Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Kimi's golden years were about 10 years ago!

Now, now, you know what I meant. No need to Kimi bash. Driving for a top team in your last year or two prior to leaving is how drivers like, Kimi, Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, and other past champions should exit. Obviously it’s not going to end up that way, but it’s nice when it can happen. :apple:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Maybe you're not watching Formula 1, but Haas is the best car in a field of 7 when it comes to realistic expectations.
o i'm watching
[doublepost=1534899301][/doublepost]it's sad that that is how we've been conditioned to think about the rest of the competitors.

the best of the rest mentality is what is wrong with F1 in general.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
"the best of the rest" mentality is what is wrong with F1 in general.

Indeed, but it's been that way since the mid-1980s as there is always one or two teams who can outspend everyone else and reap the benefits.

And I am not sure anything can be done to change that. Even if Liberty is able to impose a spending cap in the years ahead, just the "institutional knowledge" of McLaren, Williams, Ferrari and Red Bull will probably allow them to continue to stay in the lead.

You'd need to make Formula One a "spec series" with a common chassis and power unit (preferably both outsourced) and really limit the areas where the teams can spend R&D (as well as how much they can spend) to bring real equity between the factories and the "privateers". And at that point, you have Formula Two Plus, not Formula One.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.