Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
If you've lost more than 5%-7% or so battery capacity in one year something’s actually wrong… and if the battery is under 80% applecare will cover the majority of a battery replacement…
My last several years of phones have lost more than 7% in the first year.

Highly unlikely all 3 were defective, especially since so many people report the same.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe wait for independent reviews.
are they really independent even? Lot of people are correct especially the OP! I thought the presentation, offerings etc. were super boring. I used a pixel 9 pro this weekend and people couldn't believe images out of that camera..

Reactions: zakarhino

trollkatt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Yeah well you do you guys but I for one am excited about the camera upgrades and getting the 16 Pro with the 5x optical zoom. The button also seems nice - at least it's more sophisticated than a simple pushbutton.

Edit: Tbh I'm actually thinking what, 5x zoom and 48 megapixels on the macro camera. And proper 120 Hz 4k video which could be used for awesome slow motion. And people still say it's meaningless lol. What the hell do people even want these days 😂

Last edited:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Sure, and one could argue that if Apple delights rather than disappoints every year, there would be fewer threads like this. I actually think the 16 Pro is OK (but nothing more than OK), but I can understand the disappointment of those looking for more. I will not be upgrading my 14 Pro right away.
I think that there have been threads like this since the iPhone 3G.

One could rather argue that yearly update cycles no longer make sense for smartphones. But then seeing how people seem to become anxious when Apple continues to sell “old” products at the same price, I think that’s a trap that Apple isn’t getting out of any time soon.

Reactions: Chuckeee

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
One could rather argue that yearly update cycles no longer make sense for smartphones. But then seeing how people seem to become anxious when Apple continues to sell “old” products at the same price, I think that’s a trap that Apple isn’t getting out of any time soon.
It’s not an iPhone problem. The entire industry, much like many other consumer products, is on an annual upgrade cycle.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Just think about the last days of Nokia - they even made a triangular phone with buttons all around it. This is what happens when there isn’t anymore innovation inside.
Nokia is another beast. They lost the battle by not moving to android or making a better symbian, just like kodak got outplaced with their film cameras.

Adding a manager from microsoft to steal patents and ruin the company didn’t help either.

None of the above pertains to apple as they comfortably sit on their own processors and software. There is nothing else trumping android/ios anytime soon.

Reactions: Fred Zed

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Nokia is another beast. They lost the battle by not moving to android or making a better symbian, just like kodak got outplaced with their film cameras.

Adding a manager from microsoft to steal patents and ruin the company didn’t help either.

None of the above pertains to apple as they comfortably sit on their own processors and software. There is nothing else trumping android/ios anytime soon.
True , I was only referring to companies experimenting various form factors at the plateau / end stages of the life cycle.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
My last several years of phones have lost more than 7% in the first year.

Highly unlikely all 3 were defective, especially since so many people report the same.
I’m at 11% loss on my iPhone 15 pro max. I’m not upgrading this year so I plan to get the battery replaced once it hits 80.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Not sure why people are so negative on these phones. They bring new features and meaningful improvements over their predecessors. Are they earth shattering upgrades? No - but we haven't had any since 2017. Smartphones have plateaued.

Personally, they had me at better battery life.
I see Apple falling behind the competition with their camera. Some people here don’t want to admit it. Or they will say it’s good enough. It’s not good enough for a flagship phone.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
I’m using a 13 Pro, and guess what my big upgrade is this year? That’s right, the battery! It’s at 86%, so I’ll just replace it.

And what do I get in return? A thrilling 14% more battery life! All for the bargain price of $100 at my local store. It’s practically a steal, right? Thanks!
My iPhone 13 Pro battery is at 81%. I don't think I'll upgrade my iPhone this year and a new battery is just 100 euros and I think it's cheap considering how much the 16 Pro costs.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Absolutely nothing special about the Pro models this year, and they don't even keep up with the competition. Even last year's Watch Ultra 2 got the new feature tile board - but the 16 Pro is so boring they couldn't fill one. Half of the presentation spent on contrived movie and music video shoots that don't represent anyone's actual usage - I mean, you can't get those images without at least $100k in outboard gear, but who is spending that on a shoot and using an iPhone?

Still limping along on a 12 Pro, and upgrades to the camera are the one feature that will motivate me to spend on a new iPhone. Despite the rumors, I was desperately hoping Apple would come through and deliver a camera that meets my needs and goes toe to toe with the competition. Alas, we suffer once again at the hands of Apple's bean counters. It's one thing for products to plateau as technology development slows - but this is something else.

Google just released their Pixel 9, with 48mp available at each sensor for increased image quality all around. Yet here we are now with Apple's flagship phone still offering only an aging 12mp sensor for the telephoto lens. What gives?

I use the telephoto all the time, so I was hoping for a significant upgrade to finally justify the cost of a new phone. Google can now deliver a real step up in image quality, so why can't Apple?

