Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for the comments. It's not the fear of a roasting or anything, I know you guys are all very constructive with any comments. It's purely my internal voice.

MacRy is right about getting off my ever increasing ass and getting out there. The desire is there just waiting for the motivation to catch up lol

I was fortunate to spend the day with one of the regulars on here a couple years back and got some great advice and shooting tips. I will endeavor to repay the day with some photos this year.
We will hold you to that!

I too don't get out and shoot very often. But my circumstances are difficult.
I'm off at the end of the month, so plan to get out then.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I still shoot with film, - and my circumstances mean that I often do not bring the camera with me, I used to shoot a lot more years ago, when I took the camera everywhere - and, besides, I have yet to master 1) digital photography, and 2) the whole business of saving, processing and uploading images using a digital format.

But, I hugely enjoy visiting this section of the forum; as a number of people have pointed out, it is relaxed, and whatever criticism is offered tends to be of the supportive and constructive sort.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I still shoot with film, - and my circumstances mean that I often do not bring the camera with me, I used to shoot a lot more years ago, when I took the camera everywhere - and, besides, I have yet to master 1) digital photography, and 2) the whole business of saving, processing and uploading images using a digital format.

But, I hugely enjoy visiting this section of the forum; as a number of people have pointed out, it is relaxed, and whatever criticism is offered tends to be of the supportive and constructive sort.
Of course that iPhone SE has a camera!

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Obviously not on Instagram!
;)

I post on instagram a lot. Mostly now I upload photos from my big cameras, but I do still use it occassionally for random family photos. But I've largely given up using the filters and just "edit" right in the app the best I can and leave the colors normal.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I post on instagram a lot. Mostly now I upload photos from my big cameras, but I do still use it occassionally for random family photos. But I've largely given up using the filters and just "edit" right in the app the best I can and leave the colors normal.
Never been in it tbh. Not my thing.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I had a scan of a 6x6 transparency pulled up on my computer screen at work one day, and was doing some quick tweaks on it(dust spotting, etc) before sending it to a colleague.

A student walked by my office, saw it, and asked me what filter I was going to apply before putting it on Instagram...since apparently that's the only place you see "square" images.

Also, I do regularly photograph students in the teaching labs(with their consent, of course). I usually use 35mm, but if the mood strikes the Hasselblad comes out. Even though I mostly print 8x10s, I keep a box of 5x7 paper handy and if I have a good photo of a particular student I'll often print it for them. I can begin to say how many folks are fascinated by what amounts to a snapshot, more or less, printed optically on "real" paper. It does have a certain look that you really can't get from an inkjet print-and particularly in B&W where inkjets are bad about "bronzing" the completely black areas.

BTW,

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
For me it's a self confidence thing, or severe lack of it. I've been a member for many years and only ever posted a handful of pics.
It's my go to place on a lunch time to look at the previous days posting and admire everyone's work. I don't comment for the same reason I don't post even though a lot of images in this forum blow me away.

I keep saying to myself each year that this is the year I get out of the house and start using the equipment I've spent so much money on but it never seems to happen. Maybe this year lol

I think this should be your reason to post more. I'm on a few different photography forums and this is honestly my favorite one. The folks on this forum provide really really good constructive feedback that have helped me improve over the years. Not by much but an improvement nonetheless. It's a very encouraging sub-forum.

I've picked up a few tricks from discussions here and the new "How do you do that" threads are informative and inspiring. The weekly contests really push you out of your comfort zone, which is a good thing. From the judging comments, you can see what catches peoples eye, get some tips on how your photo could have improved, etc. It's very fun but scary to post your first time. But try it. It won't hurt :)

Reactions: Kamerynn and kenoh

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
It just doesn't seem very welcoming to experienced photographers.
I don't care about gear or critique - which seems to be the main emphasis of this sub-forum.
It just seems a little cliquey as a sub-forum about photography.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I don't care about gear or critique - which seems to be the main emphasis of this sub-forum.

