Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Just a general question put out to those that are verbal here on this sub-forum, but never actually share any of their images with us.

This is not intended as an insult or disapproval of your choice, but rather to seek an understanding of your choices not to share any of your images here. I could easily create a poll with pre-formatted answers, but that would be stupid, I'd like to hear it in your own words, please help me to understand.

Why do you not post any of your photography efforts with us all here? We don't bite! ;)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I rarely do cuz I don't visit regularly, and I try to keep track of what I post gallery-wise (as opposed to say a screen grab for tech support purposes). Most of the sites where I share also have Lr publishing services, which makes stuff so much easier to track. In short, kinda don't come here that much for the images, although I've seen some great ones. More time at Flickr, 500px, etc.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I rarely do cuz I don't visit regularly, and I try to keep track of what I post gallery-wise (as opposed to say a screen grab for tech support purposes). Most of the sites where I share also have Lr publishing services, which makes stuff so much easier to track. In short, kinda don't come here that much for the images, although I've seen some great ones. More time at Flickr, 500px, etc.
Thanks Rob, that makes perfect sense to me. :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
A lot of my work that I'm actually proud of showing is on film.

Scanning is a pain, and posting stuff here from my G5(where most of my scans are stored) is sometimes a bit of a frustrating experience.

There's also the fact that scanning itself is just scratching the surface. A single slide at 4000x4000 on my Coooscan V takes 5 minutes all said and done. That includes previewing, making the exposure, color, and contrast adjustments(I do still shoot slides because I like the "what you see is what you get" aspect of color management).

Even using ICE, though, I can easily spend a half hour dust spotting a scan. With B&W, all bets are off on spotting time since ICE doesn't work. It also doesn't work for Kodachrome, although I never shot much back in the day. The lab I use now and the local pro lab I use to use mount in plastic, but Dwayne's use to mount both E6 and K14 in paper(I'm not sure if they still do as they haven't done any for me in a while). Paper mounts make scanning even more of a pain since they shed dust EVERYWHERE.

Also, I think sometimes we are our own worst critic, and I find myself spending time making excuses for the photos I do post even if I do like them.

With that said, I would like to post more.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
So far, only those that are occasional posters here of their images have replied! What about those of you that write responses here in this sub-forum, but never share any of your images?

I throw a few shots in on the photo of the day threads, but I don't usually have too much exciting to share. I take a lot of pictures of my kids, but I wish to protect their privacy so I don't post those.
Thanks for your feedback, I totally understand the privacy thing.

A lot of my work that I'm actually proud of showing is on film.

Scanning is a pain, and posting stuff here from my G5(where most of my scans are stored) is sometimes a bit of a frustrating experience.

There's also the fact that scanning itself is just scratching the surface. A single slide at 4000x4000 on my Coooscan V takes 5 minutes all said and done. That includes previewing, making the exposure, color, and contrast adjustments(I do still shoot slides because I like the "what you see is what you get" aspect of color management).

Even using ICE, though, I can easily spend a half hour dust spotting a scan. With B&W, all bets are off on spotting time since ICE doesn't work. It also doesn't work for Kodachrome, although I never shot much back in the day. The lab I use now and the local pro lab I use to use mount in plastic, but Dwayne's use to mount both E6 and K14 in paper(I'm not sure if they still do as they haven't done any for me in a while). Paper mounts make scanning even more of a pain since they shed dust EVERYWHERE.

Also, I think sometimes we are our own worst critic, and I find myself spending time making excuses for the photos I do post even if I do like them.

With that said, I would like to post more.
I fully appreciate the mammoth efforts you go to, sharing some of your images with us here! Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I really have not done much shooting in the past three or four years, so that is a big reason for not contributing. That said, right now I'm in the midst of sorting through older files and trying to bring them into some semblance of order (some predate the advent of DAMs and such) and during the process I've run across old favorites, a couple of which I have shared here as more-or-less appropriate within a couple of different threads.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I really have not done much shooting in the past three or four years, so that is a big reason for not contributing. That said, right now I'm in the midst of sorting through older files and trying to bring them into some semblance of order (some predate the advent of DAMs and such) and during the process I've run across old favorites, a couple of which I have shared here as more-or-less appropriate within a couple of different threads.
Thanks for your response, @Clix Pix . I loved the high quality of your night time pool scene in this weeks contest, it's technically well accomplished!

