Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Shoot 2h video and wait forever to Airdrop it to Mac. Very much iPhone Pro. I agree with the rant. They will be doing USB-C 3.1 6-7 years too late. Tim Cook is easy to blame, he is CEO, after all.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I get where you’re coming from and I’m a bit miffed that my iPhone is now the only lightning device I have. I’d rather just have one USB-C charger lying around.

But for file transfer? Whenever I want to transfer things these days I either put them in the cloud or just Airdrop them to myself.
Once I waited a day for some big 4k30fps (not ProRes) videos to upload to iCloud before AirDropping them. To this day, they haven’t. Under 500Mb/s WiFi. iPhone isn’t under any battery saver mode, I have 1TB out of 2TB free on iCloud. No problem with smaller, shorter videos. iCloud is unreliable, drives me crazy.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I don’t hate Tim Cook. I don’t hate anyone.

I think Cook did a great job with supply chain management. I just think he’s doing an awful job as CEO if one values the innovation and user-centric products that came about prior to him at the helm. (From shareholders’ perspective, he is probably the greatest CEO of all time.)

It’s shameful to sell USB 2.0 in 2022 on any product, let alone a flagship product costing up to $1,599.
i agree with you here...now we have hardware codec and large 4k, soon 8k files and Apple want to transfer those files in usb 2 speeds?!
Here its really embarrassing

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Time is moving faster than new technology. Nothing earth shattering in the 14. still Getting one anyway.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
The iPhone 14 was officially announced yesterday and it’s confirmed: it’s USB 2.0.

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
The first Apple products with USB 2.0 (updated aluminum PowerBook G4, new PowerMac G5, and the 3rd generation iPod) were released in 2003. That was 19 years ago. Yet Tim Cook obviously has no shame in releasing USB 2.0 products in 2022.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don’t hate Tim Cook. I don’t hate anyone.

I think Cook did a great job with supply chain management. I just think he’s doing an awful job as CEO if one values the innovation and user-centric products that came about prior to him at the helm. (From shareholders’ perspective, he is probably the greatest CEO of all time.)

It’s shameful to sell USB 2.0 in 2022 on any product, let alone a flagship product costing up to $1,599.
If you are the greatest ceo from a shareholder perspective you are the greatest ceo from a customer perspective. Can’t have one without the other for profit oriented corporations that produce consumer oriented goods.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I said in my earlier reply to that comment that I don’t hate Tim Cook and I don’t hate anyone. I’d like to add that I like Tim Cook’s charity work, including the charity work he’s done at Apple. It’s admirable and commendable.

I don’t dislike Cook as a person. I dislike him as a CEO. That’s because he’s not a products person. He’s not interested in making the best/most efficient tools for users. He’s more interested in maximizing profits to please shareholders, and he does that in large part by cutting corners on products. The likely USB 2.0 lightning port on the upcoming iPhone 14 is case in point.
People don’t care about Cook cutting corners. Apple produces products that a large part of general population can use. If the large part of the general population cared about usb c the iphone 14 wouldn’t sell, which as we know now is selling.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The first Apple products with USB 2.0 (updated aluminum PowerBook G4, new PowerMac G5, and the 3rd generation iPod) were released in 2003. That was 19 years ago. Yet Tim Cook obviously has no shame in releasing USB 2.0 products in 2022.
That's cause the entire thing about the iPhone now is to push you into using wireless service offerings instead of using a wire.

My guess is that soon, we'll have a portliest iPhone at the rate the MagSafe charging capacity is.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Tim Cook is chilling. I’m chilling too. I don’t plug in my iPhones. As a matter eliminate the ports Cook. I believe before we go port-less we will see usb C.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Although I don't like Samsung's phones (mainly because I don't like Android), one noteworthy thing that Samsung did right was releasing the world's first USB 3.0 phone, the Note 3, in 2013. That was nine years ago. And Apple still uses the same USB 2.0 connectivity today on their 2022 flagship phones. Tim Cook is clearly not a product person.

