Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
Apple ios/mac reports moving average of the past 1-3 month measurements. So to internally reflect 79% of Coconut it will take 1-3 months until the same number appears in ios/mac settings (average of 79%, 79% and 79%).
coconutBattery shows a 85% battery health while iOS 18 shows me 81% battery health. I incline to believe the iOS stats on my iPhone 13 Pro battery over coconutbattery but I can't complain at 787 cycles. It's 3 years old.

Reactions: ctjack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
coconutBattery shows a 85% battery health while iOS 18 shows me 81% battery health. I incline to believe the iOS stats on my iPhone 13 Pro battery over coconutbattery but I can't complain at 787 cycles. It's 3 years old.
Coconut reads out right at this moment readings based on voltage.
Battery is a chemical product. One can pack a punch for coconut by slow charging battery from 0 to 100% using 5w charger in a 60f temp room and it might show even 90%.

It all depends which way to look at it. For today, indeed your battery has 85% capacity by Coconut. But it is only valid for the last charge. On average, indeed one could only rely on 81% as reported by ios, because over the many days and many cycles, it sees that the average number is 81%.

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I was thinking about what I’d need on a phone while I was at the gym. I definitely need high-quality codecs, since I don’t post many pictures on social media. I have a 15 Pro Max with 256GB of storage and 99GB that’s still usable.
Is that model really still usable? I thought it was done the moment they introduced 16, like 100% not usable

notmyemail

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2023
Absolutely nothing special about the Pro models this year, and they don't even keep up with the competition. Even last year's Watch Ultra 2 got the new feature tile board - but the 16 Pro is so boring they couldn't fill one. Half of the presentation spent on contrived movie and music video shoots that don't represent anyone's actual usage - I mean, you can't get those images without at least $100k in outboard gear, but who is spending that on a shoot and using an iPhone?

Still limping along on a 12 Pro, and upgrades to the camera are the one feature that will motivate me to spend on a new iPhone. Despite the rumors, I was desperately hoping Apple would come through and deliver a camera that meets my needs and goes toe to toe with the competition. Alas, we suffer once again at the hands of Apple's bean counters. It's one thing for products to plateau as technology development slows - but this is something else.

Google just released their Pixel 9, with 48mp available at each sensor for increased image quality all around. Yet here we are now with Apple's flagship phone still offering only an aging 12mp sensor for the telephoto lens. What gives?

I use the telephoto all the time, so I was hoping for a significant upgrade to finally justify the cost of a new phone. Google can now deliver a real step up in image quality, so why can't Apple?

I would love to get better pictures out of my wide and ultra-wide cameras, along with stabilization, but I can't justify the cost of a new phone that will continue to leave me disappointed with half the pictures I take. If I want the best image quality available to me right now, it looks like I will have to switch to Google. I don't want that, but I also don't want an expensive new phone that barely improves on my old one.

There is no reason Apple couldn't offer something competitive with Google except for their greed and arrogance - assuming that people will continue buying iPhones regardless of what they actually offer, even if that means missing out on features they could have if Apple was not deliberating withholding. Probably they are correct. But not with me. 12 Pro will soldier on for another year - unless I give my money to Google instead.
I’m struggling to understand

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Been upgrading yearly since XS Max. Currently have launch day 15 Pro Max and well, this is a pass for me the first time. Always look forward upgrading but damn, this one was really crappy.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
As @CloudChief mentioned, the # of megapixels is misleading. In a sense, more is better (higher resolution, right?), but in practice, especially for telephoto, more pixels can impact light and ultimately quality. Both Apple & Google leverage computational photography tech and I would be highly surprised if anyone can tell much of a difference between their two—Google likely making up for lower quality per pixel while Apple likely effectively upscaling from a higher quality lower resolution base.

