Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I see your point. This is not really about the cables per se. Nor is it about your decision to move from the iPhone to an android device.

I think Apple's design and engineering decisions can be wildly capricious (at least from the customer's point of view). I suspect those decisions are driven by Apple's commitment to it's design aesthetic--when in fact, the customer should be the first consideration. Your point about native connectivity is spot on. I'm sure it was a choice that Apple considered but ultimately rejected because it conflicted in some way with their overall design philosophy which drives the look, feel and function of every Apple product.

It's amazing but Apple has convinced millions of people that its industrial design is more important than cost-effectiveness or, in your case, the common-sense of compatibility between products.

I think the comments here about your decision not to buy an adapter miss the point.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I see your point. This is not really about the cables per se. Nor is it about your decision to move from the iPhone to an android device.

I think Apple's design and engineering decisions can be wildly capricious (at least from the customer's point of view). I suspect those decisions are driven by Apple's commitment to it's design aesthetic--when in fact, the customer should be the first consideration. Your point about native connectivity is spot on. I'm sure it was a choice that Apple considered but ultimately rejected because it conflicted in some way with their overall design philosophy which drives the look, feel and function of every Apple product.

It's amazing but Apple has convinced millions of people that its industrial design is more important than cost-effectiveness or, in your case, the common-sense of compatibility between products.

I think the comments here about your decision not to buy an adapter miss the point.

The phone DOES connect natively. It connects wirelessly right out of the box via air drop, and iCloud if one chooses. His choice of method to connect is a simple fix. Compatibility is there, and still a better solution than iPhone to windows or android to Mac.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I am describing a real issue, which lot of religious people here defend.

From the book of Job:

"Verily, I say unto thee, thine MacBook Pro shalt natively connect to thine iPhone. And if it shall not be so, then thou shalt cast thine MacBook Pro and iPhone unto the outer realms, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
[doublepost=1563900248][/doublepost]On a serious note...maybe I missed it, but *why* did the phone need to be connected to the computer? Aside from charging and connectivity, I'm not sure.

Charging-wise, my assumption is that in general, the VAST majority of people charge using USB ports (not micro- or USB-C ports). Yeah, it'd annoy me, but meh.

Connectivity wise, I've owned iPhones since the 4, and can't remember the last time I *had* to connect my phone to any computer.

R0ckyRZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
Florida, USA
I don’t understand. Why do you need to physically connect both... I never had to that myself... is it XS only? Makes no sense. I’m lost.

Is it to use your Apple ID or something else?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Op has barely responded to his thread and hasn’t been seen in two days. Everyone always falls for this stuff.

I think the OP legit came here to rant with a reasonable example where Apple doesn’t always make things the most convenient for consumers. Had the post ended there it probably ends well. But the moment OP took it as far as to mention buying a $150 android phone and switch platforms vs simply buying a $20 adapter, the masses chose to focus on that vs OP’s original point. He/she was clearly irritated by that, called us blind, loyal fanboys, and seemingly let it go.

Last edited:
Reactions: R0ckyRZ

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Value is relative and personal. Cost is also relative and personal, so if for you, personally this experience resulted in reassessing what the cost-value benefit is, then I've nothing to criticise. Having said that my assessment resulted in a slightly different outcome. I own an XS now, but used to own a 6S. After 4 years of normal use, I sold it and still got 33% of its original cost for it, which I then used towards getting the XS. Getting the XS also resulted in selling one of my cameras which became obsolete given the quality of pictures the XS takes. That covered another 25% of the XS' cost. So one of the things I value in an iPhone is its resale value years later. I also value privacy. Having a phone that is basically Google's spyware in every possible way just doesn't sit well with me. Apple aren't 100% innocent either, but for the time being, I trust them more than Google.

I agree with you on that statement. Thanks for the respectful answer.
[doublepost=1563925839][/doublepost]
In the first place, that didn’t make a lot of sense to me. In the second place, you’re using “a lot of religious people” and “the majority of people” to add a cachet of respectability to your opinion. Thirdly, by injecting “religious people” into the conversation, are you saying that Apple or Android is a religion? And lastly, “Apple users are blind” is just a weird thing to say. I can see quite well.

I wasn’t too crazy about their corporate decision to remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. I use my phone as a tuner but now I can’t. Plus, the battery case I use has no pass through for the audio signal. I bought an iPod touch which solved the problem. Expensive fix. I don’t use Bluetooth much because I find it’s hard on my battery.

Thanks for the feedback. I was not trying to be hateful with the question. I got used to the removal of the headphone jack, but in some situations I wish I had it.

