Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Hmm. This has disappointed me a bit because I thought we were doing a good job of being welcoming regardless. We arent cliquey, just there are a few of us who over years have learned each others humour and we have a laugh. For example I have an unhealthy obsession with Leica and Apple Fanboy wont have a bad word spoken about Nikon so we wind each other up. Its a British thing not a cliquey thing and typically a mark of respect when you reach that stage.

The idea being it keeps it light hearted not like any of the other lists of monotonous photography forums where shutter-virgins are sacrificed on the altar of superficial opinions from the elders. I was once told by an "expert" to shoot my lens at f23! Utter nonsense especially since my lens used didnt go past f16. Experienced means nothing to me. I am experienced and still crap. I have no interest in cliques, what I have an interest in is learning to take better images and having a laugh along the way. If I ever behave in a way outside this I want to be told. In fact we even meet physically. Some of us at shows, others have travelled from the US to the UK and we take each other places so honestly not feeling welcome is something that we can fix because you are regardless of your blood line or credentials.

If you dont care about gear or critiques then thats cool. Personally I like retro stuff so rangefinders, fountain pens, mechanical watches i iove hearing about the creative process that people use - hence creating the how I did that thread. I love to see people like bunnspecial using exotic cameras and his finds in junk stores. I love seeing people post with old cameras as it helps me have confidence I can improve my skills.

I love to understand the process. One thing I struggle with personally and you see it in my pictures despite being experienced, is I struggle to realise my vision between the camera and publishing. So I enjoy reading about workflows as it helps me understand where I can focus to improve.

Critique i dont understand what you mean. If you want to post and not get critique, we will fast learn to appreciate your contribution but not comment. Though I do reserve the right on an open forum to tell you I like your work.

Lots of people come here initially looking for that step into photography having just bought an Apple Mac of some description so we get lots of the typical what should I buy first questions. The thing is, the forum is fluid, whoever posts a question, they will usually get an answer. If you want just post photos, then picture of the day or start a new thread are your answer.

I dont know, I waffled too much as usual but basically I hoped this little corner if the internet was ticking those boxes a bit better. There is work to do.

Please post some of your work. We would love to see it.

I agree and find the lack of photo snobbery refreshing here compared to other forums I’ve been to. It’s so much more laid back here and it’s one reason (of many) as to why I’ve stuck around.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It just doesn't seem very welcoming to experienced photographers.
I don't care about gear or critique - which seems to be the main emphasis of this sub-forum.
It just seems a little cliquey as a sub-forum about photography.
I think we would love to see your photos. The more the merrier. I often invite people to post when I see they have bought camera gear in the post your last purchase thread.

Yes we have a bit of fun and banter, but isn't that what makes life fun? There are a few of us Brits with our weird sense of humour, but lots of people just post photos and not much else.

So come on in, stay awhile and see if what you thought was a clique is actually just friendship with people who have a common interest.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I think we would love to see your photos. The more the merrier. I often invite people to post when I see they have bought camera gear in the post your last purchase thread.

Yes we have a bit of fun and banter, but isn't that what makes life fun? There are a few of us Brits with our weird sense of humour, but lots of people just post photos and not much else.

So come on in, stay awhile and see if what you thought was a clique is actually just friendship with people who have a common interest.

sorry AFB, could not resist,
but the reality is, well said!

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Here's my attempt at an anecdote -

A friend went to Edinburgh for the first time so he asked me about all the places I like. I gave him a list of bars a places to eat, a few things to see. he was only there for 2 days for work so not much time to do more than that. Anyway, I sent him off to the Queens Arms one night because I Loved it there. The bartenders were friendly and I had a blast talking with them as they poured me delicious whiskey.

So my friend gets there and he loves the whiskey selection but feels like the bartenders are a bit cold, that they aren't chatty at all. I told him to just warm up a bit. It's less about being stand-offish than it is about the UK way of don't bother people that don't want to be bothered! So he kept ordering whiskey and kept the small talk up. An hour later he texted me and said now he can't get them to stop talking! He loved it. But if he had just given up, those conversations never would have happened.

