Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallonskalle

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2020
Alright, I re-did this using my iPhone XR which obversely does not have the right optics to shoot in a low lit environment, add to that my shaky hand, while scrolling with the other.

Also to my naked eyes, the screen recorded version is much closer to what I see in reality.

Scrolling, I am still quite able to read.

Added some sharp movements to see if it makes it more blurry.

Scroll/Move things a bit faster and you will see it.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
You're movement there seems unrealistically slow. I'm not saying you will have a problem but I can't recall ever moving a window that slow.

Scroll/Move things a bit faster and you will see it.

Sorry about that, I am kind of bed ridden at the moment, so was balancing the MacBook Pro 16", while trying to move the window in an awkward circular motion, but not too widely so that my personal details are not exposed, at the same time, holding onto my iPhone XR to record an external video.

I do have unresolved motor skill/balancing issues.

It(windows movement) does get faster towards the end.

Also with the scrolling I am attempting to mimic the speed of someone who is reading the content with intent to understand. So think of it as a wall of text. Again the last few secs is a good indicator. In that aspect I don't think I am too far of mark.

The whole point is that I am quite able to read while scrolling slowly, in contrast to the statement expressed below.

this is not about being sensitive. Can not you notice the terrible text smearing during scroll on a web page or word document??? The text becomes unreadable even you scroll very very slowly...

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Alright, I re-did this using my iPhone XR which obversely does not have the right optics to shoot in a low lit environment, add to that my shaky hand, while scrolling with the other.

Also to my naked eyes, the screen recorded version is much closer to what I see in reality.

Scrolling, I am still quite able to read.

Added some sharp movements to see if it makes it more blurry.

Thanks for your effort but your scroll and movement is ultra slow dude

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
I would assume just like any other laptop user, for work, for play for enjoyment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its not really antique technology, and infact its current technology. True gaming laptops have faster screens, but mainstream laptops are mostly still on 60Hz.

Why? I'm being serious, if you don't like this laptop or the display, return it. Other people are happy about it, why worry about how other people use their property in a way that satisfies them

60 hz is the lowest refresh rate on monitors now and there is not any standard lower than 60 hz, and also this refresh rate has been using for decades. You do not need to buy a game Laptop for high refresh rates. The are many regular laptops that have 72 or 90 hz.
But this is the point that i can not understand aplle because this is the most expensive and most valuable premium laptop of this brand but they prefer a very very old and lowest refresh rate for this kind of product? WHY? Because of concerns on battery life. So customers deal with the low quality outputs of this decision like terrible ghosting smearing, one of the worst pixel response time and 60 hz display like cheap low quality laptops...

there must be a regular mode and performance or pro mode on Mac OS and customers have to have right to choose what they want.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
lowest refresh rate for this kind of product? WHY?
I'm not defending Apple, heck, I'm rocking with a 240Hz display and its awesome. My point is that the OP stated 60Hz is antique technology and its not. You yourself said its a standard refresh rate. That's just my point.

I agree that apple bills itself as a premium grade laptop yet are using components that don't really fit that premium designation.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Beating a dead horse...

Making opinions come off a facts when they are nothing more than opinions...

"never understood why reading white text on black background became a thing again, it seems so warez dated."

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
60 hz is the lowest refresh rate on monitors now and there is not any standard lower than 60 hz, and also this refresh rate has been using for decades. You do not need to buy a game Laptop for high refresh rates. The are many regular laptops that have 72 or 90 hz.

Because of priorities. It really depends on what you need it for, and you have to prioritise, make compromises, etc. There are many reasons - power draw, price, etc. And "many regular laptops" have different priorities.

You do know that Pro Display XDR is also 60Hz? Do you think it's because they cheaped out? Or that there is a reason for it? Wacom Cintiq line - also 60Hz. Eizo ColorEdge monitors? You guessed it: 60Hz.