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Hate to break it to you, but nobody cares.

Well......actually I don’t really hate to break it to you.
I know you don’t care. But I also don’t care about lots of threads here but I don’t write aggressive comments on the people. Isn’t exactly the purpose of a forum?

I am finding that lots of Apple users are arrogant. But it is okay though. Does not matter.
[doublepost=1563926396][/doublepost]
Why is everyone annoyed at the OP? Y’all are being kinda rude tbh. He/she is clearly a bit upset at resorting to this decision and was likely looking to vent some of that frustration here, and although it didn’t come across rude or aggressive at all, the same cannot be said for some of the responses. Be kinder to one another, it costs nothing.

Thank you for this. I appreciate the kindness. I thing this is why I red the forums for 8 years and never posted. Learnt my lesson.
[doublepost=1563926690][/doublepost]
I would have bought the cable - rather, actually, I would have returned the POS X model iPhone and gotten an iPhone 8 instead - you’re better off without the X model iPhone anyway, since they are basically Android phones.

In fact, the Android phones at least have a virtual home button, which Apple apparently couldn’t figure out.
Maybe this would be a smarter thing to do. Thanks for the feedback. I like Apple products, but this time I got frustrated

Reactions: Farrellcollie

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
... you’re not being objective.

An objective observation would have recognized that the issue lies with the MacBook Pro not shipping with a USB adapter - in which case you should have returned the MacBook Pro.

Let’s face it, you’re just trolling.
I am not trolling. And yes I was objective because this is a (small) but real ux issue. iPhone X should’ve been usb c. But the lightning fees work better for them, and you are not being able to criticize it. It causes an inconvenience.

I can’t sell the MacBook because I need specific Mac OS apps. And I really like it. I think the issue Apple has is a couple of things on the iPhone side. (Such as lightning and slow charger).

it seems that this is changing in iPhone 11, but I would’ve liked to happen earlier.
[doublepost=1563927099][/doublepost]
These always annoy me.

We left iPhone two months ago, but I never made a thread about it - because I still own Apple products and use them and like them. I make my own decisions, I don't need consensus or validation for the choices I make.

I hate the camera bump and have expressed that opinion many times, but I've never started a thread about it.

You just have to wonder what sort of validation these people are searching for and why they seek it here.

I am a bit insecure sometimes ha, maybe you are right that I was looking for some sort of validation. Good catch (not joking)
[doublepost=1563927329][/doublepost]
OP,

You are to blame not Apple. You knew ahead of time the hole was round and your outlet square. That didn’t stop you from running the red light for logic and reasoning. And now that you see the folly of your technology joy ride, you want to blame Apple for not saving you from yourself.

You are right that I run the red light. I could’ ve been smarter in the beginning. Sometimes I am impulsive.

However, I think that Apple should be blamed too for not making it possible to native connect those two devices. That and the slow charger. Man this things are almost the most
Expensive products on the mobile market. That is my issue.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Completely understand where you are coming from. But what, my I ask, did you need to physically connect your iPhone to your Mac for? I haven't physically connected a device to any of my macs since iOS7. What is that five or six years ago?

But they do connect natively and it is so awesome! AirDrop for example if you like to do it the hard way. Otherwise, just take picture and yep, it appears on my MBP, iMac, MacMini, iPad; or write a note, BAM appears everywhere! Source code saved via VSCode appears on all devices without needing 3rd party, usb stick or 5¼ floppy. Even better, I can turn on grandma's 1990 Gateway running Windows 3.1 and still get access to the document, photo, almost everything (iTunes does not work on grandma's computer, but I'm willing to forgive that).

But you are losing so much of the awesome. You'll look old school, breaking out your backpack to pull out a cable to physically connect your laptop to your Android at Starbucks. All the kids will be impressed. (last was added for the come at me recommendation, I'm happy if you are happy.)

I use the right tools for the right job. For you, right now that is an Android to Mac.

Thanks for reading.

Although you used sarcasm a couple of times, I will agree with you on a couple of points. I don’t go to Starbucks though :p. I work from home. I know is not a big deal, but I was kinda frustrated.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I think this year’s iPhone XI will have USB C to lightning cable. They need to announce something for this year’s iPhone. LMAO

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Why is everyone annoyed at the OP? Y’all are being kinda rude tbh. He/she is clearly a bit upset at resorting to this decision and was likely looking to vent some of that frustration here, and although it didn’t come across rude or aggressive at all, the same cannot be said for some of the responses. Be kinder to one another, it costs nothing.
Great post, unfortunately Macrumors is not a free thinking forum, lots of very closed minded people. The OP pointed out a very big flaw in a part of the Apple ecosystem and everyone rushes to the defence of a trillion dollar corporation.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Great post, unfortunately Macrumors is not a free thinking forum, lots of very closed minded people. The OP pointed out a very big flaw in a part of the Apple ecosystem and everyone rushes to the defence of a trillion dollar corporation.
Yeah, that’s what’s going on here. Nothing like due diligence when dropping $4000 on equipment at all, right?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. Just to comment my point of view.

