Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Maybe this would be a smarter thing to do. Thanks for the feedback. I like Apple products, but this time I got frustrated
Then buy the $10 cable to fix your issue, and pick up an iPhone 8 instead - claiming you won’t return the MacBook Pro (which is the actual cause of the problem), because you “like it”, has lost you all credibility.

Why did you feel the need to create a brand new account on here (and announce it as such), instead of using your 8 year old account, if you had no intention of trolling?

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
This whole thread is just ridiculous and one of the most like arbitrary reasons to give up Apple products. Like I get it, it's the principal of the matter that is upsetting them and not so much just that it doesn't have an adapter...but that is totally ignoring that Apple seems to be going away from physical connections on their phones anyways. I'll just add my voice to the others and agree that I never plug any of my phones in to any of my PCs anymore and just do everything wirelessly at this point. Hell the only time I plug them in is in my car because it doesn't support wireless Carplay/Android Auto.

Seriously there are plenty of reasons to get upset with Apple over their design choices, but not including an adapter for what is basically an archaic method of connecting your phone to your PC is just too much.

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
There are no perfect companies. There are going to be things you like and dislike. Hope you enjoy that Android phone, though.

Good luck! (BTW make sure you put LineageOS or something else on that phone or you'll be tracked by Google everywhere you go).

Reactions: decafjava

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
But at the same time... there are only 100 million Macs on Earth. And I'd guess many (most?) are 2015 and earlier Macs without USB-C ports.

Meanwhile USB-A ports are found in all sorts of places... beyond just computers. So it makes sense for Apple to use USB-A for the foreseeable future.

As ericwn said above... put a USB-C cable in the box and the USB-A people will complain.

Put a USB-A cable in the box and the USB-C people will complain.

Put both in the box and people will complain about e-waste.

Apple can't win. :p
You have both completly missed the point, the iPhone should have usb-c, you know like every other phone on the market, instead Apple uses the proprietary lightning port which is inferior in every aspect and means you can't connect it directly to a 2019 macbook.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Yeah, that’s what’s going on here. Nothing like due diligence when dropping $4000 on equipment at all, right?
Let’s say you don’t follow technology at all but want to buy a MacBook Pro and an iPhone so you go to the nearest Apple store.

Are you supposed to know that the cable included with the iPhone won’t connect to the new Mac without purchasing an additional cable? I wouldn’t even think to ask that question either. And I wouldn’t even think to do research on this specific question as you’d assume everything would work together right out of the box.

That said a more reasonable person would just go to the Apple store, and either ask Apple to throw in the cable for free or just buy it.

Reactions: torana355

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Let’s say you don’t follow technology at all but want to buy a MacBook Pro and an iPhone so you go to the nearest Apple store.

Are you supposed to know that the cable included with the iPhone won’t connect to the new Mac without purchasing an additional cable? I wouldn’t even think to ask that question either. And I wouldn’t even think to do research on this specific question as you’d assume everything would work together right out of the box.

That said a more reasonable person would just go to the Apple store, and either ask Apple to throw in the cable for free or just buy it.
Why would I assume an accessory or device external to the new Mac would or would not have a specific connection or no. Maybe I’ve been conditioned by windows to ask such questions....because I plan these things out in advance.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008

Or like with a printer and have to buy a cable. The stupid is getting too thick here for me now.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Why would I assume an accessory or device external to the new Mac would or would not have a specific connection or no. Maybe I’ve been conditioned by windows to ask such questions....because I plan these things out in advance.
This is reasonable.

Or like with a printer and have to buy a cable. The stupid is getting too thick here for me now.
My apologies if you feel that my post is stupid. I was trying to show how it could be frustrating for somebody who doesn’t know anything about technology.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Can we now at least stop spreading the lie about the apple ecosystem and their devices seemlessly working together.
Assuming you still remotely care a tiny bit of this thread (which i doubt), you certainly don’t use Apple device deep enough to understand this. Yes, even Apple device won’t just work anymore, but they are still the better one out In the market. Good luck connecting android devices from different manufactures and expect both will work nicely together, because yeah, Android right?
Even better, I can turn on grandma's 1990 Gateway running Windows 3.1 and still get access to the document, photo, almost everything
Wonder how you do that lol.
But you are losing so much of the awesome. You'll look old school, breaking out your backpack to pull out a cable to physically connect your laptop to your Android at Starbucks. All the kids will be impressed. (last was added for the come at me recommendation, I'm happy if you are happy.)
Who needs awesomeness in 2019? Awesomeness is so 2000. Time to move forward to full utilitarianism. Features and experience matters. Who cares what other people think nowadays? :D:p