What else do you want there to be to talk about?

Like it or not, gear is a big part of pretty much any photography forum-and I think that you can only expect that to be especially prevalent on a tech forum.

As for critiques-there is a lot of image sharing, but critiques tend to only be offered when asked. There have been excellent recent threads of "Here's a picture and here's how I took it." Those are as valuable as anything, IMO.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

It’s cliquey only because people post regularly. If you post with us you’ll be part of it.

There are plenty of very experienced photographers who post.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
That's an interesting observation, I find most "proper" photography forums and groups to be extremely cliquey, but not here. On the "proper" fora, the hierarchy is firmly established and patronised frequently, with certain higher ranking members showing off their latest batches of images, the lower members oohing and aahing, and the lower ones again clicking likes and being silent. There's not a genuine banter of possible improvement or observation going on, with everyones opinions being valued. Now, that's not to say it occurs here either as a regular thing, but it does happen from time to time as unsolicited constructive criticism and is not belittled, dismissed or boo-hooed.

I see the sharing of images here to be the foremost thing, not the technical talk. Some photography fora have dedicated sub-forums devoted to that, where there are very active and lengthy discussions by people who love to fixate on the technical rather than the creative or doing. There is obviously a need for that, as they are very heavily frequented! I don't join in at that level, it's not what it's about for me.

I would love to ask one thing of you though, if I may? What is an "experienced photographer" as you refer to it? I just look at everyone that enjoys photography as a photographer, I don't really differentiate between ability, levels or class structure in this regards, so have difficulty understanding where you are coming from with that reference.

Thanks for your input.

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
What else do you want there to be to talk about?

Like it or not, gear is a big part of pretty much any photography forum-and I think that you can only expect that to be especially prevalent on a tech forum.

As for critiques-there is a lot of image sharing, but critiques tend to only be offered when asked. There have been excellent recent threads of "Here's a picture and here's how I took it." Those are as valuable as anything, IMO.

Just photos.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just photos.

The Photo of the Day threads are pretty much that.

If you mean "discussing photos"-well critiques are just that.

There again, we have recent threads on how particular photos were taken.

If you want to discuss "photos"-what-in addition to the above-do you want to discuss?

There again, this is pretty much a catch-all photography sub-forum on a tech website.

As an example, on Photo.net, there is an entire sub-forum called "no words." Someone posts a word or a sentence for a topic. The rules are that each poster can only post a single photo some way related to the topic. The only "words" permitted are a brief sentence about the technical details.

In a similar vein, we have theme threads here that do involve discussion.

Last edited:

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
It’s cliquey only because people post regularly. If you post with us you’ll be part of it.

There are plenty of very experienced photographers who post.

That's an interesting observation, I find most "proper" photography forums and groups to be extremely cliquey, but not here. On the "proper" fora, the hierarchy is firmly established and patronised frequently, with certain higher ranking members showing off their latest batches of images, the lower members oohing and aahing, and the lower ones again clicking likes and being silent. There's not a genuine banter of possible improvement or observation going on, with everyones opinions being valued. Now, that's not to say it occurs here either as a regular thing, but it does happen from time to time as unsolicited constructive criticism and is not belittled, dismissed or boo-hooed.

I see the sharing of images here to be the foremost thing, not the technical talk. Some photography fora have dedicated sub-forums devoted to that, where there are very active and lengthy discussions by people who love to fixate on the technical rather than the creative or doing. There is obviously a need for that, as they are very heavily frequented! I don't join in at that level, it's not what it's about for me.

I would love to ask one thing of you though, if I may? What is an "experienced photographer" as you refer to it? I just look at everyone that enjoys photography as a photographer, I don't really differentiate between ability, levels or class structure in this regards, so have difficulty understanding where you are coming from with that reference.

Thanks for your input.

