Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think Max expected the Ferrari to go wide (Seb was looking a bit ragged on those tires), but Seb was able to hook up the car and make the corner, which resulted in the mutual spin. Still, Max was in the wrong and the 10 second penalty was appropriate, IMO.

Once again, strategy plays a role in Ferrari's misfortune - both during the initial round of pit stops (too late) and during the safety car (not bringing in Kimi). Mercedes also muffed not bringing in Lewis during the SC. Seb also did himself no favors by chopping off Kimi, losing a supporting wingman early on that could have helped keep Bottas behind him.

And perhaps a bit ironic that with all the discussion about slowing down a pit stop to make sure everything is okay before release, Seb's was a few tenths slower than Valtteri's and that was the difference in Bottas making the undercut and passing him for the lead.

So Lewis cuts Seb's lead in half and now Bottas puts himself into contention, as well. Ferrari has looked stronger than Mercedes these past three races, but it remains to be seen if this is just a fluke or the start of a trend.

Reactions: apolloa

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
My takeaways from China:
  • Ferarri's #1 driver philosophy hurts the team too much. Raikkonen is on form this year, he could be challenging for race wins, especially when something happens to Vettel. Using him as a Mercedes roadblock, doesn't help the team
  • Ricciardo really impressed me today, and I expect Max to grow up a lot after this latest incident. Time to turn into a real driver
  • Big kudos to Red Bull for being the only team to put on the softs during the safety car while Ferrari and Mercedes just sat there
  • Not really impressed with what Mercedes is doing this year and yet Hamilton is only 9 points behind Vettel who has 2 wins.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Not really, remember Dan is only 28! Max is a mature chap in a lot of regards when he talks about racing, he just needs to learn patience, he really needs to look up to Dan with overtaking. Many other drivers have been there and grown in great drivers :)

I don't see that. Max has a self destructive style. No doubt he is a skilled driver with youth and desire. He simply does not learn from his mistakes. He repeats the same miscalculations over and over. He has had the seat time, it's a psychological issue. IMO, Max may never see his full potential due to his inability to manage his risk taking skills. Seb was very gracious in his comments. I doubt the after race conversation was about wanting to be a role model for Max. The paddock has already made up their mind on Max. I see him as nothing than another more skilled Kvyat on a contending team. :apple:

Todays quote says it all. Niki Lauda on the Vettel incident: " Max is fully to blame for the accident. Seems like reason doesn't get through to him.You normally rise with your mistakes. But he's getting even smaller. In this case it also seems to be a question of intelligence."

Last edited:
Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I don't see that. Max has a self destructive style. No doubt he is a skilled driver with youth and desire. He simply does not learn from his mistakes. He repeats the same miscalculations over and over. He has had the seat time, it's a psychological issue. IMO, Max may never see his full potential due to his inability to manage his risk taking skills. Seb was very gracious in his comments. I doubt the after race conversation was about wanting to be a role model for Max. The paddock has already made up their mind on Max. I see him as nothing than another more skilled Kvyat on a contending team. :apple:

Todays quote says it all. Niki Lauda on the Vettel incident: " Max is fully to blame for the accident. Seems like reason doesn't get through to him.You normally rise with your mistakes. But he's getting even smaller. In this case it also seems to be a question of intelligence."

I think for Max, he’s never had to face everyone talking about him being an irresponsible driver. Before, some people welcomed his wreck less abandon because it brought good entertainment. I liked it. After today, he’s on the other end of it. So we’ll see what happens - he’s either going to get a lot better or just more of the same.

Today was absolutely horrible. He had second place locked up and he dove into a car he was about to pass anyway.

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I agree he may never live up to the hype. He has to learn from these mistakes and change his driving style, or find himself loosing places or not finishing races more often.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Today was absolutely horrible. He had second place locked up and he dove into a car he was about to pass anyway.

He had first place locked up and then tried a stupid move around Hamilton. He then had second place locked up and screwed up again. Many more days out like that and he'll be lucky to keep a seat at Red Bull, and certainly won't be driving a red or silver car.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

So they are calling him stupid now? If I went digging I’m more then certain I’ll find PLENTY of incidents of a young Lewis or Seb hitting people. People seemed to have forgotten that, Max is probably the youngest driver in a front running team, he’s not got there by fluke. All the other young drivers are lower down the field and crash just as much.

Seb also would not have gone and swore his head of at Max, that’s not professional, he will have pointed out where he went wrong highlighting his mistake to try and make him learn, the constructive critisicm that you have in all workplaces.

I’m not apologising for him, I just think people need to remember who else has been the same that are now at the front.
What if Lewis hit Seb? People would claim it a ‘racing incident’ because of bias as he now crashes less.

Max will learn, but event Nico on Sky F1 said F1 drivers are pig headed and it takes them a while to learn from their mistakes.

I mean if he doesn’t eventually learn his contract won’t be renewed and he’ll eitjer have to settle on a lower team or quit the sport.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So they are calling him stupid now? If I went digging I’m more then certain I’ll find PLENTY of incidents of a young Lewis or Seb hitting people. People seemed to have forgotten that, Max is probably the youngest driver in a front running team, he’s not got there by fluke. All the other young drivers are lower down the field and crash just as much.

Seb also would not have gone and swore his head of at Max, that’s not professional, he will have pointed out where he went wrong highlighting his mistake to try and make him learn, the constructive critisicm that you have in all workplaces.

I’m not apologising for him, I just think people need to remember who else has been the same that are now at the front.
What if Lewis hit Seb? People would claim it a ‘racing incident’ because of bias as he now crashes less.