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This reminds me of a thread on the Comcast forums years ago from this guy who wanted to change his public IP address. He claimed to have spent hours on the phone with Comcast trying to change his IP. He went out of his way to say that he refuses to change the MAC address of his router to get a new IP, which is the simple and obvious solution to his problem.

He stood so hard on principle and claims to have spent so many hours complaining about something he could have fixed himself so easily. He would become offended when responders to his post would suggest changing the MAC address and that it was easy and doesn't have any downsides.

Some people will inconvenience themselves to hell and back over the most ridiculous things. The solution might be easy and right in front of them but they won't take it on principle.

I understand doing things on principle, but when you choose a hill to die on, it should at least be for a worthy cause.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The OP admitted the purchase was a mistake but it still does not excuse the fact that an iPhone and Macbook can't be connected without an adapter. It's a joke but Apple can get away with such things due to the very mentality being displayed in this thread.
Oh guess what? My iPhone can natively connect to my MacBook Air 11” 2014 without an adapter. Isn’t that beautiful to me? By contrast, I NEED to buy a separate USB-A to USB-C cable to connect my iPad Pro 11” 2018 to the same MacBook. I can call this a major design flaw based on your logic right?

And, feel free to roast me not using latest MacBook Air or MacBook Pro if you want. I have needs that any new MacBook cannot meet - able to run high Sierra.
The real question here is why did you need to attach the phone to the laptop? Everything can be done without buying an adapter.
Setup? Oh ok ignore this one. Restore a bricked device? iTunes sync? Oh Apple Music. Transferring data from or to an app? Oh wifi transfer. Recharge? Oh charger does the job. Wait, why am I Still connecting my device to computer? Oh, I recharge using computer and sync music using iTunes.
[doublepost=1564011926][/doublepost]
This reminds me of a thread on the Comcast forums years ago from this guy who wanted to change his public IP address. He claimed to have spent hours on the phone with Comcast trying to change his IP. He went out of his way to say that he refuses to change the MAC address of his router to get a new IP, which is the simple and obvious solution to his problem.

He stood so hard on principle and claims to have spent so many hours complaining about something he could have fixed himself so easily. He would become offended when responders to his post would suggest changing the MAC address and that it was easy and doesn't have any downsides.

Some people will inconvenience themselves to hell and back over the most ridiculous things. The solution might be easy and right in front of them but they won't take it on principle.

I understand doing things on principle, but when you choose a hill to die on, it should at least be for a worthy cause.
Well said.

Worth a double thumb up. :cool:
[doublepost=1564012376][/doublepost]
You have both completly missed the point, the iPhone should have usb-c, you know like every other phone on the market, instead Apple uses the proprietary lightning port which is inferior in every aspect and means you can't connect it directly to a 2019 macbook.
Yes, it’s 2019 and iPhone should have USB-C port by now. This years iPhone would not, but hopefully next years iPhone would.
As for 2019 MacBook Pro, Apple and the entire tech world is moving ahead of time. Outside tech world, who cares? Serial ports, VGA, USB 2.0 ports are still around. Also, given the unstable nature of wireless connection, good luck trying to use a port less iPhone in 2025.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

If I'm buying something (or multiple items) of that magnitude in terms of price, I'm probably doing at least a bit of research on how they work together. I'm not just slapping down $3000-4000 for a phone and a laptop and not knowing that I may need a couple dollar adapter to make them connect via wire if needed.

I'm in the market for a new car that has Apple Car play... I'm not just going to show up to the lot, point at a car and say "let's do it", I'm doing a bit of research before I purchase. The important things to me (in this example, CarPlay) will be on my list of questions to ask. If I get the car and it doesn't have Car Play, that's on me, not the manufacturer.

