Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Ah so you did not do a clean install by wiping the drive and then installing fresh from either a USB drive or from recovery. Well I have some really bad news for everyone. Apple has done something that has screwed these new MBPs up so bad that you cannot do a clean install of the OS. It gets stuck in a perpetual loop. I dare anyone to try. My machine is being returned tomorrow for a refund. I am beside myself with disgust over this latest fiasco of a release. A train wreck from day one.

Maybe you could try to boot into recovery with a different key combination?: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I know you can't boot from external devices (including USB) because of the new encryption thing. I have no idea why recovery isn't allowing you to install though. Maybe the Apple servers are down? Sorry you're going through this, man...

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Well I have some really bad news for everyone. Apple has done something that has screwed these new MBPs up so bad that you cannot do a clean install of the OS. It gets stuck in a perpetual loop. I dare anyone to try.

Your frustration is justified and your experience is clearly unacceptable; but it is just a machine that needs returning and replacing. It does not mean that all new MBPs are bad, so it is not exactly bad news for everyone.

Good luck.

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
I just talked with an AppleCare rep (he called me after seeing posts on the Apple forum) and provided him with all the crash reports info and the crypto_var errors.

I just finished booting from recovery, wiping my hard drive, restoring from a Time Machine backup (of this machine from earlier today), and reinstalling Mac OS 10.13.6 and the 10.13.6 Supplemental Update. The crypto_val errors are gone after wiping the hard drive. Time will tell if the machine crashes with the Bridge OS error again.

Thanks for this, I did a disk check (luckily after doing a time machine backup) from the recovery partition and it had the crypto thingy errors, when I rebooted it had knackered my OS and asked for a reinstall. I did a time machine restore same as you but I was scared to do another disk check (as it took 1 1/2 hours to reinstall and I assumed the errors would be just put back onto the drive). After reading your post I gave it a go and sure enough the disk check has come back ok this time.

Just wanted to say thanks :)

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
DQ3t8SsUIAA68cv.jpg_large.jpeg
There is you just have to turn it off (the protection) this is easy as long as you have an administrator account on the drive, people are getting into trouble by wiping the drive first then finding out they cant turn off the T2 protection.

Reactions: OSX15

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Your frustration is justified and your experience is clearly unacceptable; but it is just a machine that needs returning and replacing. It does not mean that all new MBPs are bad, so it is not exactly bad news for everyone.

Good luck.
Actually yes it is because more and more users are starting to confirm that you cannot do a clean install of macOS on these new machines. Apple has screwed something up and they get caught in a loop and will not install the OS. I venture to say that once even more people start to realize this that it is going to be as bad as the throttling issue was. If you have a 2018 I dare you to try and do a clean macOS install. Let me know how that works out for you. You end up with a machine you cannot use at all!
[doublepost=1532698399][/doublepost]
View attachment 773020 There is you just have to turn it off (the protection) this is easy as long as you have an administrator account on the drive, people are getting into trouble by wiping the drive first then finding out they cant turn off the T2 protection.
I did that. You still cannot do a clean install of macOS the machine gets stuck in the loop!

Last edited:

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
I was replying to the install of linux, I agree the install of osx is knackered (well it was when I tried) I could only restore from time machine nothing else worked (USB key latest ver of OSX or network image)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I was replying to the install of linux, I agree the install of osx is knackered (well it was when I tried) I could only restore from time machine nothing else worked (USB key latest ver of OSX or network image)
How can Apple get away with this? Releasing a whole line up MBP computers that you CANNOT reinstall the OS cleanly?!?!

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
Got mine 8 days ago and broke it 12 hrs later, I just assumed the installer would be fixed by now ( I think some users have reported to be able to network boot from apple servers) but I don't want to run the risk of having to reinstall again. I plan to do a fresh install when 1013.7 is available or Mojave, whichever comes first. If you still cant install from a USB I wont be very happy.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Got mine 8 days ago and broke it 12 hrs later, I just assumed the installer would be fixed by now ( I think some users have reported to be able to network boot from apple servers) but I don't want to run the risk of having to reinstall again. I plan to do a fresh install when 1013.7 is available or Mojave, whichever comes first. If you still cant install from a USB I wont be very happy.
So you have reported this same issue to Apple then, that you cannot do a clean macOS install?

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Got mine today, after putting it in clam shell mode while i went for dinner. I came back with a frozen mac, once reboot the error log shows BridgeOS crashed.

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
So you have reported this same issue to Apple then, that you cannot do a clean macOS install?
Nope, unless I need to do a fresh install and can't again then I will, mines running fine now and checkdisk reports no errors so I'm happy. They really should have had a working OS you could reinstall from scratch but as apple employees don't even know when a product is going to be launched I'm guessing the tech staff arent told either that they have to have the files ready for customers. Thats the trouble with apple - so secretive.

Tribeca

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2004
New Jersey, USA
The Restart issues has been ongoing now since last year with iMac Pros, and continues to the best of my knowledge unresolved. The Apple Discussion Forum at https://discussions.apple.com/message/33585049?start=195&tstart=0 speaks of the "engineers at Apple" working diligently on this, yet there seems to be a lack of transparency.

Sure hope that Apple issues an "official status report" soon as there are many businesses depending on getting this issue resolved ASAP.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
View attachment 772962
[doublepost=1532644521][/doublepost]Does anyone really think this could be hardware related? I can’t imagine the scale of a recall this would create.

All the T2 machines have those crypto val errors fresh out of the box, even Apple’s own display models. I don’t know if it’s related to the crashes though.