Reactions: slplss

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
It will not be surprising if the non-Pro iPhone 15 has USB-C but is still limited to USB 2.0 because that is the exact same scenario as the newest iPad that was released in October 2022:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
If USB3 connectivity is a must for you, better do a switch as I don’t expect Apple to do anything different anytime soon.
At this point, USB 3 is too little too late. The first USB 3 phone was released in 2013, which is 10 years ago.

The upcoming iPhone should be at least Thunderbolt 3, if not Thunderbolt 4. Apple has included Thunderbolt on Macs since 2011, which is 12 years years ago. And yet no iPhones have any Thunderbolt connectivity. 12 years. If that doesn’t show people how mediocre and stingy Tim Cook is, I don’t know what does.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I wonder what all the apologists for Tim Cook on this forum have to say about the following:

Since Apple has included Thunderbolt on Macs since February 2011, Apple should have included Thunderbolt on iPhones since the iPhone 4S which was released in October 2011. Since the iPhone 4S was an S version, perhaps the argument can be made that Apple should have released an iPhone with Thunderbolt in 2012 instead since it was a year for a redesign. Well, Apple did release a redesign (iPhone 5) with a new connector (Lightning), but it was still USB 2.0, which Apple introduced on Macs in 2003.

Let that sink in: In 2012, including USB 2.0 was already outdated as it was released in Macs 9 years prior, in 2003. Yet here we are, 20 years later in 2023, and all of the latest iPhone 14 line still has USB 2.0.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs shipping an iPhone in 2012 with USB 2.0 connectivity knowing that Macs shipped earlier that year with USB 3.0, let alone every single year after that for 10 more years?
Those Macs shipped in June 2012, only 8 months after he passed, and only about 9 1/2 months after he resigned.
The iPhone 5 shipped only three months later with the brand new lightning port for the time, and it was USB 2.0
Jobs was definitely alive for the majority of those products development, and Apple had been rumored to be working on a smaller charging port for about two years.
So… yeah, I can imagine Steve Jobs doing exactly that.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Apple computers have had USB 3.0 since mid-2012. That is 10 years ago. Despite that, Tim Cook, being the mediocre beancounter MBA suit that he is, has still not done anything to upgrade the connectivity on the latest iPhones. The latest iPhones use the same USB 2.0 connectivity that shipped with the very first iPhone in 2007. Both the Apple 30-pin cable and the Lightning cable use USB 2.0 speeds. This is frustrating for those of us who transfer data from our Macs (or PCs) to our iPhones. It takes unnecessarily long periods of time.

Could anyone even imagine Steve Jobs shipping an iPhone in 2012 with USB 2.0 connectivity knowing that Macs shipped earlier that year with USB 3.0, let alone every single year after that for 10 more years?

Unlike Jobs, Cook has no shame for shipping crap as long as it makes a lot of money. That's because Cook cares much more about shareholders than he does about users.
I think the main issue is that Apple is pushing toward a portless future for phones/tablets. Wi-Fi speeds can be faster than USB 2 already, and since many people just backup to the cloud, there is less of a need to backup directly to a computer.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I think the main issue is that Apple is pushing toward a portless future for phones/tablets. Wi-Fi speeds can be faster than USB 2 already, and since many people just backup to the cloud, there is less of a need to backup directly to a computer.
What is the point of Apple using RAW image files and 4K video files as selling points for their iPhones if such large files are going to be transferred with slow wireless speeds on a portless device? Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 are far faster than Airdrop and Wi-Fi.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
It's confirmed: iPhone 15 is USB 2.0!

A phone costing up to $1199, released in 2023, contains the exact same painfully slow wired transfer speeds as the very first iPhone, released in 2007.

[sarcasm]
Bravo, Tim Cook! You are truly a man who understands innovation. You really respect your customers.
[/sarcasm]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.