Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
You maybe right. Luckily my VW Golf is petrol!
Diesel is for tanks and taxis!

Well, maybe yes, maybe no. Next month my stable will be all petrol. My 12 JSW TDi is scheduled for turn in late February. I'll miss it's mpg (40) day in and day out even though I had a Malone 1.5 tune on it and it was lowered and running wide 18"s. Very usable, I don't understand why more 'Mericans don't drive wagons. Lots of nice MB's, BMW wagons and of course the proverbial Subes. Anyway, will still have a wagon...wife's 2010 Passat Wagon when we need one. Course when we want to do a bit of traveling it'll be the S4. Cheers

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looks like no rescue for Manor racing. Unless something happens quickly they won't be on the grid. Sad for everyone who works there and their families.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I hope the new owners can figure out a way to get funds distributed more evenly and also get a budget cap, initially I was not a fan of the idea but my views are definitely changing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hope the new owners can figure out a way to get funds distributed more evenly and also get a budget cap, initially I was not a fan of the idea but my views are definitely changing.
Budget cap? Not sure that's a good thing. This is the premium driving series in the world. Do we really want it limited by budget? Plus teams always find a way to cheat the system.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
Budget cap? Not sure that's a good thing. This is the premium driving series in the world. Do we really want it limited by budget? Plus teams always find a way to cheat the system.

I was not a fan of it at all; but seeing teams run out of funds and realising that some mid teams will be forever mid teams as they don't have the development funds, makes me want to see a change.

Teams will try and cheat it no doubt, but that's not a reason not to implement it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was not a fan of it at all; but seeing teams run out of funds and realising that some mid teams will be forever mid teams as they don't have the development funds, makes me want to see a change.

Teams will try and cheat it no doubt, but that's not a reason not to implement it.
Ferrari will always have more money than Force India. Just like Manchester United have more money than Leicester city.

Can't change that. But should we try and limit the sport by having a budget cap? No I don't think so. Lets see what they can do with a bigger budget.
Honda and Renault won't be hampered by stupid engine tokens this year. So if they throw enough money at it, they can catch Mercedes.

Reactions: pachyderm

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
Ferrari will always have more money than Force India. Just like Manchester United have more money than Leicester city.

Can't change that. But should we try and limit the sport by having a budget cap? No I don't think so. Lets see what they can do with a bigger budget.
Honda and Renault won't be hampered by stupid engine tokens this year. So if they throw enough money at it, they can catch Mercedes.

I have no problem with Mercedes domination, it's usual for a team to dominate for a while, my concern is that F1 will 'dry itself out' as the cost is off putting.

When VW, BMW, Toyota and Jaguar mention cost of F1 being a reason for opting away, you have to believe they're not just whinging.

You're right Ferrari, Mclaren, Redbull and Mercedes will always have more cash than the rest but (hopefully not) we don't want them to be the only teams in the sport in future, otherwise we may have to opt for Bernie's suggestion of three car teams.

A budget cap will close areas on one team and open it up for others (which areas do we chuck the cash at), it could also give midfield teams a chance to actually win a WCC.

My feeling was like yours, it will hamper development, F1 will lose its glamour, best drivers will go elsewhere and the usual suspects will cheat it but now; not so much.

We don't know how much a budget cap will impact development, as all teams will be in a similar position unless they skimp elsewhere.

We know F1 viewing numbers are at there lowest since 2006, the thought is once F1 is fully behind a paywall the numbers are most likely to drop further (personally, I'm not getting Sky for F1, happy enough with FE).

Drop in viewers, could result in a drop in sponsorships available etc.

Football is not my thing, so I can't comment on your football analogy.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
- 1 @Three141

Two or three teams vying for wins would please me.

1 team parades are boring.
Yes even two teams with 4 potential winners is enough to make it interesting. At least last season the two Mercs were racing each other.
Better than the dark old days of you will follow the number 1 driver around even if your faster!

