Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
So is the consensus that most of us are waiting for a software fix? Or are people going through he exchange process to see if its just a bad "batch" of T2s?

Approaching the end of my return policy, and not sure what to do. I love the machine....you know......outside of not being able to use the speakers, and the possibility of it crashing spontaneously... haha

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
So is the consensus that most of us are waiting for a software fix? Or are people going through he exchange process to see if its just a bad "batch" of T2s?

Approaching the end of my return policy, and not sure what to do. I love the machine....you know......outside of not being able to use the speakers, and the possibility of it crashing spontaneously... haha
Don't take a risk just return it. Its a win win situation if they fix it as well

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
whoa, didnt even notice this thread till now - all mbps are messed up? I cant tell from going through this thread if it's a consistent issue, or just a lot of random people with the same issue. Is it an all models thing, or a percentage of imac/2018 pros?

More and more computers getting the same issue. It is very disheartening for some one who wants to buy this model

I've had mine in my cart for a week always just a second away from buying...

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
whoa, didnt even notice this thread till now - all mbps are messed up? I cant tell from going through this thread if it's a consistent issue, or just a lot of random people with the same issue. Is it an all models thing, or a percentage of imac/2018 pros?

I don't think anyone knows, but it seems like a fairly wide range of people are getting the issue across different areas, under different circumstances, etc.

It could be an issue that does/will affect most models. Or it could be a "bad batch" of these T2 chips....Some say a patch will be sufficient, others think its a hardware issue that would likely require a more intensive hardware repair.

Who knows....IF you can, may be worth waiting a bit to see if Apple can address it. At the moment I don't want to play any sound from my laptop (to risk damaging the speakers), and I am always saving everything because it could technically go into Kernel Panic anytime I close the lid.....

Regardless not what you want fro you $2300+

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
At the moment I don't want to play any sound from my laptop (to risk damaging the speakers)

wait, sound issues too?

Doing some research and it appears this is a small number so far?

"At this point, the number of reports doesn’t indicate that the problem is endemic to all 2018 MacBook Pro or iMac Pro machines, affecting a relatively small number of them."

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/26/2018-macbook-pro-kernel-panics/

I may hold off for another week to be safe...

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is a very strange bug. So many of you have this issue, and I’ve not had a single crash on my 2018 15”.

Yeah, I don't know if it's because all of us have different peripherals, software, etc. or if some of us have defective machines.

My gut tells me it's the former. But my gut also tells me to eat donuts and chocolate cake...

Reactions: navaira

samjacs

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2018
did you have anything connected ?

A fourth crash happened during the night, nothing was connected excepted the power supply.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-03 05:40:53.12 +0000",....
[doublepost=1533282355][/doublepost]

ADDED : just checked my HD with S.O.S : I've got the crypto_val warning message. Should I wipe my HD and do a re-installation from scratch ?
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)

Last edited:

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
On the "Cryto Val" side of things I think its something to do with the way apple constructed the HDD image on our mackbooks thats broken. The reason I say this is because I did a brand new time machine backup, then a diskcheck from inside the recovery partition (got the crypto etc crap) then rebooted and was left with a reinstall OSX message. Now I restored from time machine (NOT a fresh downloaded image from the network) and the crypto messages are gone, all working fine. If there was a broken file etc it would have been restored broken again from the time machine backup.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I cant tell from going through this thread if it's a consistent issue, or just a lot of random people with the same issue
I have posted threads regarding T2 issue on some Chinese Mac forums too. It seems that quite a number of ppl are getting this. I guess that makes it a wide-range issue, as least from my own observation.

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I received word today from a Senior Advisor I've been working with regarding this issue on my iMac Pro. He stated that Apple engineers are aware of the issue, that it is related to the T2 chip / Bridge OS, and occurring on both the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro. He said they do not have a fix at this time (obviously), but are aware and working on it. I guess now we all play the waiting game...
Does it mean that it is just a software issue instead of a hardware one. That's a relief.

Reactions: Marketh

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Every crash log 8've seen here are with bridge OS 2.4.1
Am I the only one who has a crash with Mojave which uses bridge OS 3.0 ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
ADDED : just checked my HD with S.O.S : I've got the crypto_val warning message. Should I wipe my HD and do a re-installation from scratch ?
That fixed it for me on my 13" 2018.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Well I just exchanged (figured I would try another one to further test the "bad batch" theory) will report if the new one has the same issue.

