Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
seK32rr.png

CCJENeW.png

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Botas said Red Bull are untouchable... says it all. Shame Max tried to copy Dan and obviously smashed it....

So forgetting the crash test dummy, will Danny win? Last year he could have but the team messed up the pits changes.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Raining in Monaco! Could make things interesting.
Certainly Max's dream start. Will give him the best chance from the back for sure (unless he bins it again!).

Let's see what happens! He just said finishing the race is the most important thing today. We're about to find out..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ricardo's not getting his battery energy. Poor guy. He never gets the luck at Monaco.

Suspect he'll need a second pit stop which will hand Victory to Vettel.
Unless of course they all have to stop again, which could play into Bottas and Alonso who are on the harder tyres.

Lots to play for.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Agreed. All the history and glamour doesn't change that fact that it's no longer suitable as a 'race track' as it is impossible to race, even with a car producing 20% more power than the one in front :(

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
And look, RIC is my favorite driver from a personality standpoint and I want him to win, but if you're down significant speed and no one legitimately challenges you when you're in front, that's not racing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just turn Monaco into an exhibition event.

No way you can pass. This is just a tyre management race.

Max has been entertaining, but only because he started at the back.

Daniel deserves the win. Hope he gets it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thought we were going to get to the end without a crash!
[doublepost=1527433168][/doublepost]Well done Daniel. Well deserved. But let's be honest should we be celebrating such a slow race?
Not a great watch.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Congratulations to RBR and Daniel. An absolute master class in driving. I'll go Horner one better and say it was a better drive than Michael in 95. Quite a bit of excitement mid pack all race for a change.

New engines and upgrades in Canada next. Will RBR keep the pace? :apple:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Thought we were going to get to the end without a crash!
[doublepost=1527433168][/doublepost]Well done Daniel. Well deserved. But let's be honest should we be celebrating such a slow race?
Not a great watch.

Yes we should. You just witnessed one of the greatest Race Management Drives of the past 20 years. :apple:
[doublepost=1527433646][/doublepost]
Lewis straight up called Monoco "the least interesting race".

He's right, of course.

Lewis calls everything a problem when he can't be spoon fed instructions from his Team Engineer to tell him what to do. ;)

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
When did F1 turn into Race Management Driving. Christian has just summed it up with, I quote 'Dani managed the race like he was on a Sunday afternoon drive'. F1 should NEVER be comparable with a Sunday afternoon drive :(

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
When did F1 turn into Race Management Driving. Christian has just summed it up with, I quote 'Dani managed the race like he was on a Sunday afternoon drive'. F1 should NEVER be comparable with a Sunday afternoon drive :(

Um, yes. That was my point. The skill set required to make it look easy is a learned skill set over thousands of race miles. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1527438487][/doublepost]
Well at least there was no lift and coast shenanigans!

Roll on Canada.

I think Canada is going to be one fantastic race this year. I love the circuit and new power plants plus upgrades always have the ability to mix it up. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That pool looks manky. Webber did a better winners dive!
[doublepost=1527438527][/doublepost]
Um, yes. That was my point. The skill set required to make it look easy is a learned skill set over thousands of race miles. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1527438487][/doublepost]

I think Canada is going to be one fantastic race this year. I love the circuit and new power plant upgrades alway have the ability to mixe it up. :apple:
Let's hope so.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Reactions: Glideslope

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44309487

Williams have discovered that a major aerodynamic flaw is responsible for the car's lack of pace this year.

When the front wheels turn, they disrupt the intended airflow to the back of the car, and the critical rear floor area suffers an aerodynamic 'stall', robbing the car of downforce and grip on corner entry.

The problem is particularly acute on long corners, which is why the car performed better at Monaco last weekend, where short corners predominate, than at the previous race in Spain, where nearly all the corners are long.

This is an unforgivable error of design (which, er, they haven't forgiven and have sacked their head designer), but also testing. How on earth did it take them so long to realise this? It must have been obvious pretty early on as Barcelona has quick corners in it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44309487

This is an unforgivable error of design (which, er, they haven't forgiven and have sacked their head designer), but also testing. How on earth did it take them so long to realise this? It must have been obvious pretty early on as Barcelona has quick corners in it.
Sometimes design floors just get missed!

Antenagate.
MacBook Pro keyboard.

But yes pretty shocking.

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.