Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
I think this issue is not receiving the attention like the throttle gate. Less youtubers talking about it. No public outcry. Its really bad for the people affected.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think this issue is not receiving the attention like the throttle gate. Less youtubers talking about it. No public outcry. Its really bad for the people affected.

What's interesting is that I never contacted Apple directly. They contacted me after I posted on the Apple Discussion Forums. This definitely has their attention. However, since they've already seen this problem with the iMac Pros and haven't yet been able to fix it, it's worrisome.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
1) I haven't had any KP while the unit is sleeping. It seems to happen when I pick the unit up (to move from table to lap, etc). The OS will freeze, fans kick full blast for 1 sec then it reboots. The crash log does mention bug type 210 & Bridge OS though...

2) No devices attached

3) Am still deciding if I should swap or wait to see if there will be a software fix as there are clearly lots of people involved. My only concern though is because my issue happens mostly when I am physically picking it up, it seems to be hardware related that may not be able to be fixed without repair/swap.
I would agree, it sure sounds like a hardware issue to me. Can’t imagine a software fix could help you.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This definitely has their attention. However, since they've already seen this problem with the iMac Pros and haven't yet been able to fix it, it's worrisome.
From what little I've read, they have made some progress, i.e., updates that for many people have reduced the crashes. That may be of little comfort to those who are still dealing with it, I understand but short of returning the mac if its in the return window, or exchanging it. I'm not sure there's anything else that can be done.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I've had one crash, but I've not really used the system aggressively yet as I'm waiting to hear about the sleep chiming issue.. I don't want to load all my stuff on if there's any chance they want to replace or examine the system still.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
You contacted apple regarding the issue right? Still no response from them yet?

I haven't contacted them yet. It only happened twice so far and the first one I'm not even sure was the same type of crash, so I'm holding out unless it continues to happen.

fwmls

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
What I find most troubling is the fact that 9 out 10 times when you get a 'senior' advisor on the phone from Apple that you know way more than they do. They are simply reading a script with no real world experience and having no clue how to even begin solving your issue.
Exactly! Also when they presume the issue is on my side, not their/Apple side.

Reactions: dspdoc

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
There was a time when the "senior advisor" would actually be really knowledgeable and same for the "geniuses" at the store. I don't know what has happened but they are mostly dumber than a rock now. They will start with "they have never heard of or encountered the issue before".... and right after hearing that you go FML.

I have had such encounters myself, remember the apple tv recall with wifi issue? Walk in with your apple tv having wifi issue and they are suppose to swap it out as the fix was hardware related. The genius argues that he has never heard of the program i must be confusing it with something else, apple tv is rock solid and he will try to simply reset it for me and hand it back to me to go back home and try it. Goes back come back 15 minutes later, "o you were right, there is a replacement program and I and my colleagues in the back have never heard about it".

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Seems that it’s just you. Sorry man, have you tried to return it?

I did return it yesterday. Funny enough, I submitted a bug report with Apple the morning before I exchanged the computer and they are now asking me for all sorts of system reports and panic logs... damn too late wish I could help them.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Well, just had another crash... This time I submitted the bug report to Apple. Frustrating because I love everything else about this machine.

So far I've had three crashes in total. Two were when I was actively using the laptop by itself and not connected to my external monitor or anything else (except power). The other time was when the MBP was sleeping while connected to my external monitor.

The very first thing I did when I received the computer was boot into Recovery mode, erase the drive, format as APFS, and reinstall OS X. I also don't have any of the crypto_val warnings others are seeing when running First Aid.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well, just had another crash... This time I submitted the bug report to Apple. Frustrating because I love everything else about this machine.

So far I've had three crashes in total. Two were when I was actively using the laptop by itself and not connected to my external monitor or anything else (except power). The other time was when the MBP was sleeping while connected to my external monitor.

The very first thing I did when I received the computer was boot into Recovery mode, erase the drive, format as APFS, and reinstall OS X. I also don't have any of the crypto_val warnings others are seeing when running First Aid.
I have a replacement on the way. I'm not optimistic, but I'll give it a shot. If it starts crashing too, I'm getting a refund.

drecc

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
I've just had my first "Bridge OS 2.4.1" crash (2018 15" MBP i9).

I'm also having huge problems with getting the laptop to wake up my external monitor (4k LG 31MU97).

I have to open the lid of the MBP, log in, unplug the external monitor, and plug back in.

Today, it's taken several minutes of unplugging and re-plugging in the external monitor to get it to activate.

I think these T2 problems are related to the use of USB-C. I've got a USB-C->Displayport cable connected. I also have the Belkin USB-C->Ethernet dongle as sold by the Apple Store.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I have a replacement on the way. I'm not optimistic, but I'll give it a shot. If it starts crashing too, I'm getting a refund.
Apple sells a couple hundred thousand MBP per week, so at this point there should be enough of them getting out into the field to where they’ll be able to collect enough data to track down this bug or bugs (likely more than one failure mode, and they may or may not be related.)

If your particular issue is software related, swapping the hardware won’t make any difference. At that point, the question would be, what’s different about your software installation? If QA were seeing this problem in house, it’s extremely unlikely they would have shipped anyway. Daily crashes would never be acceptable and the OS would never have been cleared for release.

My guess would be that the computer you get, with the software that’s installed, would not exhibit any problems. But who uses their computer like that? No one!

So you restore the files you need from another machine, and you start having kernel panics. Why? Something’s not playing nice with the OS, but the typical user hasn’t got the skill set to figure it out, nor should they have to! That should go without saying.

Apple will figure this out, KPs happen for a reason. Hopefully it will be soon, and you’ll have a system that operates the way it should—months and then years with no KPs. Until then, I’m afraid it’s going to be a huge PITA :(

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing

Is this your model ? “2018 MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar - 2.3GHz i5 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD"

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Did you have any crypto_val errors before you wiped the hard drive?

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
I did a HD wipe and clean install straight out of the box to avoid the crypto errors altogether. So far still no KP as of yet. Really hoping the engineers are on this for us all. If it is a hardware issue things are going to get pretty ugly for Apple.
Good to know. Will be great if you can keep us posted on your new device!

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
What apps come preinstalled on a brand new Mac?

The ones I specifically didn't want are iMovie, GarageBand, Numbers, and I'm forgetting what else. It's definitely not necessary, just something I've always done. I like starting from scratch with a bare OS install for each new computer.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Mine was delivered yesterday... was stressing about this issue, but so far, so good. No crashes.

2018MBP.png

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I have the same sleep/wake issue on the 2018 MBP 15" as I've experienced on my 2016. Connect it to a display, let it sleep a bit, then I try to wake it with lifting the lid, disconnect/connect the cable and touching both internal and external keyboard/trackpad. No response. Black screen, unresponsive, fans blowing at max. Hard reboot and back again.

Have installed the supplemental update, and it happened after an hour of use. Just browsing, setting up and dragging apps into the Application folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.