Again, you're an occasion poster of images, thanks for explaining why. Fingers crossed some of those that are verbal here, but not visual contributors choose to respond, helping me understand why.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The site name of MacRumors plus the topics of the various forums lets us all know this site is about things related to Apple and their various product lines. With the slow lingering death of Aperture and the intro of iPhoto and then Photos, Apple has indicated that they are focused on photography via IOS devices. While some folks left Aperture for Lr, who left Lr for Photos?

The point is we should not be surprised that this forum is not dedicated to the art of photography. Perhaps that is why we rarely have Pros teaching here. Serious photography talk, and image sharing, happens elsewhere. That is just a reflection of the culture and product lines from Apple.

Reactions: mtbdudex

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
The site name of MacRumors plus the topics of the various forums lets us all know this site is about things related to Apple and their various product lines. With the slow lingering death of Aperture and the intro of iPhoto and then Photos, Apple has indicated that they are focused on photography via IOS devices. While some folks left Aperture for Lr, who left Lr for Photos?

The point is we should not be surprised that this forum is not dedicated to the art of photography. Perhaps that is why we rarely have Pros teaching here. Serious photography talk, and image sharing, happens elsewhere. That is just a reflection of the culture and product lines from Apple.

I'd argue that this particular sub-forum here is certainly dedicated to Photography and is one of the better ones I've come across. It's not important, really, what Apple thinks (or doesn't) about photography. They're probably more interested in having more people have access to image making via iPhone than catering to "pros" but that's (to me) largely irrelevant. There are plenty of really good professional tools out there so no need to worry on that front.

I've got thousands of $ over the years sunk into equipment, some of that $ is in my iPhone :D. I really like the "how I did it" threads just started. That people are willing to freely share their techniques is a testament to the quality of the forum.

It also beats the rubbish on the "main" page of MacRumors :).

Edit: Which reminds me that I need to get back to posting the odd image or two. Not only has "life happened" but now I have a new camera after 8 years, so have been spending time trying to get up to speed on it.

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don’t mind CC at all and usually welcome it, but I have occasionally received it unasked for from forum writers but not photo posters. I give little credence to these posts. If I can’t see your work, you don’t get to judge mine.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

I completely disagree. This sub-forum is exactly what it looks like. It is a place for us to post our images, get good feedback, have fun, and maybe earn some bragging rights. I know plenty of professionals I can turn to for formal lessons, and there are local clubs if I want hard core competition.
MacRumors is far more than an Apple dedicated site. The sub-forums are driven by users and their interests. I don't use social media for a variety of reasons. MacRumors is the one exception.

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I don't write a lot of comments but do "like" the photos that I like the best so I suppose I am one of those folks to whom this question is directed.

Simple answer is that I don't really have the gear or talent yet to post images worth sharing.

I got into MacRumors in the first place in order to inform myself about Mac computers so that I could help my son choose his first computer (2012 iMac) and then gravitated towards the Digital Video and Digital Photography subforums to learn about cameras, lenses, etc since video production was his area of study and he is using Canon DSLR to shoot with. I've also bought him some gear based on feedback / comments from this and the Digital Video subforums.

I can borrow my son's old camera (T2i), which is far superior to the one in my phone (work Blackberry that in spite of a couple of attempts I have been unable to download a handful of nice pictures from) or the old point and shoot somewhere in my wife's closet, but to be frank my photos suck.

I borrowed the T2i for a work trip to Huntsville AL in December (had to document details of some testing) and thought I'd give it a go at the US Space & Rocket Center which we had hardly any time at all to visit before catching our flight out. Just had the kit lens and ended up leaving the camera on full Auto. The results pale in comparison to what I regularly see in the weekly competitions or POTD thread.

Then there is the second problem of only having the work computer (Windows) as the only practical means of managing or editing photos that are taken, which is neither practical (available software sucks) or appropriate. I do plan on picking up a Macbook Air in the near future and then perhaps I'll feel it worthwhile to start taking my own photos.