And here's the best one: Sony BVM-HX310 reference monitor.... you know, the one that costs 30,000 euros? Its maximum refresh rate is.... 60Hz. Now, this is literally the best monitor Sony can make, and made for studios who don't care about price. It's not like they decided to save a few bucks or something - it's just that you design around certain expectations and push the most important specs, depending on numerous factors. But whatever the reason, hopefully I've shown you that the best, most professional monitors on the market today are 60Hz, so I don't think "ancient technology" is the appropriate word.

For professional content, 60Hz is the standard. I'm sure no one would mind a 144hz screen on a MBP or XDR Pro Display (and I wouldn't be surprised if we get it at one point), but it's not that important for content creators.
[automerge]1585501668[/automerge]
I agree that apple bills itself as a premium grade laptop yet are using components that don't really fit that premium designation.

What components are not premium on the new MBP 16"? Honest question. Because it's not the screen.

Reactions: Chevysales

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
I'm not defending Apple, heck, I'm rocking with a 240Hz display and its awesome. My point is that the OP stated 60Hz is antique technology and its not. You yourself said its a standard refresh rate. That's just my point.

At this point i want to ask do you have trouble when you switch back to mbp display after using your 240 hz monitor?

And honestly may i request a favor from you if it is not hard for you? Could you please record a guide video tht compares mbp 16 and your 240hz display while scrolling same web page with an external camera? I mean smooth scrolling with mbp trackpad and if your 240 hz display is 1920x1080 could you please regulate the recording distance because of standardisation of the font size? (in light mode not dark mode)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point i want to ask do you have trouble when you switch back to mbp display after using your 240 hz monitor?
Sorry for the miscommunication - I don't own a MBP, I own a PC laptop that has a 240Hz display.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
And honestly may i request a favor from you if it is not hard for you? Could you please record a guide video tht compares mbp 16 and your 240hz display while scrolling same web page with an external camera? I mean smooth scrolling with mbp trackpad and if your 240 hz display is 1920x1080 could you please regulate the recording distance because of standardisation of the font size? (in light mode not dark mode)
You don't need guide video for that. The 240Hz one will be smoother when scrolling. But as you can see from this thread, most people don't care much. That's why the screen is as it is.

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
But this is the point that i can not understand aplle because this is the most expensive and most valuable premium laptop of this brand but they prefer a very very old and lowest refresh rate for this kind of product? WHY? Because of concerns on battery life. So customers deal with the low quality outputs of this decision like terrible ghosting smearing, one of the worst pixel response time and 60 hz display like cheap low quality laptops...

there must be a regular mode and performance or pro mode on Mac OS and customers have to have right to choose what they want.

Perhaps to get the killer screen AND a better refresh rate, they'd have had to charge another $100? That just adds to the rather ridiculous sting that is Apple prices. I'm guessing the 14" model will rectify this issue after all this feedback.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
My new 16”, when scrolling, leaves a green smear when it comes to bold titles or blocks of color (be it black or blue or any other color).
Is this a driver issue (software) or panel issue (hardware)?
Should I return the MBP?
[automerge]1586044010[/automerge]
I forgot to mention: besides the green smearing, the display is perfect: no ghosting, even display, plays perfect video, even at 8k.
I have noticed late last night that, under night mode, the green smearing doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
My new 16”, when scrolling, leaves a green smear when it comes to bold titles or blocks of color (be it black or blue or any other color).
Is this a driver issue (software) or panel issue (hardware)?
Should I return the MBP?
[automerge]1586044010[/automerge]
I forgot to mention: besides the green smearing, the display is perfect: no ghosting, even display, plays perfect video, even at 8k.
I have noticed late last night that, under night mode, the green smearing doesn't happen.
Is the green smear something you could capture with a video? I don't recall hearing of it.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Is the green smear something you could capture with a video? I don't recall hearing of it.
I called AppleCare to look into it. She first tried to connect to my computer to see the display. She tried three times but, every time it timed out.
Finally, she had me start in Safe Mode. Interestingly enough, I could not scroll in Safari. The pages would only stutter. At that point she wanted me to send it in for repairs but I chose to return it for a refund.
On top of the green hue and the stuttering, True Tone was also inconsistent so, putting all together, a refund was the obvious choice. I'll wait a while and, eventually, order another one.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I called AppleCare to look into it. She first tried to connect to my computer to see the display. She tried three times but, every time it timed out.
Finally, she had me start in Safe Mode. Interestingly enough, I could not scroll in Safari. The pages would only stutter. At that point she wanted me to send it in for repairs but I chose to return it for a refund.
On top of the green hue and the stuttering, True Tone was also inconsistent so, putting all together, a refund was the obvious choice. I'll wait a while and, eventually, order another one.

