Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I'm running the 13" 2018 MBP with the LG 5K monitor and I am not having KPs at all, so it is not likely the LG monitor on its own causing this for others.

My experience with my iMac Pro is that it only crashes when my LG 4K monitor is connected; without the monitor attached it’s rock solid, so the monitor is an expensive paper weight at this point. I just got a 2018 15” MBP, but haven’t tested it with the monitor yet. Will try to do so this weekend and report back.

Reactions: G5isAlive

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So in the midst of trying to do a clean install of macOS on my new MBP I discovered yet ANOTHER oversight on Apple's part that has to do with startup security settings. I have documented it here in a video. All I can do at this point is SMH.

Ok, so let's marked this as SOLVED. In order to re-enable startup security settings you have to boot into recovery using opt-cmd-R as opposed to just cmd-r in order for the proper download to take place from Apple's server. I figured this out by trying the many different key commands to boot into recovery. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Ok, so let's marked this as SOLVED. In order to re-enable startup security settings you have to boot into recovery using opt-cmd-R as opposed to just cmd-r in order for the proper download to take place from Apple's server. I figured this out by trying the many different key commands to boot into recovery. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Kudos to you for your efforts and diligence in solving the problem. Apple should hire you.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Kudos to you for your efforts and diligence in solving the problem. Apple should hire you.
Thank you for the kind words. I just want to do whatever I can to help Apple become a better company for us all. What I find most troubling is the fact that 9 out 10 times when you get a 'senior' advisor on the phone from Apple that you know way more than they do. They are simply reading a script with no real world experience and having no clue how to even begin solving your issue. Having had a love/hate relationship with Apple over the past 24 years has made me realize that in all actuality it is far more love than hate. I would be devastated if the company that I and people like yourself have invested so much of themselves into tanked.

Last edited:

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Just had my second kernel panic. Put it to sleep last night, woke up in the morning and was welcomed with the Apple logo.

"Your computer has shut down because of a problem."

This ****ing blows.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Just had my second kernel panic. Put it to sleep last night, woke up in the morning and was welcomed with the Apple logo.

"Your computer has shut down because of a problem."

This ****ing blows.
Man I am so sorry about this. You are not alone in your frustrations. That is how I discovered my first KP. I just went to make something to eat in the kitchen and came back to the same message. I really hope the engineers are digging deeply into this. I was told that they would be and/or are.

Reactions: TH3D4RKKN1GH7

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Mine just had its first crash since completely wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything. Bridge OS Error again during sleep. Woke up the "your Mac has restarted due to a problem" message. I had only the power cable and a Thunderbolt 3/2 adapter (with no TB devices powered on in case the frequent waking of the monitor was the culprit).

BTW, you can find these panic logs in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge within Console.
[doublepost=1532809176][/doublepost]I think the worst part of this is not being able to TRUST an expensive computer that I depend on to make a living. I'm really worried that if this hasn't been fixed yet after having T2 iMac Pros out for so long, we just have to live with the crashes or return the machines.

Reactions: knweiss

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
Mine just had its first crash since completely wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything. Bridge OS Error again during sleep. Woke up the "your Mac has restarted due to a problem" message. I had only the power cable and a Thunderbolt 3/2 adapter (with no TB devices powered on in case the frequent waking of the monitor was the culprit).

BTW, you can find these panic logs in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge within Console.
[doublepost=1532809176][/doublepost]I think the worst part of this is not being able to TRUST an expensive computer that I depend on to make a living. I'm really worried that if this hasn't been fixed yet after having T2 iMac Pros out for so long, we just have to live with the crashes or return the machines.

That is horrible. I just picked a brand new MBP i7/16GG, has pretty much the same specs as the one returned yesterday except for the i9 and 32Gb of ram. I’ll test today if it crashes, I was gonna test with nothing plugged to it but based on what you did, it does not matter.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
"MacRumors reached out to Apple, which told us that this is not a widespread issue, nor one that it has received any direct reports about."

