Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
No chance.
Probably Vettel.
If not. Hamilton.

Ferrari will take the Drivers and Manufacturers Championship in 2018. I'm still going with my pre season pick of Sebastian. Lewis received a freebie last week. Won't happen again.

I also see Williams loosing Mercedes power next season, and who will gain it. I'm saying Haas moves from Ferrari to Mercedes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ferrari will take the Drivers and Manufacturers Championship in 2018. I'm still going with my pre season pick of Sebastian. Lewis received a freebie last week. Won't happen again.

I also see Williams loosing Mercedes power next season, and who will gain it. I'm saying Haas moves from Ferrari to Mercedes. :rolleyes:
Why would the junior Ferrari team switch engines?
I'm also pretty sure Lewis will get more wins this year.
But agree Vettel will is favourite.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Kimi is Ferrari's number two driver. They have all their weight behind Vettel.

Yes Lewis won because of circumstances. But he's also lost races due to circumstances. It evens out in the end.
[doublepost=1525462785][/doublepost]
Yes he will win one or two. But not the championship.

I agree with your premise on Sebastian and Kimi. Lets look at a couple things. If we are being honest with ourselves, Ferrari and Mercedes really fight for the Manufactures Championship each season (others soon hopefully.) Now, IMO, I do not believe I am stretching it when I say that Maurizio REALLY likes Kimi. He has gone out of his was several times this year give Kimi public displays of affection. ""I am very proud of Kimi" stands out the most to me. He seemed emotional during that interview.

So, of course if Sebastian has a clear advantage toward the end of the season there could be orders given to let him pass, but not if the Manufactures Title is very close. As we go further I see Valtteri, Sebastian, and Kimi contending. Maurizio will let them race for a Drivers Title as long as the Manufactures Title is not put in jeopardy. :apple:
[doublepost=1525520748][/doublepost]
Why would the junior Ferrari team switch engines?
I'm also pretty sure Lewis will get more wins this year.
But agree Vettel will is favourite.

Wolf stated a few days ago that Mercedes is open to changing and or adding teams to their engine program,. Apparently they have increased their ability to manufacture in volume. Haas is looking at "options" I think it will come down to the "incentives" to using each power plant. IMO, Ferrari currently has the 1 step over the Mercedes we have seen all year. Sorry on Lewis I'll never support him (Haters gonna Hate.) Last week was a simply a luck based win. To match the Ferrari on top speed Mercedes has to back off on the downforce. Lewis is good in the wet, but not in a dry loose condition. His past championships with Mercedes, IMO, have all resulted from dominant Mercedes power allowing downforce in his comfort zone. This no longer exists. On top of that I simply think he has had it too easy the past few years, and lack a tad of the raw talent of some of his fellow competitors. I will give him credit that during his famous crying and complaining sessions he demonstrates professional on track driving unlike so many others today. :apple:

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I agree with your premise on Sebastian and Kimi. Lets look at a couple things. If we are being honest with ourselves, Ferrari and Mercedes really fight for the Manufactures Championship each season (others soon hopefully.) Now, IMO, I do not believe I am stretching it when I say that Maurizio REALLY likes Kimi. He has gone out of his was several times this year give Kimi public displays of affection. ""I am very proud of Kimi" stands out the most to me. He seemed emotional during that interview.

So, of course if Sebastian has a clear advantage toward the end of the season there could be orders given to let him pass, but not if the Manufactures Title is very close. As we go further I see Valtteri, Sebastian, and Kimi contending. Maurizio will let them race for a Drivers Title as long as the Manufactures Title is not put in jeopardy. :apple:
[doublepost=1525520748][/doublepost]

Wolf stated a few days ago that Mercedes is open to changing and or adding teams to their engine program,. Apparently they have increased their ability to manufacture in volume. Haas is looking at "options" I think it will come down to the "incentives" to using each power plant. IMO, Ferrari currently has the 1 step over the Mercedes we have seen all year. Sorry on Lewis I'll never support him (Haters gonna Hate.) Last week was a simply a luck based win. To match the Ferrari on top speed Mercedes has to back off on the downforce. Lewis is good in the wet, but not in a dry loose condition. His past championships with Mercedes, IMO, have all resulted from dominant Mercedes power allowing downforce in his comfort zone. This no longer exists. On top of that I simply think he has had it too easy the past few years, and lack a tad of the raw talent of some of his fellow competitors. I will give him credit that during his famous crying and complaining sessions he demonstrates professional on track driving unlike so many others today. :apple:
I think I'd have to disagree, but being British I obviously support Lewis.

Yes Mercedes have had it too easy in recent years. And yes a closer championship is what we all want.

There was a lot of luck in his win in Baku, but the timing of the SC in the previous race also went against him. So these things tend to even out.
If he lacked talent I'm yet too see it. He's always dominated his team mates. The one exception being when Nico was at the top of his game and he had all those engine issues.
And let's be honest. Nico new he couldn't repeat it, so retired.

In the wet he is right up there. However Max's drive in Brazil was amazing. He was so much quicker than everyone! Probably the no fear thing!

Either way we can both agree (hopefully!) that this season has been much more interesting than the last few.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Williams is set to be the Merc junior team. Wolff used to be on the Williams board. I wouldn't be surprised if he already pitched this plan to the Williams family years ago and worked all this time behind the scenes at Merc to sort it out.

