Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
So apparently Kimi received the green light when the 3 other lugs were tightened. Since the L rear was never loosened the system considered it all 4.

If they can’t change this, they need to bring back the Lolipop. :apple:
[doublepost=1523222341][/doublepost]

2020 at the earliest. :apple:

Sorry for being a bit late to this but there is more to the "green light" deal than automated sensors. Check out Marc Priestley's video:

If the YouTube link doesn't work, search on:

MP67 - Why F1 doesn't need a knee jerk reaction to Ferrari's pitstop accident

At the end of the day, it sounds like the left rear gun-man messed up and the head mechanic (who would have been the lollipop man) didn't see what was going on.

Marc spent a large chunk of his carrier as a mechanic (and then head mechanic) with McLaren.

His videos are always informative.

FWIW
DLM

[doublepost=1523450151][/doublepost]
I did find Kimi's seemingly compassionless walk back and lack of concern for the man he just ran over rather disturbing, anyone else?

<snip>

[doublepost=1523269383][/doublepost]oops. I just realized that I missed almost two whole pages of this discussion... my bad.

This "pin-the-tail-on-Kimi" train is more than a little irrational. What exactly would anyone have him do? The team and medics were all over the mechanic giving aid. Should Kimi have barged through them all to have a look? The best thing for him to do is not be a distraction to those giving aid.

Could he have been a little more compassionate in the pen? Maybe, but that's not Kimi. And we don't know how much he knew about what had actually happened to the mechanic. Remember there are very specific rules and timelines for the drivers on getting to the interview pen after they are out of a race. As a matter of fact, Seb had to get a wavier from FOM to delay his interview to find out what happened (he was not told during the race.)

FWIW
DLM

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Sorry for being a bit late to this but there is more to the "green light" deal than automated sensors. Check out Marc Priestley's video:

If the YouTube link doesn't work, search on:

MP67 - Why F1 doesn't need a knee jerk reaction to Ferrari's pitstop accident

At the end of the day, it sounds like the left rear gun-man messed up and the head mechanic (who would have been the lollipop man) didn't see what was going on.

Marc spent a large chunk of his carrier as a mechanic (and then head mechanic) with McLaren.

His videos are always informative.

FWIW
DLM

No one is calling for a knee jerk reaction, just action like bringing back the lollipop for better safety, what’s the point in introducing things like the halo if you increase the risk of running over your mechanics?
I suspect most people would also rather see overtaking as opposed to pit stop strategies for positions to be gained.

However if the head mechanic or whoever can’t see everyone is clear, they should not release the car and ‘presume’ they are all clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Good video.. kinda tiring he explains the same thing over and over but if you've never seen it, really informative.

I disagree with his views though. I dislike the fully automated system and I don't marvel at it. I would rather they had more incidents (not mechanic accidents) where tires were delayed or a human has to make sure all 4 tires are ready to go instead of the lighting system telling the driver to go.

If everything goes right today, a pitstop is done in 2.1 seconds. I would rather there was a human element involved where the average time is closer to 3.5 seconds, and if you nail a sub 3 second stop, the world is wowed.

Reactions: Glideslope

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Good video.. kinda tiring he explains the same thing over and over but if you've never seen it, really informative.

I disagree with his views though. I dislike the fully automated system and I don't marvel at it. I would rather they had more incidents (not mechanic accidents) where tires were delayed or a human has to make sure all 4 tires are ready to go instead of the lighting system telling the driver to go.

If everything goes right today, a pitstop is done in 2.1 seconds. I would rather there was a human element involved where the average time is closer to 3.5 seconds, and if you nail a sub 3 second stop, the world is wowed.

Just to be clear, I was not advocating for the electronic system. Just posting for general education on how things work.

As far as his view, I think Marc's main point was that a minimum time requirement would detract from the show (which I do agree with.)

I would actually prefer they go back to the old arm signal and lollipop. The second or two that adds is actually part of the show and becomes a very visible clue to those watching.

FWIW
DLM

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Just to be clear, I was not advocating for the electronic system. Just posting for general education on how things work.

As far as his view, I think Marc's main point was that a minimum time requirement would detract from the show (which I do agree with.)

I would actually prefer they go back to the old arm signal and lollipop. The second or two that adds is actually part of the show and becomes a very visible clue to those watching.

FWIW
DLM

I agree. Definitely don't want to see a minimum time. I liked the lollipop.. I think more humans making mistakes that cost time, not injury makes the sport more exciting.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Whatever. Read through your posts for the last couple of pages. You can't even mention Lewis without insulting the guy.
Personally I think he's one of the most exciting drivers of his generation.
Totally agree with your comment and in fact Lewis has a host of fans at every event. He is a top class driver and will probably win the championship again. The Bahrain race was so much more exiting I would drop Australia from the F1 circuit it is nothing but a procession.
and boring.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Totally agree with your comment and in fact Lewis has a host of fans at every event. He is a top class driver and will probably win the championship again. The Bahrain race was so much more exiting I would drop Australia from the F1 circuit it is nothing but a procession.
and boring.
I think they should drop or change a number of tracks.
They should stipulate a minimum number of passes on track per race for them to get a race the following year. They can update tracks to improve them.
Even the glitz and glamor or Monaco is getting old. See who qualifies first, then you have your winner (short of a breakdown or crash).
[doublepost=1523464602][/doublepost]
I agree. Definitely don't want to see a minimum time. I liked the lollipop.. I think more humans making mistakes that cost time, not injury makes the sport more exciting.
Agree. The pressure to do a perfect pit stop or you could lose your position has evaporated of late (Hass excluded of course!).
A bit more of the human element could make it more interesting.

