Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Odd question, the F1 was on on a TV behind us as we chomped down on some breakfast this morning at a local restaurant. Trying to work out who went out at around 3PM CST, 9AM EST. Looked like it may have been some sort of lock up followed by a direct beeline to the safety barrier at which point, from what I could tell, the race was stopped whilst the vehicle was retrieved.

Anyone got anything as to what happened and to whom? Just pondering is all...

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Another 'edge of your seat' GP ;)

There was some very good racing mid pack the first 25 laps. I think if Seb had not made the mistake there could have been some good racing up front between him and Hamilton. I know many in here don't care for the same teams up front all the time, but a good race up front could have been possible, IMO. Ferrari clearly had the pace as Seb charged back through. If he could have paced himself the first 25 laps I think Ferrari could have matched Mercedes pace.

Congrats as well to Mad Max for another well driven, well paced, error free finish. Can he keep it up? Nice drive by Kimi as well. He just keeps on going........ ;)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow! What utter carnage! And then Seb and others categorically proved all those saying you can’t overtake on this new track, wrong!
And another clean race by Max to bring it home in second with his team mate in fourth. But Kimi blasting pass Danny with ease isn’t good!

But Vettel hit two separate people! In the start! Poor driving.

Now we have two more races back to back yay!
[doublepost=1529864472][/doublepost]One thing I don’t get is Monaco then flying a few thousand miles to Canada and then a few thousand back to France? Why? Seems a bit nuts to me.

Also the poor Bottas bad luck strikes again. Is he going to get a break? Poor fella.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
One thing I don’t get is Monaco then flying a few thousand miles to Canada and then a few thousand back to France? Why? Seems a bit nuts to me.

Tradition I am guessing. Monaco has been on the same day as Indy as has Canada in June (often on Le Mans weekend) for as long as I can remember and I have been following the sport for decades. And two weeks between each is enough time to ship all the stuff.

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Had to wait for this evenings highlight show. Not the best race, but at least Sen and Bottas coming through the field was interesting.
Wonder what % Lewis ad his engine mode at?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Interesting side mods on the Silver Arrows. Very Ferrari like. ;)

Topic: Silly Season

Thoughts on 2019? I'm saying Lewis stays. Daniel stays. Bottas stays. LeClair to Ferrari, and Kimi back to McLaren. Anyone really think Mercedes would give Bottas' seat to Ocon? Does he need a win over Lewis in a fully competitive race to stay at Mercedes?

What are people thoughts on the 3rd DRS Zones? Artificial passing created? Spielberg is over 50% DRS now. What about putting drivers in control of DRS? Like Indy Car's Push to Pass?

The driver can only use so much DRS in a race. I think it would be more competitive than putting 3 and 4 DRS zones at tracks. IMO, this is Liberty's real goal in F1. :apple:

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think Lewis stays. Not so sure about Daniel.

As for Kimi, I think if Ferrari decides not to renew his contract, I suspect he won't want to go to McLaren to make up the numbers.
Probably just go and do rallying or something.

As for Alonso, I'm not sure. He'd love another title (heck even another win at this point!), but he must be thinking it's never coming at McLaren.
He engineered the split with Honda, but it's still not working for them.
Shame as McLaren and Williams are two of my favourite teams. Hate to see them struggling so.
[doublepost=1530360346][/doublepost]La Clerk has signed a two year deal at Ferrari.
Bye bye Kimi.

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
My guesses are Kimi retires.. LeClerc to Ferrari

I’ve got to think McLaren is trying to find a way to get Lando Norris into a drive next year. Bye bye Stoffel or bye bye Alonso. Daniel is the only one I’m not sure about.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
My guesses are Kimi retires.. LeClerc to Ferrari

I’ve got to think McLaren is trying to find a way to get Lando Norris into a drive next year. Bye bye Stoffel or bye bye Alonso. Daniel is the only one I’m not sure about.
Alonso would be crazy to go back to McLaren.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good performance from Bottas. He's pole man for tomorrow.
Lewis just behind.
Good qualifying from Grojan. But I think Daniel was just not happy today. He doesn't look like a man about to sign for RBR again to me.
Maybe the LeClerc news has made him realise that the Ferrari door has closed so his options are very limited going forward.
Shame as he is my second favourite driver.
Seems like a nice bloke.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As noted, unnamed sources are saying Leclerc has a two-year contract offer from Ferrari though Sky was also speculating he might move from Sauber to Haas for another year of "seasoning" before moving on to the Scuderia.