You also see a lot of interaction between Arrivabene and Wolff. I'm sure there was a lot of information shared on their junior affiliations/aspirations.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Williams is set to be the Merc junior team. Wolff used to be on the Williams board. I wouldn't be surprised if he already pitched this plan to the Williams family years ago and worked all this time behind the scenes at Merc to sort it out.

You also see a lot of interaction between Arrivabene and Wolff. I'm sure there was a lot of information shared on their junior affiliations/aspirations.

yeah but they already have a merc and it isn't doing squat for them.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'd be surprised if Ferrari takes the WCC since they seem to put all their eggs in Seb's basket so the two AMGs seem to always score more aggregate points per GP, but if Kimi can stay close in the WDC, that may be enough to motivate him to strong finishes. I do think the Ferrari is better than the Mercedes this year so I'd say this is probably their best chance to take the WCC.

I don't see Haas leaving Ferrari. As noted, they were brought in specifically to be the "Junior Team" and Sauber is on current-spec engines only because the 2018 rules no longer allow there to be a difference between Manufacturer and Customer Specification engines otherwise I expect they would be running 2017 PSUs.

As for Williams, I wonder if their pride will allow them to become the Mercedes "Junior Team". I think Claire would go for it, but I wonder what Sir Frank thinks about such a thing. Of course, they may not have a choice if results continue to be lackluster.

If not them, definitely Force India. Especially is Sahara can take over the remainder of the team.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Williams needs to be a rear mid pack team to stay in that position. I don’t see it. No aero progress. :apple:

Reactions: pachyderm

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'd be surprised if Ferrari takes the WCC since they seem to put all their eggs in Seb's basket so the two AMGs seem to always score more aggregate points per GP, but if Kimi can stay close in the WDC, that may be enough to motivate him to strong finishes. I do think the Ferrari is better than the Mercedes this year so I'd say this is probably their best chance to take the WCC.

I don't see Haas leaving Ferrari. As noted, they were brought in specifically to be the "Junior Team" and Sauber is on current-spec engines only because the 2018 rules no longer allow there to be a difference between Manufacturer and Customer Specification engines otherwise I expect they would be running 2017 PSUs.

As for Williams, I wonder if their pride will allow them to become the Mercedes "Junior Team". I think Claire would go for it, but I wonder what Sir Frank thinks about such a thing. Of course, they may not have a choice if results continue to be lackluster.

If not them, definitely Force India. Especially is Sahara can take over the remainder of the team.

I disagree that Ferrari at this point has all their eggs in Sebs Basket.

Never under estimate the influence of a “Well funded Factory Engine Program.”

Sir. Franks role currently is pretty laid back. Claire runs the show from my understanding. I agree the future is results based. Williams needs to be on par with Haas to keep Mercedes.

Force India is starting to come together. It’s nice to see. :apple:
[doublepost=1525564977][/doublepost]
I am curious where Daniel will end up for 2019...

Ferrari. ;)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Williams needs to be a rear mid pack team to stay in that position. I don’t see it. No aero progress. :apple:

There’s no staying.. if Williams keeps paying they keep Merc engines. The whole point of the collaboration between Merc and Williams would be to help them with aero, amongst other things. Force India isn’t ready to be a junior team next season.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Why would Adrian Newey move to Williams? That would be a backwards step.

I didn't say it would be good for him...

I said Team Williams need him.

I can honestly see Williams out of F1 in the very near(inside of 10 yrs) future.

They don't win, they don't compete for podiums, and that can't be alluring to too many sponsors can it?

I'm sure they have a fair sized war chest but what is the point? Good money after bad isn't it?

I love them. I wish them well but it is futile at this rate.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

If Mad Max does not stop destroying his art work, he could leave.;)
[doublepost=1525611661][/doublepost]
There’s no staying.. if Williams keeps paying they keep Merc engines. The whole point of the collaboration between Merc and Williams would be to help them with aero, amongst other things. Force India isn’t ready to be a junior team next season.

Your comment is valid. I just have a gut feeling Toto is not happy with the arrangement. Don’t write off Force India being on par with Haas by the end of the season. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I didn't say it would be good for him...

I said Team Williams need him.

I can honestly see Williams out of F1 in the very near(inside of 10 yrs) future.

They don't win, they don't compete for podiums, and that can't be alluring to too many sponsors can it?

I'm sure they have a fair sized war chest but what is the point? Good money after bad isn't it?

I love them. I wish them well but it is futile at this rate.
I'd love to see Williams back at the front, but I fear their purse simply isn't big enough.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

He was extremely successful at Williams in the 1990s, his designs winning 4 WDCs and 5 WCCs. If not for Patrick Head blocking him from moving up to the Technical Director position, he might very well have stayed on instead of moving to McLaren.

Of course, Williams of today does not begin to have the budget that Williams of then did so I could understand him not being interested in going back on those grounds because he indeed would very much be hamstrung in terms of what he could do compared to what he has access to at RBR.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
He was extremely successful at Williams in the 1990s, his designs winning 4 WDCs and 5 WCCs. If not for Patrick Head blocking him from moving up to the Technical Director position, he might very well have stayed on instead of moving to McLaren.

Of course, Williams of today does not begin to have the budget that Williams of then did so I could understand him not being interested in going back on those grounds because he indeed would very much be hamstrung in terms of what he could do compared to what he has access to at RBR.

yup

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.