That's pretty much how this place works too. We try not to bother folks that don't want to be bothered. But if you ask, we'll offer a response to whatever you're asking. And if you stick around long enough, you'll never get us to leave you alone. lol. Perhaps the casualness of this place isn't for everyone, and that's fine.

We're also just a single subforum so all conversations about photography are in 1 place - contests, daily posts, equipment discussions, weekly contests, so I can see how it can look to the outside - there that's tons of chatter about all kinds of things. But the threads tend to stay on topic.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I admit I still don’t really understand the complaint of @redshifted. Just because not everyone on this site has been shooting since 1983 doesn’t mean they don’t have valuable opinions. Photography to me is about saving a memory, evoking an emotion, or just shooting something pretty. It gets me out of my head. I don’t need 30 years worth of experience for that, and neither does anyone else.

Snobbery like that keeps me away from other boards. We are all on our own path here.

Last edited:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
One of my closet friends is a professional photographer. He is very much a snob when talking about other professionals but respectful of non-professionals when he views their images in moderation. He acknowledges that he is a snob. He asked me about these sub-fora. I suggested he stay away because it would be too frustrating for him and I did not want to see his snobbishness come out here. Perhaps @redshifted should follow the same advice. As for anyone, you are welcome to be here and participate with respect. You are not welcome to challenge the validity and integrity of what we do here.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I for one enjoy the humo(u)r and occasional bantering back-and-forth, as well as discussions of specific gear: camera bodies, lenses, etc., especially if someone is using something new with which many are not yet familiar. Such discussions can be helpful if one is considering replacing, updating or adding to one's own gear, especially if the other product is a different brand or format. I also appreciate discussions around a particular image, as one can learn a lot by seeing and hearing how another photographer was thinking as he or she created that image.

This -- the digital photography subforum -- has always been one of my favorite areas of MacRumors and I think it serves a valuable purpose. It's a more open type discussion than one would find on a forum devoted to one specific brand or one particular style of photography, and for me that is what makes it fun and interesting.

Last edited:

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
I think the Photo of the Day is a great thread and can be quite instructive to those of us who take photos casually, as part of our everyday lives. I know from some of the comments that I now spend a bit longer understanding the composition of the picture I am about to take and have been pretty happy with my "progression."

But, having said that, I have seen a few newbies get "roughed up" by some of the judges of the weekly photo contest, which has probably pushed those same newbies to the sidelines.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I think the Photo of the Day is a great thread and can be quite instructive to those of us who take photos casually, as part of our everyday lives. I know from some of the comments that I now spend a bit longer understanding the composition of the picture I am about to take and have been pretty happy with my "progression."
This is good to hear! I was the same, and still am, I don't think the learning ever ends.

But, having said that, I have seen a few newbies get "roughed up" by some of the judges of the weekly photo contest, which has probably pushed those same newbies to the sidelines.
I've never witnessed this "roughing up" in the weekly contest. Lots of bad dad puns, but never anything that could even remotely be taken as a personal attack of any sort. Can you perhaps direct us to an example of this?

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hmm. This has disappointed me a bit because I thought we were doing a good job of being welcoming regardless. We arent cliquey, just there are a few of us who over years have learned each others humour and we have a laugh. For example I have an unhealthy obsession with Leica and Apple Fanboy wont have a bad word spoken about Nikon so we wind each other up. Its a British thing not a cliquey thing and typically a mark of respect when you reach that stage.

The idea being it keeps it light hearted not like any of the other lists of monotonous photography forums where shutter-virgins are sacrificed on the altar of superficial opinions from the elders. I was once told by an "expert" to shoot my lens at f23! Utter nonsense especially since my lens used didnt go past f16. Experienced means nothing to me. I am experienced and still crap. I have no interest in cliques, what I have an interest in is learning to take better images and having a laugh along the way. If I ever behave in a way outside this I want to be told. In fact we even meet physically. Some of us at shows, others have travelled from the US to the UK and we take each other places so honestly not feeling welcome is something that we can fix because you are regardless of your blood line or credentials.

If you dont care about gear or critiques then thats cool. Personally I like retro stuff so rangefinders, fountain pens, mechanical watches i iove hearing about the creative process that people use - hence creating the how I did that thread. I love to see people like bunnspecial using exotic cameras and his finds in junk stores. I love seeing people post with old cameras as it helps me have confidence I can improve my skills.

