Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So in the midst of trying to do a clean install of macOS on my new MBP I discovered yet ANOTHER oversight on Apple's part that has to do with startup security settings. I have documented it here in a video. All I can do at this point is SMH.

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
I have just returned my MacBook Pro/18 to Apple. I cannot continue to have this crashes while on sleep mode, it completely messes up my work flow.

I’m really sad! I love Macs... I’ll just wait until things get better. (I might just try Windows after 12 years)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I have just returned my MacBook Pro/18 to Apple. I cannot continue to have this crashes while on sleep mode, it completely messes up my work flow.

I’m really sad! I love Macs... I’ll just wait until things get better. (I might just try Windows after 12 years)
It is a sad state of affairs at Apple for us Mac lovers. I feel your pain. What can we do to help mitigate change?

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
This thread is very disconcerting. I have been anxiously waiting to go get my 2018 15" MBP, but am just not going to do it until this gets resolved. I truly feel bad for those of you doing involuntary beta testing for Apple. Inexcusable.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
I hear echoes of Steve Jobs' email to staff back in 2008 regarding MobileMe. Just replace "MobileMe" with "MacBook Pro".

---------------
"The launch of MobileMe was not our finest hour. There are several things we could have done better:
  • MobileMe was simply not up to Apple’s standards – it clearly needed more time and testing."
---------------

And later...

---------------
"After gathering employees in the Apple auditorium, Jobs asked them, “Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?” When a few bold individuals began to answer him, Jobs snapped: “So why the f**k doesn’t it do that?”

He spent the next hour berating the group. He scolded them for tarnishing Apple’s reputation. And he told them they “should hate each other for having let each other down.”

He then fired the head of the team..."
---------------

Sounds like a Jobs style a$$ whooping is whats missing at Apple these days.

https://www.cultofmac.com/495868/today-in-apple-history-steve-jobs-acknowledges-mobileme-failure/

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union
I hear echoes of Steve Jobs' email to staff back in 2008 regarding MobileMe. Just replace "MobileMe" with "MacBook Pro".

---------------
"The launch of MobileMe was not our finest hour. There are several things we could have done better:
  • MobileMe was simply not up to Apple’s standards – it clearly needed more time and testing."
---------------

And later...

---------------
"After gathering employees in the Apple auditorium, Jobs asked them, “Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?” When a few bold individuals began to answer him, Jobs snapped: “So why the f**k doesn’t it do that?”

He spent the next hour berating the group. He scolded them for tarnishing Apple’s reputation. And he told them they “should hate each other for having let each other down.”

---------------

https://www.cultofmac.com/495868/today-in-apple-history-steve-jobs-acknowledges-mobileme-failure/

No doubt about it! You see, my biggest problem here, the one thing that has been truly damaged/deteriorated with everything that is going on lately, is the TRUST and/or peace of mind that most of us were willing to pay premium for.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010

---------------
---------------

And later...

---------------

---------------

Yup. And what’s Timmy doing?

Having a jolly around the world and eating free sandwiches.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
For those with MBP that have experienced kernel panic:

1) Is anyone having KP issues unrelated to sleep, or is sleep always involved?

Sleep is implicated in many KP it seems, but is it all?

2) Are external devices being attached implicated, or does the problem happen even with no devices attached?

LG monitors have been mentioned in more than one post.

3) Have hardware swaps been effective so far with MBP? (as far as you can tell)

So far, two users have posted in this thread that they haven’t had any further issues since swapping out the hardware. It’s too early to know if that will hold, but has anyone who swapped hardware had a recurrence of the KP failure.

Off-topic alert

I know it’s cathartic to bitch, moan and whine but maybe it would be more productive to do that in another thread.

This one risks being derailed to the point of making it useless for its purpose. On-topic posts getting buried in the noise helps no one.

Cusa

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The Union

2) Are external devices being attached implicated, or does the problem happen even with no devices attached?

So far, two users have posted in this thread that they haven’t had any further issues since swapping out the hardware. It’s too early to know if that will hold, but has anyone who swapped hardware had a recurrence of the KP failure.

Off-topic alert

I know it’s cathartic to bitch, moan and whine but maybe it would be more productive to do that in another thread.

This one risks being derailed to the point of making it useless for its purpose. On-topic posts getting buried in the noise helps no one.

1-) For me yes, although not all of them generated crash reports. It just wouldn't come back from sleep and the MBP booted like if it was previously turned off.

2-) I had 2 LG Ultrafine LCD monitors connected to my returned MBP. They were connected directly using USB-C to DisplayPort high quality cables. I recalled testing with no monitor plugged to it and it did failed the same way.

3-) Did not go that far, I was offered that by Apple Support but it would take some time to get a new one since mine had the i9/32GB specs.. I did not want to go through it so i opted for the refund. I tried to keep it for 10 days before returning it, I even endured the whole throttle fiasco. I needed to get back to work so i am back to using my trusty iMac 2014.

