Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone will you be getting?

• iPhone 9 6.1" LCD

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • iPhone X 5.8" OLED

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • iPhone X Plus 6.5" OLED

Votes: 118 51.3%
  • Will not be purchasing new model.

Votes: 50 21.7%

• Total voters

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Too many folks are going for the plus. I’m going X plus all the way, hope I get a launch day delivery
You won’t have issues getting your hands on the 5.8 quickly. There’s no pent up demand for it because a virtually identical phone has been on sale for nine months already. It will be the slowest seller of the three new devices.

Probably going with the 5.8. I originally got the 8 plus over the X last year, because I wanted the overall bigger usable screen. However, the heft of the phone has really gotten to me. If the 6.5 is lighter than the 8+ I'd consider it but I'm assuming that's unlikely.
I’m exactly the same. It’s got more and more noticeable over time. I was standing in a lift this morning and caught sight of the sheer size of the pocket bulge it creates in my reflection.

I also question how usable the 6.5” version would actually be for me. Even using my Plus with two hands, if I want to touch the top and bottom bezels - which will be screen space in the new model - it involves some awkward acrobatics. This might be down to the fact I can’t type with one hand though. I’ve always used my keyboard with two thumbs, so tend to hold the phone so that i’m always ready to be able to type.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Partner doesn’t want to upgrade his SE to a larger screen even though the SE is a few years old and has issues... so, keeping fingers crossed for an equivalent size screen being released. o_O

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
My 7 plus lightning connector failed so I had to purchase iPhone X. I usually keep my phones for 2 years but if there is a huge upgrade sometimes I will change it after 1 year. A huge upgrade for me will be removal of the notch. This year it seems like Xs are gonna keep the ugliness so no point of upgrading.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
The X is the perfect one handed phone for me. I've never really wanted the Plus sized phones but always purchased them because they had the better cameras. But the X has the best camera and is perfect for one handed use.

The only way I'd consider an X Plus is if Apple someone required apps to support landscape. I loved landscape mode on the Plus for the native apps but it became a pain to have to switch too vertical when using some apps (talking about you Facebook). If the X Plus functioned more like an iPad Mini I'd seriously consider it.

Reactions: apolloa and YaBoiD

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
I’m exactly the same. It’s got more and more noticeable over time. I was standing in a lift this morning and caught sight of the sheer size of the pocket bulge it creates in my reflection.

I also question how usable the 6.5” version would actually be for me. Even using my Plus with two hands, if I want to touch the top and bottom bezels - which will be screen space in the new model - it involves some awkward acrobatics. This might be down to the fact I can’t type with one hand though. I’ve always used my keyboard with two thumbs, so tend to hold the phone so that i’m always ready to be able to type.

I've also questioned how a 6.5 would be comfort-wise. I can imagine it would be a strain to pull down the notification and control center bars at the top.

I actually had a 7+ before this and loved it. Probably my favorite iPhone to use thus far. The weight was never an issue. I know the 8+ isn't that much heavier, but it's hefty to the point where I'm noticing it. It's just enough to put it into "too heavy" territory for me. I've found myself feeling very weighted down by it when it's in my pocket.

The increase in thickness of the 8+ wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it's also just thick enough that even two-handed texting is uncomfortable, whereas it was somewhat easier on the 7+, though that could also be attributed to the weight. I'm looking forward to going to something lighter and slimmer.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
iPhone X 5.8"

I find phones larger than the 4.7" iPhone class to be awkward for me. Heck, I loved my iPhone SE, but wanted the updated technology. Last year I upgraded my iPhone SE to an iPhone 8 and was honestly a bit underwhelmed and I regretted it. I don't regret not getting the iPhone X last year, but I regret not just keeping my iPhone SE until this year.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I say this and watch I run out and
Buy a new one but hopefully none

I have an x, two Se's (one was a steal of a price and one around launch I could never abandon different colors gold and space grey), and a 7plus I never sold

I have iPhone exhaustion a bit

Don't really wanna return to plus, don't care much about an S version of X since it's fast enough and jailbroken. Don't feel like hunkering down $1000 or anything either in a month.

As for 6.1" I'm intrigued about price and launch date but don't really wanna return to LED either

I will probably buy an SE2 immediately if there ever is one

Even at $499 for my 64 se1 it's been one of the finest apple purchases I've ever made

Last edited:

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
6.1 all the way. I want the telephoto lens of the X but can't use OLED so whatever the 6.1 is I'll likely get it.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Will most likely be getting the 5.8”!

The 6.1” is an interesting option as well. I don’t mind the LCD tech and have no use for 3D Touch anyways, but my gut feel tells me Apple will still find a way to lessen its appeal. E.g. stupid colours, thicker bezels or other ways to make it feel cheap.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I'm pretty happy with the 5.8, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger one but I think the 6.5" is extreme.... would have liked something in between with the higher end features.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel 3 XL, can't stand the decade old feeling iOS. Stock Android for now, is the only smartphone OS I can use.

But, if there's a stable Jailbreak for iOS 12, for sure picking the iPhone XS Plus.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I got my 8+ on launch day last year (on the iUP).

I really wanted an X, but A) I didn’t want to wait and B) I was just a little wary of the new tech, so chose to wait.

I’m hoping that being on the iUP will make for a nice simple transition to an X+ this year.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I’m assuming due to PWM. Fortunately I don’t have that issue.

Yep, that's it. I'd hate to miss out on 3D Touch and the dual lens camera as well as possibly the beautiful stainless steel frame but I'd take missing out on a few things over constant eye strain and frequent horrible migraines so LCD it is. I wish all iPhones still used LCD. Apples LCD displays are great.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Pixel 3 XL, can't stand the decade old feeling iOS. Stock Android for now, is the only smartphone OS I can use.

But, if there's a stable Jailbreak for iOS 12, for sure picking the iPhone XS Plus.

You *still* don’t have a jailbroken device?

All iOS 10 versions can be. All but 11.4 and 11.4.1 and 12 betas of course can be jailbroken.

Guaranteed there are jailbreakable
Inventory somewhere wouldn’t be that hard to hunt down imo

Reactions: Tig Bitties

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I am coming from multiple Samsung Notes, so I will notice the LCD vs OLED. Which ever one that I decide to go with will have to have an OLED screen. I hate my wife's 8 Plus screen every time I look at it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am coming from multiple Samsung Notes, so I will notice the LCD vs OLED. Which ever one that I decide to go with will have to have an OLED screen. I hate my wife's 8 Plus screen every time I look at it.

The disparity between OLED and LCD is vast when having side by side comparisons. OLED blacks are the real notebale difference for me, especially on a larger scale for an OLED TV makes a significant difference for viewing.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The disparity between OLED and LCD is vast when having side by side comparisons. OLED blacks are the real notebale difference for me, especially on a larger scale for an OLED TV makes a significant difference for viewing.
You make a good point here and one that I’ve heard made a few times where users say to see the difference you only really notice it side by side. A few people I know have tried Samsung galaxies with their amazing OLED screens and when you ask them if they notice the difference when coming back to the iPhone, they can’t really pin point how it’s different. I must admit I played around with a friends iPhone X back in February before he upgraded to the 8+ and I couldn’t see an immediate difference, although I dare say if I’d compared side by side or really looked for it I would see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.