The 16 Pro is a solid improvement in camera and experience vs iPhone 15 Pro. And if you're coming from an iPhone 12 Pro, you will be absolutely blown away at the difference in photo and video quality.
That's me.... I've had my 12 pro for 4 years now so it feels like a good time to upgrade. This next one may go for 5 years before I feel the need for a change!

Reactions: Chuckeee

Brain Damage

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
Worst Apple iPhone launch ever and I mean it, no brighter displays no faster wired charging, I’m a pro photographer but I use real pro gear never used iPhone for pro shoots, there’s like nothing new they are so lazy they only updated the max headphones because the eu timing, they just don’t bother anymore

Faster wired charging? Why would they spend time and development on that when everyone and everything are doing wireless charging?

Oh and magsafe charging on the iPhone 16 are now 25W.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
As @CloudChief mentioned, the # of megapixels is misleading. In a sense, more is better (higher resolution, right?), but in practice, especially for telephoto, more pixels can impact light and ultimately quality. Both Apple & Google leverage computational photography tech and I would be highly surprised if anyone can tell much of a difference between their two—Google likely making up for lower quality per pixel while Apple likely effectively upscaling from a higher quality lower resolution base.

The 16 Pro is a solid improvement in camera and experience vs iPhone 15 Pro. And if you're coming from an iPhone 12 Pro, you will be absolutely blown away at the difference in photo and video quality.
In simple terms, higher MP sensor will allow you to crop into an image while maintaining enough pixels to print or fill a screen.

The bad side is more MP means less light per pixel on the sensor which will lead to greater noise in low light shots. This used to be offset by lowering the aperture allowing more light in and increasing shutter speeds which will reduce motion blur and keep ISO lower avoiding as much noise. The longer the lens, the higher the speed needed to prevent motion blur and the higher speed will mean higher ISO to boost sensor sensitivity for a correct exposure... which adds noise.

Now, things have changed a lot recently in terms of iso noise. Sensors on full frame cameras like the one I shot with for work (Leica M11) manage noise very well even with a 60mp full frame sensor. However... image noise isn't something I concern myself with any more. I take a photo as normal trying to maximise image quality with the desired effect needed but with the likes of Lightroom (still talking work imagery) I can use AI features that basically remove most or even all noise with no reduction of image quality.

What does this mean for the iPhone. Well, the extra pixels are not a negative, it just gives you extra reach (cropping factor) and any noise introduced through limitations of light with greater number of pixels becomes a moot point as the AI in phone processing the images will remove most iso noise and stabilisation will prevent camera shake issues. Especially given it is a tiny sensor which makes life a lot easier in terms of stabilisation.

Personally, I still use the iPhone 12 Pro camera a lot for taking a lot of shots. They're just very handy to have and I use it alongside my work camera. For me, the new camera features will make for a very nice upgrade and I'd imagine for most people, this will be the only camera they'll ever need... and it has a free phone... and internet... and everything else!

Last edited:

Kronsteen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2019
The battery degrades to the point of unusability by year end. Then the cost to replace the battery ends up being the price to upgrade/trade in.
Is this true of the majority of iPhones in recent years?

My iPhone X is still perfectly usable although, admittedly, i use it primarily as a ‘phone (plus occasionally to take snaps and to run the Merlin bird identification app).

I had been wondering about replacing it with a 15 Pro or, now, a 16 Pro. Partly because I would like the security features (and also Apple Tag sharing) in the more recent iOS releases and partly because I was hoping that Merlin would run more quickly. And the considerably better camera.

But if this rapid deterioration of batteries is a common experience (and I appreciate that there are slightly differing views further down the thread), I might hesitate. Does falling to 80% health somehow make the ‘phone unusable (or do they perhaps then more rapidly drop off a cliff)?

By no means do I have any great knowledge of or experience in using these devices, so any advice or comments would be appreciated (and with apologies if this is a bit off-topic). Thanks.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020

My iPhone X is still perfectly usable although, admittedly, i use it primarily as a ‘phone (plus occasionally to take snaps and to run the Merlin bird identification app).