Knock on wood, I'm not having this problem with my iMac Pro or MBP, but I always love it when forums (including Apple's own) are overflowing with posts from users having a particular issue (and have been in touch with Apple), and Apple's response to the media is, "hmmm... this is the first we're hearing of it."

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
"MacRumors reached out to Apple, which told us that this is not a widespread issue, nor one that it has received any direct reports about."

Knock on wood, I'm not having this problem with my iMac Pro or MBP, but I always love it when forums (including Apple's own) are overflowing with posts from users having a particular issue (and have been in touch with Apple), and Apple's response to the media is, "hmmm... this is the first we're hearing of it."
LOL. "Direct reports" from whom? Many of us have in fact contacted Apple directly.
[doublepost=1532823556][/doublepost]
Man I am so sorry about this. You are not alone in your frustrations. That is how I discovered my first KP. I just went to make something to eat in the kitchen and came back to the same message. I really hope the engineers are digging deeply into this. I was told that they would be and/or are.
Has your replacement machine crashed? I don't see any point in exchanging mine for a new one. I get the feeling they all do this.

Reactions: knweiss and dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
LOL. "Direct reports" from whom? Many of us have in fact contacted Apple directly.
[doublepost=1532823556][/doublepost]
Has your replacement machine crashed? I don't see any point in exchanging mine for a new one. I get the feeling they all do this.
It has not crashed yet, but I’ve only had it one day and barely used it so far.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France

Hoe does the log look like, specifically?
I have 3 files: deviceMetadata.proxy, tasking.ca1.proxy, tasking.da3.proxy

Does that mean I am concerned by these?

I just had 2 crashes in 10 days: MacBook Pro just froze and nothing was responsive. I did a hard reboot. Where can I find info about these crashes?

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It has not crashed yet, but I’ve only had it one day and barely used it so far.
I guess you need to let it sleep for a while and see if it wakes up reporting the crash, eh? Did you run Disk Utility on your new machine to check for the crypto_var errors?
[doublepost=1532846878][/doublepost]
Hoe does the log look like, specifically?
I have 3 files: deviceMetadata.proxy, tasking.ca1.proxy, tasking.da3.proxy

Does that mean I am concerned by these?

I just had 2 crashes in 10 days: MacBook Pro just froze and nothing was responsive. I did a hard reboot. Where can I find info about these crashes?
Those sound like different crashes than the Bridge OS ones we're discussing here. Check the Console app in the path I specified above to see if you have any of these crashes in your logs.
[doublepost=1532846989][/doublepost]
Nope, although I did have this happen sometimes on my 2016 MBP. The issue being discussed here is the machine rebooting all by itself (usually during sleep) and displaying "your Mac has restarted due to a problem."

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
These are the logs in the path you mentioned. Not sure if it is related or not to your crashes or if they refer to the 2 crashes I had since I bought my Mac 10 days ago.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
These are the logs in the path you mentioned. Not sure if it is related or not to your crashes or if they refer to the 2 crashes I had since I bought my Mac 10 days ago.
Do you have a "ProxidedDevice-Bridge" folder you're looking in?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 11.51.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 11.51.42 PM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 257

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I do, I guess. You confirm I am impacted by the same bug as you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 3.13.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 3.13.09 PM.png
    409.8 KB · Views: 391

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I do, I guess. You confirm I am impacted by the same bug as you?
Nope, that's something different. The one we're talking about here will have this line at the top of the window on the far right: {"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)"

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
JUST HAD ANOTHER ONE.

I just finished watching a film on Netflix and kind of left the computer idle for a bit. I turn back to it and the Apple logo is there because it just had another kernel panic. Same bug_type: 210 stuff about Bridge OS. They've got to get this **** sorted immediately.

Reactions: p8blr

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Is this a universal issue on all of the new MacBook Pro's? I don't think mine has had this issue pop up yet but am now a little worried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.