Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
when we see this crashing the most ? when we close the lid and open from sleep?
its happening on all 2018 models?

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
If the panic crash is related to T2 chip, do you actively use touch bar? I’m wondering if someone who don’t get panic use less frequently the touch bar.
T2 does a lot more than touch bar. But my panic happened around the time when I modified the touch bar setting and used a lot. I also found a bug that icons not aligned as I configured. Maybe this could be a triggering action of the panic crash?
Good analysis, you should post a video on YouTube as there ain’t many youtuber talking about this issue at the moment.

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
If the panic crash is related to T2 chip, do you actively use touch bar? I’m wondering if someone who don’t get panic use less frequently the touch bar.
T2 does a lot more than touch bar. But my panic happened around the time when I modified the touch bar setting and used a lot. I also found a bug that icons not aligned as I configured. Maybe this could be a triggering action of the panic crash?

This issue started on the iMac Pro, which has a T2 but no Touch Bar, so I'd say the Touch Bar is not the source of the issue.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Well I had a previously perfect base 15inch MacBook Pro. Just had closed the lid, and opened it a couple hours later. Noticed I had to re-enter my password for TouchID (so it had restarted), and when I got back into the OS I got the "you're computer restarted because of a problem" with the details indicating the BridgeOS issue. smh...

Reactions: Lvivske

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
Well I had a previously perfect base 15inch MacBook Pro. Just had closed the lid, and opened it a couple hours later. Noticed I had to re-enter my password for TouchID (so it had restarted), and when I got back into the OS I got the "you're computer restarted because of a problem" with the details indicating the BridgeOS issue. smh...
More and more computers getting the same issue. It is very disheartening for some one who wants to buy this model

fwmls

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
This issue started on the iMac Pro, which has a T2 but no Touch Bar, so I'd say the Touch Bar is not the source of the issue.

That's right.

Some iMac users claim that Apple TB3->TB2 adapter causes kernel panic. My MBP 2018 also panicked when the adapter was connected. However, there are people who get panics without connecting any but power source during sleep. Maybe we are dealing with some deeper problem of T2..

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
That's right.

Some iMac users claim that Apple TB3->TB2 adapter causes kernel panic. My MBP 2018 also panicked when the adapter was connected. However, there are people who get panics without connecting any but power source during sleep. Maybe we are dealing with some deeper problem of T2..

I've gone three days in a row without a crash since I unplugged my TB3->TB2 adapter from my 2018 MacBook Pro. I used to let it sleep with the adapter attached (but nothing attached to it was powered on) and it crashed with the Bridge OS error 5 nights out of the first 7 of ownership during sleep.

It's weird, because the error report says "running" even though the computer was sleeping. Does this mean the adapter wakes up the computer and causes a crash? I used to also just let my LG 34UM95 monitor sleep when attached to this adapter, but it would power on briefly with a gray "no signal" screen several times during the night while the computer was supposed to be sleeping so I started turning it off overnight. Coincidence?

I've read that others have experienced crashes with nothing but the power adapter attached, but I haven't seen this on mine yet. However, I'm only on day three of unplugging everything before sleeping the computer so that may change.

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Had it again tonight, so that's two nights in a row. Seems to happen when it closed for longer than 20 minutes. Panic massage was 'Shutdown S2R notification by AP host is invalid while remote host is enabled.'

Edit:
It wasn't plugged in or anything, no adapters, no power and 80%+ battery.

Last edited:

samjacs

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2018
Hi, you can count one more mac pro 15" with the "iBridge" crash problem : my newly mac crashed already 4 times even with and after the last macos update for this particular machine. Hope it's not a real hardware problem.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Hi, you can count one more mac pro 15" with the "iBridge" crash problem : my newly mac crashed already 4 times even with and after the last macos update for this particular machine. Hope it's not a real hardware problem.
did you have anything connected ?

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
I quite nervously closed the lid on my new 13" (i5/16GB/512GB) last night while I watched some TV. Thankfully opened it up again and all was well. Touch-wood.

Also - I'm guessing the same issues with the iMac Pro just weren't as well known purely because the machine doesn't sell anywhere near as many units as the MBP?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Just got a brand new 15 BTO MBP this morning.

Had the crypto_val errors

Rebooted using Cmd+R
Erased the drive
Reinstalled macOS
Skipped all the Siri, iCloud TouchID things at first launch
Went to Disk Utility
Clicked First Aid and....

No more errors.

MacOS version is 10.13.6 (17G2112)

Installing the supplemental update, if it changes something, will let you know.

Waiting to see if I have this BridgeOS error, other than that, just love this machine so far, coming from a 2015 MBPr which by the way have reboot / crash thing when I am putting it out of sleep. So not sure this is so specific to the 2018 version even though I never looked at the logs to check why it happened.

The Boatman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
If reinstalling OS X does fix the crypto_val errors, might it be worth hanging on until Mojave is released, as you will be installing a new OS then anyway?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
If reinstalling OS X does fix the crypto_val errors, might it be worth hanging on until Mojave is released, as you will be installing a new OS then anyway?
why? since i understand, there are people with this error on beta Mojave

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Are there? I’ve seen the question (does this happen with beta Mojave) asked, but not answered
I hope you are right but, let me search because i think few pages behind there was an user/users with Mojave
[doublepost=1533208270][/doublepost]Ok, it seems that no one on Mojave is reporting this issue

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I
I hope you are right but, let me search because i think few pages behind there was an user/users with Mojave
[doublepost=1533208270][/doublepost]Ok, it seems that no one on Mojave is reporting this issue
Just installed Mojave and will give a feedback if it happens.
[doublepost=1533210822][/doublepost]
I

Just installed Mojave and will give a feedback if it happens.
Ok didn't took it long... just had one.

I opened the lid, plugged in an adaptation which was plugged to a USB cable connecting all this to another adaptation UGREEN I use to connect fo Ethernet and some external drives at the same time. Keyboard was unresponsive. TouchBar wasn't showing anything. Screen was on the desktop but no pointer available to use the TouchPad.

After a few seconds, it shut down with a very quick full blast from the fans.

At reboot I sent the report to Apple.

Here is the first line of my Panic log :
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50345e)","timestamp":"2018-08-02 11:43:43.94 +0000","incident_id":"4B4A2FFD-6FBD-4FB2-8B4C-E824E190BB41"}

Sent a report via Feedback assistant just in case...

Last edited:

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Just got a brand new 15 BTO MBP this morning.

Had the crypto_val errors

Rebooted using Cmd+R
Erased the drive
Reinstalled macOS
Skipped all the Siri, iCloud TouchID things at first launch
Went to Disk Utility
Clicked First Aid and....

No more errors.

MacOS version is 10.13.6 (17G2112)

Installing the supplemental update, if it changes something, will let you know.

Waiting to see if I have this BridgeOS error, other than that, just love this machine so far, coming from a 2015 MBPr which by the way have reboot / crash thing when I am putting it out of sleep. So not sure this is so specific to the 2018 version even though I never looked at the logs to check why it happened.
I wiped the drive to get rid of the crypto val errors too. The Bridge OS errors still happened after.

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I received word today from a Senior Advisor I've been working with regarding this issue on my iMac Pro. He stated that Apple engineers are aware of the issue, that it is related to the T2 chip / Bridge OS, and occurring on both the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro. He said they do not have a fix at this time (obviously), but are aware and working on it. I guess now we all play the waiting game...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.