I had been wondering about replacing it with a 15 Pro or, now, a 16 Pro. Partly because I would like the security features (and also Apple Tag sharing) in the more recent iOS releases and partly because I was hoping that Merlin would run more quickly. And the considerably better camera.

But if this rapid deterioration of batteries is a common experience (and I appreciate that there are slightly differing views further down the thread), I might hesitate. Does falling to 80% health somehow make the ‘phone unusable (or do they perhaps then more rapidly drop off a cliff)?

By no means do I have any great knowledge of or experience in using these devices, so any advice or comments would be appreciated (and with apologies if this is a bit off-topic). Thanks.
Apple runs hotter and battery degrades faster in recent iterations (12,13,14,15). But if you are not like my wife (playing from a phone while on charger), then the battery will last you 3 years on Pro Max models and 2 years on regular models until you see any visible hit on quality of life. At that 2/3 year mark, changing battery for $100 is still cheaper than $550 trade-in upgrade for a new phone.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA

No it's not true. It's hyperbole and FUD. My 13 Pro is 3 years old and my battery is at 79%. iOS still shows it at "Peak Performance Capability" and I can still easily get a full day's use out of it.

I've owned iPhones since the 3G and have never once had one "degrade to the point of unusability by year end", and the cost to replace the battery is nowhere near the cost to replace/trade in. A battery replacement for any iPhone still supported by Apple is from $89-$99.

All batteries degrade with use/charging, in phones and in anything else that uses batteries. Sometimes I think that putting "Battery Health" in the Settings menu was a huge mistake on Apple's part, because people get obsessive and neurotic about the battery in their phone.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
Samsung offers several folding phone products but those still account for a minority share of their phone sales. Why would an Apple folding phone be significantly different? Although I will grant you, a certain segment of enthusiast would be very excited
Because it's Apple.....that's why.
That’s not an option that appeals to me. I’ll be sticking with a normal phone, thanks.
I'm happy for you.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
Not so great. My 12 Pro is at 87%. I bet some other 12 pro owners are a little bit better.
I have 787 cycles on my iPhone 13 Pro and the battery health is at 81%.
In my case I think it’s great considering I am a heavy user.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
It’s the yearly everything sucks thread haha.
SOMEWHAT true BUT this year is SIGNIFICANTLY Worse than previous years. Usually each year there are much more updates in one year than this one had. I mean look how unfair the non Pro iPhones has 8GB of RAM while not even the Pro Max has 12GB like most flagships that came before and the same MAIN Camera sensor since 2022.

Reactions: Smittywerben

GCat

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2024
I'm rarely on this forum, but I have to say the threads tend to be quite hilarious 😂.

I'm generally an early tech-adopter, but---given the mature stage of the iPhone (and its competitors)---I see absolutely no reason to upgrade each year. I'll upgrade this year from an iPhone 13 Pro and I'll buy the 16 Pro. Looks like a pretty good upgrade to me!

Even on a 3-year cycle I'm far from a normie. Most people, including those who have plenty of money, are totally fine using an older model. Hence, it's perfectly rational for Apple not to cater to the minuscule fringe who get upset if there are no new radical innovations. It's also entirely unclear what these innovations would be.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
I’m using a 13 Pro, and guess what my big upgrade is this year? That’s right, the battery! It’s at 86%, so I’ll just replace it.

And what do I get in return? A thrilling 14% more battery life! All for the bargain price of $100 at my local store. It’s practically a steal, right? Thanks!
That is a pretty good deal I mean look how much Apple is going to give the trade ins store credit for the 15 Pro Max... A mind blowing $650 when just one year ago it costed $1200 lol. So if people are upgrading they will lose a lot of money for a phone that is 99% the same. The 12 Pro to 13 Pro was a much bigger upgrade.. even the 14 Pro to 15 Pro was way larger as well. This year Apple really blew it in every way possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.