I'd like to see the cars much closer (we all would), but one team always seems to have the edge for a year or two. But by allowing them to spend what they need you let the others catch up. Otherwise even if they know what they need to do mid season they have to wait until next to do it as they have already spent this years money.

Reactions: pachyderm

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
- 1 @Three141

Two or three teams vying for wins would please me.

1 team parades are boring.

As would I! Make no mistake about that.

Me saying I am use to seeing one team dominate was more to point out, my change towards budget caps is not because of Mercedes doing an excellent job.

Put it this way; whether it was Ferrari/Schumi, Redbull/Vettel, Brawn/Button or Mercedes/Hamilton&Rosberg it is not their fault they done better than the competition, teams dominating for a period is nothing new.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I would absolutely be in favour of a budget cap. So what if teams can spend as much as they want and Honda and Renault "catch" Mercedes. Mercedes will just throw more money and they'll be a second per lap ahead once again. That's the old model of sporting. Right now, take a look at North American sports and what they've been able to do with salary caps, levelling out the playing field, and making for a more competitive playoff race. Ratings have gone through the roof.

I guarantee Liberty will implement something like this because the way they run the sport now is boring as all hell. Teams dominating for periods of time is killing the sport. In the past it worked because reliability often threw a wrench into the results but nowadays the (good) cars are almost bullet proof. The show has to be that any given team can win on any given Sunday. To attract viewers, it can't be either Rosberg or Hamilton that wins every weekend. Next year, it's what? Hamilton winning 75% of the time, sprinkled in with a little Bottas when Hamilton parties too much and isn't 100% focussed.

I understand that people think F1 has always been this way, but what's more important to understand is that model no longer works in today's world. In fact, it hasn't worked for a good many years now. The balance of sport is attracting new fans to an exciting spectacle while appreciating the sports history. New fans are not attracted to the sport the way it is now and that's the biggest challenge they are facing going forward.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I would absolutely be in favour of a budget cap. So what if teams can spend as much as they want and Honda and Renault "catch" Mercedes. Mercedes will just throw more money and they'll be a second per lap ahead once again. That's the old model of sporting. Right now, take a look at North American sports and what they've been able to do with salary caps, levelling out the playing field, and making for a more competitive playoff race. Ratings have gone through the roof.

I guarantee Liberty will implement something like this because the way they run the sport now is boring as all hell. Teams dominating for periods of time is killing the sport. In the past it worked because reliability often threw a wrench into the results but nowadays the (good) cars are almost bullet proof. The show has to be that any given team can win on any given Sunday. To attract viewers, it can't be either Rosberg or Hamilton that wins every weekend. Next year, it's what? Hamilton winning 75% of the time, sprinkled in with a little Bottas when Hamilton parties too much and isn't 100% focussed.

I understand that people think F1 has always been this way, but what's more important to understand is that model no longer works in today's world. In fact, it hasn't worked for a good many years now. The balance of sport is attracting new fans to an exciting spectacle while appreciating the sports history. New fans are not attracted to the sport the way it is now and that's the biggest challenge they are facing going forward.

up until the late 80's it was kinda wide open. i hope we see that again, soon.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
IMG_3149.PNG
Williams car has been teased online. Looking good.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
up until the late 80's it was kinda wide open. i hope we see that again, soon.
I think a reasonable compromise might be profit sharing combined with a spending floor. That is to say, every team HAS to spend $x on development, but if Ferrari, McLaren, and Mercedes make insane profits, they must share in order to enable other racing teams to compete.

I understand, by the way, that this might cause Ferrari to leave, but if they could entice a brand like Chevy, Ford, you might actually get some traction in the US. Problem is, right now, owning a team is far too expensive and there is just no incentive for a company like Ford, GM to get involved.

Reactions: BenTrovato

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Sauber

t6XRaKC.png

[doublepost=1487590987][/doublepost]
x2mpGY8.png

[doublepost=1487591049][/doublepost]
IMKZ1Yq.png

and why are the shark fins coming back...? do they have to have them?

also, just my opinion but, this is an ugly livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.