Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My logic is sound. There is no reason for Apple to still be using lightning ports in 2019. USC-C is superior is every way, but sure keep rolling your eyes if that helps :)

Bolded: I’m not sure about that. I think lightning is still very much relevant, it’s a huge part of Apples product lineup still with the AirPods, obviously the iPhone, iPod touch, etc. Obviously they’ll make a transition at some point to another cable, but the lightning port/accessories is a very large monopoly for Apple and through third-party manufacturers as well.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
All the USB-C ports I have used on Laptops and phones are always really loose, Lightning fits so much better.

Just my 2p's worth.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
From a 'standards' point of view I'd have to agree with you.

With that said, I've used 2 or 3 mobile devices with USB-C ports. One of them had issues charging; and all of them had loose ports. Meanwhile I've never had ANY issue with ANY iDevice using a Lightning port. For me, reliability trumps standards every time, and from that aspect I actually prefer the Lightning port.

Reactions: ZeitGeist

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My logic is sound. There is no reason for Apple to still be using lightning ports in 2019. USC-C is superior is every way, but sure keep rolling your eyes if that helps :)
I think the issue is a bit more nuanced than that.

Apple moved to lightning in 2012, a full 3 years before the rest of the industry would migrate to USB-C. While this meant that iOS users got to benefit from a sleek, reversible port much earlier, it also means that Apple effectively locked itself into lightning and it is still too soon to change charging ports once again, especially when there are still a few apple products which still use lightning (apple wireless keyboard, mouse, AirPods, tv remote, 1st-gen Apple Pencil).

In addition, while USB-C is better than lightning, one can question if it is indeed better on smartphones in a way that matters to the end user. I think the most immediate benefit is that I can use the same cable to charge my smartphone, tablet and laptop, but other than that, lightning is already reversible, and faster transfer speeds seem superfluous at a time when everything is done wirelessly.

I suppose you could argue that this is a bandaid that Apple ought to rip off sooner than later, but I also wonder if Apple would sooner remove their charging port altogether than move to USB-C.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
USB-C can be inserted both ways.....And it's a more durable connector.

Lightning can be inserted both ways as well, so not sure why you claim that’s a USB-C advantage. As for durability, the lightning connector is a more durable connector - just by looking at it, this seems obvious (can’t say the same for Apple’s rubberized cables, as that design has always been crap - and that would be the same with an Apple USB-C cable.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I haven't had any need to plug my XS into anything since I've had it but if I did I'd be irritated by the fact that it's using lightning while my iPad and MBP use USB-C.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Finally, Lightning is a smaller, more durable connector, which imo makes it a better choice for iPhones. It also has the ability to support USB 3 speeds, though Apple has never taken advantage of that. Maybe they will, now, but since there is a push towards wireless, they might not want to invest in that. (shrugs)

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Yeah OP should've done his research before buying the phone and laptop.

The fact remains that needing to buy an extra cable or a dongle to plug an iPhone into a modern Mac laptop is the pinnacle of Apples pathetic nickel and diming of its customer and odd product decisions.
[doublepost=1564133959][/doublepost]
Finally, Lightning is a smaller, more durable connector, which imo makes it a better choice for iPhones. It also has the ability to support USB 3 speeds, though Apple has never taken advantage of that. Maybe they will, now, but since there is a push towards wireless, they might not want to invest in that. (shrugs)

There is nothing durable whatsoever about Apples lightning cables.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

The fact remains that needing to buy an extra cable or a dongle to plug an iPhone into a modern Mac laptop is the pinnacle of Apples pathetic nickel and diming of its customer and odd product decisions.
[doublepost=1564133959][/doublepost]

The iPhone and Mac are designed with software with wireless in mind these days. It wasn’t until the advent of iCloud and Airdrop and numerous other cloud based items were mature enough that Apple did away with USB-A ports on their laptops. My solution was $4. If someone cannot cover $4 on something they were already spending $2000+ on (phone and laptop), then maybe one should rethink their product purchases. People spend ungodly amounts of $ on **** coffee from Starbucks every day, a lot of times $3-4 for a 16 oz beverage that lasts an hour but freak out over a $4 adapter that will last years.

