Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I use both android and iOS. My Xs Max is typical of the experience I’d expect of Apple. It doesn’t disappoint in that regard. I feel iOS is still quite stale and dated if I’m to be honest, though iOS 13 is around the corner with some much needed (imo) goodness. With regard to android, What has really surprised me is how seamlessly android 9 (pie) has integrated with Samsung’s OneUI. It’s now very cohesive and has been refreshing and ultimately pleasurable to use. I feel current android devices are finally proving their worth.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I didn’t realize Android phones were shipped with USB-C to USB-C cables that work “natively” with the latest Macs. Either I’m a silly dilly and I’m overlooking something, or you’re blowing smoke for the sake of blowing smoke.

My last 3 Samsung phones included cables+dongle to connect 2 USBC phones together for transferring data.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
My last 3 Samsung phones included cables+dongle to connect 2 USBC phones together for transferring data.
My sons A70 came with usb-c to usb-c and a 25w super fast charge adapter in the box. If I’m not mistaken the A70 is the first Samsung device to ship with “super” fast charge which I found odd being it’s considered a midrange device. I thought this would have been exclusive to flagships.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
My sons A70 came with usb-c to usb-c and a 25w super fast charge adapter in the box. If I’m not mistaken the A70 is the first Samsung device to ship with “super” fast charge which I found odd being it’s considered a midrange device. I thought this would have been exclusive to flagships.

Shame Samsung won’t ship a fast charger with their new flagship the note 10.

Personally if I’m not using a wireless charger my iPads power brick fast charges my iPhone.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

Oh you mean the same adapter (note, adapter doesn’t make it “native”) that they’ve had for years that cost $4? Didn’t realize a $4 adapter is grounds for a make it or break it deal when it comes to your MacBook... there is nothing native about this solution.

Last edited:

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
While I agree it's stupid that Apple won't give a USB C cable with iPhone I wouldn't have sold my phone over the issue... Amazon has plenty of cheaper MFI cables that would have worked.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Oh you mean the same adapter (note, adapter doesn’t make it “native”) that they’ve had for years that cost $4? Didn’t realize a $4 adapter is grounds for a make it or break it deal when it comes to your MacBook... there is nothing native about this solution.

Samsung's out of the box it works vs apples nickel and dimming.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Samsung's out of the box it works vs apples nickel and dimming.

If you look at premium smartphone sales. Yes the majority of consumers are more than ok with apple including a usb a to lighting cable in the box.

In fact the take away is that consumers are more concerned about the phone that comes in the box versus any of the freebies that might be included.

Didn’t know Samsung fans cared more about the included dongle and free headphones than they do the galaxy smartphone, but that does make a lot of sense.

The majority of Consumers on the other don’t seem to care.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I prefer iPhones but at the end of the day a modern smartphone regardless of operating system essentially does the same thing. You can still take pics, email, phone, browse the internet, social media and view it all on a nice screen. Willy waving over which is better is never going to get a definitive conclusion as we all have different preferences anyway. The OP isn’t going to have a dramatic life changing experience by going with Samsung and will likely find all their smartphone needs met.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi guys!
Why I left the iPhone?
...I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.
Completely understand where you are coming from. But what, my I ask, did you need to physically connect your iPhone to your Mac for? I haven't physically connected a device to any of my macs since iOS7. What is that five or six years ago?

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.
But they do connect natively and it is so awesome! AirDrop for example if you like to do it the hard way. Otherwise, just take picture and yep, it appears on my MBP, iMac, MacMini, iPad; or write a note, BAM appears everywhere! Source code saved via VSCode appears on all devices without needing 3rd party, usb stick or 5¼ floppy. Even better, I can turn on grandma's 1990 Gateway running Windows 3.1 and still get access to the document, photo, almost everything (iTunes does not work on grandma's computer, but I'm willing to forgive that).

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.
But you are losing so much of the awesome. You'll look old school, breaking out your backpack to pull out a cable to physically connect your laptop to your Android at Starbucks. All the kids will be impressed. (last was added for the come at me recommendation, I'm happy if you are happy.)

I use the right tools for the right job. For you, right now that is an Android to Mac.

Thanks for reading.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Samsung's out of the box it works vs apples nickel and dimming. It is ok if you don't care but you are delusional if you think everyone is ok with that

Lol switching a $750+ phone that works better with a $2000+ computer over a $4 adapter (or $20 cable) is petty and trivial.

