Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Toyota for the win!!

So, are bets fairly set now for Alonzo in Indy with Team Andretti for the Triple Crown? I'm saying it's already a done deal. Great job Toyota. Show the Germans how it's done. ;)
[doublepost=1529259119][/doublepost]
I have to say the triple crown thing is pure PR. No one ever talked about it or even heard of it until recently.
I suppose it gives an outstanding driver, but ultimately under achiever to aim for.

Take your time reading. ;)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/what-motorsports-triple-crown-and-why-does-it-matter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So, are bets fairly set now for Alonzo in Indy with Team Andretti for the Triple Crown? I'm saying it's already a done deal. Great job Toyota. Show the Germans how it's done. ;)
[doublepost=1529259119][/doublepost]

Take your time reading. ;)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/what-motorsports-triple-crown-and-why-does-it-matter
Like I said no one talked about it for years. Well aware of what it is and who last won it. Just think it's a runners up trophy for a guy that nearly could have been a four of five time champion had he made some better decisions in his career.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
He left McLaren when they were the car to have. He left Ferrari as they started to be more competitive.
But hindsight makes us all excellent decision makers doesn't it.

Haha it sounds horrible when you spell it out like that, poor guy. I've become more impressed with Alonso in the past few years sticking it out through this tough period. Although, one could argue that part of being a great champion is not only your driving abilities, but also the ability to negotiate oneself into the right car at the right time.

Hamilton is a great example. Joins F1 in a competitive car, moves to the most dominant car to come a year before it happens. Result --> One of the greatest of all time.

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haha it sounds horrible when you spell it out like that, poor guy. I've become more impressed with Alonso in the past few years sticking it out through this tough period. Although, one could argue that part of being a great champion is not only your driving abilities, but also the ability to negotiate oneself into the right car at the right time.

Hamilton is a great example. Joins F1 in a competitive car, moves to the most dominant car to come a year before it happens. Result --> One of the greatest of all time.
Everyone thought he was mad to leave McLaren and join Mercedes. Shows what we all know!

Reactions: BenTrovato

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Alonso had pretty much poisoned his relationship with Ron Dennis and the team so they might have wanted him gone even if he had wished to stay.

And with Ferrari, as I recall team management had made it clear they wanted Vettel and would make him the de facto #1 driver so if Alonso had stayed he was going to be a support driver (ala Reubens, Massa and Kimi) and he was not going to accept that.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Topic:Circuit Paul Ricard

Since it has not been used in nearly 30 yrs do the younger drivers have an advantage? Will they adapt quicker than the seasoned veterans? Predictions on the first driver to make a wrong turn in P1? ;)

Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Topic:Circuit Paul Ricard

Since it has not been used in nearly 30 yrs do the younger drivers have an advantage? Will they adapt quicker than the seasoned veterans? Predictions on the first driver to make a wrong turn in P1? ;)

I was going to go with Max binning it in turn 1 right at the end of P3 :D but.. since he posted on Instagram this morning his Paul Ricard simulator laps, I'll go with Grosjean for an incident and Gasly producing a tremendous result.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
There's a ton more opportunity. Also, Honda and Red Bull both have deep pockets and now have four cars on the track.

True, but with new engine rules due in 2021 it will be interesting to see if RBR and Honda extend or if the rumors come true and RBR links up with Aston Martin for the next decade's engine formula.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
True, but with new engine rules due in 2021 it will be interesting to see if RBR and Honda extend or if the rumors come true and RBR links up with Aston Martin for the next decade's engine formula.
I think they'll stick with Honda if they are competitive. If not they will look at other options.
Let's be honest, if Adrian Newey can't design a car around a Honda power unit, then no one can.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I read that McLaren never truly designed their car around the engine which was a lot of the problems they had.

In the Grand Prix driver mini series, their relationship looked awful. Honda on one side, walking into this massive McLaren facility and failing repeatedly under pressure. Looked like two divided entities and no harmony, and that's what saw on track too. I'm surprised that it all occurred that way, and then also that it took so long to part ways.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I read that McLaren never truly designed their car around the engine which was a lot of the problems they had.

This is what I have heard, as well. Cooling was said to have been especially impacted by this. I hear McLaren is doing much the same with the Renault engine, as well, though the different packaging design between the two PSUs (turbo locations and such) meant McLaren had to make changes to the chassis to accommodate the swap so things are not quite as bad.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's hard to believe Honda would just get rolled over by McLaren like that. I know it's McLaren, but Honda is the largest racing engine manufacturer in the world.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm sure it'll come back to bite them in the ass. Looks like I'll have to stream the French GP race while the Japan Senegal match is under way. I like how the PiP trend died out...

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

This is still present with the overheating exhaust issues this years McLaren/Renault has. Sad days at McLaren. :apple:
[doublepost=1529537883][/doublepost]
This is what I have heard, as well. Cooling was said to have been especially impacted by this. I hear McLaren is doing much the same with the Renault engine, as well, though the different packaging design between the two PSUs (turbo locations and such) meant McLaren had to make changes to the chassis to accommodate the swap so things are not quite as bad.

Correct. The same song playing over, and over. :apple:
[doublepost=1529538388][/doublepost]
It's hard to believe Honda would just get rolled over by McLaren like that. I know it's McLaren, but Honda is the largest racing engine manufacturer in the world.

I think Honda fought as hard as possible right up until they left McLaren. McLaren has historically had this "reputation" of making the engine fit the chassis. They have not made the adjustment in design with the modern area Turbo V6, IMO.
It's hard to imagine such inability until we see Williams discovering a design flaw 1/3 into the season. Bring back the V10's and make everyone happy with only a slight hearing loss. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.