Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Apple computers have had USB 3.0 since mid-2012. That is 10 years ago. Despite that, Tim Cook, being the mediocre beancounter MBA suit that he is, has still not done anything to upgrade the connectivity on the latest iPhones. The latest iPhones use the same USB 2.0 connectivity that shipped with the very first iPhone in 2007. Both the Apple 30-pin cable and the Lightning cable use USB 2.0 speeds. This is frustrating for those of us who transfer data from our Macs (or PCs) to our iPhones. It takes unnecessarily long periods of time.

Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs shipping an iPhone in 2012 with USB 2.0 connectivity knowing that Macs shipped earlier that year with USB 3.0, let alone every single year after that for 10 more years?

Unlike Jobs, Cook has no shame for shipping crap as long as it makes a lot of money. That's because Cook cares much more about shareholders than he does about users.

Last edited:

cloudphrenia

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2020
At this point, I would like an iPhone with a USB4 port. I think they should take it a step further and add some external display options in the settings for better monitor support.

With that being said, I remember buying an iPad Pro a many years ago, and it had a USB3.0 Lightning port...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs...
Why yes I can... Why do people seem to think they know what Jobs would do? Why is it always he would do exactly what they think should and want to be done?

Everyone wants to criticize Apple and blame Cook for everything they don't like. Cook was hand picked by Jobs and has turned Apple into a multi-trillion dollar company. That means people want and buy Apple products. Just because a design decision doesn't work well with your workflow doesn't mean it's not effective for 99% of the people who use the product and ultimately the right decision.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Your hatred is misguided
I don’t hate Tim Cook. I don’t hate anyone.

I think Cook did a great job with supply chain management. I just think he’s doing an awful job as CEO if one values the innovation and user-centric products that came about prior to him at the helm. (From shareholders’ perspective, he is probably the greatest CEO of all time.)

It’s shameful to sell USB 2.0 in 2022 on any product, let alone a flagship product costing up to $1,599.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
This is frustrating for those of us who transfer data from our Macs (or PCs) to our iPhones. It takes unnecessarily long periods of time.

I get where you’re coming from and I’m a bit miffed that my iPhone is now the only lightning device I have. I’d rather just have one USB-C charger lying around.

But for file transfer? Whenever I want to transfer things these days I either put them in the cloud or just Airdrop them to myself.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
But for file transfer? Whenever I want to transfer things these days I either put them in the cloud or just Airdrop them to myself.
I do that, too, for small files. But there are many users out there who have to transfer both large files and large quantities of large files. For those users, a wired connection would be far more efficient if it was faster than USB 2.0.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple computers have had USB 3.0 since mid-2012. That is 10 years ago. Despite that, Tim Cook, being the mediocre beancounter MBA suit that he is, has still not done anything to upgrade the connectivity on the latest iPhones. The latest iPhones use the same USB 2.0 connectivity that shipped with the very first iPhone in 2007. Both the Apple 30-pin cable and the Lightning cable use USB 2.0 speeds. This is frustrating for those of us who transfer data from our Macs (or PCs) to our iPhones. It takes unnecessarily long periods of time.

Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs shipping an iPhone in 2012 with USB 2.0 connectivity knowing that Macs shipped earlier that year with USB 3.0, let alone every single year after that for 10 more years?

Unlike Jobs, Cook has no shame for shipping crap as long as it makes a lot of money. That's because Cook cares much more about shareholders than he does about users.
The sales numbers seem to indicate the it’s not something most iPhone users care about.

The main reason of sticking with lightning is simply MfI. iPhone is Apple’s main cash cow, so revenue from MfI is probably quite significant.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I do that, too, for small files. But there are many users out there who have to transfer both large files and large quantities of large files. For those users, a wired connection would be far more efficient if it was faster than USB 2.0.
It’s not any better on Android. Practically only Samsung Galaxy S flagship and Google Pixel use USB3. The rest, even the newest Xiaomi flagship the Xiaomi 12 is USB2. All mid range and lower are 100% USB2.

To give Apple credit, at least there’s Airdrop that works well with Macs.

If USB3 connectivity is a must for you, better do a switch as I don’t expect Apple to do anything different anytime soon. I’m guessing Apple will forego the charging/data port altogether. With things like airdrop, ultrawideband, wifi6, MagSafe, etc, seems like Apple is building up a wireless alternative.

Reactions: russell_314

Cram

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
I have to use one every day for CarPlay, despite my car being a 2019 model year. Given that wireless CarPlay has been around since iOS 9 (2015), it pisses me off that Hyundai still had wired as an option in 2019.
Yes, I have a 2019 Ioniq. It seems such a waste of the wireless charging pad. If you need to charge your phone, you're still better off plugging it in as you need to to use car play anyway. Due to change my car this year and, as far as I can tell, the current models do support wireless car play.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I will only upgrade to next iPhone when it has USB3 or faster transfer speeds. Wifi sucks donkey balls and you get 1/4th of therotical speeds.
Either you’ll wait forever, or you can just switch now to Galaxy S or Google Pixel and enjoy USB3 transfer speed. THe only next thing Apple would do is going portless. Apple cares more about the money they make through MfI than a single consumer.

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
I have to use one every day for CarPlay, despite my car being a 2019 model year. Given that wireless CarPlay has been around since iOS 9 (2015), it pisses me off that Hyundai still had wired as an option in 2019.

I have the same in my 21 Silverado. But I solved the issue with a CarInPlay dongle that works great

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Perhaps Apple intends to keep speeds slow so that when the portless iPhone releases it will be an improvement.

Reactions: ThomasJL

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I would be delighted if iPhones switched to USB-C, though more for convenience than speed - it's been years since a connected my phone to my computer with a cable.

However, I feel like we could do without the silly, clickbait-y framing ("Cook is mediocre/has no shame/Jobs would never have allowed this" etc). It's so reductive to talk about the minutiae of every product produced by a company with 150,000 employees through the prism a single personality. Tech execs aren't Marvel superheroes or auteur film directors. Often design is mundane and pragmatic, even when big, fascinating personalities are in charge.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Perhaps Apple intends to keep speeds slow so that when the portless iPhone releases it will be an improvement.
I doubt that's the direct intent. The main motivation is revenue from MfI. I'm guessing we will see a sort-of replacement via the various wireless stuff Apple has been putting in iphones (wifi6, UWB, etc). AirDrop Ultra perhaps? :D

Besides, the USB2 speed doesn't seem to have a significant effect on iphone sales, so Apple probably saw it as low priority.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Cook isnt some random Tom, Dick and Harry you know... and honestly the only time i use a cable on my 12 Pro Max is when im charging it...

Reactions: Barbareren

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Either you’ll wait forever, or you can just switch now to Galaxy S or Google Pixel and enjoy USB3 transfer speed. THe only next thing Apple would do is going portless. Apple cares more about the money they make through MfI than a single consumer.
Plan to go Android once my iPhone 12 goes bust. Hope Apple surprises me with iPhone 14 or 15 with faster ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.