With respect to this subforum, I keep up to date with it because the regulars seem like genuinely helpful and encouraging folk - I wouldn't even consider posting anywhere else ... so if nobody minds I'll continue to lurk in the background until if feel I have some photos worth sharing :)

BTW, the following is probably my favorite photo from that museum visit (Saturn V engine):

IMG_2420.JPG

That rocket is truly impressive but it was so large it was difficult to get a decent shot of it.

Cheers,

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I don't write a lot of comments but do "like" the photos that I like the best so I suppose I am one of those folks to whom this question is directed.

Simple answer is that I don't really have the gear or talent yet to post images worth sharing.

I got into MacRumors in the first place in order to inform myself about Mac computers so that I could help my son choose his first computer (2012 iMac) and then gravitated towards the Digital Video and Digital Photography subforums to learn about cameras, lenses, etc since video production was his area of study and he is using Canon DSLR to shoot with. I've also bought him some gear based on feedback / comments from this and the Digital Video subforums.

I can borrow my son's old camera (T2i), which is far superior to the one in my phone (work Blackberry that in spite of a couple of attempts I have been unable to download a handful of nice pictures from) or the old point and shoot somewhere in my wife's closet, but to be frank my photos suck.

I borrowed the T2i for a work trip to Huntsville AL in December (had to document details of some testing) and thought I'd give it a go at the US Space & Rocket Center which we had hardly any time at all to visit before catching our flight out. Just had the kit lens and ended up leaving the camera on full Auto. The results pale in comparison to what I regularly see in the weekly competitions or POTD thread.

Then there is the second problem of only having the work computer (Windows) as the only practical means of managing or editing photos that are taken, which is neither practical (available software sucks) or appropriate. I do plan on picking up a Macbook Air in the near future and then perhaps I'll feel it worthwhile to start taking my own photos.

With respect to this subforum, I keep up to date with it because the regulars seem like genuinely helpful and encouraging folk - I wouldn't even consider posting anywhere else ... so if nobody minds I'll continue to lurk in the background until if feel I have some photos worth sharing :)

BTW, the following is probably my favorite photo from that museum visit (Saturn V engine):

View attachment 760112

That rocket is truly impressive but it was so large it was difficult to get a decent shot of it.

Cheers,
And yet, in my opinion that photo of the Saturn engine is great.
The constructive and friendly comments I have received over the last few years have truly helped me to develop more skills. I'm not there yet by any means but far better than when I started taking photos more seriously.

Cheers :)

Hugh

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

View attachment 760112

Cheers,

A lot of us under-rate our own work. The Saturn picture is good. There are only 2 ways to learn: Get out and shoot, and get good feedback. Your phone might not have all of the bells and whistles of a camera but you create the image. The camera is only a tool. One of the great things about this forum is the sincerity and civility of the C&C.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
And yet, in my opinion that photo of the Saturn engine is great.
The constructive and friendly comments I have received over the last few years have truly helped me to develop more skills. I'm not there yet by any means but far better than when I started taking photos more seriously.

Cheers :)

Hugh

A lot of us under-rate our own work. The Saturn picture is good. There are only 2 ways to learn: Get out and shoot, and get good feedback. Your phone might not have all of the bells and whistles of a camera but you create the image. The camera is only a tool. One of the great things about this forum is the sincerity and civility of the C&C.

I’ll also add that sometimes you’ll be surprised by which of your photos that prove to be the most popular/well-received. That’s already what I’ve learned in the photo of the day thread, and no one has said a word! It makes you go back and study what resonates with the eyes of people that aren’t you. ;)

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
So far, only those that are occasional posters here of their images have replied! What about those of you that write responses here in this sub-forum, but never share any of your images?
I rarely post images just for the sake of displaying my work. When I do, it is on either my own "portfolio" site(s) or on purely photography orientated forums, though posting to the latter is rather rare.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I couldn't disagree with your comments more. I see stuff on here that is just as good as other photography forums.
We have plenty of pros on here.