I don't know how AppleCare could connect remotely to your computer and see any defects on your display. She'd be seeing her own display. But you probably did the right thing in returning the MBP because of the graphics artifacts.

sharik2009

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
I am using my MBP 16 for one week and my display is great. I switched from an iPad Pro 120hz so I only noticed the switch to 60hz badly, but thats normal and it is getting better day by day. Overall satisfied. My display is correctly illuminated.

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
Personally, reading all this, i think its a personal thing.

I just spent days reading about different 43" 4K TV's, and read dozens of lengthy reviews. Some had 'weak color', some had great color, Others had 'weak blacks', some great blacks. All these different things. I have a two year old 4K TV upstairs (not mine), and sitting down last night to watch it with a reviewer's eye (looking for issues), knowing all the weaknesses they attributed to this particular model... i cant say i noticed anything bad. Perhaps if i had five different TV's lined up i could compare, but on its own, this TV (rating very low on the reviews list) looks goddamn great. I have excellent vision too.

Perhaps some watch a screen to notice issues, and others just get work done? Maybe some complainers have bad eyes? Or OCD even? Yeah, a lot of complaints about this... but only on a forum where people come with their problems. Far too many variables to make a concrete judgement. I'll have mine tomorrow and i'll see for myself i guess.

The price plays a part too. If this was a $1000 machine... i bet no one would care.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
The display is fine for everything besides gaming.

Gaming is where the things will start to notice right away, it doesn't matter much to me since I do all my gaming on the custom rig and the MBP is just for work/browsing the web in the couch.

For those gaming on this I'd recommend to get an external display plain and simple.

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
The display is fine for everything besides gaming.

Gaming is where the things will start to notice right away, it doesn't matter much to me since I do all my gaming on the custom rig and the MBP is just for work/browsing the web in the couch.

For those gaming on this I'd recommend to get an external display plain and simple.

Do people actually game on laptop screens? I'm no gamer, but from what i've seen i'd want the biggest, fanciest screen i could find for the games they have today...

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Do people actually game on laptop screens? I'm no gamer, but from what i've seen i'd want the biggest, fanciest screen i could find for the games they have today...

Well yeah I do play Diablo and CIV VI on the 16" when I was on flights back in December :D

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
Well... my 16" i9 finally arrived. I've only had an hour or so to play with it, and it even completely slipped my mind... about the screen thing. The second i remembered i realized that i'd noticed nothing. This thing is amazing. Not a single complaint with the screen, scrolling, text, or graphics. Even looking for issues... i cant complain at all. Its gorgeous.

Happy happy.

Reactions: sharik2009

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Well... my 16" i9 finally arrived. I've only had an hour or so to play with it, and it even completely slipped my mind... about the screen thing. The second i remembered i realized that i'd noticed nothing. This thing is amazing. Not a single complaint with the screen, scrolling, text, or graphics. Even looking for issues... i cant complain at all. Its gorgeous.

Happy happy.

If you scroll in the launchpad you notice a bit of ghosting there with the app draw, but for normal use is more than fine real.

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
i see ghosting especially on dark backgrounds, but it does not bother me that much. Granted it would be awesome if apple used a bit quicker screen, but overall it is still very good. Similar to XPS IPS FHD panels (in terms of speed)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.