Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Emraha has been complaining about this for like 6 months so I doubt he’s in his return window

I say sell it and stop complaining about it on the internet. You’re going to end up wasting a year of your life complaining about this stupid display. Don’t you have work to do on the computer or something? Or did you just buy it to see what text looks like when scrolling?

I think the display on mine is fine and there is no issue by the way.
Do you keep your laptop in a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

• Haha
Reactions: Camarillo Brillo

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
After my 2017 Macbook got swollen, I was pretty excited(the sucker that I am) to get the 16", but thankfully this thread applied my emergency brakes

Like most pointed out, display issues are always there, but it's just what you do that determines whether it's an issue or not, for example, one thing that perplexed me, the Macbook's never have freesync or g-sync etc. - so whatever external monitor you get (maybe now the pro display is synced?), you don't get the smoothness of the internal monitor, which is definitely synced internally

I tested my 2017 screen by the way, it ghosts too, shockingly less than my P2415Q dell monitor, but the Macbook is smooth with the animations I see every day, while the external monitor, because of the lack of syncing, displays flashing images

Long story short, I develop a pixel game, can anyone test this animation for me on their 16"?
I assume it will be smooth on the 16", and no flashing zones will appear

I also want to thank everyone who contributed on this thread, it's not easy saying anything bad about Apple these days, they don't spend much money on things like high refresh rate monitors etc. - but they do spend good money on supporters :D

Rory Gillies

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2020
To me (a media pro both video and photography) this is hands down the best Apple laptop display I have ever used. The colour is spot on (turn off True Tone, it’s a killer), and being UK based and working in 25p the 50hz refresh rate is a game changer, perfect video preview. I have a fairly top spec model, went for the 2.4 i9 with 32GB and 8GB GPU. I‘ve tried sidecar with my iPad Air (2019) to display the FCPX video window, but in all honesty I prefer it on the laptop screen. Can’t say I’ve ever really noticed the ghosting that everyone is on about, if it is there it certainly doesn’t bother me. My device was built in April 2020.

Reactions: petvas

sau93

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
To me (a media pro both video and photography) this is hands down the best Apple laptop display I have ever used. The colour is spot on (turn off True Tone, it’s a killer), and being UK based and working in 25p the 50hz refresh rate is a game changer, perfect video preview. I have a fairly top spec model, went for the 2.4 i9 with 32GB and 8GB GPU. I‘ve tried sidecar with my iPad Air (2019) to display the FCPX video window, but in all honesty I prefer it on the laptop screen. Can’t say I’ve ever really noticed the ghosting that everyone is on about, if it is there it certainly doesn’t bother me. My device was built in April 2020.
How to determine the production date?

Hjupter Cerrud

macrumors regular
May 5, 2020
Panama
How to determine the production date?
I can see my manufacture date on coconut battery
1590965338055.png

matmal

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
I get angry every time when i open and notice the terrible pixel response time display. I really hate it. I bought it with hope because Apple is a dream since my childhood.

But this smearing blurry display during scroll or dynamic image view drive me crazy.

In technology; the functions improve by time, this is a trend. But when you evaluate this laptop pixel response time gets worse. According to notebookcheck.com this notebook has worse values than %90 of all devices they tested. I can not accept this.

If have right to criticise and complain about some truthts so i request admins to be objective about this topic, not to close it
Other people in this thread make statements about your issue but yes you have the right to complain and if the issues is as bad as you claim apple should take it seriously and investigate and provide a clear response. Selling or stopping complaining does not solve the route cause as suggested by others

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I get angry every time when i open and notice the terrible pixel response time display. I really hate it. I bought it with hope because Apple is a dream since my childhood.

But this smearing blurry display during scroll or dynamic image view drive me crazy.

In technology; the functions improve by time, this is a trend. But when you evaluate this laptop pixel response time gets worse. According to notebookcheck.com this notebook has worse values than %90 of all devices they tested. I can not accept this.

If have right to criticise and complain about some truthts so i request admins to be objective about this topic, not to close it
Do you get some sort of satisfaction making a whole bunch of threads complaining about one specification of this computer? I seriously doubt anyone here works for Apple so spamming the forms over and over with the same complaint is it going to get your problem solved. It just annoys people.

Meltedmen

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Probably a problem with the video card drivers in mac OS

On Windows 10 ghosting problem disappeared

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Probably a problem with the video card drivers in mac OS

On Windows 10 ghosting problem disappeared

Ive gone on windows 10 same thing, also synthetic testings shows the same thing that its the panel design.
Drivers can't change a 45ms pixel response time.

Reactions: simonmet

Meltedmen

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Ive gone on windows 10 same thing, also synthetic testings shows the same thing that its the panel design.
Drivers can't change a 45ms pixel response time.
Here the question is how drivers work with hardware and under Windows you can download drivers from the site AMD. I hardly notice ghosting now

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Lol! Placebo effect.

Drivers has nothing to do with it, it’s the actual material in the panel, notebook check has shown this With instruments.

just fired up sc2 on Windows with gaming drivers and Mac, exactly the same.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Emraha has been complaining about this for like 6 months so I doubt he’s in his return window

I say sell it and stop complaining about it on the internet. You’re going to end up wasting a year of your life complaining about this stupid display. Don’t you have work to do on the computer or something? Or did you just buy it to see what text looks like when scrolling?

do you really satisfied while scrolling a web page and texts get terrrible and unreadeble. Why did you bought this laptop? To watch wallpapers all day.

do you really accept these below on a first class Pro labeled premium product? If your answer is yes then go and buy an high quality printer because it shows the static pictures well ilke mbp 16 but can not Show dynamic view:

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
I will not stop telling the truth, sorry. Some fan boys may close their eyes and neglect this painful truth. But it will always be there. I do not feel comfortable after paying 3 times of my wadge/salary and experience this kind of terrible smearing display.

the pretext that some people argue like “this is not a gaming laptop, this is for design” is not reasonable. Could you please tell me how will a animation maker create animations on a display like shown in below: (the video is recorded at regular speed, not slow motion)

@Camarillo Brillo @Philllllip @XNorth

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
It’s very disappointing for the price. I heard the latest Razer OLED panel has a 4 ms response time or > 10x faster.

