Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Why is everyone annoyed at the OP? Y’all are being kinda rude tbh. He/she is clearly a bit upset at resorting to this decision and was likely looking to vent some of that frustration here, and although it didn’t come across rude or aggressive at all, the same cannot be said for some of the responses. Be kinder to one another, it costs nothing.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
No plans to switch to another phone but also no plans to buy a new iPhone on launch day (or this year) for the first time in 10 years either. I'd probably do it if they swapped the lightning port for USB-C or something else exciting but not for a slightly faster CPU and better camera. I do think Apple is slowly getting back on track and dealing with some things that they've ignored in the past when they were seemingly drunk on iPhone revenue. Hoping the new 16" MBP is legit.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
Why is everyone annoyed at the OP? Y’all are being kinda rude tbh. He/she is clearly a bit upset at resorting to this decision and was likely looking to vent some of that frustration here, and although it didn’t come across rude or aggressive at all, the same cannot be said for some of the responses. Be kinder to one another, it costs nothing.

Because it would have been nicer on his part to have found an Android forum where he could have crapped all over Apple and found a bunch of sympathetic, if not elitist, shoulders to vent on.

And tbh, no one asked you to criticize our posts. You might have been a little bit rude in dumping on those of us who responded to him.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Come at me!

Thanks for reading
I would have bought the cable - rather, actually, I would have returned the POS X model iPhone and gotten an iPhone 8 instead - you’re better off without the X model iPhone anyway, since they are basically Android phones.

In fact, the Android phones at least have a virtual home button, which Apple apparently couldn’t figure out.

Reactions: motulist and Aydy

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Yes I did. I know my judgement is not as good as yours. Being objective is a hard thing to learn I see.
... you’re not being objective.

An objective observation would have recognized that the issue lies with the MacBook Pro not shipping with a USB adapter - in which case you should have returned the MacBook Pro.

Let’s face it, you’re just trolling.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Because it would have been nicer on his part to have found an Android forum where he could have crapped all over Apple and found a bunch of sympathetic, if not elitist, shoulders to vent on.

And tbh, no one asked you to criticize our posts. You might have been a little bit rude in dumping on those of us who responded to him.
Relax. Why so combative. These forums have turned everyone so defensive. It feels like no one discusses the qualities and issues here anymore. It’s like everyone is in acute defence mode

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It’s hilarious. OP ends his first post with “Come at me” He gets come at and still complains about the responses he gets.

Buying cables have been part of the game for years. Buy a cable get the job done keep it movin.

This is the real reason. He clearly owns a newer Mac Pro with USB-C only ports (also a compromise). How was he in any way shocked he may encounter the same thing with his iPhone? It is almost impossible to use a MacBook Pro in any type of professional setting and not own a dongle. I would have thought he was returning that vs the iPhone.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Lol so those of us who would choose to buy a cheap fix vs throwing a tantrum and changing platforms are blind, loyalist, fanboys? I’m sure nearly all of us realized the point you were trying to make; we simply find it to be a case of overreacting.

I don’t like everything Apple does. But at the same time, I’m not going to impulsively upend everything over a decision I don’t prefer. What you call blind/fanboy, I call being rational.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Let's be honest... the reason the iPhone still comes with a Lightning to USB-A cable is because there are simply more USB-A ports out in the world.

Cars have them. Airplanes have them. Hotel rooms have them. You probably have a dozen power bricks already that have them. There are literally billions of USB-A ports in the world.

So when it was time for Apple to decide which plug to put on the end of the included iPhone cable... they went with USB-A

If you want to be mad at Apple... be mad at them for not putting USB-A ports on the Macbook Pro.

And to that point... I think it's funny that the OP decided to keep the Macbook Pro that only has USB-C ports. He's been on these forums for 8 years... hasn't he seen all the "dongle town" threads here?

He might have solved(?) his phone-to-computer connection problems by buying a cheap Android phone with a USB-C port. But wait until someone hands him a USB-A flash drive to plug into his Macbook Pro... or any other legacy USB device.

Maybe he will post another thread "Why I left the Mac... ports..."

I understand how it can be frustrating when ports change. But I can't see switching to an entirely different phone platform because of a port on your computer.

But that's just me. :p

Reactions: ZeitGeist

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And, if you “knew that these products have different ports”, why did you carry on with the purchase?
Ah, yes. The one question I was reading to see if someone would ask.

And now that it's been asked we all might note that the OP had disappeared. Kind of hard to have an answer to that one. Even if OP didn't know, OP should have known.

OP's problem is of his own making.

On another note…I'm annoyed Apple won't let me sync my iPhone 6s+ and my 6th Gen iPad with my PowerMac G5 Quad and my 2003 17" PowerBook G4.

Wonder if I should toss out all my PowerPC Macs!

Not…

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest

You can't end your post with "Come at me!" and expect people not to do exactly that. IMO, you get what you ask for.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
These ‘Why I left the iPhone’ threads surface probably once every two months, it’s the exact same story every single time. What you’re sacrificing with the iPhone when you leave, isn’t the hardware, because I think the competition offers comparable specifications/technology, but you’re leaving this _security_ in terms of nothing can compare to the iPhone in that matter. Not to mention, the fact that Apple provides five years of iOS support, that alone keeps me in heavily involved in their ecosystem.

I expect the next update from the OP in two months from now, ‘Why I came back to the iPhone.’ :D

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
There was no need to be defensive until we were attacked without provocation. So you relax.

“Attacked”
Oh my dayz. I’m done!

This place is crazeee. Or perhaps I put too many lavender drops in my bath where I was typing my original response. I’m not on the same level as these responses. I came in peace, I leave in pieces ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
These ‘Why I left the iPhone’ threads surface probably once every two months, it’s the exact same story every single time.
These always annoy me.

We left iPhone two months ago, but I never made a thread about it - because I still own Apple products and use them and like them. I make my own decisions, I don't need consensus or validation for the choices I make.

I hate the camera bump and have expressed that opinion many times, but I've never started a thread about it.

You just have to wonder what sort of validation these people are searching for and why they seek it here.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
These always annoy me.

We left iPhone two months ago, but I never made a thread about it - because I still own Apple products and use them and like them. I make my own decisions, I don't need consensus or validation for the choices I make.

I hate the camera bump and have expressed that opinion many times, but I've never started a thread about it.

You just have to wonder what sort of validation these people are searching for and why they seek it here.
Isn’t it just a little vent the op was having? I would’ve said rant but reading back it was clearly a light venting of frustration. Surely we’re ok with that?

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
“Attacked”
Oh my dayz. I’m done!

This place is crazeee. Or perhaps I put too many lavender drops in my bath where I was typing my original response. I’m not on the same level as these responses. I came in peace, I leave in pieces ;)

Let’s have a quick reality check while you put away the clutching pearls, smelling salts, and fainting couch. You came here, not in peace, but openly critical of those of us who responded to the OP, myself included. I explained why it might have been inappropriate and misguided to have critiqued us in that manner. Then you snottily told me to relax. And after all this aggressive behavior from you, you have the nerve to paint yourself as a victim? Time to do a checkup from the neck up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.