc.: the edge to edge display (a massive one), the extra Gb of ram, and the increased battery are enough to let me say “I want it”.
I mean, even just looking at the prototypes on youtube, and its comparison with the X 2018 and the 8 plus, I would buy it with my eyes closed.
It looks amazing.
That’s it
but it also rumored that Samsung and LG will both be supplying the OLED panels, and I believe LG signed a contract with Apple to supply future OLED panels for the iPhone.

Ps: about the agreement between LG and Apple, it is precisely because of this news that I‘be been wondering about the quality of the OLED panes.

Last edited:

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
There’s no way I’ll accept an LG made AMOLED panel on an X Plus if I can help it. I know I’m being picky. The only thing I’m a little disappointed in is the purported resolution of 2688 X 1242. Won’t even be able to watch YouTube at 1440P?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
There’s no way I’ll accept an LG made AMOLED panel on an X Plus if I can help it. I know I’m being picky.

I’m actually right with you on that one. But then again, I cannot afford to upgrade this year. I will be sticking with the 10 this year. That, and the Plus model would just be too big for my hands.

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.