Btw I class a pro based on work I can see. Any other criteria doesn't work for me.
[doublepost=1525113047][/doublepost]

View attachment 760112

Cheers,
I like. How big are those things?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
@MCAsan I genuinely feel sorry for you that you have missed the whole point of this sub-forum and what it has naturally evolved to become. :(

To me, it's a wonderfully unique space that is nurturing, assistive and does explore photography in a wide variety of ways. It's the lack of superiority complexes that makes it work so well as compared to many (what you would probably deem to be) proper photography forums. It's the lack of rules that XYZ constitutes a good photograph that makes it unique. Keep that for the photography clubs, guilds and other governing bodies. I embrace the freeform, the fluid, the adaptive and evolving nature of this sub-forum, and so too, from the responses above do many others. :cool:

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
@MCAsan I genuinely feel sorry for you that you have missed the whole point of this sub-forum and what it has naturally evolved to become. :(

To me, it's a wonderfully unique space that is nurturing, assistive and does explore photography in a wide variety of ways. It's the lack of superiority complexes that makes it work so well as compared to many (what you would probably deem to be) proper photography forums. It's the lack of rules that XYZ constitutes a good photograph that makes it unique. Keep that for the photography clubs, guilds and other governing bodies. I embrace the freeform, the fluid, the adaptive and evolving nature of this sub-forum, and so too, from the responses above do many others. :cool:

In fairness, @MCAsan is just a bot. Maybe you should ease up a bit.

Sure they gave him a background (he and his wife switched to mirrorless a few years ago etc), but the MCAsan bot is just here to compile articles on new software that isn't from Adobe and start threads about the mirrorless near future every couple of weeks.

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
For me it's a self confidence thing, or severe lack of it. I've been a member for many years and only ever posted a handful of pics.
It's my go to place on a lunch time to look at the previous days posting and admire everyone's work. I don't comment for the same reason I don't post even though a lot of images in this forum blow me away.

I keep saying to myself each year that this is the year I get out of the house and start using the equipment I've spent so much money on but it never seems to happen. Maybe this year lol

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
For me it's a self confidence thing, or severe lack of it. I've been a member for many years and only ever posted a handful of pics.
It's my go to place on a lunch time to look at the previous days posting and admire everyone's work. I don't comment for the same reason I don't post even though a lot of images in this forum blow me away.

I keep saying to myself each year that this is the year I get out of the house and start using the equipment I've spent so much money on but it never seems to happen. Maybe this year lol

You should never feel like you can’t post photos on these forums. We're all at different levels and many of us started off posting crap. It’s only through constructive criticism that you grow and we’re a nice bunch really. So what if the stuff you post isn’t as good as other people's work - the main thing is enjoying the process and sharing in the community spirit.

If it’s motivation you lack then set yourself a little project to get the juices flowing. Have a theme for the day and try to shoot something that fits it.

Edit: Looking at your post history you shouldn’t be self confident as your photos are just fine. Now get your arse in gear and get shooting and sharing :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

We're a friendly bunch. Nobody gets roasted.
Any feedback I see on here tends to be quite encouraging and constructive.
That's one of the things I like about this place!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
In photography, just as with so many other activities, the best way to learn is to do it -- and to keep doing it. The old saying "practice makes perfect" may not be quite accurate, but the concept is a sound one, as the more one does something, the more one learns about the process. Also one definitely can learn by looking at others' work and then thinking about it. What about someone's photo captured your initial attention and then retained it? Why? What do you like or dislike about some element in the photo? Can you figure out why or how the photographer achieved the results s/he did? In your own work, then, the next time you're out with the camera, do you recall some of what you've seen in others' work and then experiment to see what kind of results you could get by attempting something similar? Not copying, per se, but rather seeing what happens when you do x,y or z as the other photographer had apparently done. It's all a learning process, and can be both fun and challenging.

Yes, the most important thing is charging up the batteries and putting a lens on the camera and actually getting out the door to do some shooting!

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Thanks for the comments. It's not the fear of a roasting or anything, I know you guys are all very constructive with any comments. It's purely my internal voice.

MacRy is right about getting off my ever increasing ass and getting out there. The desire is there just waiting for the motivation to catch up lol

I was fortunate to spend the day with one of the regulars on here a couple years back and got some great advice and shooting tips. I will endeavor to repay the day with some photos this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.