Someone that's been shooting actively since 1983 both professionally and non-commercially. It gives you a different perspective when you've seen photo trends come and go and then come back again and then... There is a lot of truth in the concept that "all the photos have already been taken".

There is a certain amount of dogma in photography on the internet today that is tedious. Someone made negative comments about "instagram filters". Shrug, nothing wrong with filters if they support the aesthetic goals of the photographer. Are they helping someone express themselves or getting in their way? Advice folks get on the internet regarding their photography usually starts with "I would've done..." - as if that's the best approach for someone else.

I agree that it's all about the pics. I don't think everyone needs to be on the same path towards self-expression through photography. Photo fora seem to trend towards whatever current aesthetic trends are and don't seem to ask "what are you trying to say with your photo?"
[doublepost=1525486617][/doublepost]
The Photo of the Day threads are pretty much that.

If you mean "discussing photos"-well critiques are just that.

There again, we have recent threads on how particular photos were taken.

If you want to discuss "photos"-what-in addition to the above-do you want to discuss?

There again, this is pretty much a catch-all photography sub-forum on a tech website.

As an example, on Photo.net, there is an entire sub-forum called "no words." Someone posts a word or a sentence for a topic. The rules are that each poster can only post a single photo some way related to the topic. The only "words" permitted are a brief sentence about the technical details.

In a similar vein, we have theme threads here that do involve discussion.

I don't think discussing photos = critiques. Asking why you took a photo would be a start. How you took a photo is not why or what you're trying to say. That's more constructive after folks get technique under control.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
@redshifted Thanks for your response! It's much appreciated. I particularly enjoyed the following bit for its deeper thought. :cool:
I agree that it's all about the pics. I don't think everyone needs to be on the same path towards self-expression through photography. Photo fora seem to trend towards whatever current aesthetic trends are and don't seem to ask "what are you trying to say with your photo?"

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Hmm. This has disappointed me a bit because I thought we were doing a good job of being welcoming regardless. We arent cliquey, just there are a few of us who over years have learned each others humour and we have a laugh. For example I have an unhealthy obsession with Leica and Apple Fanboy wont have a bad word spoken about Nikon so we wind each other up. Its a British thing not a cliquey thing and typically a mark of respect when you reach that stage.

The idea being it keeps it light hearted not like any of the other lists of monotonous photography forums where shutter-virgins are sacrificed on the altar of superficial opinions from the elders. I was once told by an "expert" to shoot my lens at f23! Utter nonsense especially since my lens used didnt go past f16. Experienced means nothing to me. I am experienced and still crap. I have no interest in cliques, what I have an interest in is learning to take better images and having a laugh along the way. If I ever behave in a way outside this I want to be told. In fact we even meet physically. Some of us at shows, others have travelled from the US to the UK and we take each other places so honestly not feeling welcome is something that we can fix because you are regardless of your blood line or credentials.

If you dont care about gear or critiques then thats cool. Personally I like retro stuff so rangefinders, fountain pens, mechanical watches i iove hearing about the creative process that people use - hence creating the how I did that thread. I love to see people like bunnspecial using exotic cameras and his finds in junk stores. I love seeing people post with old cameras as it helps me have confidence I can improve my skills.

I love to understand the process. One thing I struggle with personally and you see it in my pictures despite being experienced, is I struggle to realise my vision between the camera and publishing. So I enjoy reading about workflows as it helps me understand where I can focus to improve.

Critique i dont understand what you mean. If you want to post and not get critique, we will fast learn to appreciate your contribution but not comment. Though I do reserve the right on an open forum to tell you I like your work.

Lots of people come here initially looking for that step into photography having just bought an Apple Mac of some description so we get lots of the typical what should I buy first questions. The thing is, the forum is fluid, whoever posts a question, they will usually get an answer. If you want just post photos, then picture of the day or start a new thread are your answer.

I dont know, I waffled too much as usual but basically I hoped this little corner if the internet was ticking those boxes a bit better. There is work to do.

Please post some of your work. We would love to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.