Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Pre-race show was pretty good. They stepped up production for the British GP.

Today hoping for....
Kimi storms off into the lead eventually winning by 10 seconds.
Lewis and Seb fight tooth and nail all race for 2nd and 3rd but in the closing laps both Red Bulls reign them both in for a double podium.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pre-race show was pretty good. They stepped up production for the British GP.

Today hoping for....
Kimi storms off into the lead eventually winning by 10 seconds.
Lewis and Seb fight tooth and nail all race for 2nd and 3rd but in the closing laps both Red Bulls reign them both in for a double podium.
Well that isn't going to happen. Lewis demoted to the back courtesy of Kimi helping out Vettel!
Don't think it was deliberate, just a real shame.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Well that isn't going to happen. Lewis demoted to the back courtesy of Kimi helping out Vettel!
Don't think it was deliberate, just a real shame.

Been exciting to watch Lewis come through from last place. Not sure how I feel about Kimi's 10 second penalty. Seems harsh from some angles

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Been exciting to watch Lewis come through from last place. Not sure how I feel about Kimi's 10 second penalty. Seems harsh from some angles
I think there was plenty of room for Kimi.
Just shows how far ahead the top three teams are though. Lewis has done most of the field in 12 laps.
Kimi will have to stop again. Meanwhile Vettel will just be looking after his tyres for the afternoon.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
And once again with a safety car or a VSC, Mercedes don’t pit. If they lose out then heads will roll in their strategy department.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Highlight of the race so far. Track worker trying to get over the tire barrier after Grosjean exited. ;)
[doublepost=1531060895][/doublepost]Best race of the year.

Congratulations for the win to the best driver in F1. Ferrari on the WCC again. No podium for Mercedes without the Safety Cars.

Long live the Prancing Horse. ;)
[doublepost=1531061343][/doublepost]ROFLMAO. Lewis left the post race interview. What a tool. Back to Karts. Spoiled Brat. Average driver . :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinIllini

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Highlight of the race so far. Track worker trying to get over the tire barrier after Grosjean exited. ;)

Congratulations for the win to the best driver in F1. Ferrari closing on the WCC again. No podium for Mercedes without the Safety Cars.

???? Kimi takes out Lewis on lap 1 and yes the SC helps him, but you could also argue he'd have won without the crash.
Without the SC and the practically free pit stop, I think Kimi would have dropped further back. Possibly Vettel to if he'd had to of stopped.
But yes a good race. Lots of overtakes.

And Grojan and Max both find the gravel. How unusual!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
???? Kimi takes out Lewis on lap 1 and yes the SC helps him, but you could also argue he'd have won without the crash.
Without the SC and the practically free pit stop, I think Kimi would have dropped further back. Possibly Vettel to if he'd had to of stopped.
But yes a good race. Lots of overtakes.

And Grojan and Max both find the gravel. How unusual!

Racing incident with 10 sec penalty and he finishes 3rd. I rest my case. ;)

Reactions: AustinIllini

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Never been a Ferrari fan. They take the most money out of the sport regardless of where they finish.
Then they threaten to leave when rule changes don't suit them.
Lewis with a damaged floor goes from last to 2nd. Best driver on the grid by miles!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
And once again with a safety car or a VSC, Mercedes don’t pit. If they lose out then heads will roll in their strategy department.

Ferrari and Red Bull both had a set of new Soft tires for both drivers. Mercedes only had a used set of Soft and a used set of Medium for both drivers so the tires they had on the car were better than what they could put on in a pit stop.

Only because of back-to-back Safety Cars that both closed the field up and allowed Kimi to minimize wear on his new Softs.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Mac? Who's that then?

Haha Max, and it was a good race in the end, no idea what happened to Max actually? But good battle with Merc and Ferrari.... more of that please.
[doublepost=1531072082][/doublepost]

Congratulations for the win to the best driver in F1. Ferrari on the WCC again. No podium for Mercedes without the Safety Cars.

[doublepost=1531061343][/doublepost]ROFLMAO. Lewis left the post race interview. What a tool. Back to Karts. Spoiled Brat. Average driver . :eek:

Did he?. I didn’t see that! Why did he leave the interview?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haha Max, and it was a good race in the end, no idea what happened to Max actually? But good battle with Merc and Ferrari.... more of that please.
[doublepost=1531072082][/doublepost]

Did he?. I didn’t see that! Why did he leave the interview?
He didn't speak to Martin Brundle before the podium. I think that's what he is referring to.

Reactions: Glideslope

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Ferrari and Red Bull both had a set of new Soft tires for both drivers. Mercedes only had a used set of Soft and a used set of Medium for both drivers so the tires they had on the car were better than what they could put on in a pit stop.

I still think that’s a strategy issue. With the temperature and the tyre wear seen in Austria, a two stop was a distinct possibility. To be so tethered to one strategy to be so rigid is a strategy flaw in itself. Without the second safety car they’d have finished off the podium.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Only because of back-to-back Safety Cars that both closed the field up and allowed Kimi to minimize wear on his new Softs.

The SC also allowed Mercedes to minimize wear on the Silver Arrows tires as well. You’re point being that if Toto would have brought them in on the first SC they would have both finished on the podium?

Ferrari simply had the better pace, IMO. The left front issues went away once the fuel load was down (around 20 laps remaining.)

Ferrari also has a more efficient ERS than others, IMO. More power, more frequently. I don’t think this was ever going to be anything but a win for Vettel. SC or no SC.

I personally don’t see how one can make the argument that the two SC events were anything but a positive for Hamilton given he never pitted. :apple:
[doublepost=1531076692][/doublepost]
Haters are going to hate.
Best driver on the grid. He has proved that over his career time and time again.

