Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Unlike Jobs, Cook has no shame for shipping crap as long as it makes a lot of money. That's because Cook cares much more about shareholders than he does about users.
How some seem to think Steve Jobs could do no wrong. Under Steve Jobs, the iPhone 4 had antenna issues. His solution was to tell everyone they are holding it wrong and hand out TPU frames. Under Steve Jobs, MobileMe was a complete disaster.

So you think the Apple M series processors are crap. You think the M1 computers is crap. These are a couple of examples under Tim Cook.

It appears you have a narrow vision of what products ship under Tim Cook. I canā€™t remember the last time I needed to transfer large files from any of the iPhones I have ever owned. Do you need USB-C on your iPhone or are you here just to complain about a first world problem for a majority of iPhone users.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
At this point, I would like an iPhone with a USB4 port. I think they should take it a step further and add some external display options in the settings for better monitor support.

With that being said, I remember buying an iPad Pro a many years ago, and it had a USB3.0 Lightning port...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I wish just Apple would deliver USB.C iPhones in the future. However I strongly believe portless iPhone is the ultimate future and thatā€™s the end goal.
Apple will have to come up with a way to allow a portless iPhone to be used in cars that only supported wired CarPlay,

And before anyone mentions the wireless adapters that are offered to convert wired CarPlay to use a wireless connection, those are expense and I have seen people report Bluetooth sync issues.

I think Apple will introduce a iPhone that has a smart connector that can be use in situation like needing wired CarPlay. This would also allow Apple to continue with its MiFi cable program. It could also be used in conjunction with MagSafe as a way of attaching the smart connector cable.

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Your hatred is misguided
I said in my earlier reply to that comment that I donā€™t hate Tim Cook and I donā€™t hate anyone. Iā€™d like to add that I like Tim Cookā€™s charity work, including the charity work heā€™s done at Apple. Itā€™s admirable and commendable.

I donā€™t dislike Cook as a person. I dislike him as a CEO. Thatā€™s because heā€™s not a products person. Heā€™s not interested in making the best/most efficient tools for users. Heā€™s more interested in maximizing profits to please shareholders, and he does that in large part by cutting corners on products. The likely USB 2.0 lightning port on the upcoming iPhone 14 is case in point.

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
The sales numbers seem to indicate the itā€™s not something most iPhone users care about.

The main reason of sticking with lightning is simply MfI. iPhone is Appleā€™s main cash cow, so revenue from MfI is probably quite significant.
That is precisely my pointā€”Tim Cook stifles innovation and functionality if lots of money can be made by doing so. In other words, he prioritizes shareholders over users.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Apple computers have had USB 3.0 since mid-2012. That is 10 years ago. Despite that, Tim Cook, being the mediocre beancounter MBA suit that he is, has still not done anything to upgrade the connectivity on the latest iPhones. The latest iPhones use the same USB 2.0 connectivity that shipped with the very first iPhone in 2007. Both the Apple 30-pin cable and the Lightning cable use USB 2.0 speeds. This is frustrating for those of us who transfer data from our Macs (or PCs) to our iPhones. It takes unnecessarily long periods of time.

[...]
I agree that keeping USB 2.0 speeds is idiotic. However, I realize that perhaps the goal of pictures are to be transferred over wireless. After all, Apple has baked in several technologies where you can copy/paste wirelessly between phones, iPads, and Macs easily all without having them connected.

Furthermore, iCloud Drive and Photos work seamlessly. I fail to see why to connect your phone for picture transfer all the time. I understand the need for USB 3.0, but Apple has given its users several options.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple computers have had USB 3.0 since mid-2012. That is 10 years ago. Despite that, Tim Cook, being the mediocre beancounter MBA suit that he is, has still not done anything to upgrade the connectivity on the latest iPhones. The latest iPhones use the same USB 2.0 connectivity that shipped with the very first iPhone in 2007. Both the Apple 30-pin cable and the Lightning cable use USB 2.0 speeds. This is frustrating for those of us who transfer data from our Macs (or PCs) to our iPhones. It takes unnecessarily long periods of time.

Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs shipping an iPhone in 2012 with USB 2.0 connectivity knowing that Macs shipped earlier that year with USB 3.0, let alone every single year after that for 10 more years?

Unlike Jobs, Cook has no shame for shipping crap as long as it makes a lot of money. That's because Cook cares much more about shareholders than he does about users.

The only difference is that Steve jobs would have found a way to justify why people donā€™t need usb 3.0 speeds on their phones, and people would buy it.

The man has been dead for over 10 years now. Stop projecting and assuming that he would have done the total opposite of everything that you dislike about Apple today because the man was never perfect.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
That is precisely my pointā€”Tim Cook stifles innovation and functionality if lots of money can be made by doing so. In other words, he prioritizes shareholders over users.
Apple Silicon and iPads all going USB-C showed that Apple could do it. Tim simply selectively milk certain products (eg iPhone) for maximum revenue, while pushing the tech on other less risky products. Thatā€™s smart business. I mean I donā€™t see people here stop buying iPhones even with USB 2 speed, so why wouldnā€™t Apple milk it to the max? Blame people who keep buying the latest iPhones no matter what. šŸ˜†

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs shipping an iPhone in 2012 with USB 2.0 connectivity knowing that Macs shipped earlier that year with USB 3.0, let alone every single year after that for 10 more years?

Tim Cook will ship iPhones with USB 2.0 when he feels itā€™s needed . Until then he knows everyone is gonna to continue to buy apple products regardless .

dubvulture

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Yes, I have a 2019 Ioniq. It seems such a waste of the wireless charging pad. If you need to charge your phone, you're still better off plugging it in as you need to to use car play anyway. Due to change my car this year and, as far as I can tell, the current models do support wireless car play.
We recently purchased a 2022 Ioniq and it comes with wireless CarPlay. I canā€™t imagine going back to using cables. We love it. Also love getting 59mpg.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The only difference is that Steve jobs would have found a way to justify why people donā€™t need usb 3.0 speeds on their phones, and people would buy it.

The man has been dead for over 10 years now. Stop projecting and assuming that he would have done the total opposite of everything that you dislike about Apple today because the man was never perfect.
After 10 years, there is no "Steve would have done X instead". What Steve left, ran its course at most 4 years after his death. Apple is known to plan that far ahead. In other words, let the man rest. So yeah, I agree with you.

Again to people on the thread wanting USB3.0. We get it, but Apple has given you wireless options to transfer those pictures or data quicker.

Cram

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
We recently purchased a 2022 Ioniq and it comes with wireless CarPlay. I canā€™t imagine going back to using cables. We love it. Also love getting 59mpg
Unfortunately, Hyundai have now stopped manufacturing the Ioniq so that's the end of that. :(

dubvulture

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Unfortunately, Hyundai have now stopped manufacturing the Ioniq so that's the end of that. :(
Are you sure? When I go to their website it still shows all of the Ioniq hybrid trim levels and pricing.

Cram

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Are you sure? When I go to their website it still shows all of the Ioniq hybrid trim levels and pricing.
Yes, definitely. While there are still stocks, the models will still be on their website.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Kuo reported that ā€œall or someā€ models of the iPhone 15 will come with USB-C. So most likely itā€™s going to be Lightning this year with the iPhone 14 series.

d5aqoƫp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I wish they release iPhone 14/Pro models with USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports. Otherwise I will continue to use my iPhone 12 for another more year.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It sounds to me like this is Lightning's swan song year, completing the decade as originally stated at its launch. Nothing released in 2022 will be converting to USB-C.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah

just stop dude., and let things happen., this is the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.