Reactions: BenTrovato

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008

I was going to say I’m impressed, until I read all the endless modifications Porsche made to the car to get that lap record. It’s cheating really as the car they used was way of a race spec version lacking even the air jack system they use.

Anyway I guess practicing will start today? Race on Sunday! Max and Lewis have kissed and made up so all is good in the world.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was going to say I’m impressed, until I read all the endless modifications Porsche made to the car to get that lap record. It’s cheating really as the car they used was way of a race spec version lacking even the air jack system they use.

Anyway I guess practicing will start today? Race on Sunday! Max and Lewis have kissed and made up so all is good in the world.
Because of the time difference practice already started.

I'm glad Lewis was the bigger man and went and made up with Max ;)

Hope RBR have a good run otherwise it's a two horse race. Also would like to see Williams further up the field, but doubt it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Because of the time difference practice already started.

I'm glad Lewis was the bigger man and went and made up with Max ;)

Hope RBR have a good run otherwise it's a two horse race. Also would like to see Williams further up the field, but doubt it.

Hahaha Lewis said being the ‘older’ driver he went and apologised, Max is only what 19 or something daft! Lewis came across as an old man in his what 20’s? Mind you I do believe at the Winter Olympics some skaters were 14 or 15!!! Sport is a young persons game...

I count more on the second tier Torro Rosso team now, if Red Bull have reliability problems with Dan and Max. We will see though, with any luck they won’t crash in practice or qualifying so they can at least all make it to front of the grid.
I think it will be another Vetell win though as he seems to be on fire!

I would love to see Williams on pole and wining, like their golden era. But alas I fear they’ll spend another season at the back again.

But last race was funny, the Mercedes engine cars (excluding the Merc team) were down in the second half I think, the Ferrari ones and Renault ones (excluding the Ferrari team) in the top half, but it was the apparently unreliable Honda that beat all of them with ease it seemed haha! You couldn’t make it up really.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Hahaha Lewis said being the ‘older’ driver he went and apologised, Max is only what 19 or something daft! Lewis came across as an old man in his what 20’s? Mind you I do believe at the Winter Olympics some skaters were 14 or 15!!! Sport is a young persons game...

I count more on the second tier Torro Rosso team now, if Red Bull have reliability problems with Dan and Max. We will see though, with any luck they won’t crash in practice or qualifying so they can at least all make it to front of the grid.

I would love to see Williams on pole and wining, like their golden era. But alas I fear they’ll spend another season at the back again.

But last race was funny, the Mercedes engine cars (excluding the Merc team) were down in the second half I think, the Ferrari ones and Renault ones (excluding the Ferrari team) in the top half, but it was the apparently unreliable Honda that beat all of them with ease it seemed haha! You couldn’t make it up really.

Sadly I don't see Williams as being relevant in F1 until Frank is gone. Until then it is just a family business.

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

He's 33 years which still makes him a young whipper snapper by my standards, but pretty old for an F1 driver!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Sadly I don't see Williams as being relevant in F1 until Frank is gone. Until then it is just a family business.

Yeah but yet they make a LOT of the battery tech for other cars, they make all the battery’s for the Formula E cars, perhaps engineering is now their strong point?

He's 33 years which still makes him a young whipper snapper by my standards, but pretty old for an F1 driver!

Blimey! He looks a bit younger with his silly haircut and diamond earrings. Still young next to me too.

Top 4 are only 10ths apart after P2. Gonna be another strategy race. Torro Rosso in the podium !!!!!! ;)

Haha I would so love that! Can you imagine MacLarens reaction if they got on the podium!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah but yet they make a LOT of the battery tech for other cars, they make all the battery’s for the Foemila E cars, perhaps engineering is now their strong point?

Blimey! He looks a bit younger with his silly haircut and diamond earrings. Still young next to me too.

Haha I would so love that! Can you imagine MacLarens reaction if they got on the podium!
Never mind McLarens, just Alonso's would be priceless!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Yeah but yet they make a LOT of the battery tech for other cars, they make all the battery’s for the Formula E cars, perhaps engineering is now their strong point?

...Haha I would so love that! Can you imagine MacLarens reaction if they got on the podium!

They do? Neat.
I'd love for Williams to be in the mix for wins and what not. They are my favorite team bar none.

McLaren is probably already ruing the switch to Renault. Although I'm sure the regret would be even more palpable...

I'd love to see Torro Rosso and Renault up there.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Looks like Ferrari was sandbagging a bit in practice. :rolleyes: Well done to all. The Prancing Horse is full stride. Lewis the Man Child with his typical adult reaction pulling into the pit on his last lap. Expect the off track partying to start soon. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ferrari have done well on a track that usually suits Mercedes.
I think this says a lot about the season to come.
The problem is we know Mercedes are rubbish at following another car, so for the race this doesn't sound good.
I expect Ferrari to drive off in front and Mercedes to be a distant third/fourth.

But you never know. Also Lewis and Max together on the grid could be fun!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Ferrari have done well on a track that usually suits Mercedes.
I think this says a lot about the season to come.
The problem is we know Mercedes are rubbish at following another car, so for the race this doesn't sound good.
I expect Ferrari to drive off in front and Mercedes to be a distant third/fourth.

But you never know. Also Lewis and Max together on the grid could be fun!

yeah, i actually hope kimi and seb come together and take each other out.

that is going to be the only way to have some sort of "parody" ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.