Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Actually it was the Williams fault, no idea what they were thinking! Great driving by Max. Held of Seb excellently.

Boring win for Lewis.

Just saying though, this is the track Mercedes complained to Perelli about claiming the tyres on ‘their’ cars performed poorly, Perelli change the tyres for everyone as a result, and they all lack grip yet Lewis and Botas easily win...... hmmm.....

Bah, can't blame Sergey for that. Max had his head in the clouds and drove into the back. The story of Mad Max. Super Humane Talent. Focusing ability of a 5 year old. The only reason he was on the podium was from Ferrari's poor race plan and execution.

Not Max being on his game. ;)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Bah, can't blame Sergey for that. Max had his head in the clouds and drove into the back. The story of Mad Max. Super Humane Talent. Focusing ability of a 5 year old. The only reason he was on the podium was from Ferrari's poor race plan and execution.

Not Max being on his game. ;)

Dear oh dear you go on.... wasn’t Max’s fault, end off. Stop winding it up you lol! You watch Monaco, Red Bull will dominate.

Apple Fanboy will be happy with today’s result, his favourite driver and team wining.

Reactions: Glideslope

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm just going to say it, the Haas divers are horrible.
I would give Magnussen the rest of the season to be more of a team player and be more consistent. Can't believe Grosjean has lasted this long, doesn't belong in F1

Grosjean was going to spin into traffic, regardless, but I agree his trying to save the car by spinning the tires made a bad situation worse due to occluding the vision of everyone behind him.

And I do agree with BenTrovato that it might be time to show Grosjean the door. Too often he's suffered from "brain fade".

Just saying though, this is the track Mercedes complained to Perelli about claiming the tyres on ‘their’ cars performed poorly, Perelli change the tyres for everyone as a result, and they all lack grip yet Lewis and Botas easily win...... hmmm.....

The Mercedes does seem to be very susceptible to track temperature. It was warm on Friday and they were struggling, then Sunday it's nice and cool and they just dominate.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I tried to keep my eyes open, but don't think I managed it for all 66 laps. Did I miss any overtaking other than on the 1st lap and at the 1st corner under DRS? 2019 rule changes can't come fast enough...

Reactions: zagato27

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Dear oh dear you go on.... wasn’t Max’s fault, end off. Stop winding it up you lol! You watch Monaco, Red Bull will dominate.

Apple Fanboy will be happy with today’s result, his favourite driver and team wining.
He wasn't that happy. A bit dull and boring by 2018 standards. But yes happy Lewis won!

But Vettel seamed to have terrible strategy this week. Think the Ferrari team could have got a second or third with better strategy.
But I think Lewis was unstoppable all weekend.

Sadly the next race will be decided on Saturday.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Congrats to Mercedes. Nailed the tire situation cold.
Great race to Haas P6, McLaren P8, and FORCE INDIA P9 :rolleyes:

Can Ferrari respond? :eek:
[doublepost=1526223223][/doublepost]

He did drive very well at the end given another lack of intelligence forced error. I’m sure he had to take care of that left front. Luckily for him Ferrari was in the tank today. ;)
he really did!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
He wasn't that happy. A bit dull and boring by 2018 standards. But yes happy Lewis won!

But Vettel seamed to have terrible strategy this week. Think the Ferrari team could have got a second or third with better strategy.
But I think Lewis was unstoppable all weekend.

Sadly the next race will be decided on Saturday.

Haha yeah it was a bit dull after the beginning going by the races so far. Not sure about the next one, Red Bull will be very strong though, Mercedes not sure. But anything can happen this season!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haha yeah it was a bit dull after the beginning going by the races so far. Not sure about the next one, Red Bull will be very strong though, Mercedes not sure. But anything can happen this season!
I doubt RBR will do well in Monaco. The Mercs and Ferrari will out qualify them.
Max will most likely collect some wall or another driver.
At least he did better today.

Quite a few mechanical failures today. Not sure why.
[doublepost=1526241722][/doublepost]Grosjean's been handed a three place grid penalty for Monaco and two more points on his license.
Rightly so imo.

