Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
All you had to have done was to buy a lightning-to-USB-C cable.....it's that simple.
Which he could have used to charge the phone via the MacBook charger so he would have benefited twice. He also could have used airdrop but that’s to simple I guess.
[doublepost=1563654510][/doublepost]
It was an obvious thing that a lot of you would not get the concept of the problem. Of course I could have bought the cable, but that is not the issue I was trying to explain. I am glad I am not so blind and fanboy as you. I hope you find a better life being this negative ;)
You call HIM negative? Oh boy. You could have used airdrop or iCloud or iTunes to access the phone. No cable required. You could have bought the cable and used it with the MacBooks charger to charge it even faster. If you that bad-ass you could have bought a non apple cable for that “fu apple”.
[doublepost=1563654755][/doublepost]
He sold his

he sold the $1300 phone and put $1150 back in his pocket after getting the android.
You think he got 1300$ For a used phone? Maybe he was lucky to get 1200. He lost money in the process — far more than a cable would have cost him.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Yes I did. I know my judgement is not as good as yours. Being objective is a hard thing to learn I see.
Could've probably just done this...
customer: "Hey I am buying both the $3000 computer and a $1300 phone. Would you guys be willing to toss in the $19 cord so I can connect them?"
apple: "yeah sure, no problem."

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.
What cheap Android phone the comes with USB-C to USB-C cable? The only one I know is the Pixel 3a, and that’s not cheap. Majority of Android still comes with USB-C to USB-A cable, even the OnePlus 7 Pro.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Actually, most people at the time they are purchasing a new MBP with its USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, also take into consideration what they will need to plug into the machine and if they have peripherals and other devices which will require either a different cable or an adapter, they buy those right away, too. Common sense, really.....
You know what they say….. "Common sense is actually not very common."

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Come at me!

Thanks for reading
I mean, Apple has a great deal of ways to move data between your devices (first and third party), so it's fair to call this a bit of an overreaction.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It was an obvious thing that a lot of you would not get the concept of the problem. Of course I could have bought the cable, but that is not the issue I was trying to explain. I am glad I am not so blind and fanboy as you. I hope you find a better life being this negative ;)
Why create a new account to post this? My guess is you’re making it up.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
customer: "Hey I am buying both the $3000 computer and a $1300 phone. Would you guys be willing to toss in the $19 cord so I can connect them?"
apple: "yeah sure, no problem."

They’re not out where they have to give things for free because you spent a certain dollar amount in their store. Just because somebody buys one or two items and then the customer requests it, certainly doesn’t mean Apple has to acknowledge by giving a free cable/item of some sort. If they do it, it’s an exception, not the rule. In the end scheme of things, they do want customer loyalty, but it’s retained with the standard that they have excellent products through hardware quality and software support with longevity/security.

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I get the problem but connecting android to macOS sucks, file transfer is garbage. I wish iPhone could sync photos wirelessly, that would end my dependance on a cable to a Mac.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
What cheap Android phone the comes with USB-C to USB-C cable? The only one I know is the Pixel 3a, and that’s not cheap. Majority of Android still comes with USB-C to USB-A cable, even the OnePlus 7 Pro.

My Huawei P20 did. Well, it not a cheap phone per say, I spend about 500USD for that (about 3500 while I was in China. I got throwing a free case, free wireless headphone, one Huawei labeled thermos cup and one small Huawei Bag with it).

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
My Huawei P20 did. Well, it not a cheap phone per say, I spend about 500USD for that (about 3500 while I was in China. I got throwing a free case, free wireless headphone, one Huawei labeled thermos cup and one small Huawei Bag with it).
Hmm, I have the P30, and it comes with a regular usb-c to usb-a cable, not usb-c to usb-c. Unboxing videos of the P20 on YouTube also shows regular usb-c to usb-a cable. So I’m guessing China only? Still, it challenges the OP’s claim.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Hmm, I have the P30, and it comes with a regular usb-c to usb-a cable, not usb-c to usb-c. Unboxing videos of the P20 on YouTube also shows regular usb-c to usb-a cable. So I’m guessing China only? Still, it challenges the OP’s claim.

Sorry, I went back and checked. It was USB-C to USB-A. Looks like I was wrong.

Sorry about that

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
They’re not out where they have to give things for free because you spent a certain dollar amount in their store. Just because somebody buys one or two items and then the customer requests it, certainly doesn’t mean Apple has to acknowledge by giving a free cable/item of some sort. If they do it, it’s an exception, not the rule. In the end scheme of things, they do want customer loyalty, but it’s retained with the standard that they have excellent products through hardware quality and software support with longevity/security.
I think damn near every company that sees a customer spending roughly $5k will toss in a charging cord so they can connect the two items together. Sure its not mandatory, but I cannot imagine a company turning this down. The cord likely costs them in the $2-3 territory. You leave a good taste in someones mouth as they leave the store dropping significant cash. It's a no brainer.
[doublepost=1563724146][/doublepost]
Where the hell do you live that Apple gives away stuff if you buy other stuff?!
Do you really think they would not do this? Guy spends roughly $5k on a computer and phone and you won't toss in a free charging cable that likely costs them in the range of $2-3 to produce? This is just good business. The customer will leave having spent about $5k and they will feel good about it because they were able to get an extra product for free.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I agree that the connectivity issue is beyond absurd. And greedy.

However, you left the relative security and privacy of iOS over the absurdity of needing to buy a separate cable or adapter. Making a point of it because of that is even more absurd. And yes, I understand the issue you’re conveying.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I think damn near every company that sees a customer spending roughly $5k will toss in a charging cord so they can connect the two items together. Sure its not mandatory, but I cannot imagine a company turning this down. The cord likely costs them in the $2-3 territory. You leave a good taste in someones mouth as they leave the store dropping significant cash. It's a no brainer.
[doublepost=1563724146][/doublepost]
Do you really think they would not do this? Guy spends roughly $5k on a computer and phone and you won't toss in a free charging cable that likely costs them in the range of $2-3 to produce? This is just good business. The customer will leave having spent about $5k and they will feel good about it because they were able to get an extra product for free.
Apple US must have generous staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.