I don’t recommend anyone buy the 16” currently. Wait (and hope) they offer a better screen in the next version.

I’ll probably sell mine if and when that happens. At a significant loss unfortunately. :(

joseph.s.jones

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I will not stop telling the truth sorry. Some fan boys may close their eyes and neglect this painful truth. But it will always be there. I do not feel comfortable after paying there times of my wadge/salary and experience this kind of terrible smearing display.

the pretext that some people argue like “this is not a gaming laptop, this is for design” is not reasonable. Could you please tell me how will a animation maker create animations on a display like shown in below:

Wow, I’ve been reading this thread picturing what people are experiencing. I didn’t realise how bad it was until I watched this video. I was going to buy a mbp 16 after WWDC, is everyone experiencing this and is it definitely not a software issue? I can’t believe more people aren’t reporting the issue if this is widespread.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
It’s very disappointing for the price. I heard the latest Razer OLED panel has a 4 ms response time or > 10x faster.

I don’t recommend anyone buy the 16” currently. Wait (and hope) they offer a better screen in the next version.

I’ll probably sell mine if and when that happens. At a significant loss unfortunately. :(

i am going to sell mine too. God damn it. What kind of quality perspective is this???

i think we will have to wait more than 2-3 years to buy good display MacBook pros because response time of Apple is also slow like pixel response times of its products.

[automerge]1591778294[/automerge]
Wow, I’ve been reading this thread picturing what people are experiencing. I didn’t realise how bad it was until I watched this video. I was going to buy a mbp 16 after WWDC, is everyone experiencing this and is it definitely not a software issue? I can’t believe more people aren’t reporting the issue if this is widespread.

because there are some people who defends Apple forever and ignores all types of issues. As i showed how can a person accept this as normal and defend the disgrace in video below...

but i am sure that these people (fan boys) will now sensitive about the issue and they will always remember and notice the terrible smearing every time they scroll a page. They will not complain about it to another people because they are fan boys but they will feel and annoy inside their minds.

Last edited:

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
There we go, no more defending it.

I mean yes that is really my only complaint with the 16" -- Its still better than any other PCs overall.
Just grab apple care, and if the new mac fixes this make a fair and reasonable but stern point to have it replaced.

I dont see why when the screen is a downgrade on previous gen pros. Plus its something alot of people dont realize is an issue until you're in some really specific work cases, have everything setup and go full speed. I mean half the old timers on here can even see it, or are blind by fanboy love for the product id assume.

For me it makes motion, animation and web page scrolling motion-sickening. However, I will suffer with this relying on apples customer service and some corporate contacts i have who could assist with fixing my problem down the road.

Applecare does open up doors with how far the company will go to solve your issue. Apple does truly take care of you as a customer, and wants to make you happy.

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017

you have already noticed what we talk about,now you are aware of the issue. Accept or ignore, you will remember and notice text smearing in every single scroll. You can not lie to yourself.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
i am going to sell mine too. God damn it. What kind of quality perspective is this???

i think we will have to wait more than 2-3 years to buy good display MacBook pros because response time of Apple is also slow like pixel response times of its products.

[automerge]1591778294[/automerge]

because there are some people who defends Apple forever and ignores all types of issues. As i showed how can a person accept this as normal and defend the disgrace in video below...

but i am sure that these people (fan boys) will now sensitive about the issue and they will always remember and notice the terrible smearing every time they scroll a page. They will not complain about it to another people because they are fan boys but they will feel and annoy inside their minds.
I watched this video. I can barely tell the difference between the two screens. The only time it looks bad is when you look at a snapshot of it mid-motion like in the thumbnail. I still don't read things that are in motion on my screen, nor do I take pictures of my screen to compare to pictures of other screens, so nothing changes here. I don't care.

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I watched this video. I can barely tell the difference between the two screens. The only time it looks bad is when you look at a snapshot of it mid-motion like in the thumbnail. I still don't read things that are in motion on my screen, nor do I take pictures of my screen to compare to pictures of other screens, so noting changes here. I don't care.

Both are bad but the 16” is worse. You should be able to focus on objects or text in motion, but on these screens you can’t: it’s a blurry mess. Have you used an iPad Pro or other fast screens? It’s like night and day how slow the 16” MacBook’s screen is.

It’s terrible in games too. Basically it’s a motion blur effect you can’t turn off.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
I watched this video. I can barely tell the difference between the two screens. The only time it looks bad is when you look at a snapshot of it mid-motion like in the thumbnail. I still don't read things that are in motion on my screen, nor do I take pictures of my screen to compare to pictures of other screens, so nothing changes here. I don't care.

It's twice as bad on the 16

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
As i showed how can a person accept this as normal and defend the disgrace in video below...

Lol. under what circumstances is it important for you that there must be NO "ghosting" flipping your screen images back and forth like that? None.

Do you know that motion blur is a phenomenon with photography and video, and in reality? Just wave your hand in front of your eyes. See that? It's ghosting.

[Sarcasm. ?]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.