Reactions: pachyderm

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I doubt RBR will do well in Monaco. The Mercs and Ferrari will out qualify them.
Max will most likely collect some wall or another driver.
At least he did better today.

Quite a few mechanical failures today. Not sure why.
[doublepost=1526241722][/doublepost]Grosjean's been handed a three place grid penalty for Monaco and two more points on his license.
Rightly so imo.

Don’t think I’d write off RBR so fast in the Princeapality. The Engine Upgrade package worked well today. As always it will be about keeping Mad Max on track. :)

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Pretty boring. Did Hamilton win by 17? 20 seconds? I keep wondering why I'm still watching.HOWEVER. I am enjoying the SKY race feed and presenters. A bit of fresh air so to speak AND no stinking commercials. I don't see why I'd go with the F1 streaming service especially with all the problems they seem to be having. Not a fan of Hamilton but I will give him credit. He actually thanks the fans for coming to the race every race. Be nice to see a bit more of that.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

I thought Ferrari arguably was more on top of strategy this weekend than usual. They knew the Mediums would take quite a number of laps to come to their optimal operating temperature so bringing Seb in before Lewis or the RBRs to give him time to have his tires at optimum when they would be leaving on cold tires struck me as rather sound strategy.

The pit stop under the VSC on Lap 42 cost him 3rd place due to a slow stop (looked like an issue with the rear). If not for that, he should have been able to hold on to 3rd, I reckon.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I thought Ferrari arguably was more on top of strategy this weekend than usual. They knew the Mediums would take quite a number of laps to come to their optimal operating temperature so bringing Seb in before Lewis or the RBRs to give him time to have his tires at optimum when they would be leaving on cold tires struck me as rather sound strategy.

The pit stop under the VSC on Lap 42 cost him 3rd place due to a slow stop (looked like an issue with the rear). If not for that, he should have been able to hold on to 3rd, I reckon.

I agree. It was the right gamble for Ferrari. If all went according to plan they would have been third with an ailing Verstappen behind and a worn out Bottas ahead. Any other incidents and Vettel might have had a shot to overtake the 2nd Merc. Unfortunately it didn’t go well in the pit lane and they ended up with 4th. Hamilton didn’t make a mistake though, deserved the win this weekend.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Agreed. Don't forget there was a slight hold for pit lane traffic along with the Micro Bobble on the (R) rear. Easily enough to keep him off the podium. :apple:
[doublepost=1526299283][/doublepost]
I agree. It was the right gamble for Ferrari. If all went according to plan they would have been third with an ailing Verstappen behind and a worn out Bottas ahead. Any other incidents and Vettel might have had a shot to overtake the 2nd Merc. Unfortunately it didn’t go well in the pit lane and they ended up with 4th. Hamilton didn’t make a mistake though, deserved the win this weekend.

IMO, Ferrari went with a rain conditions setup to start and could only do so much to adjust during the race. I'm more concerned with Kimi's engine issues Friday, and Sunday. I'd love to see Seb win his 5th, however I'd much rather have Ferrari win the CC. :apple:

Reactions: BenTrovato

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
<snip>

I am enjoying the SKY race feed and presenters. A bit of fresh air so to speak AND no stinking commercials. I don't see why I'd go with the F1 streaming service especially with all the problems they seem to be having.

<snip>

So I did buy the streaming service and agree that it is not good live. The replay works though. It is kind of cool to be able to switch back and forth with the driver cameras and just listen to the local sounds (the FX feed.)

If you DVR the races and then watch, I think the stream service is a better option than "just" the ESPN/sky feed. (And remember they had their fiasco on race 1 with the commercials.)

Here are a couple of posts I made over at RASF1 ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.sport.f1/8Oam2ZadTc4 ) on usenet:

"Well they finally have it on for Spain. I didn't get to see it live, but watching the replay seems pretty good so far.

You have the ability to watch the main program with commentators in English, German, French and Spanish. Or you can just listen to what they label as the FX track. That is basically what sounds the camera is picking up. This is really cool because you can hear the conversations going on in the scene (without the commentators talking over the feed.)