TV21

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
I got a 2018 15" 2.6/16GB/1TB unit last friday.
Over the last couple of days it seems to be crashing. It even happened when I turned it off!

I ran disk util from recovery mode and got the crypto val errors, but disk util said all was well. really odd.
I can see some people are fixing it themselves, but I'm not 100% clear on the process.
I did a full backup.

I have not wiped the disc.

Here is what I assume I need to do:

1. boot into recovery mode
2. select reinstall OSX
3. restore from backup

Questions:
a. should I wipe the disc first?
b. should I get the OS from my backup or online?

thanks in advance!

BTW, I upgraded from a 2012 MacBook Air, so this is a significant improvement. Assuming its not a lemon of course.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I ran disk util from recovery mode and got the crypto val errors, but disk util said all was well. really odd.
I can see some people are fixing it themselves, but I'm not 100% clear on the process.
command-option-r boot to Internet recovery (not command-r regular recovery). Once the recovery screen comes up use Disk Utility to erase the whole disk to APFS. Then quit Disk Util and reinstall the OS. When it restarts use the import tool (Migration Assistant) that comes up to bring in your data and apps etc from a Time Machine backup or clone.

That got rid of the crypto val errors for me.

Reactions: bwintx and TV21

TV21

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
command-option-r boot to Internet recovery (not command-r regular recovery). Once the recovery screen comes up use Disk Utility to erase the whole disk to APFS. Then quit Disk Util and reinstall the OS. When it restarts use the import tool (Migration Assistant) that comes up to bring in your data and apps etc from a Time Machine backup or clone.

That got rid of the crypto val errors for me.

Thanks. It looks like I'll have to do that. I called Apple and ran through the disk util and read the errors to them.
I was guided to reinstall the OS over the existing. It seems to reinstall without overwriting anything, so all my stuff is still there. Did NOT work. I get the error in disk util still. Not so many, but they are there.

They are calling me back in a few and I'll see what they recommend. I am 99% sure I will end up doing what you describe above. Not sure whats worse, this issue getting out past QA, or the fact I know more about it than support at this point.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Weaselboy

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA

Me too. I can't afford to handle those issues at this time as I am busy.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Out of curiosity, the crypto_val error seems to be possibly related to the BridgeOS crashes...does anyone know what this error actually means? I'd assume it has something to do with the native SSD encryption that is handled by the T2, but am wondering if anyone has technical insights into what is really going on when this error crops up. It is indeed disturbing that machines seem to be coming from the factory with this error present!

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
A fourth crash happened during the night, nothing was connected excepted the power supply.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-03 05:40:53.12 +0000",....
[doublepost=1533282355][/doublepost]

so you just open the lid on your mbp that was left connected over night to the power supply and you got that error immediately? or after the login to your account?

TV21

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
so you just open the lid on your mbp that was left connected over night to the power supply and you got that error immediately? or after the login to your account?

I had that happen just now. I closed the lid for an hour and when I reopened it, the screen was black. rebooted and got to login screen. I logged in and then I got the crash error. Support calls are 3 for me today. They seem to not know what is going on. I actually added my incident ID to my crash report, so maybe they can connect the dots.

Of note, they had me remove my external 2TB drive.

Now they have had me wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Seems like they are reading this forum post.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I had that happen just now. I closed the lid for an hour and when I reopened it, the screen was black. rebooted and got to login screen. I logged in and then I got the crash error. Support calls are 3 for me today. They seem to not know what is going on. I actually added my incident ID to my crash report, so maybe they can connect the dots.

Of note, they had me remove my external 2TB drive.

Now they have had me wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Seems like they are reading this forum post.

Wiping the drive will get rid of the crytpo_val errors, but there is no evidence that these have anything to do with the Bridge OS crashes. Note that I had multiple crashes since wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS and supplemental update.

For the last four nights, I have unplugged everything except the power adapter (notably the Thunderbolt 3->2 adapter was not plugged in) and it hasn't crashed at all during sleep.

All these suggestions from Apple (unplug peripherals, disable Power Nap, disable wake with Apple Watch, etc.) seem to just be minimizing all the things the T2 chip controls. That's not so much a "fix" as it is a crippling. I doubt there are very many people who bought these things that don't plug peripherals into it.
[doublepost=1533324534][/doublepost]
Does it mean that it is just a software issue instead of a hardware one. That's a relief.

How did you come to that conclusion? Just because they're working on it doesn't mean it isn't a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.