Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Isn’t it just a little vent the op was having? I would’ve said rant but reading back it was clearly a light venting of frustration. Surely we’re ok with that?
If that's all it takes to make OP frustrated then OP will need some help when he runs into a real problem.

But to deal with your question, here's the thing. We all have our frustrations and our rants. Even the people in this thread who've been opinionated about Android all have their issues with Apple.

But there is a difference between voicing your frustration and asking for help/solutions and what OP did. OP didn't voice his frustration. He came in, told us what he did and then expected us all to agree with him. OP only expected criticism from a group of people he'd already decided to marginalize.

So OP pretty much got what he expected which confirmed his own prejudged opinion.

That doesn't sound like being open to a discussion about frustrations you have with an Apple product. And it's that type of discussion that these forums are about.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Let’s have a quick reality check while you put away the clutching pearls, smelling salts, and fainting couch. You came here, not in peace, but openly critical of those of us who responded to the OP, myself included. I explained why it might have been inappropriate and misguided to have critiqued us in that manner. Then you snottily told me to relax. And after all this aggressive behavior from you, you have the nerve to paint yourself as a victim? Time to do a checkup from the neck up.
Lol. It’s really not that deep. Apologies if you found my wording aggressive. Not my intention. I am mortified to be thought of as a victim tbh. I’m nobody’s victim & hopefully never have been.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I am not negative, I am describing a real issue, which lot of religious people here defend. If Apple put a USB c onto the iPhone I would continue using it. This is why the majority of people think that Apple users are blind.

One sincere question besides the discussion, is anything you dislike about apple?
There it is....

Reactions: millerj123

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I’ve been saying for a while that Apple should have ditched USB-A on the iPhone a while ago.

Makes no sense to penalize customers who are paying top dollar for your premium laptops and instead give an advantage to people not buying your new laptops.

I myself only have 1 single USB-A Lightning cable, which is in my car for CarPlay. Even my latest work laptop has USB-C now. USB-A is quickly becoming a legacy port and Apple should be putting their money where their mouth is.

Reactions: Wide opeN

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. Just to comment my point of view.

Why I left the iPhone?
I bought the latest macbook pro 2019. I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good but one thing.

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me is grotesque.

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Come at me!

Thanks for reading

You raise a very valid point. This has been representative of Apple over the last few years - extreme focus on improving the bottom line, but not much (if any) effort being put into any real innovation. Making great products, pushing the boundaries of design, and creating delightful user experiences have all taken a back seat. In fact, I find a lot of Apple products are, at times, frustrating to use, such as my wife's MacBook for instance. Notwithstanding the dearth of ports, its keyboard is simply a deal breaker - many, including myself would be happy to trade off a few inches in thinness for a more comfortable keyboard. Of course, the geniuses over at Apple simply don't get this and continue to push form over function.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aydy and Wide opeN

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
Why is everyone annoyed at the OP? Y’all are being kinda rude tbh. He/she is clearly a bit upset at resorting to this decision and was likely looking to vent some of that frustration here, and although it didn’t come across rude or aggressive at all, the same cannot be said for some of the responses. Be kinder to one another, it costs nothing.

Kindness on MacRumors?? Expect Jesus to come back before you see that, whether you believe in him or not.

Reactions: Aydy

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. Just to comment my point of view.

Why I left the iPhone?
I bought the latest macbook pro 2019. I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good but one thing.

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me is grotesque.

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Come at me!

Thanks for reading

I find this really hard to understand.

In this case you are probably going to lose a substantial amount of money on the sales of your iPhone XS Max in comparison to the initial price you paid for it. At this point in time, with the new iPhones just around the corner, the lost alone from the sales of your iPhone XS Max would likely be more than the cost of a budget android phone.

Furthermore by moving to an android phone you are losing so many wonderful features in the Apple ecosystem like continuity, handoff, Airdrop, universe clipboard etc.

In the same situation, I would do as so many have already voiced, purchase the USB-C to USB-A adapter. There are generic adapters, some with multiple USB-A ports that are price really reasonably.

It just makes more sense.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree that it’s ridiculous that they don’t have a compatible cable out of the box. But it seems to me that your response to that hurt nobody but yourself.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
On the flip side, Apple was maybe trying not to piss off the millions upon millions of users that use USBa connectors just to appease you?

Two sides to every problem.

True that! Would be costly time wise, to have to replace the already fitted in cable for carplay just to switch to USB-C from lighting.

Last edited:

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
Macs should come with USB c to lightening cable in the box. Yeah yeah I know Apple not gonna do it (if anything they might remove something that in the box today)

Unless it is possible to do a full back-up of an iOS device wirelessly onto a mac? Just asking -why would you connect the phone to the mac otherwise?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think about it.

Nobody that can afford a 1300 dollar phone and a 3000 dollar computer would settle for a 150 dollar phone over a 20 dollar cable or a 5 dollar dongle.
Op is just having a laugh.
Or really has had an android device all along...

Reactions: Shirasaki

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I didn’t realize Android phones were shipped with USB-C to USB-C cables that work “natively” with the latest Macs. Either I’m a silly dilly and I’m overlooking something, or you’re blowing smoke for the sake of blowing smoke.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
What if the 2019 iPhones still use the lightning connector, lol...

There's little reason to believe, at this point, that they won't. I guess the OP overreacted, but I see where he is coming from and can certainly sympathize. That being said, if Apple released the latest-gen iPad Pros with a USB-C port, then why not transition the iPhone too, and simply ship a a Type A to Type C cable in the box?

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
As offended as you seem by the omission of a cable, the real question is.... is there a better experience/ecosystem etc out there?

Pretty sure you're not reveling in bliss connecting an S10 to a Samsung laptop either, marveling at the perfect execution of hardware and software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.