Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Will the next race be won in strategy again? Or will we see some racing, without the crashing?
Also if they get rid of KERS I presume they won’t have the extra kick available to overtake done the straights?

Next up is Baku.. last years was pretty exciting with Vettel ramming Hamilton during the safety car :D

On KERS, it depends. The way the cars are designed now, you need the extra battery power to get by because of how hard it is for these cars to be behind another car. Although, they're talking about redesigning the front wings so it won't be difficult for the car behind. Depending on how successful they are at that, they may not need KERS. Lots of speculation!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Change is good for F1 at this point.

KERS is good imo as it gives the two drivers battling it out a strategy as to when to use it (in theory). However anything like redesigning the front wings to make cars better at following to improve overtaking can only be a good thing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Haven’t seen the qualifying but yesterday Dan was fastest beating Kimi I think it was? Or was it Botas? Lewis wasn’t doing to well and then Seb was sandbagging. Max crashed but didn’t need any mechanicals changed so is all good for today unless he crashes again..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haven’t seen the qualifying but yesterday Dan was fastest beating Kimi I think it was? Or was it Botas? Lewis wasn’t doing to well and then Seb was sandbagging. Max crashed but didn’t need any mechanicals changed so is all good for today unless he crashes again..
Qualifying hasn't happened yet! ;)

I think it's between Vettel and Ricardo for the race. Ferrari will take a 1-2 today though.

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh well that explains it haha.. and I agree, Seb and Dan. Has Dan suddenly decided to race properly now he has a a chance for a Ferrari of Mercedes seat?
I think it's more of a case of good strategy and RBR closing the gap.
The honey badger has always been a great racer. Just not always had a great car.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm not sure RB want to use Honda. They just want to use something they can win championships with!
What that will be remains to be seen.

I know our friend pachyderm is wishing for 2019 to be a Honda in Daniels car. I agree that it will happen in 2020. You can see Renault issues growing with Alain at Renault Factory you know all the other teams get screwed. Contract language or not. It's the way he raced, and the way he manages. I say Daniel as a Honda in 2020. ;)
[doublepost=1524921500][/doublepost]
Qualifying hasn't happened yet! ;)

I think it's between Vettel and Ricardo for the race. Ferrari will take a 1-2 today though.

Don't write Kimi off for a win. He drives the same go-go juice Seb does when you drive for the Prancing Horse. :apple:
[doublepost=1524921593][/doublepost]
Fred, sandbagging?

i'd love that to be the case...

or did you mean the big dogs were...?

11th after FP3 ...

I was trying to break up the usual topics. ;)
[doublepost=1524921665][/doublepost]I'm predicting Seb P1, Daniel P2, Kimi P3 after Q3. Mad Max in the wall Q2. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well he might be mad Max, but not as bad as those Toro Rosso drivers. What was Hartley thinking, and why did his team mate not get a warning?

And on 15 with all those runs down the escape road, what's the betting we see someone run down there for a yellow flag I'd their second run in Q3 isn't going their way. Nico did it in Monaco a few years back.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I know our friend pachyderm is wishing for 2019 to be a Honda in Daniels car. I agree that it will happen in 2020. You can see Renault issues growing with Alain at Renault Factory you know all the other teams get screwed. Contract language or not. It's the way he raced, and the way he manages. I say Daniel as a Honda in 2020. ;)
[doublepost=1524921500][/doublepost]

Don't write Kimi off for a win. He drives the same go-go juice Seb does when you drive for the Prancing Horse. :apple:
[doublepost=1524921593][/doublepost]

I was trying to break up the usual topics. ;)
[doublepost=1524921665][/doublepost]I'm predicting Seb P1, Daniel P2, Kimi P3 after Q3. Mad Max in the wall Q2. :rolleyes:

It RB go Honda it will be next year, they have the option to do so and will decide this summer weather to drop Renault next year or not. They have already said they have options for next year and the Renault contract is up for renewell soon.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The McLaren is horrible. So far, surprised Force India is having such a great weekend and Haas has dropped off. Let’s see how Q3 finishes... Vettel very far ahead
Vettel was lucky to hold onto pole. I thought Kimi was going to do it. Still 3 different teams on the front two rows and due to performance, not anything else is great for F1. A three way race (well until Max puts it into the wall/another car!).

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well done Ferrari. Seb is now the Chief P Session Sandbagger. Just like China. Although Mercedes was clearly sandbagging in practice as well. I'm beginning to wonder if we can learning anything from practice these days. ;)
[doublepost=1524924831][/doublepost]
Vettel was lucky to hold onto pole. I thought Kimi was going to do it. Still 3 different teams on the front two rows and due to performance, not anything else is great for F1. A three way race (well until Max puts it into the wall/another car!).

Im amazed he finished qualifying. :apple:
[doublepost=1524924994][/doublepost]

That is what is so intense with Ferrari. Both drivers have the skill, and more importantly the same mechanical ability. Prolly unlikely, but I'd love to see Kimi back in 2019. They will need to pay him more to change his mind. A lot more. :apple:

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Quals is going to be on live in the US, right? I can't find a listing... :(

I am not sure it was broadcast or not. I had a DVR recording that said "Practice" after my FP3 recording, but it was a SportsCenter documentary.

Checked WatchESPN replays and they only have FP1 and FP2 up at the moment so maybe they will post it later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.