Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickyValentine

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
I’m an RT. It’s in and out of pockets and scrubs and sitting on tables. Not working in construction etc. I don’t throw it around and toss it on the ground etc. this is just me using the phone normal

Reactions: Zensō

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
My iPhone 4 leather case is still floating around somewhere, and it looks better than that after 2 years of heavy use and many years of sitting in a drawer since then. Since the iPhone 5, I've switched entirely to 3rd party cases and have been very pleased with my record of no damage to my phones. Some of the clear cases turned yellow/brown after a while, but they're like $8 to replace so no problem. I can buy 5 of them per phone and still come out ahead of Apple's pricing.

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
Why couldn't Apple give customers a choice! The climate-friendly customers could then choose FW and us irresponsible people could choose leather.

• Haha
Reactions: mikext and Timpetus

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
It’s puzzling that some are claiming no wear after months. My FW case started showing a MagSafe ring and wear on the edges after less than one week of light use around the house.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
It’s puzzling that some are claiming no wear after months. My FW case started showing a MagSafe ring and wear on the edges after less than one week of light use around the house.
My brother-in-law has the blue FW on his 15 Pro. He always gets phones on launch day, so I assume it's been on there since day 1. It looked disgusting when I saw it at Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Zensō

Chip Chanko

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
IMG_1498.jpeg

Yeah here's mine. I haven't tried cleaning it. I still like the case, though! I'll probably pick a second one up for backup when they go on sale before the new phones come out.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Honestly, I feel like that’s saying “how clean do you keep your car”. Lol
Mundane wovens are all clean. I did spill sauce on it but used soap and water and it’s fine.

ShadowMind

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Washington State
I have both the Apple Silicone and Fine Woven cases because I thought the Fine Woven was going to be terrible. I was wrong. After dropping the Silicone twice, it had a few chips out of the case, so I thought why not put on the FW case. A month later, the FW case seems to have held up better than Silicone in terms of pieces of it not falling off when dropped. For context, I sprayed the FW with Scotchgard. I also have purchased Apple branded leather and silicone cases going back to the XS. I prefer the leather, but the FW definitely has the Silicone beat in my brief experience. Plus, the button covers are tighter and more responsive. Don’t get me wrong, I would vastly prefer leather to the FW.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
YMWV… I have had it since release and am surprised how happy it makes me. Feels great, looks good. And it’s just a “burner case” - I’m ensuring I don’t reshape my phone overmuch before the Fjorden case arrives…

To my eyes and experience it delivers exactly what Apple promised.

IMG_0378.jpeg

Reactions: babalougots

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
The worst feeling product Apple has ever made. Feels like one of those 3D holographic bookmarks. Wouldn’t put one on my phone if you paid me.

Also, yes, it looks terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Bacong

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Apple's leather cases didn't age any better than that. I should know, since I bought one two months before the September keynote.
The Apple leather case for the iPhone Xs aged/patina very, very nicely. However, the ones for the iPhone 12 Pro (and probably the ones after that) did not patina well. There is a YouTube video by a leather-worker (from Sweden or another Scandinavian country) that explains why that is and has something to do with the dye adhereing too well to the leather so it doesn't rub off as easily in places that see less rub (e.g., corners vs. flat side of the case).

(Found the video; I think this is it:
)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
It’s sad when an Apple employee tells me to avoid it and just go case less specially if you have Apple Care. She made valid points 🤷🏻‍♂️
As slippery as these phones are I won’t go case less even with Apple Care. Woven was so ugly I didn’t even bother. Got a Zagg clear but the sides are yellowing already. Might go with normal black and boring Zag or hard plastic clear.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I won’t go case less even with Apple Care
I agree. At one time, that might have been a workable option. But Apple has really gotten stingy with claims over the past few years. They used to replace scratched and cracked displays, but now you basically have to bring them something that has been run over a dozen times by a dump truck before they'll even tell you it might be eligible for accidental damage replacement. Like, I'm paying the ever-increasing upfront cost for AC+ and the deductible. If I find the damage sufficient, let me pay and replace it. More Tim Apple corner-cutting, and leaving customers dissatisfied in the name of more profits.

Not to mention that even under their old, customer-friendly AC+ policy, you'd still be without a phone until you can get an appointment and get to the Apple Store. At least a case prevents that potential damage from happening in the first.

S7anley

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2020
Cheltenham, England
Some of you guys sound like you buy a pair of jeans, never wash them and throw them in the bin when they get stained and dirty. I get it this is a phone case, gets handled a lot and is a nuisance having to wash it regularly but it’s nowhere near as bad as you try to portray it. You say this case isn’t worth its price. Are Apple silicone cases worth their price? No but some of you are all over them. Makes me laugh when a cheap silicone off Ali is just as good yet your bring up the fw pricing. This is the Apple tax.

I have two fw cases taupe washed weekly and black - once every two weeks, and they look perfect. Can’t say the same about all the leather cases I bought through the years.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I buy a silicone case for the first 3 months till it gets grimy and I give up.. I’ve been caseless for 4 months now and have no phone damage.

My biggest issue use to be putting in the same pocket as my car keys.. and I’d have loads of tiny scratches on screen. Now I’m more mindful it’s still looking good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.