Same with this guy. If he knew he was getting two Apple products for several thousands of dollars that he wants to connect together, why wouldn't he make sure he knew what it took to connect them, or what they could or could not do via wired vs wireless connections before he purchased? His resolution was to return the phone and to purchase an Android phone with the same physical connectivity limitation (aka needing to purchase a separate cable/adapter), and worlds less wireless connectivity options is outlandish.

Reactions: chabig

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
The obsession with wanting USB-C ports on iPhone is shortsighted and myopic. There are good reasons why Lightning is here to stay and why, for iPhone at least, it is a better choice.

The only reason it was included in new iPad Pro was to support a relatively unnecessary feature - the ability to drive multiple video displays. This is a ‘show off’ feature, and one that won’t be used by any significant portion of Pro users.

Splitting the connector to include USB-C is one of a plethora of mistakes Apple has made over the past few years - mistakes that, hopefully, have walked out the door.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
This is reasonable.

My apologies if you feel that my post is stupid. I was trying to show how it could be frustrating for somebody who doesn’t know anything about technology.
My apologies if you take it that way. OP is an 8 year veteran, did no due diligence and paid $4000 to go wiggy about an adapter. But, this is clearly Apple providing a bad user experience?!???@&@@“.

I give up : APPLE IS BADMEANNASTY!!!!!!!!

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The obsession with wanting USB-C ports on iPhone is shortsighted and myopic. There are good reasons why Lightning is here to stay and why, for iPhone at least, it is a better choice.

The only reason it was included in new iPad Pro was to support a relatively unnecessary feature - the ability to drive multiple video displays. This is a ‘show off’ feature, and one that won’t be used by any significant portion of Pro users.

Splitting the connector to include USB-C is one of a plethora of mistakes Apple has made over the past few years - mistakes that, hopefully, have walked out the door.
Please tell me the "good" reasons why Lightning is here to stay? With USB-C being superior in literally EVERY way your statement seems dubious at best.

Strider64

macrumors 65832
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
The OP reminds of a retired person down in Florida that I met while visiting my parents. His printer ran out of ink, but instead of buying refill ink for the printer he just bought a new printer. I said "It would be cheaper to just to buy the refill ink and you would probably get more ink in the refilled cartridge". His response made me laugh "I know, but I just didn't like the noise of the printer". In my opinion it wasn't that noisy.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The OP reminds of a retired person down in Florida that I met while visiting my parents. His printer ran out of ink, but instead of buying refill ink for the printer he just bought a new printer. I said "It would be cheaper to just to buy the refill ink and you would probably get more ink in the refilled cartridge". His response made me laugh "I know, but I just didn't like the noise of the printer". In my opinion it wasn't that noisy.

That's the world we live in. Troubleshooting, researching, self help... you name it, it's not something decent contingent of consumers do any more. I've been guilty of seeking people out for help or to do certain things, but I'd like to think they weren't as silly as an iPhone adapter or printer ink refills and just replacing entire items.

I bought my first motorcycle back in '17, wanted to change the pipes and air intake. Google and YouTube helped me change them on my own. Tires though, I definitely sought out a shop. What I didn't do, however, is sell the entire bike for a different one when I found out no shops in my area would put on the 240 tire when my bike specs for a 210.

Last edited:
Reactions: millerj123

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Please tell me the "good" reasons why Lightning is here to stay? With USB-C being superior in literally EVERY way your statement seems dubious at best.
There's a theoretical superiority and and a practical superiority. I don't see the practical superiority. A more fragile connector that can only be inserted one way. If I needed to use it, I'd buy a dongle.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
USB-C can be inserted both ways.....And it's a more durable connector.

It's definitely reversible... not entirely sure about the matched durability to lightning, however. I've seen a few broken USB-C connectors. That chip on the inside is more durable than Micro-USB for sure, however not having one (A-la Lightning Connector) would be preferable.

That being said, the amount broken USB-C connectors are not anywhere to the tune of what I've seen with Micro-USB and would argue that the amount of breaks is negligible given the amount of C connectors there are in use in the tech industry.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.