I would love to get better pictures out of my wide and ultra-wide cameras, along with stabilization, but I can't justify the cost of a new phone that will continue to leave me disappointed with half the pictures I take. If I want the best image quality available to me right now, it looks like I will have to switch to Google. I don't want that, but I also don't want an expensive new phone that barely improves on my old one.

There is no reason Apple couldn't offer something competitive with Google except for their greed and arrogance - assuming that people will continue buying iPhones regardless of what they actually offer, even if that means missing out on features they could have if Apple was not deliberating withholding. Probably they are correct. But not with me. 12 Pro will soldier on for another year - unless I give my money to

Absolutely nothing special about the Pro models this year, and they don't even keep up with the competition. Even last year's Watch Ultra 2 got the new feature tile board - but the 16 Pro is so boring they couldn't fill one. Half of the presentation spent on contrived movie and music video shoots that don't represent anyone's actual usage - I mean, you can't get those images without at least $100k in outboard gear, but who is spending that on a shoot and using an iPhone?

Still limping along on a 12 Pro, and upgrades to the camera are the one feature that will motivate me to spend on a new iPhone. Despite the rumors, I was desperately hoping Apple would come through and deliver a camera that meets my needs and goes toe to toe with the competition. Alas, we suffer once again at the hands of Apple's bean counters. It's one thing for products to plateau as technology development slows - but this is something else.

Google just released their Pixel 9, with 48mp available at each sensor for increased image quality all around. Yet here we are now with Apple's flagship phone still offering only an aging 12mp sensor for the telephoto lens. What gives?

I use the telephoto all the time, so I was hoping for a significant upgrade to finally justify the cost of a new phone. Google can now deliver a real step up in image quality, so why can't Apple?

I would love to get better pictures out of my wide and ultra-wide cameras, along with stabilization, but I can't justify the cost of a new phone that will continue to leave me disappointed with half the pictures I take. If I want the best image quality available to me right now, it looks like I will have to switch to Google. I don't want that, but I also don't want an expensive new phone that barely improves on my old one.

There is no reason Apple couldn't offer something competitive with Google except for their greed and arrogance - assuming that people will continue buying iPhones regardless of what they actually offer, even if that means missing out on features they could have if Apple was not deliberating withholding. Probably they are correct. But not with me. 12 Pro will soldier on for another year - unless I give my money to Google instead.
I respectfully disagree. If anything, this years Pro models are PACKED with camera and video functions that the average user like myself will never practically use. So for that reason, I’ll pass myself…

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is just like automobiles. New models every year but doesn’t mean the insides are any different or you need to update every year. Same applies to mobile phones and laptops. Not just Apple but all of the suppliers.
Someone on Threads said the new iPhones are boring but the new Pixel feels fresh. What exactly about the Pixel is fresh? So they went from a camera bar to a bump. Big deal.

leoliang9892

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
I’m at 11% loss on my iPhone 15 pro max. I’m not upgrading this year so I plan to get the battery replaced once it hits 80.
Same! Rocking that AppleCare+ so gotta wait until the battery drops below 80.

But the "beauty" of it is that it's actually very hard to drop below 80. My 2018 iPad Pro doesn't drop below 80--it's close, but it just won't go below it. I have no evidence to back this up but I feel like Apple is doing some internal thing to make it not drop below 80 so that they can wait until people's 2 year AC+ runs out. Also, any 3rd party measurement, even if it says the battery capacity is below 80% will not count, even if it shows the exact number of full charge compared to design charge. Only the number Apple has using their diagnostic tool does.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
will be bigger screen really be meaningful?
As the poster said, bigger battery. The battery takes up more space, so they had to either make it thicker, or increase the battery's dimensions. Increasing the battery dimensions mean't Apple had to increase the screen size, otherwise the phone would have a larger bezel ie a bigger frame surrounding the screen, and that would have had some marketing downsides ie looked crude & against the trend of screens displacing the frames. Who knows, maybe the screen is cheaper than the frame too ...

aim1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2024
How to make green line go up?
IMG_7212.jpeg

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019

You know what was amazing?

The Palm Pre.

Reactions: cardfan

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Same! Rocking that AppleCare+ so gotta wait until the battery drops below 80.

But the "beauty" of it is that it's actually very hard to drop below 80. My 2018 iPad Pro doesn't drop below 80--it's close, but it just won't go below it. I have no evidence to back this up but I feel like Apple is doing some internal thing to make it not drop below 80 so that they can wait until people's 2 year AC+ runs out. Also, any 3rd party measurement, even if it says the battery capacity is below 80% will not count, even if it shows the exact number of full charge compared to design charge. Only the number Apple has using their diagnostic tool does.
Apple ios/mac reports moving average of the past 1-3 month measurements. So to internally reflect 79% of Coconut it will take 1-3 months until the same number appears in ios/mac settings (average of 79%, 79% and 79%).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.