Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm calling the livery contest for Toro Rosso.

Maybe it's because I care about this stuff, but it annoys me that the blue in STR uniforms doesn't match the car color.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm calling the livery contest for Toro Rosso.

Maybe it's because I care about this stuff, but it annoys me that the blue in STR uniforms doesn't match the car color.

lol. i agree. their kit needs to match the car.
[doublepost=1488282627][/doublepost]also, as for the livery, it's them or williams for me.

crispApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 89

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
it looks like it was attacked by a giant orange starfish ...
I think they spent the winter on the paint job and forgot to develop the engine!

So having been watching F1 for most of my life, I'm too long in the tooth to draw too many conclusions from the testing this week. Ferrari looked to have leap frogged RBR, but I suspect the Mercs have plenty in reserve.

Roll on Australia!

crispApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
it looks like it was attacked by a giant orange starfish ...

Well **** maybe it was?
[doublepost=1488580317][/doublepost]
I think they spent the winter on the paint job and forgot to develop the engine!

So having been watching F1 for most of my life, I'm too long in the tooth to draw too many conclusions from the testing this week. Ferrari looked to have leap frogged RBR, but I suspect the Mercs have plenty in reserve.

Roll on Australia!

To be honest though Renault have had more issues than mclaren-Honda. But the coverage wasn't focused on that nearly as much as mclaren. Funny how that works. Also toro Rosso replaced an engine as well yesterday. So that's why testing is important to all the teams. Not just to criticize one team in my opinion.

DhobiWanKenobi

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
If I remember rightly as well, last year in testing Mercedes put in a lot of miles based mostly on reliability testing, without a hitch. Then as we know they went on to have a number of reliability issues throughout the season, so it's difficult to draw too many conclusions at this point.

On the McLaren livery, not a fan myself, although I like the simple liveries such as Williams and Mercedes.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
More woes for McLean who have already gone through 5 engines in testing.

Meanwhile Massa tops the standings in the Williams.
The Mercedes were quite a bit down. 4th and 5th. Hamilton only ran in the morning and had some damage to his floor. He was quoted as saying Ferrari might be quicker than them in Australia.
Hopefully RBR, Williams and Ferrari are all close to Mercedes. But I doubt it.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Looking forward to testing this week. Hope we see a closer field. Of course it might appear that way, just to find out the Mercs are running at 75%!

Looks like the Prancing Horse has it together. Hopefully Kimi's final numbers were not a fluke and Merc is not sandbagging. I'm not convinced that 75% number is real. Maybe they are just trying to psych out Ferrari or maybe there is a problem with their engine. I had hope for Red Bull but it sounds like the Renault is as fragile as the Honda.

They've all got a very angular nose, which I'm not sure I like.

That's a requirement of the rules. Someone decided the nose had to be lower so they would not skewer or decapitate the other driver in a t-bone collision. Flipping the other car like a hot pancake OTOH...

That orange on the mcclaren is ugly. Looks muddy instead of bright. Yugh! Be interesting to see what the benefit of the "vestigal" wing on the Ferrari and the Mercedes. Sahara at least has a good paint job. The Renault, interesting and at least we'll be able to pick it out easily. The Merc has the best paint scheme...as usual. Can't wait for the first race but I fear that this season like the ones before will be a Merc parade with no one else in the mix and no passing. I hope I'm wrong.

Paint is funny. I once read that the cars were designed to look best moving about 75 mph around a corner on HDTV. I don't think pictures viewed posted on a webpage will ever do the cars justice. I have to admit I was looking forward to the return to roots color but I wanted the whole machine orange.

FWIW
DLM

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
RB13

17203026_10208022527871292_4503720725215566066_n.jpg

17103613_10208022528911318_6197382512677091152_n.jpg

nice looking car...
[doublepost=1489193296][/doublepost]I've been to a small handful of the official sites and I have to say that RedBull, and Torro Rosso, while very similar(no duh), were the best so far.

Haas was ok.

McLaren was meh and confusing to me, Williams too. :(
Ferrari not better.

[doublepost=1489193382][/doublepost]RIP John Surtees ...
17200961_10208022599793090_7389793706776762512_n.jpg

Last edited:

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I hate practice season. We have no idea what any of the results mean.

It means that Merc and Ferrari are fast and seemingly reliable. McLaren....well, they are going to have an ugly season. I wish they would just let Alonso go so he could get into a competitive car for a change.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
me too...
But where would that be? He's not going back to Ferrari and Mercedes don't want him.

I'd argue that RBR are already sitting on two exciting drivers. They also clearly have a young drivers policy promoting through the junior team.

Williams might have been better for him, but maybe he's still hoping Honda get it together.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
But where would that be? He's not going back to Ferrari and Mercedes don't want him.

I'd argue that RBR are already sitting on two exciting drivers. They also clearly have a young drivers policy promoting through the junior team.

Williams might have been better for him, but maybe he's still hoping Honda get it together.

yup. yer right. there is no good answer. love to see him at williams.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So it begins. And all the talk and advertising campaign (no longer a one horse race etc.), looks to be wishful thinking.
Half a second clear of everyone else Lewis seems to be in control. If the engine reliability that plagued him last season has gone, it will be business as usual.
All the talk of Ferrari being favourites must have been some kind of in joke.

At least Alonso seemed to pick up where he left off last season with 12th.
But whether that Honda engine will last a full race seems doubtful.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So it begins. And all the talk and advertising campaign (no longer a one horse race etc.), looks to be wishful thinking.
Half a second clear of everyone else Lewis seems to be in control. If the engine reliability that plagued him last season has gone, it will be business as usual.
All the talk of Ferrari being favourites must have been some kind of in joke.

At least Alonso seemed to pick up where he left off last season with 12th.
But whether that Honda engine will last a full race seems doubtful.

wow.

who said ferrari were favorites?

i don't think anyone, anywhere is surprised at all.

as always you give way to much credit to lewie.

the car makes the difference. not lewie. not rico.

you seem to enjoy parades, if you don't already live here, you should come live in america. we have a parade every other week for some such nonsense.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
wow.

who said ferrari were favorites?

i don't think anyone, anywhere is surprised at all.

as always you give way to much credit to lewie.

the car makes the difference. not lewie. not rico.

you seem to enjoy parades, if you don't already live here, you should come live in america. we have a parade every other week for some such nonsense.
Lewis did. Mind games I reckon.
Not sure how I'm giving too much credit to Lewis. He is half a second faster than the next guy which is an age in F1. Yes the car makes a difference, but how many titles would Prost, Senna, Schumacher or Vettel have won in a lesser car?
We all want to see 2 or 3 teams battle it out for the title, but having been watching for most of my life I can only recall a few seasons when that was ever the case.
There has always been a best car to be in.
Sadly the rule changes don't seem to have helped with that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

As for living in the US? I'll pass thanks. Nascar isn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.