I love to understand the process. One thing I struggle with personally and you see it in my pictures despite being experienced, is I struggle to realise my vision between the camera and publishing. So I enjoy reading about workflows as it helps me understand where I can focus to improve.

Critique i dont understand what you mean. If you want to post and not get critique, we will fast learn to appreciate your contribution but not comment. Though I do reserve the right on an open forum to tell you I like your work.

Lots of people come here initially looking for that step into photography having just bought an Apple Mac of some description so we get lots of the typical what should I buy first questions. The thing is, the forum is fluid, whoever posts a question, they will usually get an answer. If you want just post photos, then picture of the day or start a new thread are your answer.

I dont know, I waffled too much as usual but basically I hoped this little corner if the internet was ticking those boxes a bit better. There is work to do.

Please post some of your work. We would love to see it.

I'm pretty much in and out around here, mainly due to my schedule (time away from MacRumors and lack of time to shoot). However, I have never found this area of MR (or any, really) to be unwelcoming or overly critical. When I do post, I appreciate comments and feedback on my images, but I can't remember one instance where I was treated in an unfriendly, unwelcome way... and I have learned quite a bit from the kind words, encouragement and critical eye towards my work and my techniques.

Since I do post images when time allows and when I have images worth posting, I may not be in the core group at whom Alex was directing his inquiry, but I felt compelled to respond, nonetheless.

And let's not forget the "dad" jokes... beautiful images and a bit of corny (attempted) humor often rule the day.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I visit this forum every time I have am on Macrumors. I guess I am a bit shy plus have been dealing with a lot in my private life. I have a largish library of photos though.

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
I've never witnessed this "roughing up" in the weekly contest. Lots of bad dad puns, but never anything that could even remotely be taken as a personal attack of any sort. Can you perhaps direct us to an example of this?

So, I haven't seen one in a while but the comment usually centred on 'well, it's just a snapshot' implying to me at least, well anyone can shoot one of those, next! Again, I've probably only seen 2 or 3 of those types of comments but who knows how many lurkers, like me, will have read them.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I have a largish library of photos though.
Now that sounds intriguing! :cool:

So, I haven't seen one in a while but the comment usually centred on 'well, it's just a snapshot' implying to me at least, well anyone can shoot one of those, next! Again, I've probably only seen 2 or 3 of those types of comments but who knows how many lurkers, like me, will have read them.
This is interesting to me, as one that lives with intense mental health challenges brought on by repeated traumas in young life. I have a habit of reading criticisms where there aren't any, as a bizarre form of self-protection which is part of my CPTSD. However, I have learnt to take that sort of comment as a cajoling to push myself further, rather than just take the stock, standard view of something that everyone does take, initially. So now, as a result, I tend to spend some time thinking and observing before I even press the shutter button or raise the camera to my eye. I'm actually thankful for the times I had been told that an image of mine is just a snapshot, or words to that effect. But, I am not everybody and can't speak for everybody here, just from my own place of experience.

Maybe if that sort of comment were to be accompanied by an example of how taking a few steps to either side or getting down lower might have effectively changed the POV and made the image more interesting, it could be better?

Last edited:

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
No, but I thing it might be more than just a "thin skin." I think there's a feeling amongst everyone who does something outside of their norm, that maybe this one time they might've just done something that's up there with the good guys - and then to be passed over without any critique as you've suggested, just because it's a snapshot, hell the individual may just do the Italian chin salute and move along - not losing any sleep, still taking pictures for his/her enjoyment, but no longer has any interest in participating in the thread.

And this is just not pertinent to this thread and photos it can pertain to any number of other exploits like hobbyist painters, woodworkers, pottery throwers, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
No, but I thing it might be more than just a "thin skin." I think there's a feeling amongst everyone who does something outside of their norm, that maybe this one time they might've just done something that's up there with the good guys - and then to be passed over without any positive critique, as you've suggested, the individual my just do the Italian chin salute and move along - not losing any sleep, still taking pictures for his/her enjoyment, but no longer has any interest in participating in the thread.
In my Mindful Photography groups, I am lucky in that I get to work out how the different participants respond to things and then get to tailor that feedback for them. Some, like you have mentioned, need constant praise first and foremost, then the constructive criticism worded very gently for them. Others, love to be challenged (sort of) to push themselves further and to think and see things differently and therefore more creatively. Doing that effectively via a written medium like an Internet forum is very hard to do, you can't see the subtle facial clues or hear the vocal changes to be able to react quickly and redirect your suggestions more appropriately. It can come off as uncaring and harsh as a result.