They also have all the drivers listed and you can select them for the onboard. When watching a driver feed you can listen to only the team radio without and background noise (very quiet) or any of the commentary tracks or the FX feed from the onboard mic.

The best part of all this is that it all seems to be contained in the replay so you can go from driver to driver in real time and rewind. That means you could see an incident and then check each of the driver feeds with the FX and radio. I was concerned that this would not be possible in the replay but it seems to work.

There are problems though in that it must be massive mounts of data. I'm at work where we have a pretty robust pipe and still having buffering issues with the feed. I will try it again at home to see if it is a data issue or maybe something with the firewalls here.

All things considered, this is pretty cool. It might even push me over the edge to drop my cable subscription. The only reason I really keep it is the ability to time-slip F1. F1 TV looks to make that unnecessary."

and

"The buffering was an issue but that seems to be a problem only with the on board camera feeds. I've also noticed that this seems to happen in certain areas of the track. Perhaps this is an issue with the video from the car to the data system (by that I mean maybe they don't get a constant video feed around the entire circuit.)

I'm watching the qualifying replay and so far there are no buffering issues at home on my mac. It is exactly the same feed as Sky (which probably shouldn't be a surprise). I have no idea who the other language commentators are but I would guess they are the same one who already provide commentary in their home countries.

I have the audio set to FX so no commentary and just noticed that the team radio pop-ups come through. I can also confirm that if you are on the driver on board, the radio is not censored. (Rewound on his feed and clearly heard Gasly's f-bomb.) It is actually quite enjoyable to just listen to the noise (being what it is...)

From the AT Review (about the value):
"If you have access to ESPN, I'm honestly not sure it is. You get the same video feed of the race with the same commentary team, and my experience of ESPN's stream quality to our Apple TVs has been pretty darn good. And if you still want access to the archived videos, all that stuff is available in the much cheaper F1 TV Access tier."

I only agree if you are watching the races live. That seems to be where all the bugs are. If you time-slip, so far, the replay works well (does glitch for the on-bards in some places) and being able to control the audio is cool.

I'm not sure if you get the same deal with the low-cost version. I think that is just a straight replay without all the additional feeds.

Finally, if you want the time and scoring detail, you can just open another window and run it along side the vides."

FWIW
DLM

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Ok guys, one week to go, And Monaco, tight twists and turns and no space for error...

So who and on which lap will Max hit?
Place yer bets now... lol!
In theory, the Red Bull car is built for the track and can easily get pole, and win. In practice I don’t think they will :(

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ok guys, one week to go, And Monaco, tight twists and turns and no space for error...

So who and on which lap will Max hit?
Place yer bets now... lol!
In theory, the Red Bull car is built for the track and can easily get pole, and win. In practice I don’t think they will :(
They won't get pole.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
What about a dark horse podium prediction for Monaco?

Alonso grabs third and stands on the podium next to two 4-time world champions :eek:

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
1. Lewis
2. Vettel
3. Bottas.

Not sure about Ferrari. They are really struggling with this degradation right now. I posted a link to a great Tech Review on it. Most in here prolly have seen this already. I'd like to see a little more consistency from Pirelli. I think Bottas has a better chance in Monaco than Lewis. IMO, he is better physically suited to throwing the car around than Lewis. :apple:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-the-tweak-behind-ferraris-spanish-slump.html

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Not sure about Ferrari. They are really struggling with this degradation right now. I posted a link to a great Tech Review on it. Most in here prolly have seen this already. I'd like to see a little more consistency from Pirelli. I think Bottas has a better chance in Monaco than Lewis. IMO, he is better physically suited to throwing the car around than Lewis. :apple:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-the-tweak-behind-ferraris-spanish-slump.html

Interesting article. Like it says though, Ferrari have probably changed the setup for Monaco. Especially the way the tyres are this year, I can't see many teams struggling.

I'd like to see Ricciardo win it, he really wants a Monaco trophy. Plus he was robbed of the victory in 2016 with the pitstop error and Lewis coasted to the finish line in first. Even Verstappen winning would be okay, Red Bull throws the best swimming pool parties in Monaco :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.