Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
PU Failure lap 7. There needs to be an investigation into the **** PU’s Renault is currently supplying RBR IMO. :apple:

Just started watching it, damn you and your predictions!!! It’s all your fault haha..

Yeah are Renault deliberately giving them rubbish engines because they’ve ended their contract? Hopefully onto better times next year with Honda. Loved Max’s comments, can I not just keep going till I blow the engine up!

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Anybody else want to hit Bottas? Poor bloke!

Vettel had the tyres but decided to try and close the door rather than give the car width as the rules dictate.
Still I expect the FIA will do the usual Ferrari kiss up and just call it a racing incident.

Still Lewis was the man yesterday and today.
Massive win for him.

RBR had another disaster. Going to be a write off until next year. Just hope those Honda engines are all they hoped for.
Good drive for Gasley. I think we will see him in a RB next year if Daniel decides to move for the money to McLaren. But I think he'll sign to RBR again.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Vettel had the tyres but decided to try and close the door rather than give the car width as the rules dictate. Still I expect the FIA will do the usual Ferrari kiss up and just call it a racing incident.

Which, IMO, it was. And the Stewards agreed. Vettel had cleared Bottas and he checked his mirror to confirm so he turned in to protect the inside line on the exit. Valteri went in deep, rode the curb and I think that unsettled the car to limit his braking and caused him to hit Vettel.

They did tag him with a 10 second penalty for hitting Ricciardo, however, though it did not affect his fifth place finish.

Good drive for Gasley. I think we will see him in a RB next year if Daniel decides to move for the money to McLaren. But I think he'll sign to RBR again.

He'd be nuts to go to McLaren, IMO. Sounds like Sainz will go to McLaren and then Ocon will replace him at Renault, opening up Stroll to go to whatever Force India renames to.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Which, IMO, it was. And the Stewards agreed. Vettel had cleared Bottas and he checked his mirror to confirm so he turned in to protect the inside line on the exit. Valteri went in deep, rode the curb and I think that unsettled the car to limit his braking and caused him to hit Vettel.

They did tag him with a 10 second penalty for hitting Ricciardo, however, though it did not affect his fifth place finish.

He'd be nuts to go to McLaren, IMO. Sounds like Sainz will go to McLaren and then Ocon will replace him at Renault, opening up Stroll to go to whatever Force India renames to.
Agree he'd be nuts. But his options are limited. Stay at a team as the number 2 driver or move to a slower car. Shame.
I think if he'd got the move to Ferrari, he'd have shown up Vettel.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Anybody else want to hit Bottas? Poor bloke!

Vettel had the tyres but decided to try and close the door rather than give the car width as the rules dictate.
Still I expect the FIA will do the usual Ferrari kiss up and just call it a racing incident.

Still Lewis was the man yesterday and today.
Massive win for him.

RBR had another disaster. Going to be a write off until next year. Just hope those Honda engines are all they hoped for.

LOL, today was "Implement Plan 66" for Bottas. Always thought he was above that. No blame on Vettel. Outside of in here Bottas is seen as being a Battering Ram today. ;)
[doublepost=1532900889][/doublepost]
Just started watching it, damn you and your predictions!!! It’s all your fault haha..

Yeah are Renault deliberately giving them rubbish engines because they’ve ended their contract? Hopefully onto better times next year with Honda. Loved Max’s comments, can I not just keep going till I blow the engine up!

Yeah. I feel bad for the entire team. Max is handling it very well on camera. You can hear Horner in the interviews, and it's like "yea, they are screwing us." :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I don't think Valteri was intentionally hitting people. When he tagged Vettel, it was because he was on the curbs and didn't have the steering / braking and with Daniel, it does look like the lack of downforce from the wing damage made the car more difficult to control. That being said, he should have pitted for a new wing so I think that might be why the stewards hit him with the 10 second time penalty post-race as it was technically "avoidable contact".

As for Renault intentionally screwing RBR, I don't see it as RBR pays for the engines and I imagine Renault has to provide some form of compensation if the issue is with the PSU and not RBR installation and it's not a very good way to instill confidence in one's customer teams.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I don't think Valteri was intentionally hitting people. When he tagged Vettel, it was because he was on the curbs and didn't have the steering / braking and with Daniel, it does look like the lack of downforce from the wing damage made the car more difficult to control. That being said, he should have pitted for a new wing so I think that might be why the stewards hit him with the 10 second time penalty post-race as it was technically "avoidable contact".

As for Renault intentionally screwing RBR, I don't see it as RBR pays for the engines and I imagine Renault has to provide some form of compensation if the issue is with the PSU and not RBR installation and it's not a very good way to instill confidence in one's customer teams.

Good arguments. However, Horner feels differently, and made a very rare public assault on Renault post race. Renault Factory and McLaren are not having a PSU failure in every race.

I’m looking forward to a Honda PU in RBR in 2019. They have the reliability with Toro now, and the power is almost there. :apple:

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Horner has been bashing Renault for years. However I think it's easy to blame the engine (look at McLaren/Honda).
He often said that if they had a better engine to go with their best chassie they would have a winning car.
However I don't think the car is as good as they claim.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Unexpected move from Ricciardo. Bit risky but probably offered a load more money and No1 status. I reckon Sainz will replace him at RB or maybe Gasly will get a promotion from Toro R?