Reactions: kenoh and RobaxMan

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In my Mindful Photography groups, I am lucky in that I get to work out how the different participants respond to things and then get to tailor that feedback for them. Some, like you have mentioned, need constant praise first and foremost, then the constructive criticism worded very gently for them. Others, love to be challenged (sort of) to push themselves further and to think and see things differently and therefore more creatively. Doing that effectively via a written medium like an Internet forum is very hard to do, you can't see the subtle facial clues or hear the vocal changes to be able to react quickly and redirect your suggestions more appropriately. It can come off as uncaring and harsh as a result.
Just for future reference, I like to be told when my stuff is crap! No need to worry about my thin skin.
I tend to only offer critique to those that ask, or to simply say if I love it.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I have seen a few newbies get "roughed up" by some of the judges of the weekly photo contest, which has probably pushed those same newbies to the sidelines.

This is an interesting perspective and I'm sure is valid from the point of view of the person who has posted the shot. However, it's for opposite reasoning that I no longer post in the Weekly Photo Contest thread.

I don't have examples and can't remember when it happened (hasn't happened in a while) but I recall a number of different judges getting roughed-up for offering what I thought was constructive criticism/critique/feedback of a submitted photos.

The Weekly Photo Contest thread is an opportunity to have some lighthearted fun and hopefully learn in the process. But, the expressed anger that I recall reading put me off and, for me, effectively eliminated the enjoyable aspect of the thread.

~ Peter

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I feel like anyone who posts in the Weekly Challenge thread (or any photo challenge on any board) should do so only if they are willing to hear and accept (or reject) any negative feedback. Challenges have a predisposed bias to them already, and not every challenge will be liked by everyone (so sit those out if necessary). I learn a lot from reading the feedback every week, and I think all feedback, good and bad, in those threads should be offered with the intent of helping photographers to grow. In the year that I've been a regular poster here I have never once seen any feedback that would be seen as overly harsh, which to me would be akin to hearing, "This photo is crap and I can't believe you ever posted it." No one here talks like that. A challenge should be hard by nature, and not everyone will hit the mark. This is okay. :) Take the feedback and apply it to your next photo. I admit sometimes I roll my eyes at some of the feedback given, as everyone is on a different level here and sometimes even the judges might be wrong on something. But that's okay, too. Again, we are all on different paths, but just having the discussion opens you up to learning something new.

I do think the POTD thread should be lighthearted and I try to "like" all photos as they are posted because that thread is really for any and everyone. Literally share a photo, no strings or expectations attached.

Robotti

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
I rarely post, because I don’t know where to post. Sometimes I participate in the weekly competition when the subject and timing are right for me. This thread is the best, because you can be sure to get at least some critique for your photo. The Photo of the day thread goes on very fast, and it’s not for CC, which would be the main reason for me to post. Also, I wouldn’t start a new thread for my photo.

If there was a thread for CC only (only relevant discussion allowed), I would post there a lot and also share my views on other photos.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I rarely post, because I don’t know where to post. Sometimes I participate in the weekly competition when the subject and timing are right for me. This thread is the best, because you can be sure to get at least some critique for your photo. The Photo of the day thread goes on very fast, and it’s not for CC, which would be the main reason for me to post. Also, I wouldn’t start a new thread for my photo.

If there was a thread for CC only (only relevant discussion allowed), I would post there a lot and also share my views on other photos.

Create one.... Create the thread, put a good description in the first post of what it is, then we can ask a moderator (they walk amongst us) to make it sticky. Then we can get to it and not lose it. I would like that too as I frequently plateau in my development and would love some slightly less kid gloves treatment sometimes - maybe call the thread " the Mosh Pit" lol because you know you are going to get bumped about if you go in there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.