Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Ferrari have done well on a track that usually suits Mercedes.
I think this says a lot about the season to come.
The problem is we know Mercedes are rubbish at following another car, so for the race this doesn't sound good.
I expect Ferrari to drive off in front and Mercedes to be a distant third/fourth.

But you never know. Also Lewis and Max together on the grid could be fun!

No question Ferrari has an extra step in their engine packege. I’m surprised a bit. The engine was not where I was expecting Ferrari to take it to them in such a strong manner. Now if we could just bring back the sound of the 412T1. ;)

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lewis the Man Child with his typical adult reaction pulling into the pit on his last lap.

Brundle thought he might have over-cooked it into the previous hairpin and therefore had lost so much time he knew he could not improve his position.

Given that when they were together he out performed Vettel at RBR, I can't see Vettel allowing that to happen.

Well if Seb can win his 5th WDC, he'll likely either retire or not be bothered if Daniel then arrives and wins his 1st.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Brundle thought he might have over-cooked it into the previous hairpin and therefore had lost so much time he knew he could not improve his position.

Well if Seb can win his 4th or even 5th WDC, he'll likely either retire or not be bothered if Daniel then arrives and wins his 1st.

Also interested to see for the second race weekend there were no commercials on the ESPN feed for qualifying (and perhaps the race tonight?). I know this is not altruism by ESPN, but instead FOM paying them for an uninterrupted broadcast. I wonder if this is FOM trying to preview US audiences for what a future commercial-free F1 streaming service would look like.
He was also slower in the first two sectors.

Not sure about Vettel retiring. After all does he do anything outside of racing?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
He was also slower in the first two sectors.

Not sure about Vettel retiring. After all does he do anything outside of racing?

Good question. He is the most private driver in F1 today. I've read he spends a lot of time simply relaxing at home. Never anything outside F1 on his social media that I've seen. :apple:
[doublepost=1523729754][/doublepost]

Well if Seb can win his 4th or even 5th WDC, he'll likely either retire or not be bothered if Daniel then arrives and wins his 1st.

Also interested to see for the second race weekend there were no commercials on the ESPN feed for qualifying (and perhaps the race tonight?). I know this is not altruism by ESPN, but instead FOM paying them for an uninterrupted broadcast. I wonder if this is FOM trying to preview US audiences for what a future commercial-free F1 streaming service would look like.

This would be Seb's 5th title if he were to win this year, yes? I don't see him leaving Ferrari if he were to win this year. I must admit, I'd love to see Fernando, and Daniel at Ferrari. Even with his great performance so far Kimi seems resolved that he will not be back in F1 next year regardless of his finish. There has been a huge increase of family time images on his social media. I think he is ready to step aside. :apple:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
This would be Seb's 5th title if he were to win this year, yes?

Yes it would. Been awhile since his last so i had forgotten he already had four under his belt. :D

I don't see him leaving Ferrari if he were to win this year. I must admit, I'd love to see Fernando, and Daniel at Ferrari. Even with his great performance so far Kimi seems resolved that he will not be back in F1 next year regardless of his finish. There has been a huge increase of family time images on his social media. I think he is ready to step aside. :apple:

Ferrari seems to only care about the WDC so I agree they would not really care for a strong #2 who can help them also win the WCC, preferring a #2 who can support the #1 to the WDC.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
wow! MadMax is a fitting nickname for sure.

Slept through this one.

Seems as though it was pretty entertaining.

I looked at the schedule and saw that it started at 0200 with a replay at 2100, so you're in luck. Not a bad race. I really disliked the move Vettel put on Kimi at the start. As usual it allows the 3rd place car to pass #2 so Ferrari was split and went downhill from there. Gotta hand it to Red Bull, quick thinking on the pits. You know, there's one thing you can count on and that's Max making a bonehead move and screwing someone out of the race. When is he going to learn?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Congratulations to Daniel. A well deserved win for an all around great person. F1 needs to suspend Max. He needs to go back to Karts. No place in F1 for such and intentionally reckless out of control child. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I love F1. It throws you such a curve ball.

Was expecting a dull Ferrari 1-2. How wrong was I? Yes the SC helped decide the results (as it did in Australia), but RBR had the strategy to change tyres. Lewis was with them on track so could have done the same.
Bad planning from Mercedes.

And Max needs to think about his passing.
I think RBR were on for the 1-2 today. But Max didn't deliver.
Really happy for Daniel. He comes across as a really nice guy.
Will we see him in a Ferrari next year? Could be fun.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Woohooooooo Lady Luck and damn clever quick thinking was shining on Red Bull today! Max was far too keen, he needs to get some more experience and learn patience, and stop hitting everyone.
But Danny the overtaking God proved once again why he has that title! A bit of a boring race that lit up in the second half!

And Torro Rosso..... that Pierre bloke what was he thinking?

Max excluded, team and driver of the day for me was Dan and Red Bull! I see HAAS did well too.
[doublepost=1523808474][/doublepost]Ok, so discussions on Mercedes, because once again Botas has beaten Lewis by quit a bit, with the same car and tyres...? Hmmm is Botas the Mercedes driver this year? It seems so far this year any bad decisions they make affect Lewis a lot more then Botas?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
^^Lewis hasn't run well this year. His qualifying was brutal and he binned the final Q3 lap. He's better than Bottas, but as usual, he can't get out of his own way.

The only thing I think we can say for sure is Ferrari has the best all-around car this year.

Reactions: Glideslope

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Ah just saw Vettel went and had a chat with Max, perhaps he offered some words of wisdom and experience? So it’s good they’ve cleared it up. But Vettell did say it can happen to anyone in the interview, he also said Max is not young anymore as he’s done a few seasons now.

Trouble is you want that exciting attacking, but Max needs to be more careful where he chooses to do that. I remember Lewis was a bit reckless when he started.

If it wasn’t for the safety car today though it may have been a boring race?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ah just saw Vettel went and had a chat with Max, perhaps he offered some words of wisdom and experience? So it’s good they’ve cleared it up. But Vettell did say it can happen to anyone in the interview, he also said Max is not young anymore as he’s done a few seasons now.

Trouble is you want that exciting attacking, but Max needs to be more careful where he chooses to do that. I remember Lewis was a bit reckless when he started.

If it wasn’t for the safety car today though it may have been a boring race?
It certainly was a race of two halves.

I thought it was good Vettel spoke to Max. But at some point Max has got to learn the fastest way is not always full throttle.
A bit of patience today and he could have had the win. But another moment of madness and he's not even on the steps.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It's a combination of Bottas, Daniel, Seb, Kimi, and Mad Max. They are all in his head. Not a good place for Lewis. Standard MO for him. It will go down hill from here. :apple:
[doublepost=1523812020][/doublepost]

I thought it was good Vettel spoke to Max. But at some point Max has got to learn the fastest way is not always full throttle.
A bit of patience today and he could have had the win. But another moment of madness and he's not even on the steps.

Profound lack of maturity. :apple:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
^^Lewis hasn't run well this year. His qualifying was brutal and he binned the final Q3 lap. He's better than Bottas, but as usual, he can't get out of his own way.

The only thing I think we can say for sure is Ferrari has the best all-around car this year.

I think Lewis has, it’s his team that haven’t? With their strategy.

Yeah, I would imagine that the other drivers give him words if expierience really, try to point out what can happen, but they probably all know they’ve been there themselves with that hunger and being young.

Profound lack of maturity. :apple:

Not really, remember Dan is only 28! Max is a mature chap in a lot of regards when he talks about racing, he just needs to learn patience, he really needs to look up to Dan with overtaking. Many other drivers have been there and grown in great drivers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.