Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44309487

This is an unforgivable error of design (which, er, they haven't forgiven and have sacked their head designer), but also testing. How on earth did it take them so long to realise this? It must have been obvious pretty early on as Barcelona has quick corners in it.

Agreed. I had to do a double take while reading the article. I’m interested in seeing the fix, and the result. I’m hoping this is simply not just a desperate attempt to convince Mercedes to stay with them. It just seems unfathamable something like this goes on for so long without rectification. :apple:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Unclear if the spelling mistake is ingenious pun or genuine error ...
iu
lol

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So, RBR says the 2019 engine choice will be made after seeing the performance of the updated power units from Honda, and Renault at Canada. What will the deal maker be? Performance, reliability, another factor that is not performance related? :apple:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So, RBR says the 2019 engine choice will be made after seeing the performance of the updated power units from Honda, and Renault at Canada. What will the deal maker be? Performance, reliability, another factor that is not performance related? :apple:

I had thought that Renault wanted to terminate their contract with RBR after this year, but I see their contract with the FIA requires them to continue to supply RBR with engines if they want, so this is why they are still in the running with Honda.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I had thought that Renault wanted to terminate their contract with RBR after this year, but I see their contract with the FIA requires them to continue to supply RBR with engines if they want, so this is why they are still in the running with Honda.

IMO, is Honda able to supply two teams in 2019? They are not as deep in F1 as Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari with much of their focus still on their battle with Chevy in Indy Car. I've always felt 2020 would be the year for RBR to go Honda for this reason. However, with such a competitive chassis, modifications for a new engine provider could really change things for 2019. It's really about much more than simply the engine when one looks how the cars are designed around it. Canada is a huge race this year in many ways. :apple:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
IMO, is Honda able to supply two teams in 2019?

As I understand it, McLaren locked them into a sole-supplier agreement so they could have supported at least one other team, but were not allowed to.

Sauber was also considering Honda engines for this year before the new rules required that there be no difference in specification between Factory and Customer engines, so they now get the same Ferrari engine as the factory team and Haas.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
How is it possible to have the same exact engine as Ferrari or Mercedes and not perform anywhere near as well?

Poorer chassis design with higher weight and less mechanical and aerodynamic performance. Driver talent also probably plays a role, as well. And weaker team strategy ability (factory teams have more staff and computational power) so not able to execute as effectively during a race weekend.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
As I understand it, McLaren locked them into a sole-supplier agreement so they could have supported at least one other team, but were not allowed to.

Sauber was also considering Honda engines for this year before the new rules required that there be no difference in specification between Factory and Customer engines, so they now get the same Ferrari engine as the factory team and Haas.

Thanks. I was not aware they were locked by McLaren. :apple:

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So no sooner has Ricardo tried to make it a three way fight, than the F1 gods have other ideas.

The Canadian Grand Prix is challenging enough for a less powerful engine, but he's going to have grid penalties for excessive engine parts used. Probably starting at the back.
:(

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
So no sooner has Ricardo tried to make it a three way fight, than the F1 gods have other ideas.

The Canadian Grand Prix is challenging enough for a less powerful engine, but he's going to have grid penalties for excessive engine parts used. Probably starting at the back.
:(

Poor guy.. can't catch a break! For some optimism.. I would expect Red Bull to qualify 5th and 6th here. Daniel starting from the back with a safety car or some weather can still crack the top 5 and have a shiny new engine for France.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
At least he'll still be smiling.
I’ve felt for a little while that he’s been the only Red Bull driver that looks like he’s having fun there. Max always looks like he’s swallowed a wasp, even when he wins, and Vettel has noticeably loosened up since leaving RBR. Maybe it’s the pressure, and Ricciardo has just gone “f it”?

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ve felt for a little while that he’s been the only Red Bull driver that looks like he’s having fun there. Max always looks like he’s swallowed a wasp, even when he wins, and Vettel has noticeably loosened up since leaving RBR. Maybe it’s the pressure, and Ricciardo has just gone “f it”?
I think Ricardo always looks like he's enjoying himself. I hope he gets a championship winning car before his career ends.

I'm not so keen on Max. Not sure if all the attention went to his head too early or if he just thinks he should be the number 1 driver in the team.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

lol.lol.lol.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I think Ricardo always looks like he's enjoying himself. I hope he gets a championship winning car before his career ends.

I'm not so keen on Max. Not sure if all the attention went to his head too early or if he just thinks he should be the number 1 driver in the team.
I think being parachuted into Toro Rosso early and then RBR will not have helped his ego. I’m not sure Jos or Helmut Marko help. I’m impressed by Ricciardo as he’s handling this better than Webber did when Red Bull were favouring Vettel and putting in some great drives under a lot of pressure.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I’m impressed by Ricciardo as he’s handling this better than Webber did when Red Bull were favouring Vettel and putting in some great drives under a lot of pressure.

Even if team management views Max as the future, Ricciardo consistently outperforms him so that helps make him the de facto #1. Webber, on the other hand, generally played catch-up to Seb so he could never stamp his authority within the team.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice meltdown by Max with the media today.”I’m sick of being asked about my crashes.” Such a talented 10 year old. Maybe a year back in Karts will help him? Nah, just keep asking the questions. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nice meltdown by Max with the media today.”I’m sick of being asked about my crashes.” Such a talented 10 year old. Maybe a year back in Karts will help him? Nah, just keep asking the questions. ;)
Tough at the top isn't it! Maybe he should trade places with one of his hard working mechanics!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Tough at the top isn't it! Maybe he should trade places with one of his hard working mechanics!

He would not know where to start. It would involve too much retaining of what works and what does not. Obviously not a Mad Max strength. Max simply has a Prefrontal Cortex that never properly developed. It is possible at some point in his childhood he suffered trauma to his forehead. It does not take much to damage the area in the frontal lobe. But, it's simply speculation on my part based on years of working with people with TBI. He is textbook if you look it up. There are millions like him. He just happens to be an F1 driver for RBR and the results are more spectacular. He will never be a World Champion. :apple:

Last edited:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK

I think even learning from Lewis would go a long way. LH was similarly a bit gung ho in this early days, but has mellowed since and I’m struggling to remember the last time he truly threw a race result away. Max could do with a weekend where he qualifies 4th, finishes 4th and no drama.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think even learning from Lewis would go a long way. LH was similarly a bit gung ho in this early days, but has mellowed since and I’m struggling to remember the last time he truly threw a race result away. Max could do with a weekend where he qualifies 4th, finishes 4th and no drama.

Lewis never made the same error over, and over. All F1 drivers are gun ho in the beginning. Again, you are asking Max to "Learn." Not happening. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well he should in Canada. His car is the third best and he has the advantage of know penalties unlike Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.