Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well with regards to Botas, how does this affect the sport when debris left in the track changes the winner? Very odd when the first three are nothing like was predicted right up to the end of the race.
But also fantastic racing and anything but boring... I did see other debris though that was missed being cleared. Very dangerous really.

Vettell he paid the price for overcooking it..

And I will wait to read what happens with Dan and Max but in my mind he didn’t do anything wrong, but it was inevitable because if what the team let them do...
Actually I'm glad Vettel went for it. The difference between second and third might be the points difference that count st the end of the season, but he wasn't happy with that. He wanted the win. That's what makes him a WC x 4.

Reactions: Glideslope

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I’ve liked Max a lot because his incidents make for exciting racing. He’s made some bad decisions lately. Defending ALL race on your teammate like that just kills your team morale especially if it ends in an accident. Daniel was faster today.

Being a #1 is as much about beating your teammate as it is making the garage believe you are the better driver. Max is showing that Daniel is better through his behavior. Really impressed by both Daniel and Max’s comments post race though.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Actually I'm glad Vettel went for it. The difference between second and third might be the points difference that count st the end of the season, but he wasn't happy with that. He wanted the win. That's what makes him a WC x 4.

I think you can say the same about all the. Drivers with Vetell?

Just watched the Sky analysis of thrRed Bull crash from multiple angles and as they said, they’ve seen it time after time with drivers and this is a racing incident. The Red Bull team owners claim it is against their philosophy to not allow their drivers to race..... face meat palm..!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Just watched the Sky analysis of thrRed Bull crash from multiple angles and as they said, they’ve seen it time after time with drivers and this is a racing incident. The Red Bull team owners claim it is against their philosophy to not allow their drivers to race..... face meat palm..!!
It's been that way ever since RBR started. Remember Webber vs Vettel. They had their fair share of incidents.
I don't think you can blame the team.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
It's been that way ever since RBR started. Remember Webber vs Vettel. They had their fair share of incidents.
I don't think you can blame the team.

You can if they want their own drivers to always race each other as that’s just asking for trouble, sometimes the team has to step,in, like if they let Dan go and he was faster they could have made the podium.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well with regards to Botas, how does this affect the sport when debris left in the track changes the winner? Very odd when the first three are nothing like was predicted right up to the end of the race.
But also fantastic racing and anything but boring... I did see other debris though that was missed being cleared. Very dangerous really.

Vettell he paid the price for overcooking it..

And I will wait to read what happens with Dan and Max but in my mind he didn’t do anything wrong, but it was inevitable because if what the team let them do...
[doublepost=1525012363][/doublepost]

You don’t know racing then. You should go and watch videos of all the other drivers crashing into team mates or crashing lots in seasons.. it’s nothing new what Max has done, and it was a team fault, not driver fault.

Watch Mad Max in the post race interview. Responding like a 12 year old. I have watched F1 for the last 50 years. Max has a gift. However he will never have the "Complete Package" mentally. It's not in his DNA. Mom and Dad missed passing on the intellect genes. He will continue to pound the square peg into the round hole until he ends up driving in Indy Cars. ;)
[doublepost=1525019774][/doublepost]

Christian sees it differently. Guess you don't understand Team Principles. :rolleyes:

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
The driver skill on display had nothing whatsoever to do with the end result. F1 has always required some luck, but when the luck overtakes the skill, it stops being a sport and just a game of chance.

At the minute the excitement comes from not knowing who's going to be lucky, or unlucky if you're Bottas, this weekend.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Agreed. With so few laps remaining after the extended SC it was unlikely Seb could convert the better tire management (heating) of the Ferrari into a pass before the end.

It's been that way ever since RBR started. Remember Webber vs Vettel. They had their fair share of incidents. I don't think you can blame the team.
You can if they want their own drivers to always race each other as that’s just asking for trouble, sometimes the team has to step,in, like if they let Dan go and he was faster they could have made the podium.

I'm all for allowing drivers to race each other, but it was pretty clear that Daniel was faster than Max and Daniel's frustration level was rising as he realized that any shot at a podium was disappearing with each lap he spent behind Max. And Max banging wheels with him trying to keep Daniel behind him or re-over-taking was about as clear a sign as you can have that an accident was just waiting to happen.

So for me, while Max making the second move onto Daniel and blocking him with nowhere to go in the braking zone directly caused the accident, if the team had just let Daniel past earlier, the two never would have been in a position to crash. So I place the majority of the blame on the team.

Reactions: apolloa

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm pretty sure Max was to blame. Double move is not allowed.

Loving this:

rCSs9Lo.png

And this:
cx1YbBL.png

And everyone(team) has points:
rt1v5Df.png

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm pretty sure Max was to blame. Double move is not allowed.

