Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think Honda fought as hard as possible right up until they left McLaren. McLaren has historically had this "reputation" of making the engine fit the chassis. They have not made the adjustment in design with the modern area Turbo V6, IMO.
It's hard to imagine such inability until we see Williams discovering a design flaw 1/3 into the season. Bring back the V10's and make everyone happy with only a slight hearing loss. ;)
V10 isn't coming back. Mercedes would leave

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
V10's, V12's and an instant stop go penalty if the telemetry shows your lifting and coasting.

If the leader pulls away by more than 10 seconds, a sprinkler system kicks in making it a wet race.

If you don't overtake anyone on track (not lap), you only get half points (unless you lead from pole).

Now that would be fun!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
V10 isn't coming back. Mercedes would leave

I was injecting humor. ;)
[doublepost=1529594766][/doublepost]
V10's, V12's and an instant stop go penalty if the telemetry shows your lifting and coasting.

If the leader pulls away by more than 10 seconds, a sprinkler system kicks in making it a wet race.

If you don't overtake anyone on track (not lap), you only get half points (unless you lead from pole).

Now that would be fun!

Too funny. ;)

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
upload_2018-6-21_12-7-51.jpeg

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, Mercedes has the power. Will it be reliable? :apple:
I doubt they would have run it if not.

What do you think of those blue and red stripes? Very strange.

Just hope we see some overtaking on the track. With it almost certainly being a one stop race, I suspect the Mercedes might just disappear down the road. Well until grumpy Grozjan or Mad Max put it in the wall for the inevitable safety car.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

Just hope we see some overtaking on the track. With it almost certainly being a one stop race, I suspect the Mercedes might just disappear down the road. Well until grumpy Grozjan or Mad Max put it in the wall for the inevitable safety car.

Let's hope but it looks like a terrible track for overtaking.

What do you guys think of how horrible McLaren is looking? Can we say they're officially slower than Toro Rosso now?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I don’t care for the stripes, but it’s France so it’s understandable.
[doublepost=1529794815][/doublepost]
Let's hope but it looks like a terrible track for overtaking.

What do you guys think of how horrible McLaren is looking? Can we say they're officially slower than Toro Rosso now?

Yes they are slower than Toro Rosso. Should be interesting as Toro had one of their Honda’s emplode in P1. Looked fine in Q however.
[doublepost=1529795044][/doublepost]
Well they are still faster than Williams!

It’s sooo depressing though. Williams has sooo much racing heritage. They can’t solve things by simply firing people every week. :apple:
[doublepost=1529795435][/doublepost]Topic: Lewis Hamilton

Will he sign with Mercedes, and when? I think he wants to drive at Ferrari with Seb. EX: Senna/Prost. I also feel he would take a lower salary to go head to head with Seb.

How far would Ferrari go to keep Seb happy? Kimi for a one year again? Do you think Kimi is out regardless?

Mercedes will most likely have to go at least $60 Millon to keep him. They could have Daniel for half that.

I think Daniel and Seb at Ferrari would be a great combination. :apple:

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
How far would Ferrari go to keep Seb happy? Kimi for a one year again? Do you think Kimi is out regardless?

If Seb wins the WDC this year, I could see Kimi being let go and LeClerc being promoted. If Seb does not win the WDC, then I expect another year with Kimi.

Mercedes will most likely have to go at least $60 Millon to keep him. They could have Daniel for half that.

Mercedes can afford it. And he wins them WDCs and WCCs which is why they are in Formula One.

I think Daniel and Seb at Ferrari would be a great combination.

I just do not think Ferrari wants the drivers fighting themselves and prefers a dedicated #1 and #2. I don't see Daniel going to Ferrari to play Second Fiddle and I don't see Ferrari paying what they would need to get him when they can get LeClerc for a lot less.

Reactions: Glideslope

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I kinda agree with CWallace about the afe
If Seb wins the WDC this year, I could see Kimi being let go and LeClerc being promoted. If Seb does not win the WDC, then I expect another year with Kimi.

Mercedes can afford it. And he wins them WDCs and WCCs which is why they are in Formula One.

I just do not think Ferrari wants the drivers fighting themselves and prefers a dedicated #1 and #2. I don't see Daniel going to Ferrari to play Second Fiddle and I don't see Ferrari paying what they would need to get him when they can get LeClerc for a lot less.

I kind of agree with CWallace because that’s how it’s always been at Ferrari. However if they don’t win the constructors this year then something has to change. Seb is good but he’s not carry the team good.

Mercedes and Red Bull have a better 1-2 tandem to compete for points. Ferrari is 17 points of Merc but could still end up falling down to 3rd behind Red Bull if Kimi isn’t producing wins.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Deb won't want Lewis or Daniel there competing with him.
I also don't think Lewis wants to go to Ferrari and try to beat a team mate who has established himself as their number one.

I think Kimi gets another year or Leclerc.

Personally I think a young driver like LeClerc would make sense. Then when Vettel retires, you have a driver to take his place. If he doesn't seem like he'll be good enough at that point you can bring in someone else like Daniel.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It’s still early but so far the highlight of the race has been Vettel clipping Bottas on lap 1 and subsequently watching the Ferrari and Mercedes pass all the slower cars for the next 10 laps. Nail biting action :p

Reactions: pachyderm

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It’s still early but so far the highlight of the race has been Vettel clipping Bottas on lap 1 and subsequently watching the Ferrari and Mercedes pass all the slower cars for the next 10 laps. Nail biting action :p
Bottas' car is damaged. Merc is telling HAM to speed it up because Vettel is carving the field. He has a 5 second penalty but doesn't need to pit.
[doublepost=1529851988][/doublepost]And rain is coming. This is getting a little tense. bad news for anyone on something softer than soft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.