Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks to the folks that responded in a welcoming way to my answer to the original question.
On reading all the responses it seems that folks here seem happy with the way things are.
Happy shooting and good light one and all!

Reactions: kallisti

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Gear is one of the least important elements in photography (with obvious exceptions for certain types of photography). Yet it is where many who are starting out place all the emphasis. Or all the blame. There is so much emphasis on gear on the internet that it isn't crazy for people to feel this way. Gear is easy to talk about. Gear is easy to evaluate and rate. It's also natural to look for external factors for both image success and failure (i.e. my money was well spent or I need to spend more money).

I think that this is just something that's inherent in the hobby of photography, and probably not something that's ever going to change.

Probably more so than any other artistic hobby, there's an endless stream of STUFF that you can always buy. Yes, there are bodies, lenses, and filters. Then you get into tripods and bags. If you're inside/studio inclined, you can go wild with lighting. If you like traditional processes, you can go nuts with darkroom stuff(yes, I'm still looking for both an Omega 45 and a Jobo).

Even though you don't NEED a lot of the stuff, the tech-obsessed person can have a field day with it, and someone with a collector streak can go wild in various other rabbit holes. Speaking for myself, I have 5 different SLR systems that I actually use-and that's down from 8 not too long ago. I'm also not including 35mm rangefinders and large format in that count, as well as systems that I don't consider to be in active use.

Also, I think that "better gear" is an easier trap to fall into than with a lot of artistic endeavors. I can pick out a tune on a piano, but I know that a Steinway isn't going to make me a concert pianist. I'm hopeless with any kind of stringed instrument, and I can't draw to save my life(although the latter doesn't stop me from at least indulging myself in good pencils and pens, but everything I have is geared toward writing and not drawing with the exception of the technical pens I keep for when I have to grit my teeth and make a technical drawing). By contrast, most anyone can mash the shutter release on a camera and get an image. Fundamentally, unless it's just by blind luck, you aren't going to get BETTER images unless you both have the ability to see a good image before you press the shutter release and an understanding of the technical side of things that elevates it from a snapshot to a good photo to a great photo.

I always want to improve the photographs I take-after all that's the goal-but there's nothing really that's going to stop me from buying equipment. A lot of my purchases these days either have a specific purpose(last week it was "I want a sturdy tripod with a good ball head that I'll actually carry with me") or they are happenstance purchases(oh, I could really do something interesting with that...I already use the one I have all the time so it would be nice to have another to do...).

There are also the things I want even though I honestly have no justification for them. I have two current production Nikon lenses on my want list now-the 135mm f/2 DC and the 14mm f/2.8. I can make some good arguments for the 135mm DC, although I've also been dissuaded by someone who had one and sold it-I'm considering finding another 135mm f/2 AI-S to replace my poor example I have now. My justification for the 14mm is pretty weak-I have a zoom that covers that range and is optically better at 14mm. The prime is "film friendly" since it can use rear gels and also has an aperture ring pre-drilled for a metering shoe for full meter coupling and AE compatibility with cameras made before the mid-90s. It's lighter than the 14-24 f/2.8 and also a tiny bit wider, but those are both very small differences.

Now, the 40mm Distagon I want is a different story :) . A nice example is also more expensive than both of the above lenses.

Plus, let's face it-no matter how impractical they are(for folks who aren't wildlife or sports photographers), super-teles are fun. Who DOESN'T want a 400mm f/2.8 or 600mm f/4? I compromised by buying a "baby" super-tele in the Nikon 300mm f/4-with high res sensors cropping often gets it close enough to get something useable for the few times I could legitimately use a longer lens. Its biggest technical failing is that focusing is slow as molasses.

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
with darkroom stuff(yes, I'm still looking for both an Omega 45 and a Jobo).

I have an unused (new) Jobo CPP2 with film and print drums sitting on a shelf in my basement. It's from a project I never got to start. I don't have an Omega 45 but I do have a Beseler 23C XL II with a couple of Schneider lenses (50mm and 80mm) and condenser and diffusion color heads. PM me if you're interested in any of this stuff.

malofx

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
I wondered why we weren't seeing you around these parts Oscar! I thought it may have been family commitments, maybe a new bubba or such, but it saddens me to hear the actual reason why.

I have to agree with you, there's constructive criticism and critical commentary. I too have no problem with constructive criticisms of any kind as you can evolve your art as a result of this, but criticisms like "it's ordinary" are not of any benefit to anyone, had the individual made the effort to share what could have been done to lift it above the ordinary, that would have been helpful; maybe a simpler / clearer background, framing it differently and creating a different POV, having it larger in the frame, etc...

When you are ready, it would be good to have you join in again.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and your kind words. I hope to be back regularly.

I also would like to share, that back in 2001 when this used to be MacAddict, this forum helped me built my very first PC, I've always been a Mac, but I needed the PC to play stupid games like CounterStrike and World Of Warcraft, well, being able to built that PC opened up a whole new door for me, I have then since been working as IT Support for a big school district here in Los Angeles (not the best job), but it's been good to me. I have now been slowly moving towards photography and I'm loving it.

Thank you all in this forum for all the help/teaching you provide others. I thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.