Loving this:

rCSs9Lo.png

And this:
cx1YbBL.png

And everyone(team) has points:
rt1v5Df.png
Of course he was. To blame it on the team is fiction. You'll hear over the next few days that Mad Max had orders to give way. As always, he did what he wanted. Never a Team Player, never learns, never will be a World Champion. He belongs in Indy Cars. :apple:
[doublepost=1525031770][/doublepost]

The FIA does not agree. Give it 48hrs. Mad Max will be loading his Super License into the Danger Zone. ;)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Watch Mad Max in the post race interview. Responding like a 12 year old. I have watched F1 for the last 50 years. Max has a gift. However he will never have the "Complete Package" mentally. It's not in his DNA. Mom and Dad missed passing on the intellect genes. He will continue to pound the square peg into the round hole until he ends up driving in Indy Cars. ;)
[doublepost=1525019774][/doublepost]

Christian sees it differently. Guess you don't understand Team Principles. :rolleyes:

I understand team principles and when they are wrong. I also don’t go around insulting drivers as being stupid as that’s a ridiculous thing to claim, you act like you have some sort of personal hatred for him? of course Christian won’t admit its the teams fault as that’s blaming himself, a Red Bulls policy would be getting blamed, IMO as it should do.
Max will win the championship in the next five years I think.

And FYI the FIA have blamed BOTH RED BULL DRIVERS for the incident, they have a different opinion to you in only blaming Max.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-reprimand-ricciardo-and-verstappen/

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I understand team principles and when they are wrong. I also don’t go around insulting drivers as being stupid as that’s a ridiculous thing to claim, you act like you have some sort of personal hatred for him? of course Christian won’t admit its the teams fault as that’s blaming himself, a Red Bulls policy would be getting blamed, IMO as it should do.
Max will win the championship in the next five years I think.

And FYI the FIA have blamed BOTH RED BULL DRIVERS for the incident, they have a different opinion to you in only blaming Max.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-reprimand-ricciardo-and-verstappen/

Yes, I read that. Very unfortunate for F1. Mad Max should have a 1 race suspension. In five years Max will no longer be with a competitive team. Cementing his place in history as lacking intellect. :apple:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I enjoyed the race, would have liked Botas to win because his race plan was perfect and in fact included the possibility of the safety car that would allow him to get a free pit stop. However, Lewis deserves a bit of luck. The safety car cost him the first race of the year and its going to be fun to see the battle between him and Vettel continue.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I enjoyed the race, would have liked Botas to win because his race plan was perfect and in fact included the possibility of the safety car that would allow him to get a free pit stop. However, Lewis deserves a bit of luck. The safety car cost him the first race of the year and its going to be fun to see the battle between him and Vettel continue.

Yeah it was really bad for a Botas, he said after you just get tracks with debris like that, especially the street circuits, is what it is.. really rotten luck though as Mercedes had nailed it for him, lucky for them Vetell stuffed it up and Lewis was in second to take the win!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Please don't send him to Indy Car. Think he would be better suited to NASCAR....they crash a lot and like it.

Nah, I would never make a joke about that. NASCAR is like Tractor Pulling.

I honestly do not dislike Mad Max as a carbon unit. He is obviously very talented. However F1 history is full of these types that never go on to be a Juan Manuel Fangio, Prost, Clark, Senna, Alonso, Piquet, Stewart, Schumacher, Fittipaldi, and Vettel.

Mad Max has several personality traits counteracting his raw talent.
1: He will never be a driver who understands Team Sucess. It’s only about individual achievement for Mad Max. One can't survive like that in 2018.
2: A lack of understanding mistakes, and not repeating over and over. This I pin on a simple lack of intelligence.
3. He has no fear. An F1 driver without fear placed in the back room should not be driving. I’m not sure at this point if he is not afraid of death as Ayrton was. Time will tell.

So, I’m staying with Indy Car. ;)

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Bottas has been there every race. Even though I have never picked him to win any race, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins one soon. I'm betting on a 1-2 Merc finish at the test track in Spain where they should dominate.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don’t know abou Lewis, he only won last weekend because of luck, bad and good and he knows it. Not Kimi?
Kimi is Ferrari's number two driver. They have all their weight behind Vettel.

Yes Lewis won because of circumstances. But he's also lost races due to circumstances. It evens out in the end.
[doublepost=1525462785][/doublepost]
Bottas has been there every race. Even though I have never picked him to win any race, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins one soon. I'm betting on a 1-2 Merc finish at the test track in Spain where they should dominate.
Yes he will win one or two. But not the championship.

Reactions: JackRoch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.