Agreed. Hate him. Always have. Born with a Golden Spoon in his mouth. Always gets what he demands. Blames everyone else for his issues every time. Needs a full time Team Shrink. His childish behavior after each race does nothing but reinforce this. ;)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I still think that’s a strategy issue. With the temperature and the tyre wear seen in Austria, a two stop was a distinct possibility. To be so tethered to one strategy to be so rigid is a strategy flaw in itself. Without the second safety car they’d have finished off the podium.

The teams must present to Pirelli their tire allocations eight weeks prior to a European GP (and 14 weeks for a non-European GP) so they had decided on their Silverstone tires almost two months before they arrived at Austria. And the track has never been that hot for a British GP at Silverstone so they did not have any historical records to fall back on.

The SC also allowed Mercedes to minimize wear on the Silver Arrows tires as well. You’re point being that if Toto would have brought them in on the first SC they would have both finished on the podium?

My impression of your post was that Kimi's 10 second time penalty was too lenient considering he still finished in third place. My point was that IMO the main reason he finished in third place was the SC allowed him to close the gap to be right behind both Mercedes when the race resumed. If the SCs had not happened, the gap would have been larger and Bottas might have been able to hold on.

Bringing them in or not was, IMO, a moot point since Mercedes only had used Softs and used Mediums available so the new Mediums they had on the car were probably as good or better. The only new tires would have been Hards and those would have been definitely the wrong choice at that late stage.

Ferrari simply had the better pace, IMO. The left front issues went away once the fuel load was down (around 20 laps remaining.)

Fully agreed. I predicted a Ferrari 1-2 based on the qualifying temperatures being expected to carry on to the race (which they did). I expected Hamilton and Bottas to both suffer blistering and graining on their Softs and that Seb and Kimi would not blister (or blister as badly) based on the two team's Austrian performance in similar track temps.

The new asphalt might have thrown a bit of a curve since it made the track a bit more greasy and the Ferrari's were losing a bit of front end grip so they ended up blistering their fronts.

Ferrari also has a more efficient ERS than others, IMO. More power, more frequently. I don’t think this was ever going to be anything but a win for Vettel. SC or no SC.

It certainly helped Seb and Kimi in their passing of the RBRs and the SAs.

I personally don’t see how one can make the argument that the two SC events were anything but a positive for Hamilton given he never pitted.

Lewis was by far the fastest driver on new Mediums. He was taking out over a second a lap on Vettel and I expect he would have caught him and quite possibly passed him for the win if there was no SC events. The SC events allowed Vettel to switch to new Softs and protect them early in their stint, which allowed him to match or improve on Lewis' times and keep him behind him to the Checkered.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I personally don’t see how one can make the argument that the two SC events were anything but a positive for Hamilton given he never pitted. :apple:
[doublepost=1531076692][/doublepost]

Agreed. Hate him. Always have. Born with a Golden Spoon in his mouth. Always gets what he demands. Blames everyone else for his issues every time. Needs a full time Team Shrink. His childish behavior after each race does nothing but reinforce this. ;)
Agree the Ferrari was the better car this weekend.
Also think Hamilton was the driver of the day.
Coming through the field and making his tyres last was amazing.
Then keeping competive at the end.
The only thing he did wrong all weekend was to have a slow start.
Without that crash I feel it would have been a much better race between him and Vettel.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The teams must present to Pirelli their tire allocations eight weeks prior to a European GP (and 14 weeks for a non-European GP) so they had decided on their Silverstone tires almost two months before they arrived at Austria. And the track has never been that hot for a British GP at Silverstone so they did not have any historical records

My impression of your post was that Kimi's 10 second time penalty was too lenient considering he still finished in third place. My point was that IMO the main reason he finished in third place was the SC allowed him to close the gap to be right behind both Mercedes when the race resumed. If the SCs had not happened, the gap would have been larger and Bottas might have been able to hold on.

Bringing them in or not was, IMO, a moot point since Mercedes only had used Softs and used Mediums available so the new Mediums they had on the car were probably as good or better. The only new tires would have been Hards and those would have been definitely the wrong choice at that late stage.

Fully agreed. I predicted a Ferrari 1-2 based on the qualifying temperatures being expected to carry on to the race (which they did). I expected Hamilton and Bottas to both suffer blistering and graining on their Softs and that Seb and Kimi would not blister (or blister as badly) based on the two team's Austrian performance in similar track temps.

The new asphalt might have thrown a bit of a curve since it made the track a bit more greasy and the Ferrari's were losing a bit of front end grip so they ended up blistering their fronts.

It certainly helped Seb and Kimi in their passing of the RBRs and the SAs.

Lewis was by far the fastest driver on new Mediums. He was taking out over a second a lap on Vettel and I expect he would have caught him and quite possibly passed him for the win if there was no SC events. The SC events allowed Vettel to switch to new Softs and protect them early in their stint, which allowed him to match or improve on Lewis' times and keep him behind him to the Checkered.

Good arguments. I can agree with some. :apple:
[doublepost=1531081597][/doublepost]
Haters are going to hate.
Best driver on the grid. He has proved that over his career time and time again.

Clarification:
Too be fair I disliked Prost in the same manner if not more. So it’s not just a “Lewis” thing. :apple:

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good arguments. I can agree with some. :apple:
[doublepost=1531081597][/doublepost]

Clarification:
Too be fair I disliked Prost in the same manner if not more. So it’s not just a “Lewis” thing. :apple:
I always preferred Senna over Prost. But I see Lewis more like Senna and Vettel more like Prost tbh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.