Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
I agree with this- ā€œIt's obvious. It's time for Apple to switch to a 2-year phone release cycle. The yearly updates are meaningless at this stage.ā€
Just a thought about this. If this were to happen, Apple probably will still just give us a small incremental increase in those two years instead of a larger upgrade. Apple being Apple. šŸ¤Ŗ

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
SOMEWHAT true BUT this year is SIGNIFICANTLY Worse than previous years. Usually each year there are much more updates in one year than this one had. I mean look how unfair the non Pro iPhones has 8GB of RAM while not even the Pro Max has 12GB like most flagships that came before and the same MAIN Camera sensor since 2022.
Really? I remember these same statements on 15, 14, 13. Just cherry pick whatever you like and you can shape the story whichever way you want. Truth is, it's still an iPhone. It's still expensive. It still doesn't require yearly upgrades.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
SOMEWHAT true BUT this year is SIGNIFICANTLY Worse than previous years. Usually each year there are much more updates in one year than this one had. I mean look how unfair the non Pro iPhones has 8GB of RAM while not even the Pro Max has 12GB like most flagships that came before and the same MAIN Camera sensor since 2022.
I feel like they spent a little too much time talking about the AW Ultra 2 and AirPods Pro 2. They hyped up the AW Series 10 to be this brand new design in that short video beforehand just for it to look like every other Apple Watch.

I was briefly excited for that new 16 camera shutter thing, but after I realized all it is is a shortcut for things that can already be done, the excitement dropped off.

This was a pretty boring keynote in my opinion.

Reactions: RRC

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
Iā€™m most likely going to upgrade because my 12 pro battery is not doing so hot. Does both the 16 and 16 pro use Apple Ai? I may just get the normal 16 in red this time around. I miss the product red devices.

Edit: there is no red ?! WTH

Last edited:

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
Apple can only rest on former glory for so long. I think this might be itā€¦ itā€™s still a good device, but itā€™s not really ā€œbetterā€ than say a 15, 14 or 13. Perhaps even 12!

And people will always buy an iPhone for the first time and be happy for a multitude of reasons.

But anyone coming from a 12-15 will be ā€œdisappointedā€ as,theyā€™ve spent a lot of money and itā€™s basically ā€œidenticalā€ to what they had. Eventually people will start thinking why am I paying this much again?

So, letā€™s not start a schoolyard fight here, butā€¦

A) I predict the 16/16 Pro will be their lowest volume phone in last 5-6 generations
B) People who do buy it will not be satisfied enough compared to how much they spent
C) AI will be exciting, but it wonā€™t give enough ROI for the customers that it it will make the purchase satisfactory (AI will need iOS 18, 19 and 20 before it is valuable for the customer, by then it will be an expected function not a bonus function

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
Not sure why people are so negative on these phones. They bring new features and meaningful improvements over their predecessors. Are they earth shattering upgrades? No - but we haven't had any since 2017. Smartphones have plateaued.

Personally, they had me at better battery life.

Because Apple have been lazy and we expect them to be great.

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
I felt like the 15 Pro update was a joke.
The 16 Pro is mainly about the camera, because it should have the same AI capabilities as the 15 Pro.

They didn't mention about the anti-reflective coating on the camera though. This is huge IMO.

The camera upgrades over my 14 Pro is kinda big. I will benefit because I love taking photos and I'm developing the skill constantly. And I want a better battery...

toobravetosave

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2021
I sincerely hope no one buys the iPhone 16 series and give Apple the middle finger. Gotta hit them where it hurts if we want them to change and money is the only thing they care about these days.
there are people who upgrade every year without even looking

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
On the other hand, we have articles like this.

Users are starting to consider the non-pro iPhone models because they feel over-served by the more powerful iPhones. In short, smartphones are now at a point where they are "too good" for the user. I suspect Apple realises this too, and the challenge is not in simply chasing the spec race, but in coming up with new features that are actually meaningful to the end user.

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
I felt like the 15 Pro update was a joke.
The 16 Pro is mainly about the camera, because it should have the same AI capabilities as the 15 Pro.

They didn't mention about the anti-reflective coating on the camera though. This is huge IMO.

The camera upgrades over my 14 Pro is kinda big. I will benefit because I love taking photos and I'm developing the skill constantly. And I want a better battery...
They didn't mention it because most likely it's not new either, they just removed anti-lens flare coating from iPhone 15 spec comparison in yet another shady act.
And how you know it's big since even Apple didn't mention it? is there any review out there proving that?

