Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Until last year, all iPhones had Lightning ports, and Lightning cables only support USB 2 speeds anyway. Possibly they could have made special Lightning cables or adapters in order to enable USB 3 over Lightning, but I guess even Apple could see that would have been a bit ridiculous.

Pretty much all other Apple devices (eg: iPads) that actually have USB-C ports do support USB 3 speeds. The non-Pro iPhone 15 is an anomaly here.

That’s how Apple is upselling iPhone 15 Pro, by making artificial limitations on lower tire devices.

Apple is always playing this game and it will continue to be this way.

Reactions: JPack and ThomasJL

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
That’s how Apple is upselling iPhone 15 Pro, by making artificial limitations on lower tire devices.

Apple is always playing this game and it will continue to be this way.

It's not an artificial limitation: the A16 SoC in the non-Pro iPhone 15 fundamentally does not support USB 3, because it was designed for an era when the iPhone did not have a USB-C port.

The iPhone 15 would cost more to produce if it supported USB 3 data transfer because it would need to use a different SoC or have additional hardware added just to support the USB port.

An artificial limitation would be if Apple had said "oh, let's limit the non-pro iPhone 15 to USB 2.0 speeds in software, just to create a distinction between the pro and non-pro iPhones". But that's not the case.

Reactions: kitKAC

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
they could have made special Lightning adapters in order to enable USB 3 over Lightning, but I guess even Apple could see that would have been a bit ridiculous.

The A16 SoC fundamentally does not support USB 3

But you forgot about the A9X being the first Apple silicon chip to support USB 3

And even if you don’t include an X/M Chip USB 3 has been on the iPad Air 4th Gen with the A14 Bionic

But you forget one thing.. the A9 SoC transfered away from eMMC to NVMe which was the one key thing for USB 3.0 support ( 16 pins for lightning) so yes A16 SoC has the technology to support USB 3.0, just Apple only implemented it first on 3/4 lightning iPad Pros before the A12X’s switch to USB C.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
And even if you don’t include an X/M Chip USB 3 has been on the iPad Air 4th Gen with the A14 Bionic

Yeah, I believe those iPads (with A-series SoCs) have discrete USB controllers on a separate IC in order to support USB 3. Something Apple wouldn’t have wanted to do on the more space-constrained and power-constrained iPhones.

Reactions: kitKAC and Homme

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
It's not an artificial limitation: the A16 SoC in the non-Pro iPhone 15 fundamentally does not support USB 3, because it was designed for an era when the iPhone did not have a USB-C port.

The iPhone 15 would cost more to produce if it supported USB 3 data transfer because it would need to use a different SoC or have additional hardware added just to support the USB port.

An artificial limitation would be if Apple had said "oh, let's limit the non-pro iPhone 15 to USB 2.0 speeds in software, just to create a distinction between the pro and non-pro iPhones". But that's not the case.

Yeah, I believe those iPads (with A-series SoCs) have discrete USB controllers on a separate IC in order to support USB 3. Something Apple wouldn’t have wanted to do on the more space-constrained and power-constrained iPhones.

Apple can choose to used binned A17 processor on iPhone 15, just like they used to do before iPhone 14.

It is all about segmenting iPhone market and making artificial limit, so Apple can justifying the ever increasing price on iPhones.

Why it is so hard to acknowledge Apple is for money rather than user experience?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Apple can choose to used binned A17 processor on iPhone 15, just like they used to do before iPhone 14.

It is all about segmenting iPhone market and making artificial limit, so Apple can justifying the ever increasing price on iPhones.

Why it is so hard to acknowledge Apple is for money rather than user experience?
Apple is for both money and user experience, like just about ever other company on the plane.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Apple is for both money and user experience, like just about ever other company on the plane.

Yes.

A company that selling a phone over $1000 Canadian that doesn’t offer USB 3.0 transfer speed, lacking of 120Hz display, merely 128GB storage cares about user experiences.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Yes.

A company that selling a phone over $1000 Canadian that doesn’t offer USB 3.0 transfer speed, lacking of 120Hz display, merely 128GB storage cares about user experiences.
You get iOS for that 1000 CAD though. Can’t be said of other 1000 CAD phones.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
You get iOS for that 1000 CAD though. Can’t be said of other 1000 CAD phones.

I remotely care about iOS. I used both Android and iPhone at same time.

High refresh rate screen, 256Gb should be standard on phone cost over $1000. iOS alone doesn’t worth that much.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I remotely care about iOS. I used both Android and iPhone at same time.

High refresh rate screen, 256Gb should be standard on phone cost over $1000. iOS alone doesn’t worth that much.
Just goes to show how people value different things.

If I had 1000 CAD I’d rather have an iOS device with 60hz and 128gb than an android device.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Just goes to show how people value different things.

If I had 1000 CAD I’d rather have an iOS device with 60hz and 128gb than an android device.

Is iOS alone worth $1000? Every platform has its own uniqueness, advantages and disadvantages. It is stupid to just use one.

Apple uses multiple different vendors for components, why would anyone just use one platform?

What makes iOS worth $1000, but Android does not? As far as I know, Android phones offers better specifications, better notification management, better file management, better gesture support. The new Android 15 offer private spaces, for storing private file, better volume control etc.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Is iOS alone worth $1000? Every platform has its own uniqueness, advantages and disadvantages. It is stupid to just use one.

Apple uses multiple different vendors for components, why would anyone just use one platform?

What makes iOS worth $1000, but Android does not? As far as I know, Android phones offers better specifications, better notification management, better file management, better gesture support. The new Android 15 offer private spaces, for storing private file, better volume control etc.
iOS alone isn’t worth 1000 CAD, but it’s worth more than Android is.

• Love

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
iOS alone isn’t worth 1000 CAD, but it’s worth more than Android is.

Sure. You being you.

For $1000 dollars, I rather than Samsung S23 than iPhone 15.

You know what I am using? $220 dollar iPhone XS Max as my work devices. This is what good value phone is, not $1000 iPhone 15. The fact Apple charges upwards of $1100 for iPhone 15 Plus disguising.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Sure. You being you.

For $1000 dollars, I rather than Samsung S23 than iPhone 15.

You know what I am using? $220 dollar iPhone XS Max as my work devices. This is what good value phone is, not $1000 iPhone 15.
Good for you. I certainly wouldn’t rather an S23. Give me a 1000 CAD iPhone.

• Love

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Yet, iPad mini with A15 supports USB-C with USB 3.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Teardown shows iPhone 14 Plus has a USB-C controller from Infineon.

In fact, it goes back as early as iPhone 11: Cypress CYPD2104 USB Type-C Port Controller

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Yet, iPad mini with A15 supports USB-C with USB 3.

It all boils down to the cost. Currently baseline iPhone is using last year design, supplies or inventory. It cost Apple money to modify A16 chip, whereas it just use what left over or continue producing same chip for lesser money.

It is all boils down to cost. User experiences is secondary.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
It all boils down to the cost. Currently baseline iPhone is using last year design, supplies or inventory. It cost Apple money to modify A16 chip, whereas it just use what left over or continue producing same chip for lesser money.

It is all boils down to cost. User experiences is secondary.
Yeah cheaper iPhones have to fit into a lower cost profile, so naturally can’t have as many features as the more expensive devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.