Reactions: millerj123

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
With respect, after 13yrs with Apple, and every iPhone since the 3G, I'm not seeing anything compelling enough for a XS MAX or any other $1k+ iPhone. I don't imagine I'm the only one who sees it this way so I continue to hold on to my aging 7+ handset until something better comes along. I'm not compelled by Android offerings but not eager to get a device which, in my mind, does little more than what my 7+ does, only bigger/better/faster/etc. In short, I'm just not seeing the utility/capability that woo's me from the 7+, and I think that's a dangerous mindset for Apple's customer base to have.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
With respect, after 13yrs with Apple, and every iPhone since the 3G, I'm not seeing anything compelling enough for a XS MAX or any other $1k+ iPhone. I don't imagine I'm the only one who sees it this way so I continue to hold on to my aging 7+ handset until something better comes along. I'm not compelled by Android offerings but not eager to get a device which, in my mind, does little more than what my 7+ does, only bigger/better/faster/etc. In short, I'm just not seeing the utility/capability that woo's me from the 7+, and I think that's a dangerous mindset for Apple's customer base to have.

That’s the beauty of it. You don’t have to get new. Apple does a much better job than Google (more-so android phone manufacturers than Google, but Google has to share the blame for not forcing companies to update faster) at providing updates to their phones. The iPhone 6s is 4 years old this year and still receiving updates, and is guaranteed to until at least September next year. Most Android manufacturers take 1 or 2 Android updates and make them compatible with their devices, and further more, when Google does update Android, it takes forever for most non vanilla android devices to be updated.

It’s not a dangerous mindset to value privacy, the ecosystem, and longevity over the latest features. The Android landscape is rather stagnant as well in the innovation department, so let’s not go there.

Reactions: Wide opeN

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
That’s the beauty of it. You don’t have to get new. Apple does a much better job than Google (more-so android phone manufacturers than Google, but Google has to share the blame for not forcing companies to update faster) at providing updates to their phones. The iPhone 6s is 4 years old this year and still receiving updates, and is guaranteed to until at least September next year. Most Android manufacturers take 1 or 2 Android updates and make them compatible with their devices, and further more, when Google does update Android, it takes forever for most non vanilla android devices to be updated.

It’s not a dangerous mindset to value privacy, the ecosystem, and longevity over the latest features. The Android landscape is rather stagnant as well in the innovation department, so let’s not go there.

I agree with you about android being stagnant
Widgets on the home screen, a few pinned apps, an app drawer, and google search on the home screen.
2a9f3602da9c9e2da9761fa554601c2f.jpg

d229afd741734985e9f6a39b01071282.jpg

It is pretty stale to be honest.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Good luck with your tech future. I would have bought the cable, but that’s me.

I ended up getting the usb c to lightning cable for my iPad Pro. Being able to charge my iPhone and Airpods off it meant I didn’t need to have a power bank on me when I was overseas.

Reactions: I7guy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Non-apple cables cost less. Why not get non-apple smartphone too.

That’s what I do, I Purchased non-Apple cables by Anker. They’re MFI certified, inexpensive and durable. Even Amazon Basics cables are outstanding for the price point.

Reactions: At Sea

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You're not alone. There's scores of people who are sick of this company (and others who are not... yet)

When it stops being the company that makes the absolute best phones and computers for me and my needs, maybe I will get sick of it.
[doublepost=1563608212][/doublepost]
When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

It’s not sinister or disrespectful. Most iPhone users actually don’t have Macs. But most of them do have USB-A chargers and ports. Apple is pushing USB-C on their computers, you may like it or hate it, but they are realistic enough to know that most iPhone users - which there are a lot more than Mac users - use a different port. Imagine the outrage if people bought iPhones to discover their chargers no longer work!

Buy a $5 adapter. Or a cable. It’s not a big deal and if you think that is sinister and disrespectful - good luck with the tech world, that’s all I’m going to say.

Also, with a new cable or adapter, you can charge your iPhone with the Mac charger, something you could never do before.

Now, if you don’t like the iPhone for different reasons, that’s fine, get the phone you like, ofc.

Last edited:

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
You can't end your post with "Come at me!" and expect people not to do exactly that. IMO, you get what you ask for.

It appears that all the comments that are confused about the OP’s post would seem to never have heard of ‘trolls’.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.