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Thoughts on Daniel going to Renault? Mistake IMO. Leclerc to Ferrari and Kimi to RBR? :apple:

what?
[doublepost=1533302617][/doublepost]where does Sainz go!?!?
[doublepost=1533302767][/doublepost]williams working a deal w/mercedes for gear their boxes too? cool.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Daniel to RBR is an acknowledgement he's not going to be a WDC so might as well make as much money as he can while he can. And of the three factory teams, Renault was the only choice he had. He probably also thinks that as bad as his Renault engines are this year, Honda engines next year will be even worse.

Williams buying Mercedes gearboxes is a no-brainer. They can't afford to keep designing their own to try and keep parity with what Mercedes has (as well as Force India, who use them, too). So it will save them money and improve performance.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Williams buying Mercedes gearboxes is a no-brainer. They can't afford to keep designing their own to try and keep parity with what Mercedes has (as well as Force India, who use them, too). So it will save them money and improve performance.

Can't believe it took them this long to work that deal though.

McLaren also needs to sort theirs out.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Can't believe it took them this long to work that deal though.

I imagine the issue was stubbornness by Williams in asking rather than recalcitrance by Mercedes to supplying.

McLaren also needs to sort theirs out.

I expect it is much the same with them - "We're a multiple Championship Winning Constructor. We don't need other people's help".

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I imagine the issue was stubbornness by Williams in asking rather than recalcitrance by Mercedes to supplying.

I expect it is much the same with them - "We're a multiple Championship Winning Constructor. We don't need other people's help".

agreed to both.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Thoughts on Daniel going to Renault? Mistake IMO. Leclerc to Ferrari and Kimi to RBR? :apple:

I think RBR have probably made it clear they’re going to support Max come what may. I can’t see Max ever playing fair with Ricciardo.

Sainz had a big falling out with Max so I’d think it’d be more likely that Gasly goes to Red Bull. BBC thought Ocon was going to Renault with Sainz to Mclaren and maybe Vandoorne to Toro Rosso which made some sense to me, though where that leaves Hulkenberg now I don’t know. Maybe Sainz and Hulkenberg to Mclaren? You’d think Mercedes would want Ocon in a more stable team than Force India (unless we see a Mercedes buyout of them, maybe under the Smart brand).

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think RBR have probably made it clear they’re going to support Max come what may. I can’t see Max ever playing fair with Ricciardo.

Sainz had a big falling out with Max so I’d think it’d be more likely that Gasly goes to Red Bull. BBC thought Ocon was going to Renault with Sainz to Mclaren and maybe Vandoorne to Toro Rosso which made some sense to me, though where that leaves Hulkenberg now I don’t know. Maybe Sainz and Hulkenberg to Mclaren? You’d think Mercedes would want Ocon in a more stable team than Force India (unless we see a Mercedes buyout of them, maybe under the Smart brand).

Good arguments. I don’t see Mercedes buying Force India however. Do you think Alonzo is in F1 for 2019, or racing in the states for Team Andretti? :apple:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Good arguments. I don’t see Mercedes buying Force India however. Do you think Alonzo is in F1 for 2019, or racing in the states for Team Andretti? :apple:

I’d have thought Fernando will be off to Indy. Mclaren are unlikely to be challenging for the title next year, so doing more ovals and getting used to them in preparation for the Indy 500 would seem a logical choice, he may even go for Le Mans again as he seemed to enjoy it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I gotta say, I really have no idea why Danni Rick has chosen to move to a mid tier team? Very very confusing move?
Mercedes and I believe Ferrari are sticking next year so it’s all just mid fielders who will be the movers and shakers.

Guess we’ll find out though. Well at least I won’t be betting (I mean thrown my money away on) on Daniel next season lol!!
[doublepost=1533403260][/doublepost]
I’d have thought Fernando will be off to Indy. Mclaren are unlikely to be challenging for the title next year, so doing more ovals and getting used to them in preparation for the Indy 500 would seem a logical choice, he may even go for Le Mans again as he seemed to enjoy it.

I think he enjoyed LeMans as it was the first three games he’s won in years haha! I thought he was going to do the triple anyway? Which for him only leaves the Indy 500.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I gotta say, I really have no idea why Danni Rick has chosen to move to a mid tier team? Very very confusing move?
Mercedes and I believe Ferrari are sticking next year so it’s all just mid fielders who will be the movers and shakers.

Guess we’ll find out though. Well at least I won’t be betting (I mean thrown my money away on) on Daniel next season lol!!
[doublepost=1533403260][/doublepost]

I think he enjoyed LeMans as it was the first three games he’s won in years haha! I thought he was going to do the triple anyway? Which for him only leaves the Indy 500.
Renault are a works team.
Also he can be their lead driver rather than RBR number two.
Neither team are going to deliver him much in the way of wins in the next 18 months.

And a RBR with a Honda engine next year, doesn't look like a Mercedes/Ferrari beating package to me.

Plus the up lift in pay probably doesn't hurt!

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.