Tried all that. Even tried installing from a 10.13.6 bootable USB that works perfect on my iMP. Apple has altered something about these 2018 MBPs and screwed things up. I would love for someone else to try and do a clean install and see what happens.

I have the 13" 2018 and do not get the KPs, but I was seeing the crypto val errors is Disk Utility First Aid like you two gents.

I found some posts in the Apple Support forums from iMac Pro (uses the T2) users who had this issue and it was resolved by a wipe and reinstall. So I did a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery, erased the drive to APFS, then reinstalled and all is well and the error is gone.

@StudioSanctum have you tried command-option-r Internet recovery and not just regular command-r recovery.

If you are trying TM restores or installs from USB keys made in other Macs, that won't work, since these machines are using a custom/special build of 10.13.6.

Only other thing I can think of I may have done differently than you is when I first booted the new MacBook, I did a command-r boot to recovery and used that firmware security utility to password protect the boot process (similar to the old firmware password). So when I ultimately booted to Internet recovery, it prompted me for that firmware password to allow a boot to another source, and everything worked fine after that.

Hope this helps you.

Reactions: M.Rizk

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
So far my 2018 MacBook Pro i9 is good! No Problems

When I got my iMac Pro in January it restarted once every day the first month or so when using Blender. However after the first patches of Mac OS X it did never happen again.

Markarian421

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
SFBay
Interesting, I have not had a single instance of this with my iMac Pro (first batch, purchased the day they were released), though it should be noted that mine never sleeps (just the screen).

That's interesting, Mine is set up the same way, but was still having occasional kernel panics when I wasn't using the computer. I haven't had one since the last update. Before this, I usually just shut it off and never left it running overnight, and doing that I went several weeks without a kernel panic. But then my pattern of use changed and I was leaving it on all the time, and sometimes I'd come back and find there'd been a kernel panic.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I have the 13" 2018 and do not get the KPs, but I was seeing the crypto val errors is Disk Utility First Aid like you two gents.

I found some posts in the Apple Support forums from iMac Pro (uses the T2) users who had this issue and it was resolved by a wipe and reinstall. So I did a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery, erased the drive to APFS, then reinstalled and all is well and the error is gone.

@StudioSanctum have you tried command-option-r Internet recovery and not just regular command-r recovery.

If you are trying TM restores or installs from USB keys made in other Macs, that won't work, since these machines are using a custom/special build of 10.13.6.

Only other thing I can think of I may have done differently than you is when I first booted the new MacBook, I did a command-r boot to recovery and used that firmware security utility to password protect the boot process (similar to the old firmware password). So when I ultimately booted to Internet recovery, it prompted me for that firmware password to allow a boot to another source, and everything worked fine after that.

Hope this helps you.
I tried command-option-r still loops. And I turned off boot security completely first.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
That's interesting, Mine is set up the same way, but was still having occasional kernel panics when I wasn't using the computer. I haven't had one since the last update. Before this, I usually just shut it off and never left it running overnight, and doing that I went several weeks without a kernel panic. But then my pattern of use changed and I was leaving it on all the time, and sometimes I'd come back and find there'd been a kernel panic.
Actually, now that you mention it, I do occasionally (like maybe once every week or two) in the morning find that something peculiar has happened... the several external drives that I typically keep attached but unmounted are showing up on the desktop, as if the machine had restarted at some point overnight. I don't recall ever seeing any kind of message that indicated a KP had occurred though. I'll pay more attention to it next time it happens.

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
I have been experiencing this issue as well since day one. This only happens while the MBP goes to sleep, usually after a couple of hours into it, when I try to wake the MBP up it doesn't responds. Sometimes I get a crash report, some times like today I do not. This is the latest in the logs that I could dig from this morning:

Code:
Jul 27 06:28:43 xxx-MBP syslogd[39]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jul 27 06:28:54 xxx-MBP systemstats[50]: assertion failed: 17G2208: systemstats + 914800 [D1E75C38-62CE-3D77-9ED3-5F6D38EF0676]: 0x40
Jul 27 06:29:24 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jul 27 06:29:36 xxx-MBP kcm[775]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?
Jul 27 11:20:24 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1532704824 778411
Jul 27 11:20:26 localhost syslogd[39]: Configuration Notice:

Notice the jump in time from 06:29:36 to 11:20:24 EST when my MBP did not wake pop and just booted from scratch. All of these after I reinstalled/re-patched the OS to get rid of the crypto errors that I noticed I also had yesterday.

I have two LG Ultra HD Displays connected each directly using a USB-C -> DisplayPort. Its the only things plugged to this MAC, I will try unplugging them and putting the computer to sleep to see if it happens again.

I have enable/disabled all settings possible related to activities that may interfere with the sleep process, none of that has helped.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How exactly is that done now?
command-r boot to recovery then in the Utilities menu launch the Startup Security Utility and turn on a firmware password. Then restart into Internet recovery. You should get a prompt to enter firmware password you set, then it proceeds with the usual grey spinning globe as the recovery utility downloads.

Once that comes up, start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD to APFS. Then quit DU and click reinstall OS.

This worked for me and setting that FW password is the only thing I can see here I did differently.

DQ3t8SsUIAA68cv.jpg_large.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
command-r boot to recovery then in the Utilities menu launch the Startup Security Utility and turn on a firmware password. Then restart into Internet recovery. You should get a prompt to enter firmware password you set, then it proceeds with the usual grey spinning globe a recovery utility download.

Once that comes up, start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HS to APFS. Then quit DU and click reinstall OS.

This worked for me and setting that FW password is the only thing I can see here I did differently.

View attachment 773092
I’ll try that after they replace my MBP because as of now it’s a brick. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.