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
When my computer is asleep, I also find that it tries to wake up my external monitor (an LG connected via the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter) periodically. Reading around, I found someone else who said his kept sending wake up commands to his external Thunderbolt displays. Seems like this 'puter doesn't understand what "sleeping" is.

I've just tested with my Dell U2518DX and I get something similar, periodically saying "Scanning for Signal" then shutting off. It looks like it isn't just LG monitors that are affected :(

Reactions: eagerwu

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I've just tested with my Dell U2518DX and I get something similar, periodically saying "Scanning for Signal" then shutting off. It looks like it isn't just LG monitors that are affected :(
Could this be a situation where the monitor generates a signal which is misinterpreted by the T2 as being a security breach and puts it into a panic? I am of course grasping, and thinking out loud.

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Could this be a situation where the monitor generates a signal which is misinterpreted by the T2 as being a security breach and puts it into a panic? I am of course grasping, and thinking out loud.
Honestly this could be the case, although it could be something entirely unrelated though. What I can say is that this is entirely disappointing for a $2500+ laptop. This is my first Mac as I decided to go Apple to replace a Dell XPS 15 that was frankly a bit of a joke in terms of quality, due to their supposed better engineering (and their better support, which is definitely true). I'd be distraught if it turns out this laptop is no better than the Dell.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015

Didn’t someone say here that they tested without a monitor connected and it still KPanicked?

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Didn’t someone say here that they tested without a monitor connected and it still KPanicked?
That applies to me - the one and only kernel panic I've got relating to BridgeOS was with me moving around all day, with absolutely no connection to any external devices bar the power adapter.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Anyone here know why startup security cannot be re-enabled once it has been disabled?

Reactions: p8blr

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Poking around with some of the developers, one of them pointed out that this is not a normal kernel panic. It's a panic in the embedded OS that causes the machine restart itself.

Reactions: ricky1989

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Poking around with some of the developers, one of them pointed out that this is not a normal kernel panic. It's a panic in the embedded OS that causes the machine restart itself.
Yeah, bridgeOS is the OS running on the T2 processor itself.

AppleInsider has an article on the T2 KPs, they don’t think it’s a hardware issue. They have relationships with service providers and they surveyed them about the issue as it relates to the iMac Pro. It’s very uncommon—which of course is no comfort if you’re one of those affected.

Across all the (service) centers we (surveyed) since the iMac Pro release, there have been 103 iMac Pros coming in for some form of service under warranty out of a pool of well over 100,000 incidents across all of Apple's product lines in total. Of those 103, four of them were for unexplained system crashes linked to the "bridgeOS." Of those four, a fresh macOS reinstall fixed them all.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...number-of-crashes-in-imac-pro-new-macbook-pro

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois

Off-topic alert

1) I haven't had any KP while the unit is sleeping. It seems to happen when I pick the unit up (to move from table to lap, etc). The OS will freeze, fans kick full blast for 1 sec then it reboots. The crash log does mention bug type 210 & Bridge OS though...

2) No devices attached

3) Am still deciding if I should swap or wait to see if there will be a software fix as there are clearly lots of people involved. My only concern though is because my issue happens mostly when I am physically picking it up, it seems to be hardware related that may not be able to be fixed without repair/swap.

BinarySkolex

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018

No recurrence of the Kernel Panic for me on my swapped machine. It's running like a dream. I'm loving it!

Reactions: eagerwu

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not incurring any issues (knocks on wood) with my 2018 15" 2.2 model. I leave it on most of the time, I don't prevent it from sleeping, but I've turned off secure boot for the time being.

I'm mistaken, I actually left Secure Boot set to the maximum setting. I was going to change it, but felt since I had a working machine, hesitant to alter the setting

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Studio Sacntum:

I watched your video.
Please try this, in the EXACT order presented.

1. Do a safe boot, once again.
2. Open the "security" window you had opened before
3. Referring to 1.18 in your video...
4. BEFORE you attempt to "reenable full security" GO TO THE BOTTOM PANE and click the radio button to DISABLE booting from external media.
5. DO THIS FIRST, and THEN try to re-enable full security.

Does this change things?

My -guess- is that you CAN'T re-enable "full security" UNLESS you have previously disabled booting from external media (you did not do that in your video).

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Studio Sacntum:

I watched your video.
Please try this, in the EXACT order presented.

1. Do a safe boot, once again.
2. Open the "security" window you had opened before
3. Referring to 1.18 in your video...
4. BEFORE you attempt to "reenable full security" GO TO THE BOTTOM PANE and click the radio button to DISABLE booting from external media.
5. DO THIS FIRST, and THEN try to re-enable full security.

Does this change things?

My -guess- is that you CAN'T re-enable "full security" UNLESS you have previously disabled booting from external media (you did not do that in your video).
I have tried this. It does not work. Thank you though for trying to help. I really appreciate anyone trying to help troubleshoot this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.