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
I usually sell my iPhone each year on eBay just to get a new one. Now I use one credit card for everything which racks up points and I have a $440 Apple gift card that I'll use toward the new iPhone when I trade my 15 Pro in.
$999-520=$479x7%=$512-440=$72
I'll only pay $72 to upgrade from my 15 Pro to the 16 Pro

mgscheue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2018
Thatā€™s all fine but the newest iOS rolls out features that make a year old phone useless.

iPhone 15 buyers got royally screwed and Iā€™m one of them.

I can understand being annoyed by that, but is it really useless, now? Doesnā€™t it still do what it did when you bought it?

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
I only like the desert titanium colour, otherwise I've got no need to buy the 16 or 16 Pro.

My 15 Pro is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Matthew.H

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
But do we have independent tests that confirm this? I still have my 5 year old 4G LTE XR and that battery (showing 84% health) still lasts me all day. I don't want to go backwards on that due to battery sucking and useless AI. As an aside, I recall when the 15 came out last year everyone was saying wait for the 16 for major upgrades. So I did. And here we are again with lame incrementalism. LOL. Although I really need to get a 5G and want better cameras so I will probably get one. But first, I will have a deep look at the Androids. I haven't had one of those since I had a Galaxy S3.

I agree I think the battery life was understated in that presentation and shouldā€™ve been a focus

Last edited:

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Sad reality, regardless of what Apple announces, people will come to this board to complain over and over...and about every little thing.

You don't like what they announced, don't buy it and buy a competitors product.

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
If you're watching the 16 Pro segment and thinking 'this product isn't for me' then there is a good chance it isn't. Unlike others who just use Pro as a piece of branding, Apple seems to be actually adding professional features to its top-level phones to differentiate them in much the same way it does with its laptops.

Discounting the 5x camera for a second there isn't really a reason for the average buyer to have anything more than the base 16. This year it finally has macro, PS4 gaming and full AI. Its the equivalent of the 15 Pro in an arguably nicer-looking chassis.

I'd consider myself an enthusiast but I see no reason to buy the Pro model at all. The price difference alone would pay for an old DSLR and a 200mm lens that would take nicer shots than the Max 5x anyway.

TVreporter

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I can understand being annoyed by that, but is it really useless, now? Doesnā€™t it still do what it did when you bought it?
Sure but they've made selling it much tougher once word of the AI features gets out. Us as loyal followers of every tidbit of Apple are a tiny minority.

Just disappointed as I now regret not stretching the wallet a bit more for the Pro.

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
Seems like these post happen every year. This and screen is more green or pink the last years. If you are unhappy with what apple showed then move on to something else that you think will make you happy. This time next year you will be making a post about how you coming back to iphone.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Apple can only rest on former glory for so long. I think this might be itā€¦ itā€™s still a good device, but itā€™s not really ā€œbetterā€ than say a 15, 14 or 13. Perhaps even 12!

And people will always buy an iPhone for the first time and be happy for a multitude of reasons.

But anyone coming from a 12-15 will be ā€œdisappointedā€ as,theyā€™ve spent a lot of money and itā€™s basically ā€œidenticalā€ to what they had. Eventually people will start thinking why am I paying this much again?

So, letā€™s not start a schoolyard fight here, butā€¦

A) I predict the 16/16 Pro will be their lowest volume phone in last 5-6 generations
B) People who do buy it will not be satisfied enough compared to how much they spent
C) AI will be exciting, but it wonā€™t give enough ROI for the customers that it it will make the purchase satisfactory (AI will need iOS 18, 19 and 20 before it is valuable for the customer, by then it will be an expected function not a bonus function

Yup it happens every year and I sadly got in trouble with the mods here for making a topic about it. But in short there will be people who upgrade yearly who will have buyers remorse once the "shiny new toy" factor wears off in the first two weeks. Then there will be topics with them angry at Apple for not having enough new features.

The iPhone 16 models are really targeted towards everyone who has a iPhone 14 or older given the fact that the big thing is Apple Intelligence and it's only coming to 15 pro models and all of the 16 models.

Reactions: Kronsteen

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I have a 15 Plus so I had no intention of getting a new phone this year anyways but I'm disappointed in the new Pro phones. They still have the flat sides with sharp edges that will dig into your hand every time you hold the phone. Plus, they increased the weight of the 16 Pro by a lot instead of decreasing the weight or keeping it the same as the 15 Pro.

I would like to get a 17 Pro but only if they get the weight down considerably and round the edges so its not uncomfortable to hold like the current phones. I already have a phone that is uncomfortable to hold, why would I spend money on a new phone that has the same problems?

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.