Let’s get over ourselves and realize Apple’s adapter issue is far from the worst when it comes to the need of buying an extra component for an action that is so rare. Most of Apple consumers that have an iPhone and Mac haven’t plugged their phone in to their laptop in many years.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
The iPhone and Mac are designed with software with wireless in mind these days. It wasn’t until the advent of iCloud and Airdrop and numerous other cloud based items were mature enough that Apple did away with USB-A ports on their laptops. My solution was $4. If someone cannot cover $4 on something they were already spending $2000+ on (phone and laptop), then maybe one should rethink their product purchases. People spend ungodly amounts of $ on **** coffee from Starbucks every day, a lot of times $3-4 for a 16 oz beverage that lasts an hour but freak out over a $4 adapter that will last years.

Let’s get over ourselves and realize Apple’s adapter issue is far from the worst when it comes to the need of buying an extra component for an action that is so rare. Most of Apple consumers that have an iPhone and Mac haven’t plugged their phone in to their laptop in many years.

Thats why my wife and I bought an espresso machine with a built-in milk frother. We make espresso based drinks every morning. MONEY SAVED.

Reactions: Oridus

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Thats why my wife and I bought an espresso machine with a built-in milk frother. We make espresso based drinks every morning. MONEY SAVED.

And look, that espresso machine probably allowed you buy the $4 adapter. Problem solving at it’s best! And probably tastes amazing as well.

Reactions: ARK

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
And look, that espresso machine probably allowed you buy the $4 adapter. Problem solving at it’s best! And probably tastes amazing as well.

Yep and tastes better than Starbucks! I figure we've made at least $4,000 worth of espresso in one years time. Money saved for a new MacBook Pro and dongles! :D

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

You forgot to mention the 5w chargers.
Disagree. Lightning cables are very durable. I still have the original cable from my iPad 2.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
^ What I7guy said. Yeah, sure, I realize that there are people that have iCables that fray at the ends and break down early.

I've owned many charging cables over the years, and not a one of them has ever frayed, broken, etc. I've still actually got the original iPhone 5 Lightning cable; works fine.

Reactions: bbednarz and I7guy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You Should probably interject in your post, ‘this is my personal anecdote’, because it’s not correct. I have lightning cables that are over five years old they are perfectly in good working condition without any type of damage. It’s all about sometimes how you manage your property, for some, they don’t understand that concept.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
^ What I7guy said. Yeah, sure, I realize that there are people that have iCables that fray at the ends and break down early.

I've owned many charging cables over the years, and not a one of them has ever frayed, broken, etc. I've still actually got the original iPhone 5 Lightning cable; works fine.

Likewise. The cables I’ve had the most trouble with are those micro-USB cables. They actually wear out. I use a mophie battery case and those require the micro-USB and so does my Anker battery pack. They would just stop working. I would replace the cable and everything was good. Never had that with any of my Apple cables.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I get the sentiment, IMO under SJ it was build it and they will come, under TC it is they are already here let's bleed them dry.

£3000 MacBook Pro is next when the 16" arrives it seems.

Reactions: Jimmy James

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I have a surplus of lightning cables now. I’m still using ones from my old iPhone 6 Plus. I don’t even take them out of the box when I get a new Apple product because the old ones still work.

Reactions: rugmankc and I7guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have a surplus of lightning cables now. I’m still using ones from my old iPhone 6 Plus. I don’t even take them out of the box when I get a new Apple product because the old ones still work.

Same here. My 5w chargers are also untouched in the original packaging since I am using usb hubs around the house. Not to mention that everything from the Airpods to the Apple TV to the iMac gives you a lightning cable as well.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
On my MacBook Pro the port I connect the charger to the most has started to feel loose. I wonder why USBC ports start to feel loose after a while?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I still have the same cable I had with my iPhone 6 although I’ve never had to plug my 8+ in as it wireless charges and I use iCloud back up. I found a box for my old 6S the other day and it had the plug and cable unopened inside which I’d forgotten about lol.

It’s earphones I tend to break every couple of months not lightning cables. This is one of the reasons I wouldn’t buy Bluetooth earphones as I know I’d lose them or stand on them lol.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. Just to comment my point of view.

Why I left the iPhone?
I bought the latest macbook pro 2019. I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good but one thing.

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me is grotesque.

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And this phone cable can connect natively to the macbook. I am looking into a one plus 7 pro, it looks great.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Also, maybe I was impulsive I know, but it was like I made a switch when this happened. It might sound stupid, but well, I wanted to share this thought (even though it wasn’t the best maybe). And also the slow charging power brick... another thing I really hated ha.

Thanks for reading

Buying the cable would have been easier than writing this post, and much easier than stressing over it.

Reactions: millerj123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.