If Charles does go to Ferrari, I don't see Kimi going to McLaren. If Alonso can't succeed in that car, Kimi sure as heck is not and McLaren is going to demand he put in effort developing the car which no longer seems to be Kimi's interest. His WRC campaign was lackluster, but if he does decide to stay in racing, it will be WRC I imagine.

Daniel's options are stay at RBR or go to McLaren. Which isn't really an option since RBR is a heck of a lot better. And even if Team Management loves Max, Daniel has the performance to keep the team staff around him so no real worries of him being "Webbered".

I think Bottas is safe at Mercedes. He is a solid #2 who brings in the points to secure WCCs and he can win when Lewis is off-form. Ocon has shown brilliance, but he has also shown silliness. I don't think Wolf nor Lewis would want him. And Lauda said this weekend that Lewis and Bottas will be back for 2019.

Reactions: Glideslope

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
As noted, unnamed sources are saying Leclerc has a two-year contract offer from Ferrari though Sky was also speculating he might move from Sauber to Haas for another year of "seasoning" before moving on to the Scuderia.

It would be interesting if Leclerc's two year deal was 1 year at Haas and then promotion to Ferrari giving Kimi another season.

I think Wolff secretly loves Bottas. He's not going anywhere.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

If Charles does go to Ferrari, I don't see Kimi going to McLaren. If Alonso can't succeed in that car, Kimi sure as heck is not and McLaren is going to demand he put in effort developing the car which no longer seems to be Kimi's interest. His WRC campaign was lackluster, but if he does decide to stay in racing, it will be WRC I imagine.

Daniel's options are stay at RBR or go to McLaren. Which isn't really an option since RBR is a heck of a lot better. And even if Team Management loves Max, Daniel has the performance to keep the team staff around him so no real worries of him being "Webbered".

I think Bottas is safe at Mercedes. He is a solid #2 who brings in the points to secure WCCs and he can win when Lewis is off-form. Ocon has shown brilliance, but he has also shown silliness. I don't think Wolf nor Lewis would want him. And Lauda said this weekend that Lewis and Bottas will be back for 2019.
When you actually think about it, it's a choice between McLaren with their subpar everything or RBR with a suspect engine. I would lean towards trusting Honda and the RBR package against McLaren and their institutional incompetence.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
When you actually think about it, it's a choice between McLaren with their subpar everything or RBR with a suspect engine. I would lean towards trusting Honda and the RBR package against McLaren and their institutional incompetence.

And the Honda engine really isn't suspect when you consider only one DNF this season was due to engine failure. McLaren's packaging really hurt the Honda's reliability (and does not seem to be doing the Renault much good, either) and now that the TR chassis is giving it some room, it's holding up.

Reactions: Glideslope

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Lewis again complaining that he doesn’t think they will be able to overtake. I think Seb proved them all wrong in that theory last weekend!

Alonso will be off, he wants to win Indy Car for that triple crown thing they go on about.

Meh I’m looking forward to 2021 with the way it’s shaping up.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
And the Honda engine really isn't suspect when you consider only one DNF this season was due to engine failure. McLaren's packaging really hurt the Honda's reliability (and does not seem to be doing the Renault much good, either) and now that the TR chassis is giving it some room, it's holding up.

McLaren's packaging hurts every engine builder. :apple:
[doublepost=1530410913][/doublepost]
Lewis again complaining that he doesn’t think they will be able to overtake. I think Seb proved them all wrong in that theory last weekend!

Alonso will be off, he wants to win Indy Car for that triple crown thing they go on about.

Meh I’m looking forward to 2021 with the way it’s shaping up.

Yea, as always. For god sake man , you've got 3 DRS zones here. :apple:
[doublepost=1530411056][/doublepost]
nor i...
[doublepost=1530406813][/doublepost]so unless someone wrecks at turn 1, lap 1, the 3 place grid penalty on vettel will be the most exciting thing to happen this weekend?

I think we may see some interaction between RBR drivers. Max has been out of character the past 3 races. Back to norms Sunday for Mad Max. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.