Why I left the iPhone?
I bought the latest macbook pro 2019. I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good but one thing.

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me is grotesque.

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And this phone cable can connect natively to the macbook. I am looking into a one plus 7 pro, it looks great.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Also, maybe I was impulsive I know, but it was like I made a switch when this happened. It might sound stupid, but well, I wanted to share this thought (even though it wasn’t the best maybe). And also the slow charging power brick... another thing I really hated ha.

Thanks for reading

You’re welcome.

I nor would any of my friends call me an “Apple snob” as I frequently criticize the company when a I feel it is warranted (i.e. removing the SuperDrive from the 27” iMac when 1) There was no benefit for it to be thinner at the cost of functionality, and 2) Taking away features are not great selling points of a new product design). However, I must respectfully ask, did you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of saving the money to purchase an adapter and being able to connect “directly” to that all important USB port without an adapter, against purchasing a Smartphone, which arguably contains much more personal and sensitive information on it than a laptop or desktop, for an ADVERTISING COMPANY?? One that tracks you around the web like an assassin? That claims their Street View vehicles were collecting WiFi access point SSIDs, MAC addresses, correlated with GPS data was purely accidental and was a “bug in their software?” They lost my trust years ago, and although I know doing anything on the global TCP/IP network gives up some privacy, I will gladly pay more for a product that at least values it to a degree, compared to one of the most deceptive and monopolistic technology companies that exist today. I do admit, I use a Gmail - it is a perfect junk mail repository, but use DuckDuckGo for search, and my own on-premise Exchange Server for enterprise messaging, and Safari or Firefox as my browser.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, that’s what’s going on here. Nothing like due diligence when dropping $4000 on equipment at all, right?
The OP admitted the purchase was a mistake but it still does not excuse the fact that an iPhone and Macbook can't be connected without an adapter. It's a joke but Apple can get away with such things due to the very mentality being displayed in this thread.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Big flaw? Please. There is no big flaw. Technology is changing. USB-A is used in millions of places to charge. Hence it makes sense to have a compatible cable in the box for that.

Computers however transition to the smaller USB-C for a while, so in the much less likely case that a direct connection is still required which isn’t the case for most users apparently a second cable is needed.

If you only service one group, the other one will complain. If you put two cables in the box or add an adapter you’re also adding tons of waste for the millions that already have said equipment.

Maybe Apple should just stop including any cables and offer a free cable of choice with each new purchase or something along these lines.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
it still does not excuse the fact that an iPhone and Macbook can't be connected without an adapter.

But at the same time... there are only 100 million Macs on Earth. And I'd guess many (most?) are 2015 and earlier Macs without USB-C ports.

Meanwhile USB-A ports are found in all sorts of places... beyond just computers. So it makes sense for Apple to use USB-A for the foreseeable future.

As ericwn said above... put a USB-C cable in the box and the USB-A people will complain.

Put a USB-A cable in the box and the USB-C people will complain.

Put both in the box and people will complain about e-waste.

Apple can't win. :p

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

Really isn’t that big of a flaw, though. I, like millions, bought my laptop and phone and they work together just fine without a cable. Now I do have a cheap adapter that I’ve used twice in the 2 years I’ve had my MBP w/usb-c, and that’s to ONLY do an archive of my iOS device so I can run the betas. Otherwise, airdrop and iCloud suit all the needs. The issue is an easy one to fix for those that need to plug their phone in, but out of the people I’ve run into, it’s never been an “issue” or contention point in the slightest. I work with iPhone / Mac users day in and day out and honestly this is the first “complaint” I’ve heard of it.

Reactions: millerj123

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The OP admitted the purchase was a mistake but it still does not excuse the fact that an iPhone and Macbook can't be connected without an adapter. It's a joke but Apple can get away with such things due to the very mentality being displayed in this thread.
It’s fairly straightforward, if this is a sticking point then don’t buy the equipment. Otherwise it is what it is. The mentality displayed in this thread shows that rational thinking prevails and for listen people it’s a non-issue. If you feel like finding something to criticize Apple about then go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.