Max will learn, but event Nico on Sky F1 said F1 drivers are pig headed and it takes them a while to learn from their mistakes.

I mean if he doesn’t eventually learn his contract won’t be renewed and he’ll eitjer have to settle on a lower team or quit the sport.
After 63 race starts, Max is no longer a rookie.
Compare Lewis and Seb after the same amount of Grand Prix's.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
After 63 race starts, Max is no longer a rookie.
Compare Lewis and Seb after the same amount of Grand Prix's.

Here’s one compilation, Lewis wasn’t very good at keeping his car on the track.

This is an epic video of ONE race and all it’s crashes and excitement, and IMO the best sexiest F1 car of all time, the 2010 Red Bull, gorgeous colours.... weren’t they V10’s back then too?

Seems it won’t play here embedded, click the link to watch on You Tube.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Vettel had a calm conversation with Mad Max after the race. There was no yelling. ;)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Na. No cars with fenders for Mad Max. Even more destruction. He needs to go back to the WKA where he can feel the consequences of his actions. :apple:

Actually he has felt the consequences, because it’s not widely reported but they get points for their crashes, he now has 5.

http://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135423/fia-expects-more-caution-from-verstappen-now

If you get 12 you have a 1 race ban.
This is also a good write up on people’s opinions:

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/f1/news/12433/11332093/max-verstappen-takes-blame-for-sebastian-vettel-chinese-gp-crash

Reactions: pachyderm

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Hay at least Max is brightening things up for us, the viewer.

Definitely, but I’m still glad I bet on Max AND Dan to come second this year haha!
I find it a bit pathetic about these outspoken drivers attacking Mercedes and Lewis though because they haven’t won! F1 is a marathon and NEVER a race, yet apparently they’ve fallen to pieces and are doomed to lose already... yeah right.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Actually he has felt the consequences, because it’s not widely reported but they get points for their crashes, he now has 5.

http://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135423/fia-expects-more-caution-from-verstappen-now

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/f1/news/12433/11332093/max-verstappen-takes-blame-for-sebastian-vettel-chinese-gp-crash

Actually, I was more in the direction of broken limbs. :apple:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Yeah.

He's a mess this season.

IMHO he comes off as out of control and desperate.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Opinions on the 2019 Rules Changes, and 2021 engine changes?

I like fuel going to 110kg. Full power all race. Bio Metric Gloves will be interesting to see if drivers have issues with steering wheel sensitivity.

I see the American Ownership is starting to show. Drivers weight no longer part of the total weight (cheeseburgers.) No more Energy Recovery System after 2020. Prolly not an issue performance wise with full fuel delivery all race coming up. Unfortunate though, due to that technology will no longer trickling down to the common folks automobiles. :apple:

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I see the American Ownership is starting to show. Drivers weight no longer part of the total weight (cheeseburgers.) No more Energy Recovery System after 2020. Prolly not an issue performance wise with full fuel delivery all race coming up. Unfortunate though, due to that technology will no longer trickling down to the common folks automobiles. :apple:

Honestly, the only vehicles getting KERS-type systems were high-performance vehicles (like the Ferrari 599 HY KERS concept and La Ferrari) due to the expense and complexity of the systems. Almost all consumer-grade hybrids use much more conventional (and cheaper) systems. So F1 losing it likely won't have any real impact when you consider how many car companies not in F1 or WRC have hybrids. :D

As for not including the driver weight, I don't think that means we're going to see "American Stig" behind the wheel of an F1 car down the road, but it will mean that drivers can carry an extra bit of muscle weight (which if anything will improve performance due to better endurance).

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Honestly, the only vehicles getting KERS-type systems were high-performance vehicles (like the Ferrari 599 HY KERS concept and La Ferrari) due to the expense and complexity of the systems. Almost all consumer-grade hybrids use much more conventional (and cheaper) systems. So F1 losing it likely won't have any real impact when you consider how many car companies not in F1 or WRC have hybrids. :D

As for not including the driver weight, I don't think that means we're going to see "American Stig" behind the wheel of an F1 car down the road, but it will mean that drivers can carry an extra bit of muscle weight (which if anything will improve performance due to better endurance).

On the other hand, Kimi credits his performance this year to "Un-Bulking Muscle", and dropping 20 lbs. Has helped his back tremendously, according to him. Never underestimate F1 derived regenerative technology that makes it's way to consumers. It does not always apply to passing on the front straight. :rolleyes:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
On the other hand, Kimi credits his performance this year to "Un-Bulking Muscle", and dropping 20 lbs. Has helped his back tremendously, according to him. Never underestimate F1 derived regenerative technology that makes it's way to consumers. It does not always apply to passing on the front straight. :rolleyes:

I like how Kimi has opened up his social media and there are lots of videos of him training and being in the simulator. Dropping 20 was a big deal. Looking forward to him winning a race this season!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I like how Kimi has opened up his social media and there are lots of videos of him training and being in the simulator. Dropping 20 was a big deal. Looking forward to him winning a race this season!

Agreed. This was a big surprise for for me as well this season. I only follow him on Instagram. I don't use Facebook, or Twitter. Quite an emphasis on the family side of Kimi. People always think of him as what they see in the paddock. He is a different person at home with his family. IMO, his family is why I think he will not return in 2019. One never knows, but when someone like Kimi starts sharing his family moments on social media it means something other than simply, "hey look at my family." :apple:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
it would be nice to kimi win a few for sure.

p.s. do any of you post at prosprtsdaily.com ? their forums page is down. just wondering if anyone had a bede on what was happening?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.